RANT! Pissed off about something? Need to get it off your chest? Do it here.

What's worse than a Bike lane-splitting?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 02:10 PM
Squid

Mendo Dave is on a distinguished road
It gets worse check this out.

Radio Show Calls for Violence Against Lane Splitters

Saturday, January 14, 2006

Yesterday morning, a San Francisco-based morning radio show announcer told his listeners that he felt it was unfair for motorcyclists to split lanes in heavy traffic.

In California, it's not illegal to lane split.

So he called for drivers to open their doors when they see a biker splitting the lane, coming up from behind.

Several bikers expressed their anger at the announcer on a Bay Area motorcycle forum.

Interestingly, immediately after calling for Jihad against bikers, his show cut to commercial which happened to be a spot for a local Yamaha dealership. The dealer learned about the announcer's remarks, and placed calls to the radio station, spoke with station manager, and got them to announce an on-air apology.

Thanks to fellow biker Hyrise for letting us know.

http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/fo...hreadid=149060

I have listened to a sound clip of the broadcast someplace before I may be able to find it.
Old 10-04-2006, 07:28 PM
Squid

Nighthawk is on a distinguished road
dang
Old 10-05-2006, 02:20 PM
Squid

Ok I found the files. One is the initial comments and the other is the following day w/ the backpedaling and promises to make it right. but it loks like I will have to post them to my website because I cant seem to upload the mp3 file here.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:51 AM
Squid

Ok here is the link with the broadcast files on it.
http://www.3dmasterpiece.com/live105.htm
Old 10-09-2006, 01:14 PM
Squid

IslandHawk is on a distinguished road
Just a heads up - the next day reply with backpeddling links to an mp3 version of the original comments. I Would definitely be interested in hearing that reply though.

Thanks for posting the link!
Old 10-09-2006, 04:04 PM
Squid

Scott V
Thumbs up

A car can be used as deadly weapon, and so can my .357.
All is fair in love and war!! I could get to it if I really needed it.
Old 10-09-2006, 07:07 PM
Squid

Ogre8472 is on a distinguished road
Guys i hear yah

San Jose Ca is no different. There have been a number of time that some bitch in a hurry has passed me in my own lane. In fact, just the other week a light blue z3 in santa cruz did just that not once but twice. I did take her miror off with my boot. The look on her face when she saw it gone was worth the discomfort. SO all i can say is like the game Road Rash. Just keep somethin' handy.
Old 10-29-2006, 11:09 PM
Squid

ietgixxers is on a distinguished road
dumb bitch drivers

i just pull up next to em and let the two bros do the talkin
Old 04-13-2007, 07:10 PM
Squid

wtxrider is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by thegreep
The morrale of the story is that you are always in more danger on a bike than the ***** in the car. . .best to be sneeky. Follow them and remove all the stems from thier tires when they aren't looking. that's what that little stem tool on motorcycle wheels is really for any way.
haha, i have done that a few times, it works well, then go down a block or so, and wait, its hilarious when they walk out
Old 04-13-2007, 10:55 PM
Superstock

johnnyhonda is on a distinguished road
I had a guy just about run me of the road becuase he was on his cellphone. I was having a bad day to begin with and that didn't help matters. So I followed him untill he moved back in to the right lane. I moved in to the left lane got up next to him and started to yell a him. He blow me off and moved his phone from his right ear to his left earso he wouldn't have to hear me. Well this really made me mad, so when we got stopped at a red light I reached in through his window grabbed his phone and threw it at his passenger seat, and then I said "GET OFF THE F$CKING PHONE AND DRIVE!!!!!!!! then I pealed off with a finger in the air.
Old 04-14-2007, 03:47 AM
Superstock

MUHerdFan is on a distinguished road
Look at it this way....a good motorcyclist checks his/her equipment and bike for every ride. Why? So that the vehicle is safe to operate in the first place. We all know that we can die 1 minute after leaving our parking space. I love the automobile, but how many car owners check the air pressure weekly, fluid levels, etc., like, ever?

In reality, anyone who exercises the PRIVILEGE to operate a car should have to pass a road test every few years, and we should all do ourselves a favor and ban non-earbud cellphone use in cars. In addition, people should have to qualify to drive certain vehicles - that will keep most people from ever owning a car larger than a compact of midsize. Whether I'm in my Bronco or on my bike, I'm quite sick of Expeditions drifting all over the place because the driver is a.)on the freaking phone b.)has no skills c.)believes that they are entitled to drive their car however they choose because hey, they live in America, dammit.

As for the battery/bearing comments, remember that there may be another motorcyclist 10 minutes behind you - with a very, small roadhazard that wasn't there 10 minutes prior. Also, I have a concealed carry permit for WV and VA - a certain amount of restraint and responsibility comes with owning and carrying a firearm. If you are so pissed off that you have to mention pulling a firearm out for use against another motorist because he/she is a jackass, you might want to consider leaving it at home because you will either a.) end up at traffic court for road rage b.)end up in jail for brandishing a weapon, or worse, killing someone senselessly. I believe that 95% of the human population is stupid, but that's not enough reason to shoot them, albeit, I sometimes argue that fact over a beer or a double of single malt.

Please think about the last paragraph in a logical manner and free yourself of emotion before responding. It's just like riding our beloved SHawk - use your brain, not your ***** (or testosterone source, for you ladies on the list).
Old 04-14-2007, 12:46 PM
Squid

firestorm'n is on a distinguished road
I totally understand, but be careful that is a good way to get shot or thrown in jail. There should be a law in every state about these Fu^*ing cell phones. Happy Riding.
Old 04-14-2007, 03:56 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Sorry, but I was driving a car and some *** on a bike pulled a gun on me my first reaction would be to take him out by swerving into him, regardless of the fact that he is a fellow motorcyclist or not. I have a right to defend myself and if my car is my only weapon then I'll use it. Keep in mind that I'm probably not the only one that feels the same way.
Old 04-14-2007, 04:23 PM
Superstock

johnnyhonda is on a distinguished road
I don't think anyone on this forum would actually pull a gun on anyone. Kick off a mirror maybe, but shot someone I don't think so. But that's just me. I did agree with what some of the things MUHerdFan had to say, but not all.
Old 04-21-2007, 09:44 AM
Back Marker

midijunky is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by johnnyhonda
I don't think anyone on this forum would actually pull a gun on anyone. Kick off a mirror maybe, but shot someone I don't think so. But that's just me. I did agree with what some of the things MUHerdFan had to say, but not all.
The thing is, in my opinion, a car is as deadly of a weapon as a gun is. If someone is threatening your life with a car and you're on a motorcycle, I believe you should be able to protect yourself. Maybe not to the extent of shooting them, but you see what I'm getting at.

I'm sitting up here at work next to one of our guys who is missing an arm and a leg. A Lincoln Navigator lane shared with him, but he wasn't so lucky and was run off the road against a guardrail which sheared off his right leg. He bounced off of the guardrail into oncoming traffic and hit a pickup truck head on at 70-80mph. They found him several tens of yards away, and they found his bike about 30 yards away stuck up in a tree. His life changed forever because some ******* decided they were in too big of a hurry.
Old 04-21-2007, 11:54 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Hey, I agree with you fully. You HAVE to put yourself in the other guys' shoes though. You are not the one that can decide if/when that car is being used as a weapon. That's for the courts. Unfortunately that happens after the fact and with possible bad outcome. You can't pull a gun on the road! There are other ways of protecting yourself: offensive/defensive riding style, conspicuity, proper gear, awareness, proper lane positioning, risk management, etc. You wanna be safe? Don't leave the house.
Old 04-22-2007, 06:54 AM
Superstock

MUHerdFan is on a distinguished road
I posted on this thread in order to tickle everyone's minds on this forum. We are entitiled to our opinions, and I am glad that everyone feels comfortable enough to voice their opinion. No reply on this thread has been posted without thought or emotion, and all have merit, whether we agree with each other or not. That said, we all need to have a beer today at the same time!

As an avid NRA guy, I often argue exactly what MidiJunky stated - cars are deadly weapons. Anyone can operate a vehicle here, and few are punished for unacceptable behavior. How many drunk driving offenders are still driving? Some want to control guns, but few agree to tighter driving laws and restrictions. Let's face it, as motorcyclists, we are more sensitive to the stupidity of some cage operators because we have no physical cage. As Hawkrider stated, "There are other ways of protecting yourself: offensive/defensive riding style, conspicuity, proper gear, awareness, proper lane positioning, risk management, etc." I opernly admit that I have less than two years of riding under my belt, and everyday is a learning experience for me, especially on a new bike.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:22 PM
Superstock

RPV-Hawk is on a distinguished road
Rather than use the ball bearings, nuts, batteries or whatever... Slap one of these on the next car/yahoo....
http://www.aerostich.com/product.php...cat=297&page=2

They are magnets. Keep a few on your tank and slap em on the fender of the next Jerk....
Old 04-23-2007, 07:14 PM
Señor Miembro, Ay Caramba
SuperSport

Scooberhawk is on a distinguished road
Dude.. excellent.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:52 PM
BANNED IN D.C.
SuperSport

Condor is on a distinguished road
i have kicked cars in the past, but only when they really deserved it. i quit my practice of door kicking when the last one i kicked looked up from his cd player and stared at me like he was contemplating ramming me off the road. i have flashed my badge at people who get too close to my ***-end and they usually back off real fast and take the next turn....as far as taking off mirrors, the ASP baton would be about perfect and prolly be pretty easy to mount in a discrete place
Old 10-09-2007, 07:22 PM
The Hypno-Toad
Superstock
Superstock

Kendrick is on a distinguished road
It's a good concept to kick the mirror off, but there was a guy here that did that and lost control. He jumped the median and was run over by a semi. I know on the freeway I'm gonna lose. I try to just grit my teeth and carry on.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:46 PM
Superstock

HRCVTR1000 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by johnnyhonda
I had a guy just about run me of the road becuase he was on his cellphone. I was having a bad day to begin with and that didn't help matters. So I followed him untill he moved back in to the right lane. I moved in to the left lane got up next to him and started to yell a him. He blow me off and moved his phone from his right ear to his left earso he wouldn't have to hear me. Well this really made me mad, so when we got stopped at a red light I reached in through his window grabbed his phone and threw it at his passenger seat, and then I said "GET OFF THE F$CKING PHONE AND DRIVE!!!!!!!! then I pealed off with a finger in the air.
You dont know how many times I have wanted to do that ! Probably not the best( safest) thing to do . But he totally deserved it . Too bad you couldnt ****** his keys out of the ignition and throw em in the intersection or hell just take em with ya !
Old 10-09-2007, 07:49 PM
Back Marker

DrPepper is on a distinguished road
well all i do is keep police on speed dial and my ear peice in so when i am riding i just call in the plate and they get pulled over about 60% maybe just a warning but atleast they will know
Old 10-09-2007, 07:52 PM
Superstock

HRCVTR1000 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RPV-Hawk
Rather than use the ball bearings, nuts, batteries or whatever... Slap one of these on the next car/yahoo....
http://www.aerostich.com/product.php...cat=297&page=2

They are magnets. Keep a few on your tank and slap em on the fender of the next Jerk....
I like the idea ! But at $3.00 a piece I would have to set aside a extra $100 a week just to keep up with all the idiots driving around here !
Old 10-10-2007, 01:25 PM
i support twins
Superstock

BlackHawk996 is on a distinguished road
hell with that magnet i would print it out on a piece of paper and tape it to cars and change it from saying magnet to paper or sticker or whatever.

i had an incident 2 weeks ago i was was riding with my friend a fellow superhawk rider and we stopped at a stop sign i saw a car a far ways back so i turned out but my friend wasnt paying attention and he ended up behind the car and the car decided to go faster i didnt realize this had all happened so i am riding in the right hand side of the lane where a right tire would be on a car normally and i look in my mirror quickly and see something coming, thought it was my friend , one second later an old bitch in a camry goes past me half in my lane half on the other side of the road and i flipped out but didnt do anything because cops around here hate motorcycle riders and especially 18 year old kids. but hell i dont have anything on my record and dont want anything anytime soon but f people haha
Old 10-10-2007, 01:57 PM
Squid

VoodooDog is on a distinguished road
i just give these people citations...let'em tell the judge what they were doing.
Old 12-10-2007, 04:12 PM
SuperSport
SuperSport

supermarto is on a distinguished road
Don't ask me why, but all my close calls with cagers seem to be with idiots in Volvos... The safest car on the planet?...
Old 12-10-2007, 06:31 PM
Superstock

MarineHawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by supermarto
Don't ask me why, but all my close calls with cagers seem to be with idiots in Volvos... The safest car on the planet?...
Nobody said -you- were safe from -them-.
Old 12-11-2007, 05:03 PM
Remember stock is BAD!
SuperSport
SuperSport

divingindaytona is an unknown quantity at this point
When we lived down in florida, I kicked many doors and mirrors. To many oblivious people, and too many clueless blue hairs. There was a couple of times that I got off the bike and acosted the morons.

Moving up to MN things have changed. There are a LOT of people that carry conceled. So getting off the bike and going after people is no loger an option.

I like the collapsable baton idea, but I think it would lead to more legal problems than anything
Old 12-11-2007, 05:35 PM
SuperBike

drew_c14 is on a distinguished road
Volvo's aren't real safe. My wife did this to a 16 year old girl. Ripped the car clean in half with a hyundai. LOL
Attached Thumbnails What's worse than a Bike lane-splitting?-303320-r1-18-8_019.jpg  

Quick Reply: What's worse than a Bike lane-splitting?