Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Stock fork spring and spacer length

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 02:49 AM
Squid

roisman is on a distinguished road
Stock fork spring and spacer length

Hi! The forums have been very helpful in providing information on getting my Hawk to run and handle better.
Just want to ask guys here who have had experience in dismantling their front forks. I had cleaned up my forks and changed the oil last week and then had put them back again. But I took measurements of the spring inside and the spacer. What prompted me to do this was while inspecting the spacers I noticed that there were scratches or marks looking like that they had been cut down in length.
Took measurements and this is what I got:
spacer height: 64mm
spring free height: 375mm

They are progressive springs but not really sure if they are still the stock bits. I bought the bike used almost three years ago and the former owner is also not sure as he was the second owner already.
Are these the stock springs?
Old 03-25-2008, 03:45 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

gboezio is on a distinguished road
My stockers measured 311 mm and are dual rates, the manual says the stockers are 309 mm springs free lenght, havent measured the spacers but my forks were hanging halfway preload maxed out so it may not be a good référence.
So I,ll say they are non stock and the spacer was cut to compensate for the new lenght
Old 03-25-2008, 10:43 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by roisman
Hi! The forums have been very helpful in providing information on getting my Hawk to run and handle better.
Just want to ask guys here who have had experience in dismantling their front forks. I had cleaned up my forks and changed the oil last week and then had put them back again. But I took measurements of the spring inside and the spacer. What prompted me to do this was while inspecting the spacers I noticed that there were scratches or marks looking like that they had been cut down in length.
Took measurements and this is what I got:
spacer height: 64mm
spring free height: 375mm

They are progressive springs but not really sure if they are still the stock bits. I bought the bike used almost three years ago and the former owner is also not sure as he was the second owner already.
Are these the stock springs?
Probably not stock... You should be able to get a good shop to measure them for you and get a baseline for what weight they arer supposed to be for...