Motorcycle News Motorcycle Headlines from around the World.

American made(assembled) V Twin sportbike

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 02:07 PM
Duc Hawk
SuperSport

Moto Man is on a distinguished road
American made(assembled) V Twin sportbike

2010 Fischer MRX 650

Its basically a dual 39mm carbureted SV650 engine clone/source? (Hyosung) in a frame from the company that made Harley VR1000 racebike frames. It comes with an Ohlins shock, 43mm USD forks, a Brembo master cylinder, SS brake lines, ram air SS exhaust, and lots o billit ... all for $8K!

80HP @ crank @ 9400RPM
52 ft-lbs of Torque @ 7500RPM

http://www.fischer1.com/Fischer_motorcycles.htm

Motorweek video...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEKrlVMqNnY

Last edited by Moto Man; 07-13-2010 at 02:56 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:37 PM
Superstock

pwshadow is on a distinguished road
It might be lacking in the engine dept. but it is a sweet looking bike.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:51 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Actually, with 80 bhp it's about 10 bhp more than the SV650... And that's not really "underpowered" either... So 80 is plenty... Not for track, but on the road, it's more than enough if it's well sorted...

And for that price it's a damned good deal if the quality is there... And with the general quality of the hyosungs that I have seen that shouldn't be a problem... Their own bikes are a bit lackluster, not all there in chassie feel, but well sorted in the engine and decent quality...
Old 07-13-2010, 03:11 PM
Superstock

Underpowered is a relative term when comparing motorcycles. I would say that since this bike looks like a supersport and most likely be compared to one, 80 bhp is about 20 to 30 bhp shy of where it should be. Yes, if you compare it an SV it has plenty of power, but it does have full fairings and an aggressive riding position (from what it looks like) which is unlike the SV. And as far as Hyosung quality, I just watched a Hyosung 250 review that said the bike came from the factory with rust on the tank. Maybe it was a fluke, Maybe this bike is really nice. I dont know for sure.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:01 PM
MotoGP

Given your recent confession of "spec sheet racing", your forgiven for your misunderstanding... (Yes, I'm kidding... Yes, I'm pulling your chain...)

What you described is the very reason the US market never, ever will get all the cool bikes we in Europe get... Because you 'mericans look at the hp figure and then you stop reading...

Yeah, it has a full fairing and an agressive riding position... And that makes better use of those 80 ponies, than with no fairing to shape the air, and an upright position to catch it... But nope... It's not an RR or SS bike... And the only market in the world that will compare it to that is the US market... Here in Europe it would be very welcome as a smaller size bike, something that sells really well here (does 125-250cc ring a bell?)...

Actually I'm fairly confident a good rider will outpace the hawk on that one fairly easy if the chassie components measure up...

Yeah, agreed the Hyosung bikes have absolutely horrible rust protection, crappy chrome with no work done underneath, and a bunch of other problems... But I was mainly talking about the quality of the engine, and mechanical components... The engines are usully fairly good, and the mechanical parts/chassie parts are also fairly good, but decidedly "budget" oriented...

I have no idea where this rates, but with the engine being the only Hyosung part, and the chassie having quite a bit uprated parts compared to the Hyosung offerings, I kind of expect the quality to be much better, both in finish and performance...
Old 07-13-2010, 04:52 PM
Superstock

t-dogg is on a distinguished road
Now thats a bike I could see myself buying if I could ever find one for sale..
Old 07-13-2010, 07:33 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
I am with tweety here. Our minimum is 600rrrrrrr. I love the sv650, and think it is more than adequate. I wish that we got the cbr125 and 250 here, along with other assortments, and I wish our youth didn't NEED a 600 to "learn" how to ride.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:32 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
I want to own many bikes. A great example is the fact that I get to ride many bikes (work) and my favorites are not the gsxr's and such, but the xt225 i just finished, the 305 scramblers, the 350 hondas, the gs450 (stock handlebars, not the aftermarket straight bars), my buddy's sv, bad rad 600 (radian).

I disliked the vstrom 1000 (too big in comparison to the 650 version), the gsxr 750 (didn't really get the point), the vtx (lame power delivery-lots of noise that didn't belong and not honda smooth), the gross virago, etc.

I bought the vtr for different reasons then it was powerful. I do wish I had gone a different route (as a vfr would have been a better choice for what I do). I tour with my bike. Most of my rides are 100miles or more, and I don't need any more power, just more efficiency.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:39 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by RK1
A bit harsh, Tweety. The SV650 isn't RR or SS either and Suzuki has sold boatloads here.

This bike has essentially the same engine but Ohlins shock, Brembo brakes, superior fully adjustable front end, is beautiful looking and has an MSRP within $500 of the SV650S.

Challenge will be the economy (bike sales off 45% or more) and a functioning dealer network. The bike itself looks like a winner. Even in unsophisticated, power hungry America!

PS 250cc? Depends. Kawi has sold a great number of the latest generation Ninja 250.

Americans don't ride 125's on the street 'cause they don't want to get run over. They're also illegal for limited access highways.
Well, it might be harsh... But it's unfortunately true... Just take a look at the statistics for Sweden... 90% of new bike owners start out with something in the 125-600cc range, with only a small percentage going for 600cc... 60% of the total market is below 600cc... Now take into consideration that we like you guys have a large lump of oddly dressed people that lug around their large displacement, low powered cruisers, and that figure becomes even more amazing...

The reson for the US market being completely different is mainly three things, or well four if you count the "bigger is better" philosophy that seems to be the common norm... (Not bashing you or anyone else, but it IS fairly common...) One being the price of fuel, and two being the economy, three taxes/legislation...

All over the world, in just about any country except the US, the laws make it almost impossible for a beginner to go get himself a 1000cc bike as his first bike... All over the world the taxes, fees, and whatever rises exponentially when the engine of the bike increases in size... Not in the US... All over the world fuel prices makes it an active choice to own a big bike... You either buy a small bike to use for commuting with some optionel weekend fun, or you have the money to pay for a "fun bike"... You guys are still in shock over your "high" fuelprices a while back... Those fuel prices reached a level that us Europeans would consider nirvana... We'd fill any can we could find, waiting for the price to come up to normal again...
Old 07-14-2010, 05:54 AM
MotoGP

I'm not saying you can or should do anything about it... It's just a fact... And that's a factor making the market completely different in terms of how people percieve a bike and what it competes against... Yeah, agreed... It should be attractive as an slight upgrade to the SV650... And I do hope it becomes succesful in the US as it makes it more likely for it being sold outside the US...
Old 07-14-2010, 06:17 AM
SuperSport

Crashrat is on a distinguished road
I think many people in Europe overlook the huge mass that is North America. The cruiser appeals to people here because it’s an ok mount for getting through the vast nowhere that is most of this country. Smaller, city bikes don’t make it here because we don’t live in our cities. If you commute 45 minutes into work, you don’t want to be on a buzzy 125 through stop-and-go traffic.

So what they see as a lack of sophistication or appreciation is really just a reflection of daily life. Tweety is right that a lot of it comes down to cheap oil and if we had your prices, suburbs would collapse, people would return to the inner ring of urban areas (where we’ve built huge sprawl) and, sure, you would see more scooters and smaller bikes.

In a lot of ways, those smaller city bikes – beginner bikes overseas – appeal to older, more mature riders here. The people who would buy a Japanese VTR250 here are probably (paradoxically) the same folks who might own a VFR or BMW. It would be an odd, fun bike used as a backup.

Beginners are **** out of luck here, but that’s changing. The problem isn’t what’s coming out now – SVs, Ninja 650, etc… -- but the used market. There wasn’t anything made in the 1990s up to the early 2000s that a newer rider should be on… No one wants to start on a Savage, Ninja 250 or Rebel, and I can’t blame them. Those bikes suck, even compared to the CB350s, CB550s, KZs, etc... that we had in the 80s and early 90s.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:16 AM
Superstock

You are right the SV is a great bike,but it does not try to pretend it is a supersport. That is why it is so successful. It is marketed to a crowd that does not neccessarily want a race bike for the street. The Fischer is being marketed to the SS crowd. And you are right, it is stupid that Americans are interested in motorcycles that are fast. I mean seriously who wants a fast sport bike? I wanted a 250 for my first bike because I like being bored with my purchases a couple months after I buy them.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:19 AM
Superstock

And to say that beginners cant handle a 600 is subjective. A 600 I4 is not like a two stroke dirt bike that the power comes out of nowhere. It is very easy to ride a 600 and not go fast.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:19 AM
SuperSport

LOL!
Old 07-14-2010, 08:31 AM
SuperSport

I’d say an I4 sportbike 600 is just like riding a two-stroke. There are exceptions to this – the F2/F3, YZF600R, Speed Four / maybe the Daytona 650 – but most modern 600s have the same sort of dyno signature as a RZ350, only faster everywhere.

Last time I checked, mortality rates (in the US) were highest for middle-age beginners on metric cruisers, though, so maybe you’re right. That said, I started my wife on my old GB and I wouldn’t suggest a sportbike (or heavy cruiser) to anyone new to the game.

Last edited by Crashrat; 07-14-2010 at 08:36 AM.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:39 AM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
I would love to see some of the 400s make their way here from Japan.

I would love to see a tiered license for all motor vehicles here in the USA, particularly on motorcycles.

The first motorcycle I rode on the street was a 83 XL-600R. Big Thumper. Not fast, and that was good. Got accustomed to street riding on an enduro, then made the switch to the SH.

My son, will have plenty of ride time by the time he's 16. If I have anything to say about it, and I will, he will be on a 600 or smaller to start. He'll ride with me, and I'll determine if/when he is ready for anything bigger.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:39 AM
Superstock

600cc I4s do not have an instant powerband like a 2stroke. Everyone will tell you that you have to rev them to the moon to get power out of them. If your reving it up that high it is because you are looking for the power band. It doesn't hit you unexpectedly. The mortality rate is high because of a lack of responsibility on the rider's part, not their skill level. If you keep a 600 under 9k rpm it is very docile and usable for any level of rider experience. It is the riders fault for taking it above that. Now the hawk is a different story. You get power almost instantly and I would not recomend one to a beginner.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:47 AM
SuperSport

I'm not going to argue the point. I've ridden and owned both two strokes and I4s.

I wish they made a DP bike that fit short people, Eric. A friend had an XL500 back in the day and it was a lot of fun. My brother -- who is a beefy little guy -- used to have to carry around a block of wood to mount his XT. I think the only option is the F650 in low mode, but that bike sort of misses the point as a DP.

Last edited by Crashrat; 07-14-2010 at 08:52 AM.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:51 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by pwshadow
You are right the SV is a great bike,but it does not try to pretend it is a supersport. That is why it is so successful. It is marketed to a crowd that does not neccessarily want a race bike for the street. The Fischer is being marketed to the SS crowd. And you are right, it is stupid that Americans are interested in motorcycles that are fast. I mean seriously who wants a fast sport bike? I wanted a 250 for my first bike because I like being bored with my purchases a couple months after I buy them.
Well, you are using the word stupid, not me... And I guess I'm dumber than the norm cuz I keep making all the vehicles I own go faster... But there is something to be said for learning on a slower bike, before you go to a faster/bigger one...

And while I agree, if you rev a IL4 to the moon looking for the powerband, you are asking for trouble... The reason the current crop of 600's aren't really beginner friendly is the way they make unreasonable amounts of power for their realitively small size... That's why you rev them...

They are completely gutless in the bottom, because they are capable of making the same amount of power up top that a 1000cc bike would do just a few years back... And that engine characteristic invites a beginner to go looking for the power since there is almost none at all down low, which makes it pretty booring to dawdle around on the bike...

Usually you wouldn't do that if there was usable amounts of power down low, without being to powerful... Like the SV650 actually is...

Yeah, the Fisher is marketed at the SS crowd... But in Europe that doesn't mean the bike needs to have 100+ hp... There still are people willing to buy a SS bike in smaller size, for their comfort level... In the US that market seems like a big hole instead...

Nope, the VTR isn't a good beginners bike... But neither is a SS 600...
Old 07-14-2010, 09:02 AM
Superstock

I guess I am biased because the first street bike I rode was a CBR600rr and I never felt out of control. You do have a point. That power up top is very tempting to chase after. And a beginner cannot safely handle 100+ bhp. All I'm saying is that a beginner can use a 600 safely. But you are right, with all that power up top it is difficult to be responsible. The only thing that keeps me from completely agreeing with you is the fact that if I had bought a 250 for my first bike I would have been extremely dissapointed when I hit that bikes limits only a few months after purchasing it. And to add more credit to your point Tweety, maybe the only reason I would get tired of the bike so quickly is because all of my friends have 600s.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:03 AM
Superstock

I think the bike someone should begin riding on completely depends on the rider.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:11 AM
Duc Hawk
SuperSport

Originally Posted by Crashrat
I'm not going to argue the point. I've ridden and owned both two strokes and I4s.

I wish they made a DP bike that fit short people, Eric. A friend had an XL500 back in the day and it was a lot of fun. My brother -- who is a beefy little guy -- used to have to carry around a block of wood to mount his XT. I think the only option is the F650 in low mode, but that bike sort of misses the point as a DP.

While the Fischer is not a DP it does have an option to be lowered from the factory as well as many other options you can get configured and delivered.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:19 AM
Duc Hawk
SuperSport

WOW! I did not expect this bike to get this kind of discussion going. First of all I have to say that I love that this bike was conceived by an American racer!

I think many of the guys on this forum respect and enjoy low end torque and there is huge market for this type of bike where the roads are super twisty. In flatland America, as with flatland Europe (read: Netherlander Harley freaks), it might not be as desired as a cruiser or a top speed liter bike. But to me this is exactly the kind of bike I wish Honda would have made years ago; A light bad *** chassis with low end torque from a middle weight bike. In fact this might be the next bike I buy. It would be perfect for the type of riding I mostly do; SUPER tight canyons in Malibu where I seldom get above 3rd gear on the Superhawk.

On the 1st bike tangent. I really don't see this as a 1st bike for most people but it would be better option than a screaming 600+ IL4. I think those of us who started small on the street had someone older and knowledgeable with bikes who cared about us enough to help direct us to the bikes better suited to a beginner. We also probably started young and maybe even had dirt skills to begin with. I think many of the people who jump right on high speed tuned 600+ IL4 bikes don't get that help or ignore it.

Last edited by Moto Man; 07-14-2010 at 09:53 AM.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:35 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by pwshadow
I guess I am biased because the first street bike I rode was a CBR600rr and I never felt out of control. You do have a point. That power up top is very tempting to chase after. And a beginner cannot safely handle 100+ bhp. All I'm saying is that a beginner can use a 600 safely. But you are right, with all that power up top it is difficult to be responsible. The only thing that keeps me from completely agreeing with you is the fact that if I had bought a 250 for my first bike I would have been extremely dissapointed when I hit that bikes limits only a few months after purchasing it. And to add more credit to your point Tweety, maybe the only reason I would get tired of the bike so quickly is because all of my friends have 600s.

Well, you did start on a bigger bike, but the reason you didn't end up in a ditch or a wheelchair is because you made the responsible thing and learned first, before grabbing a handfull of throttle... Now considering the general level of responsibility that the mass of drivers on the road show (or not, as it may be...) I'd say you are one of few... The average begginer does not contemplate his or her mortality before going full throttle... And if they do, it doesn't seem to stop them...

Yeah, it's not much fun being the smallest of the bunch... But imagine if you where in a mixed group with all from 250's to 1000+ cc bikes all the time... Then it becomes a whole other thing... Around here when we meet up for a ride the only time the average is above 600cc is when it's the VTR club riding together... And even then there usually is someone's girl/wife or son/daughter tagging along on a 250 or 600...

Infact the last ride we had, the one who had to wait up for the rest of us was the 17 year old daughter of one of the guys on a 125... We found a very narrow and twisty road, and while we had to slow down, she mostly railed through the corners wide open... Now, she wasn't riding irresponsably, she's in fact a very good rider... It was just a road made for a smaller bike... But boy, did she like beating up on us...

BTW the same girl keeps embarrasing me on track from time to time, passing me in the corners with the throttle pinned, when I'm trying to get this big thing turned...
Old 07-14-2010, 09:38 AM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
I also think there is a very large gap not being filled right where this motorcycle fits in.

Personally after riding the cafe racer around and having a blast if Honda would produce something around 500cc that put 80 hp at the wheel and weighed 350lbs it would be wickedly fun out on the streets. IMO style it like a cafe, since that is popular now or just getting into the swing of popular (honda needs to think ahead not behind like the fury), it would sell especially if it was on the smaller side ergos wise. Consider this since for my sister there really isn't anything "fun" that fits. If any manufacturer did this I would even consider buying new, but thats just me.

I am tired of the American attitude towards vehicle use. We buy what intrigues us or allures us in a lifestyle we will never practice. Like a race bike that never is raced, a SUV/ 4x4 that never will see dirt, the largest pickup with monster tires so we can tow our boat we use twice a year, a convertible that the owner keeps the top up so the sun won't fade his seats. Its ridiculous and thats what we buy here and it drives away a lot of better suited merchandise.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:45 AM
Superstock

evines is on a distinguished road
Well, my father started me out on a Ninja 250 when I got my car permit (at 15). I never rode dirtbikes, so the Ninja was my first taste of motorcycling and using a clutch for that matter. I was only allowed to ride following him for over a year. That 250 was a super fun bike to ride, and I would recommend it to anyone just starting out. It's hard to get in too much trouble on one because they handle very well, are very light, and poop out at 100mph. But they will cruise at 80+ all day long. You can buy one for cheap and sell it for about what you paid for it. And it started me out well. I have never (knock on wood) crashed on a bike, and I'm 30 now.

Unfortunately, I think there might be a correlation between riders who get "fast" bikes immediately, and those who are generally irresponsible and ride beyond their ability. I actually heard this a few weeks ago: "My friend let me ride his GSXR, and I loved it so I went out and bought a 'busa. We go out and ride on I-495 (the always busy loop around DC) and my bike pulls way harder than his. He can barely hang with me." All I could think was "Oh my God."
Old 07-14-2010, 09:53 AM
Superstock

Like I said it depends on the rider. If you have no dirtbike experience then yes a 250 is more than enough. But if you are like me and have ridden CR250R's then a 250 street bike would have been dissapointing. Tweety you are RIGHT. Most people shouldn't start out on a 600+. Back to the original point of this thread. I'm going to still say this bike is a miss. It is not geared toward beginners. It has double the power of a 250 but 20 to 30 horse power less than the current crop of ss bikes. It is a Supersport that lacks power. It is not a sport tourer or a comfortable sportbike. It has sportbike suspension, riding position, and full fairings. I still think it is a slightly under calculated shot taken at the supersport market.

Last edited by pwshadow; 07-14-2010 at 09:57 AM.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:08 AM
Superstock

evines is on a distinguished road
This bike sounds great to me, but I agree that 20-30 more hp would be ideal. From their website, it sounds like they were initially going to use a 1000cc v-twin, but they had trouble with the supplier (or something like that). The Motorcyclist article said that the plan was to eventually bump up displacement and/or supercharge the engine, and switch from carbs to FI, but I guess the economy got in the way (this bike has been out since 2007 with no changes).
Old 07-14-2010, 10:11 AM
Superstock

If that thing had a 1000 v-twin It would be my next bike
Old 07-14-2010, 10:14 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

supermarto is on a distinguished road
Hell I would buy a damned VTR 250 if they sold them here. Looks like a mini-Monster and even though I'd be purchasing it for my "girl", I can definitely say I'd be on it more than her I am sure...

This bike looks pretty trick, and I would ride one of them as well, no doubt... Just not in the color of yaller...

Quick Reply: American made(assembled) V Twin sportbike