Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Superhawk and Wheelies

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 05:18 PM
SuperSport

ranchomice is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Tweety
Theere is wheelies and then there is wheelies... I do consistantly carry the front in 2-3 when hard on the power... Ie front wheel 1-2" over the tarmac before it goes down and you shift...

Then there is the high balance point dumb-*** stuff... That has no place on a public road... I do it very rarely, but on the occasion I do get the urge...

BINGO, the "wheelies" I'm referring to are mostly inadvertant "lightening" of the front end upon hard shifts. The front will come up higher in 1st gear and it's fun once in a while but not to balance point. There's really no purpose for that, is there? Unless you're showing off or you're "stunting"....right?
Old 05-23-2010, 05:55 PM
jet wrench
Back Marker

loserbaby is on a distinguished road
I was caught with my front end breaking pavement by a fellow rider, one day as I shifted to second. I was scolded and told to never claim that as a wheelie. So, yes the SHawk front wheel will easily break pavement under hard acceleration. I only consider wheelies, as those, standing upright near balance point... and NOT on my personal accomplishments list. Sure is fun to lift a little though... have also heard that is good for serious fines and beyond in the lovely state of California...
Old 08-11-2010, 08:26 AM
Superstock

pwshadow is on a distinguished road
Ok so I live in Denver and I have read that power wheelies are possible on the hawk. I can rip the throttle all the way to red line in first and second and the front wheel never comes up. I can clutch it up in 1st. Is there some trick to doing it clutchless?
Old 08-11-2010, 08:29 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

FL02SupaHawk996 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by pwshadow
Ok so I live in Denver and I have read that power wheelies are possible on the hawk. I can rip the throttle all the way to red line in first and second and the front wheel never comes up. I can clutch it up in 1st. Is there some trick to doing it clutchless?
Do you have stock gearing IIRC it's 16/41? I'd suggest going to 43 teeth on rear sprocket...
Old 08-11-2010, 09:11 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
The VTR will quite easily do powerwheelies in first and second just as it comes of the showroom floor... Stock engine & stock gearing...

First of, do this on closed of grounds... Do it on public roads and I'll come visit with a baseball bat...

First gear, get the bike rolling... low revs, the point where you roll smoothly without "burbling"... Sit in the middle of the saddle, good grip... Put some weight forward, compressing the forks and then shift your weight back as you open the throttle abruptly... Shifting your weight back takes weight of the forks, helping you up...
You are not supposed to yank up on the handlebars, do that and you end up going over when you get the timing right, as the bike has more than enough grunt to loop it...

And before you start saying it doesn't work... The thing is, I'm pretty sure that a lot of people here have never gone full throttle on the hawk... And even fewer have gone for full throttle abrubtly from just off idle... Believe me, the bike is capable of flipping end over end... Easily... So take care...

I can do that in first and second, and with a bit of bouncing, even third... And i have a longer swingarm putting more weight forward... Altough I do also have a bit more hp than stock and a lighter flywheel...
Old 08-11-2010, 09:27 AM
Superstock

I live at 5280ft above sea level. Do you think the bike has enough power at this elevation to lift up on its own?
Old 08-11-2010, 09:42 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RK1
Even when brand new bone stock, sprockets, jetting, pipes, my VTR would power wheelie easily at sea level, 6000 ft. and anywhere in between.

No matter how far I lean forward, no matter how long I wait through the rpm band, I've never been able to go full throttle/clutch all out in first without lofting the wheel at least a little.
I'm 6'4" 210 pounds, and I can't stop it from lofting the wheel... Higher up in the revband, yeah... But not off idle, not even a chance in first or second... If I want to leave a stoplight without lofting the wheel I have to work at it... Usually I don't bother...

So yeah, elevation isn't a factor in this...
Old 08-11-2010, 10:08 AM
Superstock

Maybe my bike has an issue. I will try sitting more upright and see if that helps.