Racing Topics related to MotoGP, AMA, WSB, TT, Etc.

Nicky Hayden going to Ducati....

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 03:02 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

PJay is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by HRCA#1
It's not to often I run into somebody that has a better or broader view of racing than me (at least in my opinion) but dude..you the man and I agree with you overall except there are some names there that I'm not at all familiar with (like all of the Germans). Never the less I feel like I've bonded with someone half a world away that knows great racers win regardless of what the relevant technologies are. Keep the shiny side up!!
Ummm...I wasn't trying to be a show-off, so please no-one take it that way. It's just that my family has been in the motorcycle trade since 1904, and many of our country's leading racers and race bike builders have been family and personal friends. You get to meet lots of others from other countries that way, too. And I was Chairman of the NZ Classic Racing Register for some time, so that lead to even more personal friendships with great folk from all over the world. And going racing overseas helps, even at my lowgrade level (as long as you stick with Historics).

The Germans:

Weuntsche: most famous riding the DKW triple supercharged 2-stroke pre-WWII (I have heard one of these things, years ago in Australia - my hearing has yet to recover); Henne: best known as a land speed record-breaker on BMWs, but a seriously fast road racer; "Shorsch" Meier: a BMW rider who not only won TTs, but also was a gold medallist in ISDTs, and for all the later part of his career competed on BMWs.

Italian: Nuvolari was the first majorly successful motorbike road racer who also dominated in Grand Prix cars for some time (predecessor to John Surtees). Nuvolari, called "the Flying Mantuan" because he was from Mantua surprise surprise, also was a speed record guy on some pretty amazing stuff, 2,3, and 4-wheeled.

JimTT: yes, it's an interesting thing. A lot of racers who were known as utter bastards in their full-on professional days turn out to be good guys after they retire and no longer have the absolute need to win all the time. I will not name names, but, yes, some are now friends or at least acquaintances of mine.

I have had a privileged life and have every intention of continuing it so. It is a wonderful thing when your childhood - and later - heroes become your friends.

Last edited by PJay; 08-26-2008 at 09:29 PM.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:21 PM
AZ RIDER
Superstock

lynchie is on a distinguished road
honda cant keep anyone happy ... Hayden better sign on the dotted line..i too think hes a good match for the duc, unplugged...but, if not, hes going to be on the downside for sure..He should do well, but we all know hes lost something for Honda and it shows..
Old 08-26-2008, 03:58 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

Originally Posted by lynchie
honda cant keep anyone happy ... Hayden better sign on the dotted line..i too think hes a good match for the duc, unplugged...but, if not, hes going to be on the downside for sure..He should do well, but we all know hes lost something for Honda and it shows..
Yeah, Honda seems to be very much "you eat what you kill". In contrast, it seems to me that some of the other Japanese factories remain much more friendly ever after with their former champion riders.

Of course, in each case it all may depend on the precise deal the rider struck with the factory.

As for the machines, I should think that Hayden is much more capable of grabbing a Ducati by the throat and going for it than are any of the present European riders (most of whom have come up through the sealed surface racing ranks without the varied Hayden and Stoner backgrounds). I said "any": that's not quite right: Rossi would be able to do it, I have no doubt. Imagine how much Ducati must have offered him over the years...

But I think Hayden has a lot of confidence to recover before he will do really well. To do really well, he needs to win races consistently - I doubt that he will have the opportunity to repeat achieving a championship by having a big run of minor placings.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:25 PM
Squid

DuCaTi_HuNtEr is on a distinguished road
Well back to Hayden. I agree that he is good, not great. But with this switch to Duc. I think that he will really need to prgress in order to remain in the top of the field, with Stoner as a teamate I think that this will happen. However there are no more excuses for the kentucky kid, Duc. puts loads of effort into their racing campaign's, now we will see if Nicky can rise up and grow into his new machine... I bet that he's nervous as hell.
- Go Nicky
Old 08-26-2008, 09:52 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
PJay, what about your fellow Kiwi, Burt Munro?

He didn't turn many corners, but I'd say he was A class. Who else could have ridden his machine like he did? And it was a V-twin.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:58 PM
geezer
SuperSport
SuperSport

oahu hawk is on a distinguished road
for Nicky's take on his recent trials & tribulations, see Kevin Cameron's article on page 82 of the latest issue of Cycle World...
Old 08-27-2008, 07:49 AM
SuperBike

HRCA#1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by PJay
Yeah, Honda seems to be very much "you eat what you kill". In contrast, it seems to me that some of the other Japanese factories remain much more friendly ever after with their former champion riders.

Of course, in each case it all may depend on the precise deal the rider struck with the factory.

As for the machines, I should think that Hayden is much more capable of grabbing a Ducati by the throat and going for it than are any of the present European riders (most of whom have come up through the sealed surface racing ranks without the varied Hayden and Stoner backgrounds). I said "any": that's not quite right: Rossi would be able to do it, I have no doubt. Imagine how much Ducati must have offered him over the years...

But I think Hayden has a lot of confidence to recover before he will do really well. To do really well, he needs to win races consistently - I doubt that he will have the opportunity to repeat achieving a championship by having a big run of minor placings.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:12 AM
SuperBike

First of all let me apologize for quoting entire comments, one of these days I'll figure out how to quote fragments insted of the whole damn thing (I know alot more about motorcycles than I do about blogging).

This is really about the first paragraph "Honda eats it's young". I think your right and Nicky's problem is he's never really been their "guy" more like a "redheaded bastard stepchild" and I sense the Kid is too nice a guy to fight back. And it's hard to fight back when the best you can hope for is 3rd because the bike was built for a midget and the tires your stuck with don't seem to be working anywhere for the second year in a row.

If in fact Nicky goes to Ducati (not a done deal yet) I believe his treatment will be much more personal and supportive and of course he will be on "Stones". He won't be the man at Ducati, Stoner is, but the very nature of the Italian Team may do the trick for him. If he can pull of 2 or 3 wins next season I'll be the first to put him back on my "A" list.

The Kentucky Kid has indeed struggled but Honda should shoulder alot of that blame.
Old 08-27-2008, 04:49 PM
I could ride in
SuperBike

LineArrayNut is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by oahu hawk
for Nicky's take on his recent trials & tribulations, see Kevin Cameron's article on page 82 of the latest issue of Cycle World...
mag only or is there an online link?
Old 08-27-2008, 07:06 PM
geezer
SuperSport
SuperSport

oahu hawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by LineArrayNut
mag only or is there an online link?
no link that I know of...
Old 08-28-2008, 09:52 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
PJay, what about your fellow Kiwi, Burt Munro?

He didn't turn many corners, but I'd say he was A class. Who else could have ridden his machine like he did? And it was a V-twin.
This post is really going to seem like boasting.

I rode against the old guy in a beach race at Oreti Beach, Southland, NZ, once. He was hell fast down the straights, but the corners on the beach sand were a worry for Burt by that time. He was riding his Velocette, but had one of the Indians on a trailer. He got his car and trailer stuck in the loose sand on the way out, and I towed them out.

The Southland MC Club used to run a beach meeting each year, the highlight of which was a 100 mile race, one mile there and one mile back x 50. By the time halfway arrived, the corners got cut up and corrugated pretty badly. The year I rode my RD350 production racer in the 100 miler, I fell off twice and was still 5th. The bike never recovered from the salt in the beach sand.

Burt was A class in a very limited class - that's why his record stood for so long. It's a bit like the Brittens - they dominated Formula Defeat. (NB in discussion, John B sort of agreed with me, but would never express it that way himself...another top bloke, with a heart of gold and an imagination even rarer. He welded up a Norton oil tank overnight once for me, to enable me to race when I was hundreds of miles away from home and would otherwise not have been able to do any more than just the practice before the day's racing. A classic racing event on gravel closed roads, that one: wooooo hooooo.)

Last edited by PJay; 08-28-2008 at 09:58 PM.
Old 09-15-2008, 03:22 PM
Superstock

pigwings
Thumbs up It's Official

Marlboro Ducati Confirms Nicky Hayden Will Join Its Team In 2009

Sep 15, 2008, ©Copyright 2008, Roadracing World Publishing, Inc.
Honda will allow Hayden to start testing before end of 2008.

From a press release issued by Marlboro Ducati:

Ducati Corse hereby announces that Nicky Hayden will join its factory MotoGP team for 2009. The 27-year-old from Owensboro, Kentucky, will line up alongside Casey Stoner and will make his debut on the Desmosedici GP9 on the 27th October in a test immediately following the Valencia Grand Prix.

Hayden arrives at Ducati after six years in MotoGP with Honda, the highlight coming in 2006 when he was crowned World Champion. His aggressive riding style and amenable character have made him an extremely popular rider - both on the track and off it.

"We are really happy to have Nicky join us," declared Claudio Domenicali, Ducati Corse CEO and Ducati Motor Holding Product Director. "We are certain that his never-say-die attitude, riding style and character will be great additions to our team in 2009. I would like to thank HRC for allowing Nicky to start testing our bike immediately after the Valencia Grand Prix. I would also like to thank Marco Melandri for his professionalism during a difficult year, which was below all our expectations. Unfortunately his feeling with the Desmosedici was never good enough to allow him to ride as well as he can. We wish him all the best for the future."
Old 09-15-2008, 09:36 PM
MotoGP

Good for Nicky, I wish him well. He rode a great race at Indy, and spanked the chimp.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:30 PM
Squid

Prilliant03 is on a distinguished road
I'd like to throw another name into the hat. For sheer natural speed and talent in the modern era it's hard to look beyond Steve Hislop. I'm not aware of anybody else who could lap Donington Park on a Ducati 998 superbike, faster than Rossi could manage the same year on the Honda RC211V.

Sadly Hislop was not so good at riding around a less than perfect set up. For that reason he's not at the very top. But on his day he was the best ever.
Old 09-16-2008, 02:42 PM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Nicky is in the class of one trick ponies...
I don't know about that... time will tell.

I will say that all the electronic gadgetry doesn't play to his strengths as a rider. I wouldn't count him out yet though.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:22 AM
SuperBike

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by L8RGYZ
I don't know about that... time will tell.

I will say that all the electronic gadgetry doesn't play to his strengths as a rider. I wouldn't count him out yet though.
I absolutely agree with that statement and truly hope Nicky adapts well to the Ducati but so far only Stoner (and Bayliss) have. Mostly I'm happy that he's gone from HRC and no longer the Redheaded Bastard Stepchild that HRC just didn't support at the level they supported others including the Midget. Not to mention the absolute failure of Michelin to provide even adequate rubber at nearly half the races.

As I said earlier if Nicky wins 2 or 3 races next season I'll revisit his A vs B status. And thanks for the tip on quoting threads.
Old 10-05-2008, 03:08 PM
I could ride in
SuperBike

LineArrayNut is on a distinguished road
Can't say that I'm pissed Pedrosa threw it down on the opening lap...;-)
Old 10-05-2008, 04:33 PM
MotoGP

Yeah, that was great. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.
Old 10-05-2008, 05:26 PM
Superstock
Superstock

davidka is on a distinguished road
The money in the sport now draw out more talent than in the past and these guys are at a different talent level that existed "back in the day". It doesn't take away anything from the guys in the past, they were legendary in their time.

Oh, Doohan HAS to be in the same class of the very best. They guy rode through what should've been a career ending disability on the most difficult to ride road racers to have ever been devised to win another world championship.

Rossi has only FAILED to win the world champoinship in whatever class of motorcycle he was racing four times in his pro career of 12 years (so far). He's about to wrap up another one too. He, like Michael Schumacher makes a B team/equipment into A stuff. That Yamaha was junk before he got on it. Suzuki or Kawasaki should hire him...

Ali would've smoked Marciano in his prime, just like he smoked everyone else.
Old 10-19-2008, 08:35 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

Originally Posted by davidka
The money in the sport now draw out more talent than in the past and these guys are at a different talent level that existed "back in the day". It doesn't take away anything from the guys in the past, they were legendary in their time.
OK, I've got drawn in to the discussion again, because there's a huge logical inconsistency here.

Money may draw talent out, true. But it doesn't actually find the talent to start with.

Worldwide, there is probably now about the same proportion of motorcycle riders to total number of vehicle users as there was in the 1970s, that is to say less than in much of the 20th century.

So there are countless people who may have the talent but will never have it drawn out, by money or any other way, because they never get riding. And thus a smaller proportion who get to hone and prove their talent in competition.

And as for "different talent level", well, go compare the lap times of a race circuit done by the top old guys still racing today on Historic bikes (eg Ginger Molloy, #2 in 1970 World 500 R/R championship) with the outright lap records. Then compare relative power, brakes, and top speeds.

And then compare the lap times done by modern riders on the same Historic machines.

"Different talent level" my ****.
Old 10-19-2008, 11:39 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
OK, I'm sucked in again myself. As I've said, I'm no expert on racing or racing history, but I know how to look stuff up.

Prior to 1978, before Americans entered the fray, virtually every 500 cc championship was won by an Italian or a Brit.

Americans won 13 of the next 16 championships. How can you explain this?

Seems to me that one of two things must be true, which would a reasonable man consider more likely?

Either Americans entering the 500 cc class substantially expanded the talent pool and increased the level of competition (a level of competition previous champions never contended with).

OR:

Something inexplicably strange, mysterious and devastating happened to the rest of the world's talent pool during the winter of '77-'78.

Could Agostini or Hailwood be MotoGP champs today? It is entirely possible, but one thing is absolutely clear. They would have to overcome stiffer competition than they encountered back in the day to get there.
Attached Thumbnails Nicky Hayden going to Ducati....-notagain.jpg  

Last edited by RK1; 10-20-2008 at 01:24 AM.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:41 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

Originally Posted by RK1
OK, I'm sucked in again myself. As I've said, I'm no expert on racing or racing history, but I know how to look stuff up.

Prior to 1978, before Americans entered the fray, virtually every 500 cc championship was won by an Italian or a Brit.

Americans won 13 of the next 16 championships. How can you explain this?

Seems to me that one of two things must be true, which would a reasonable man consider more likely?

Either Americans entering the 500 cc class substantially expanded the talent pool and increased the level of competition (a level of competition previous champions never contended with).

OR:

Something inexplicably strange, mysterious and devastating happened to the rest of the world's talent pool during the winter of '77-'78.

Could Agostini or Hailwood be MotoGP champs today? It is entirely possible, but one thing is absolutely clear. They would have to overcome stiffer competition than they encountered back in the day to get there.
I absolutely agree with almost all of what you say. In fact, it was often said at the time that Ago was champion as often as he was through lack of rider and machine opposition. But he could - and still can - ride like a champion.

The Transatlantic Match Races of the early 70s, that stuttered on into the 80s, should have given the Brits a wake-up about American roadracers' abilities. At different times, in fact, each team in those was bolstered by other foreigners in attempts to widen the talent pool in them, too. The US riders of the late 70s brought into the mainstream the dirt riding techniques that the Southern Hemisphere riders had used with success, but were somewhat frowned on by the European roadrace establishment (refer the discussion about Nicky earlier in this thread - the discussion, in general terms, is decades old now). Talent and past riding experience are two different things. Tire technology for the late 70s race bikes was wayyyy behind machine abilities - I know, I raced a TZ750 then - and you just could not manage to lap really fast unless you did expect a bit of unruliness. The Brits and Europeans were much unused to that.

So the answer about the sudden dominance of the US riders is really easy - their opposition became complacent about technique, just as the British motorcycle industry had become complacent about its machines a little earlier.

However, on the point of money bringing out the talent, it was not money that took KR and Pat Hennen and those guys at that time to go and race at World Championship level, because money was better in several levels and areas of the sport in the USA. It was their successes and their PR abilities that then brought the money in for riders in World Championship racing (the same happened with US riders getting in to World level MX, I think, too) - at last.

I would want to look at a much longer history - such as the years all the way through until now from 1978 - to start with, before discerning patterns about where the greater racing talents come from. 1978 was not quite half way through the history of the formal World Championship R/R system we have now.

It does stand to reason that a greater population pool will give a greater talent pool. So what about comparing modern-day winners per head of population of their respective countries?

I suspect you would get ..... Aussie Aussie Aussie oi oi oi (yeah, they're the neighbours, but I'm proud of 'em).

Last edited by PJay; 10-21-2008 at 03:30 PM.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:35 AM
Back Marker

HisHawkiness is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by DuCaTi_HuNtEr
I cant wait to see his years of experience onboard twins shine
Actually the Ducati MotoGP bike is an 800cc V4 if Im not mistaken.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:30 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

You're not mistaken.
Old 11-16-2008, 02:42 PM
SuperBike

I'm Back

Sorry guys I've been away from the forum for awhile. So let's see oh yeah

Nicky did go to Ducati..good for him and Ducati I wish them success.

AMA/DMG and the OEM's are making nice and we will have racing as we knew it in 2009..good news if the economy will allow us to buy tickets.

There are still a few that want to push the depth of talent argument. I would point out something that I believe is attributed to Mario Andretti when he was asked about depth of field issues in CART. His response was something like if there were 10,000 more people driving these things you might not even know my name!

It's just as PJ pointed out there are and has always been only a small number of motorcycle racers compared to the total population of people who could do it.

I look forward to getting caught up with the Forum..talk to you soon.
Old 11-18-2008, 03:03 PM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
Josh Hayes just joined the Factory Yamaha team in AMA Superbike.

He looks forward to the opportunity to have a go at Mat Mladin, on a highly competitive full-factory ride (his first).

Looking forward to that.

Go Nicky!!
Old 11-18-2008, 03:24 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
Sorry guys I've been away from the forum for awhile. So let's see oh yeah

Nicky did go to Ducati..good for him and Ducati I wish them success.

AMA/DMG and the OEM's are making nice and we will have racing as we knew it in 2009..good news if the economy will allow us to buy tickets.

There are still a few that want to push the depth of talent argument. I would point out something that I believe is attributed to Mario Andretti when he was asked about depth of field issues in CART. His response was something like if there were 10,000 more people driving these things you might not even know my name!

It's just as PJ pointed out there are and has always been only a small number of motorcycle racers compared to the total population of people who could do it.

I look forward to getting caught up with the Forum..talk to you soon.
Your Andretti quote argues against your stated position on "talent pool". I believe, and I'd bet Mario did and does believe, no matter how many people raced CART, we'd still know who Mario Andretti is, but his point is well taken.

The larger the talent pool, the harder it is to win. Harder to win MotoGP in 2008 than in 1968. That in fact is the point Andretti was making with that quote.
Old 11-19-2008, 02:34 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

Originally Posted by RK1
The larger the talent pool, the harder it is to win. Harder to win MotoGP in 2008 than in 1968. That in fact is the point Andretti was making with that quote.
Larger ain't deeper (in this context, anyway - we're talking bike **** here, not the other sort...).

If you stick with the equation that large talent pool = harder to win, and keep it to the USA, how come friends of mine from here in a little country have won AMA Superbike races (and in at least one case, an AMA series)? I guess an explanation could well be that the foreigners are enlarging the talent pool. Another could be that the local pool is very wide, but shallow; depends on your perspective, huh?

I have no disagreement at all about 1968 being a bad time for factory race riders - Japanese factories dramatically reducing their expenditure for all World level roadrace competition, British factories moribund, MV the only European factory putting in any real effort at 500 level.

But....because riders below factory level were encouraged, there were more riders competing at the top level then than now over the course of a championship year. And some of them placed. And a lot of them were very, very good riders.

Just compare the pathetically small fields in Moto GP 2008. What a bloody yawn: Pedrosa starts well; Pedrosa falls off; Rossi and Stoner go for it; the 10 also-rans have a small race; finis.

Conditions were different back in '68, too. Track surfaces were nowhere near as good as the billiard table ones Moto GP ride on; tires were nowhere near as good as the Chinese ones you can get for your stepthru now; supensions were hardly adjustable, far less were they tuneable; tracks were routinely just roads for the rest of the year, with stone walls right next to the racers; and so on and so on and so on. There is a really good case for arguing that many of today's racers would not even consider trying to race in the conditions the 500GP competitors did in 1968.

Last edited by PJay; 11-19-2008 at 07:29 PM.