Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

MWR Racing filter development plans

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 12:32 PM
Another OCMD victim...
Back Marker

Firestorm996 is on a distinguished road
Seems the project is going to sleep, couldnt find any news so far. The last post was Wed Mar 14, 2012.
Personally i have serious doubts it will work, how many already tried their luck with a open lid setup....
I am going to send a email to MWR direct and will post the findings. Maybe Mikstr knows more...?
Old 04-05-2012, 11:10 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

chemomche is on a distinguished road
i still do can`t find out where does the plate stays - facing the carb or the outside of the box

yep, i saw all the pics of VTR air box with MWR filter with the plate on the outside, but the working principles of the "turbolence stopping" filter are described opposite in the site -

look

"INSTALLATION : The airplitterplate always in direction of the engine intakes."

so may be that is tcausing the issues with the Hawks.....the filter is installed the wrong way so it cannot work properly

Anyone thinking my way?
Old 04-06-2012, 07:59 AM
SuperBike

scottiemann is on a distinguished road
I understand what your saying but the air box we have isnt symetrical so that would mean they messed up at MWR manufacturing these...

has anyone called them to find out, or can the plate be removed and installed on either side because if so this may help the problem with tuning...
Old 04-06-2012, 09:56 AM
Another OCMD victim...
Back Marker

True, its quite confusing, but here is a pic from a R6 with the plate on top, not facing to the carbs....so it seems it really depends on the model...
I sent a email, waiting for the response.
Attached Thumbnails MWR Racing filter development plans-r6.jpg  
Old 04-13-2012, 05:42 AM
SuperBike

scottiemann is on a distinguished road
so any word back from MWR regarding the orientation of the baffle plate?
Old 04-13-2012, 02:03 PM
Another OCMD victim...
Back Marker

The answer is:
The plate is definitely on top. Take a look at the Ducati Airfilters on the website, the first four models, same system like on the VTR's.

Other than that, i didnt see any news from the british guys who are supposed to test and dyno the airfilter...
Old 04-14-2012, 12:13 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Actually, you guys are hung up on a theory I think you might not have understood entirely... In terms of airflow and turbulence, it will make absolutely no difference what-so-ever if the plate is on top or on the bottom...

The air inside the airbox is turbulent and bouncing all over... The plate is there to create an even flow of air to both carbs in the example of the VTR... It does so by making the airflow go from all edges at once, meeting in the middle... It doesn't remove turbulence, since thats completely impossible, instead it uses the turbulence to direct the flow...

Yes, the theoretic principle they quote is sound, you accelerate the air, to make the volume of air inside greater... But you cannot "calm" the air... You will create new turbulence when the airflow combines in the middle... But as long as that is where the carb intakes are, that's fine...

In terms of why they are having trouble with the bike behaving like when running with an open airbox, that's easy to explain... BECAUSE IT IS!

They made the same asswards assumption that all the other airfilter manufacturers did... That the VTR would like more air, huge gobs of air, like all the other airstarved bikes with to narrow airboxes... The filter material pictured will flow more air than the K&N by far, with nothing much inhibiting it... Doesn't matter much if the air is calm, or "have greater volume", if the engine cant use it, or doesn't want it...

So, run it WITH the lid, and it's about on par with the K&N... Same airflow, but hopefully better on the turbulence...

A highly modified engine will like that filter, same as the K&N... But on a stock bike, it will be allmost untuneable... That's my prediction... And you wont get me to change it...
Old 04-18-2012, 10:00 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough

But if you really want to try it, I do have a carb set up for it, though it is a track based set up and you will loose some of the bottom end because of it.