Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Odd problem looking for suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 05:42 AM
Always Learning
Back Marker

AdamK is on a distinguished road
Odd problem looking for suggestions

Kinda premature with this I think but thought I would get some insight before I freak out and blow up my SH.

On my way home last night from work, I had a complete shut down. It was dark out, and I was not switching head light from low to high just cruising at about 45 when BAM!!! OUtta no where everything went black. NOTHING!!!

I ended up pulling in the clutch and coasting to of course the only street that did not have street lights to scratch my head and say "huh".

Pulled the seat off to see if my iphone would have enought light to try and see SOMETHING melted so I would know it was obvious but couldn't. So, had a buddy pick me up w/ trailer and brought it home and put her to bed. I was way too tired to do any research as to my issue but as I stated before, I was ready to explode and I did not want to take it out on the bike.

There is nothing... zip zero nadda... no power whatsoever. So is there a main area to check first?

I check the battery connections and stuff with the light of the phone, and it is a new battery but it didn't slow down it went capoot dead.

Thoughts?
Old 04-15-2010, 05:53 AM
SuperSport

residentg is on a distinguished road
Your Regulator Rectifier (RR) probably melted. Lots of resent threads on this, many choices, not a hard fix if nothing else was affected.

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=14380
Old 04-15-2010, 05:56 AM
SuperBike

Old Yeller is on a distinguished road
check the main fuse. it should be about 30 amp, I believe. The larger question is why it popped. You may have a short someplace.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:12 AM
Superstock

ttocsmai is on a distinguished road
Could be just the negative battery cable came loose also, along with the other suggestions from the better of them all
Old 04-15-2010, 06:12 AM
Always Learning
Back Marker

Hey residentg, is there a way to tell or test the rr to see if it was in fact that?
Old 04-15-2010, 06:22 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
You know... Just a theory, there could be a lot of information about this in older threads... Just since it's a fairly common problem I mean... I wonder if there is an easy way to find that information...

Lemme know if you figure out such a way... I'd be interested to know...
Old 04-15-2010, 06:46 AM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by AdamK
Hey residentg, is there a way to tell or test the rr to see if it was in fact that?
Look for melted wires, smell it. Those are the easy tests. The others are in the manual, see KB area. JB
Old 04-15-2010, 07:02 AM
SuperSport

I found my high school text book...
Old 04-15-2010, 08:08 AM
SuperBike

Old Yeller is on a distinguished road
Try jump starting it from your car battery. if it still doesn't turn over, it's not the Reg/Rec. If it does turn over and/or start, then the R/R is a great starting point to test since it's a common failure point.

You could also test the battery voltage at rest. it should read somewhere between 12.3 and 12.8. If it's low, again, potential R/R problem.

Checking the ground wires is a great idea too. sometimes things vibrate loose.

I'd still check that main fuse too though.
Old 04-15-2010, 05:19 PM
Superstock

dshakes is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Tweety
You know... Just a theory, there could be a lot of information about this in older threads... Just since it's a fairly common problem I mean... I wonder if there is an easy way to find that information...

Old 04-15-2010, 05:26 PM
SuperSport

+1 on the -1.
Old 04-15-2010, 05:53 PM
Superstock

spladle160 is on a distinguished road
If everything went all at once that sounds nothing like an rr failure. How would an rr failure suddenly remove all power from everything, your battery would keep everything going til it drained. Probably a main fuse or bad battery connection. But like previously stated the main fuse blowing is only a symptom of another problem and unless it was raining or you just washed the bike probably not one that will go away on it's own. I feel you tweety.

Last edited by spladle160; 04-15-2010 at 05:57 PM.
Old 04-15-2010, 05:58 PM
SuperBike

drew_c14 is on a distinguished road

+5000
Old 04-15-2010, 07:09 PM
Back Marker

NAVY8TR is on a distinguished road
you guys crack me up. I'm glad to know I can count on you for entertainment and humor
Old 04-16-2010, 01:43 AM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by spladle160
If everything went all at once that sounds nothing like an rr failure. How would an rr failure suddenly remove all power from everything, your battery would keep everything going til it drained. Probably a main fuse or bad battery connection. But like previously stated the main fuse blowing is only a symptom of another problem and unless it was raining or you just washed the bike probably not one that will go away on it's own. I feel you tweety.
I was thinking that maybe the RR failing caused the fuses to blow. Something has to be the cause of a blown fuse, although I had an old style glass tube fuse seperate at the end cap once!
Old 04-16-2010, 01:44 AM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by drew_c14
+5000
-5001 on the +5000
Old 04-16-2010, 05:04 AM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
Holy ****! Here we go again. Dshakes and Residentg, thanks for being active here in the recent past. Really. But seriously, put a (-1) cause Tweety is telling it like it is.

This guy OBVIOUSLY hasn't used the search function, or he'd find the EXACT same answers in multiple other posts.

I used to defend the noobs, but I'm with some of the elder fellows now, USE THE ******* SEARCH FUNCTION! If you don't find what you're looking for then ask.

But DAMN, lost all power. Let me think about it, yep, seen it on here before. Regulator/Rectifiers, hell, those have only been talked about, lets say and honest 100 times. Main fuse, where it's located, how many amps, YEP all been discussed in length. Batteries, yep, beaten to death. Hell, the guy that you're giving the (-1) to, even told you about the A123 battery that he built.

This guy, Tweety, shares as much info on here as anyone. A lot of it is unique stuff that people want to copy. You're lucky i'm not him, i wouldn't share anything anymore.

Finally, read his signature, he's harsh to newbies. DEAL WITH IT.

Adam, you've got 86 posts, and I'd bet you've read 1000. Do a search, at least make a veiled attempt to come up with the answer yourself, then get back to us.
Old 04-16-2010, 05:58 AM
Always Learning
Back Marker

Thanks Erice, I did, and the search fucksion sucks. So as stated in my post I thought I would throw the question out there before I had a chance to look at it. I did not force anyone to read this post OR reply to it. lighten the **** up.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:03 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

FL02SupaHawk996 is on a distinguished road
Check your dilithium crystals cuz sounds like they need realigned Captain!
Old 04-16-2010, 07:06 AM
MotoGP

Yep... It most certainly sucks... It doesn't come over and fix your bike for you...

It does however give you some 30 threads with the same information as above, and a whole lot more... Including a link to a step by step fault finding guide... The only thing you need to do is to put in "regulator" or "rectifier" and hit search... The two together works even better...

If you still think it sucks, explain why... And before you go of with another rude post... Think... I have not been rude to you (Ironic and perhaps a bit condescending, but then again, you invited that, so you get that as a bonus) You have most certainly been rude, albeit not specificly to me... If the post includes something along the last wording in the last post I will indeed probably choose not to read your posts in the future (atleast not respond to them)... If anyone needs to lighten up here it's not me... I say this because if you consider it justified to respond that way to the above rather polite answers... Well... Your problem...

No, you didn't force me to read your post... I however gave you a perfectly good answear to your problem even though I didn't giftwrap it... But IF you expect that, I'd expect you to pay for it, not get it free on a forum... Try going to a shop and getting your questions answeared... They'll charge you by the hour and suck up to you... To get it for free you could consider being a bit humble... Or alternative putting up with my wierd humour...

Now for the rest of you, I'm done with that discussion... I have been through it several times before most of you joined this site, and a couple of times after a few of you joined... Hence the signature... This reply and my conversation was directed at AdamK, not you... Mayhap we can continue the discussion once you have been around here a couple of years, and seen some ten post every month being carbon copies of each others?

Eric... Thanks... But I like being around here, and once in a while a newbie actually surprises me by referencing an old thread and asking a new question, or atleast an old one with a new twist... And some of the newbies are around asking new questions after starting out with the same old... And there are others around here that know a hell of a lot more than me about several topics...

Last edited by Tweety; 04-16-2010 at 07:12 AM.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:07 AM
Always Learning
Back Marker

I KNEW I was missing something. , thnx Flo
Old 04-16-2010, 07:08 AM
Always Learning
Back Marker

Sorry Tweety that wasn't for you.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:18 AM
MotoGP

Heh... No worries... I like being grumpy... It's my hobby... So If you guys don't give me a reason now and again I'd probably find one...

Oh... And sorry if I came on a bit strong... I kinda do that sometimes...
Old 04-16-2010, 07:22 AM
MotoGP

BTW since we are all playing nice... I used the suckengine to find the link I talked about... http://www.electrosport.com/technica...ng-diagram.pdf

It's a basic step by step to finding out what part of your charging system is on the fritz...
Old 04-16-2010, 07:28 AM
MotoGP

BUT you have a point... It does suck as it should be able to search "R/R" and "CCT"... But oh well...
Old 04-16-2010, 07:28 AM
Always Learning
Back Marker

Heh... No worries... I like being grumpy... It's my hobby... So If you guys don't give me a reason now and again I'd probably find one...

Oh... And sorry if I came on a bit strong... I kinda do that sometimes...
Heehee, C'mon, Your signature sums it up what more could I ask for.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:30 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by AdamK
Heehee, C'mon, Your signature sums it up what more could I ask for.
At least I come with a warning label...
Old 04-16-2010, 07:44 AM
SuperSport

Here's the thing. This is the best forum that I have been a member of. The Hawk GT forum is a close second I will add. My SH is real nice as a result. I learn by helping others. I search all over for answers, not just on the forum, but all over the web and my own library. I enjoy it - beats watching that junk on TV, except for 24. My guess is that 50% of my fixing time, whether online or in my garage is for a bike that is not mine, mostly my son's friends (3 of them called my on my 50th to wish me a happy birthday). Anyway I do not mind answering the dumb questions that can easily be searched for because I now know the answer too. My hit rate is pretty good, and I hoped that I have helped others, and I usually add the link to the answer or direct them to it - look at my responses above. I get enough **** from my boss (when I had one) and the DB cops that just love to pull me over when I am minding my own business going 100mph around the reservoir because I can now that my bike works so well because of you guys.

I can see why you guys get upset by some of this, I do not take issue with it, so I will now keep quiet.

JB
Old 04-16-2010, 07:49 AM
MotoGP

Heh... Don't worry... If I was upset by it, I wouldn't be here... Keep talking, please... You can be the designated welcomer if you like...

I usually stay out of the threads, but sometimes the tempation gets the better of me... And since friendly grumpy is my standard mode according to those that know me in RL... well...
Old 04-16-2010, 08:00 AM
SuperSport

Cool, but I must admit, some of these request are just plain lame and I will not respond either:

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=22224

Thanks for all the help!

JB

Quick Reply: Odd problem looking for suggestions