Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

(Installing!) VTR1000 SP1 wheels on my Superhawk?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 05:22 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
that is 25 percent lighter than stock rc wheels. loads lighter than stock SH wheels
Old 03-21-2009, 12:15 AM
Back Marker

mdbuehler
That works out well considering how many times I'm installing then removing the bloody thing to get things centered right

I'll need to pick up a chain alignment tool, as there are to many converging / diverging lines for my eyes to tell if its close. Stringing the chain over the sprockets though, it looks allright, so its not miles off.

The rear brake holder is contacting the rotor / wheel, so that will need to get ground back about 2mm. It is for sure a tighter fit in there! That will give me a few mm in either direction for wheel centering and aligning the chain. That I'll accomplish by offsetting either the front or rear sprockets with spacers.

Almost there!
Old 03-23-2009, 01:17 AM
Back Marker

mdbuehler
Done!

Spacing was a little tricky, as were the brakes, but its all on now.

Rear caliper holder had a few protrusions (intentionally there, no idea why) that were hitting the rotor and wheel so ground those off.

The built in spacer on it I ground a few mm off each end to narrow up and give me more lateral space to work with in centering.

The sprocked I flipped over, recessed side down which moved the teeth about 2mm to the inside.

Then I got a stack of 3/4" washers and played with the numbers until it lined up center, the brakes didn't drag and the chain was straight. I'll go back later with those washers and get proper spacers cut, but they look and work fine. Its all torqued up and ready to roll as soon as I finish the other mods.

Can't wait to see if its a notable performance change, I allready like the look!
Old 03-23-2009, 05:50 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Congrats!!!! Looks great. I'm sure it`ll run nice too (lighter wheels have a ncie effect on handling)