Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Better headlight upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 01:02 PM
Ejection Seat Fixer
Squid

74stingray is on a distinguished road
So buying the H4 realy kit and adding a silverstar bulb should provide a noticable difference in light output??
Old 09-24-2008, 01:23 PM
Superstock

sassage is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 74stingray
So buying the H4 realy kit and adding a silverstar bulb should provide a noticable difference in light output??
yes
Old 09-24-2008, 02:02 PM
Ejection Seat Fixer
Squid

74stingray is on a distinguished road
groovy....
Old 10-04-2008, 11:42 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
So I have looked and they sell silverstars in pairs for cars & singles for motorcycles. I have always bought the pairs & just had a spare. Does anyone know if there is a difference? Also which is best, the silverstars or phillips? that test listed is in euroland
Old 10-04-2008, 12:14 PM
I could ride in
SuperBike

LineArrayNut is on a distinguished road
Talking Threadjack: what's the highest wattage bulb before heat is a problem?

I'm gonna put 12ga silver plated copper teflon insulated milspec wire to the battery on a 30 amp circuit breaker as a "bus" wire. 14ga as above to three 30 amp relays for hi/lo headlight and air horn and a spare for heated hand grips to be added later. I've got an "Autopal" from india at 100/90 watts and a "Sugo" japan (prolly china) 85/80 watt. Will the added voltage and wattage create excess in the reflector shield? What's the highest wattage lamp y'all have used sucessfully? TIA 4 replies!

Last edited by LineArrayNut; 10-04-2008 at 01:14 PM.
Old 10-04-2008, 12:29 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
So I have looked and they sell silverstars in pairs for cars & singles for motorcycles. I have always bought the pairs & just had a spare. Does anyone know if there is a difference? Also which is best, the silverstars or phillips? that test listed is in euroland
What has that got to do with anything??? And as far as I can figure it would be rather stupid to make 2 identicaly marked/named bulbs in a different way, as that would increase costs without any benefit or added profit... So they should be the same...

Originally Posted by LineArrayNut
I'm gonna put 12ga silver plated copper teflon insulated milspec wire to the battery on a 30 amp circuit breaker as a "bus" wire. 14ga as above to three 30 amp relays for hi/lo healight and air horn and a spare for heated hand grips to be added later. I've got an "Autopal" from india at 100/90 watts and a "Sugo" japan (prolly china) 85/80 watt. Will the added voltage and wattage create excess in the reflector shield? What's the highest wattage lamp y'all have used sucessfully? TIA 4 replies!
Trust, me that 100/90W bulb is a good way to mess up your stock headlight, not excess in the reflector, but it will burn a big fat hole in the front of the headlight once you get stuck in traffic... The 85/80W is probably about as high as I would dare to go and not expect complications...

And yes, you will find people saying that they have used higher wattage, but none have done it with proper wiring and relays... a 100W something bulb with stock wiring isn't getting close to spec voltage and isn't that hot... At full voltage it creates a lot of heat... To much for the headlight probably...
Old 10-04-2008, 02:20 PM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Tweety
What has that got to do with anything??? And as far as I can figure it would be rather stupid to make 2 identicaly marked/named bulbs in a different way, as that would increase costs without any benefit or added profit... So they should be the same

There are different lighting standards in the US than in other countries. I'm sure if the manufacturers had their way, there wouldn't be, because it increases their costs.
Old 10-04-2008, 03:06 PM
SuperSport

Hotbrakes is on a distinguished road
I got a set of fog lights at Walmart for $15 and put them on where my front reflectors used to be. They fill in the dark areas between the bike and the low beam and add a little more brightness to the low beam. There are several styles to choose from, I've found that the round chrome lights are the best for an even beam pattern. Even during daylight the lights are superbright and have a broader intensity beam than a headlight high beam so people can see you from the sides better. $15 I can't ride without!
Name:  IMG_0491.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  72.0 KB
Or you can get the $300 lights BMW's use. I'll stick with these.
Old 10-04-2008, 03:53 PM
MotoGP

Thats a cool idea.
Old 10-04-2008, 04:12 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by CentralCoaster
There are different lighting standards in the US than in other countries. I'm sure if the manufacturers had their way, there wouldn't be, because it increases their costs.
Eh, I'm from Sweden remember?! I know of the different standards in light pattern... But that doesn't change the facts concerning the intensity and color of the light....
Old 10-05-2008, 10:59 AM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
I ordered a bulb from rallylights.com

Hella 85/80W 2400/1750 Lumens

I also ordered the H4 relay kit from easternbeaver.com, both should be here next week.

Pictures to follow.
Old 10-05-2008, 02:39 PM
Superstock

andy9743 is on a distinguished road
easternbeaver kit is i 5 min install and is very well made a definite improvement and definately worth the $.
Old 10-05-2008, 05:22 PM
SuperBike

Thanks Andy, I've been waiting to hear some feedback.

The kit combined with the bulb I bought, should make for a tremendous improvement over stock.
Old 10-05-2008, 05:52 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
let us know

Originally Posted by Erik S.
I ordered a bulb from rallylights.com

Hella 85/80W 2400/1750 Lumens

I also ordered the H4 relay kit from easternbeaver.com, both should be here next week.

Pictures to follow.
how the hi-watt bulb goes, the reflector is designed for 60w, including heat resistance. Same with the lens heat wise. With the relay-loom kit you should be good wire gage wise. I made my own relay loom but may fork out for the eastybeasty (bro barbarian in nippon) kit cuz of the small relays, that and upgrade my sriving light bulbs...
Old 10-05-2008, 07:01 PM
SuperBike

Hopefully, I don't run into any heat issues. We'll find out soon enough.

I think I remember reading from Tweety, that 85 is about the max without melting anything. He's been correct so far.....
Old 10-05-2008, 07:21 PM
MotoGP

Just put the eastern beaver in last night. Big difference. I already had an 80/100 bulb but it was sort of 2nd quality. No heat issue yet but for how easy this is and how much more you can see & be seen, everyone should do it.
Old 10-05-2008, 09:43 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
I've read the pattern on higher watt bulbs is such the increased brightness is offset by the wacky spread...

Before and after photos of patterns would be interesting to see...
Old 10-06-2008, 02:25 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Erik S.
Hopefully, I don't run into any heat issues. We'll find out soon enough.

I think I remember reading from Tweety, that 85 is about the max without melting anything. He's been correct so far.....
Nah... I just get lucky once in a while...

And I did get a big white blob on the front of my headlight from running a 120/100W bulb... And I have since then been running a 80/75W without problems, so somewhere in between there is the limit...

Hot summer day with lots of sun + gridlock where I couldn't get though on a lot of the lanes so I had to sit there... I certainly was a dumbass for not realizing and cutting the light, but still it does mean you can mess it up...

BTW I just got my HID projectors... Holy mother of.... That's bright... Now I'll just have to convince myself that one is enough... But the though of two of them burning the retina of a cager that "forgot" to cut his highbeam is tempting....
Old 10-06-2008, 01:02 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CentralCoaster
I've had trouble getting them to last more than a year or two in my cars.
I'll second that statement (silverstars blow, literally). We went through 2 bulbs in less than 1 year in our Maxima, and it went in perfectly clean. My Integra has had piaa's for over 5 years without a blow-out. Just f.y.i.