Mechanic Needed: real trouble!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 01:57 AM
Squid

superchicken is on a distinguished road
Mechanic Needed: real trouble!!

Attachment 3590

Attachment 3591

I was riding to work yesterday and I down shifted from 3rd to 2nd and a terrible grinding noise started from what seemed to be the front cylinder. I shut down and pulled off and tried to start again with the same result. I am no mechanic although I am smart and skilled in other technical area's and I need to figure out what the hell is going on. Please look at the attached pic's and please provide any helpful feedback. I have been told that I should replace the engine as it would be the cheaper alternative. I am open to any advice from experienced techs.

Aloha,

SADCHICKEN
Old 07-29-2007, 05:06 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

gboezio is on a distinguished road
Well the CCT gave way and the timing chain slipped, the only way to really know what is going on is to lift the head and inspect for bent valves and piston damage, maybe you can pull pout with two bent valves, guides.
Old 07-29-2007, 04:12 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Depends. If there was a loud crunch and a bang then you had valve to piston contact. That chain looks awfully loose. Did the motor lock up?
Old 07-29-2007, 04:29 PM
Squid

The bike did not lock up, as soon as I down shifted it just started grinding like nuts and bolts in a blender.

Originally Posted by Hawkrider
Depends. If there was a loud crunch and a bang then you had valve to piston contact. That chain looks awfully loose. Did the motor lock up?
Old 07-29-2007, 04:41 PM
Squid

Motohead
From the looks of it, unless you removed the CCT for the pic, the grinding noise was the chain slipping on the cam gears (that chain is reeeeeeally loose) which may actually have been a good thing keeping the valves from opening and hitting the piston. I'd re-time it and do a compression check before ripping into the engine and/or pulling the head.
Old 07-29-2007, 05:13 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Yeah, +1 on thinking you may have gotten VERY lucky. Still, the compression check will be required to see if there is valve damage without pulling the head(s).
Old 07-29-2007, 06:42 PM
Squid

Guidance?

Thank you all for your replies. I am very willing to do what ever I can (and that may be a bad thing) as I haven't a clue on what to do. I removed the head covers for the pics by following the service manual. The rear looked OK and when I saw the front CC hanging, I figured that was probably a bad thing. Like I said, I have the Honda Service manual and will probably try to acquire some technical assistance, but is there a place online that might show step by step instructions for a highly motivated mechanical retard? I am not afraid, just not educated. Any leads greatly appreciated. Treat me like a child as I am already exploring a new frontier. Whats in the box????

Aloha,

Eric

Originally Posted by Hawkrider
Yeah, +1 on thinking you may have gotten VERY lucky. Still, the compression check will be required to see if there is valve damage without pulling the head(s).
Old 07-29-2007, 07:17 PM
Administrator
World Champion

I think that if you have the Honda Service Manual that is all you will really need. Just follow step by step, use a circle/X method so you don't skip anything, and if you have questions then post up here and there's gonna be somebody to answer up for you.
Old 07-29-2007, 07:57 PM
Squid

Motohead
Read the service manual and take your time; you'll do fine and this site is an excellent resource if you run into a problem. I've had more than my share of CCT issues in the first 3 years I owned my bike, so I feel your pain. This engine is actually pretty easy to work on with a little mechanical sense and a service manual. BTW - you'll get varying opinions, but I'd recommend looking into a pair of APE manual CCTs.