Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

jetting and tuning, can it be this easy?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 02:31 PM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
jetting and tuning, can it be this easy?

ive got a stage 1 jet kit for my bike, putting on a pipe and filter and id like to also get the flo commander i believe its called. that thing to adjusts the carbs. im wondering if its as simple as tossing in the new jets and then hooking this thing up and tuning the bike with that? or is there more to it?
Old 10-09-2009, 02:53 PM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by uchi
ive got a stage 1 jet kit for my bike, putting on a pipe and filter and id like to also get the flo commander i believe its called. that thing to adjusts the carbs. im wondering if its as simple as tossing in the new jets and then hooking this thing up and tuning the bike with that? or is there more to it?
More to it. The Flo Commander is not a substitute for a properly jetted engine. It's more of a fine tuning device. I gotta go to work, but I'm sure others will offer their advice.
A search might yield some good information.
Old 10-09-2009, 03:05 PM
SuperBike

yup ive done some reading into it and from what im seeing you can go +/- 1 jet size with the screw. which is why i wanna jet it up 1 or 2 jets and then see if i can just use the flo commander to fine tune it and not have to worry about playing with the fuel screws on the carbs
Old 10-09-2009, 03:31 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
If you searched you found my write-up?

It's almost that easy... It's as said no substitute... But it can "patch" a bad jetting, and fine tune a good one...

So yeah, just stick it in there and fiddle with the ****... If you are running good at dead center, you did the jetting correct... If tou need more than one turn either direction you screwed up and you're not fine tuning... go back, re-jet...

It doesn't make it so that you don't have to fiddle with the carb jets and needles... But it tells you which way to go with the fiddling... You still might end up re-doing the jetting more than once... But you save the time and effort doing it blind... Or the money paying a professional(?) doing it for you...
Old 10-09-2009, 04:44 PM
Superstock

cameron is on a distinguished road
i will do almost anything to my bike but jetting! lol i just dont have the patience! i have set valves, balanced carbs,rebuilt motors, but i just cant get my carbs set right! i have jetted a couple of bikes and i dont like going back in the carbs after i just knew it was spot on. the first jet kit i installed went flawless,because it was a single carb four wheeler. but the next one was a 05 suzuki gs, two carbs and not so flawless. then i tried my katana and ahh no. so for me the shop is the best option.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:18 PM
SuperBike

That's my issue too. I don't wanna have to pull the carbs to do it again. Just frustrating to me I guess. I wonder how much a local shop would charge to tune it for me.
Old 10-10-2009, 05:27 AM
Superstock

cameron is on a distinguished road
well with the flow commander you results may be better? if you havent ever tried to jet a bike then i say give it a shot! atleast you will gain alot of knowledge about you particular carbs. i may just have to pick up one of these flow commanders.
Old 10-10-2009, 05:31 AM
Superstock

skoshere is on a distinguished road
jetting is a fun and relaxing event in frustration...!!!! take you time, look twice do things once... unlike me... dont break your TPS, like me....

Uchi - check this post out on the high mounts... https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ng+suggestions

should get you in the ballpark...
Old 10-10-2009, 06:03 AM
SuperBike

perfect thanks buddy, im gonna try those settings out, theres a guy from toronto on here that i think has similar mods to me and toronto is an hour away, ill see if i can copy his setup. the only thing is he ahs has a different brand jet kit so im not sure if they change the jet numbers on them. i know with my honda quad between 2 companies one of the jets can be a 180 and through the other a 165. thanks for the link. i just posted a question on there to make sure i can use those settings in my elevation.

Last edited by uchi; 10-10-2009 at 06:30 AM.
Old 10-10-2009, 08:15 AM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
Why don't you just install the Flo Commander without pulling the carbs? That could give you a good indication about which way you have to go with jetting. Install the air filter.Make notes. Install the pipe. Make notes. Take it from there. It reduces the number of variables with each change.
Old 10-10-2009, 08:32 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by comedo
Why don't you just install the Flo Commander without pulling the carbs? That could give you a good indication about which way you have to go with jetting. Install the air filter.Make notes. Install the pipe. Make notes. Take it from there. It reduces the number of variables with each change.
That's kind of the point about the FC... Install it, but change nothing else (or drop in a K&N)... Dial it in and if you are more than one turn of from center, go one jet in that direction, re-set and repeat... It's a lot cheaper and easier than putting the bike on a dyno... Once you have the correct main jet in there, you fiddle with needle height a bit, a litte with the screws... All the time you fine-tune with the FC, and it tells you if you are doing the right thing... It is THAT simple...

However it doesn't exclude you from doing a carbsync everytime you fiddle (makes it easier though) and taking stuff apart to swap stuff...

But that's how a carbed bike works...
Old 10-10-2009, 09:03 AM
SuperBike

Sounds like a lot of info. Ill have to read up on syncing the carbs as I've never done that. Jetting them shouldn't be an issue. I've had my spare atv carb apart to clean and stuff so this should be alright. Just a lot to learn at one time that's all.
Old 10-10-2009, 09:37 AM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Tweety
If you searched you found my write-up?

It's almost that easy... It's as said no substitute... But it can "patch" a bad jetting, and fine tune a good one...

So yeah, just stick it in there and fiddle with the ****... If you are running good at dead center, you did the jetting correct... If tou need more than one turn either direction you screwed up and you're not fine tuning... go back, re-jet...

It doesn't make it so that you don't have to fiddle with the carb jets and needles... But it tells you which way to go with the fiddling... You still might end up re-doing the jetting more than once... But you save the time and effort doing it blind... Or the money paying a professional(?) doing it for you...
tweety. I searched, but can not find your write up on this. can you locate it and put a link? thanks
Old 10-10-2009, 01:11 PM
MotoGP

Gladly, my post is at the end of this thread...

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...flow+commander
Old 10-10-2009, 02:30 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
thank you
Old 10-10-2009, 03:02 PM
MotoGP

BTW at the time I didn't own one... Now I do...