Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Velocity stack participants

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 10:07 AM
Duc Hawk
SuperSport

Moto Man is on a distinguished road
Anyone have dyno charts of the before and after with the 1st run?
Old 09-22-2009, 10:27 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
and so it begins again....
Old 09-22-2009, 10:34 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

FL02SupaHawk996 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mikstr
and so it begins again....
Who said the past isn't a predictor for the future? LOL!
Old 09-22-2009, 10:56 AM
MotoGP

indeed Rick. All I can say is good luck....
Old 09-22-2009, 10:56 AM
Boosted
SuperSport

Syclone is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Moto Man
+1 I'd like to see some just for curiosity sake. And geez Mikstr, are you ever going to let things go?
Old 09-22-2009, 11:00 AM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
i asked for the 3d file but have yet to get it. i do have a friend thats family owns / runs a machine shop. if i can use a favor & get a set done at cost i'll pay for a back to back dyno run. i probably won't pay to have them dial in the jetting but really all we are looking for is an increase in airflow. once the stacks are installed if it leans out the mixture it would make sense that once the jetting is corrected that it would produce more power.

tim
Old 09-22-2009, 11:19 AM
Duc Hawk
SuperSport

Originally Posted by trinc
i'll pay for a back to back dyno run.
No reason for anyone to run out and pay for a dyno run. A few guys have posted that they installed them already and can feel the difference. I know FTMS said he put it on the dyno, and that Tweety has access to a dyno as well. Just wondering if any of you guys that put this run of parts on has any charts to show the difference.

I'm just really curious. I know you should expect the same results from the set they were modeled after and I can look for that info. But I want to know from the guys here what it's done for you. I trust your input more than a an old chart from someone I don't know.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:34 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

No reason for anyone to run out and pay for a dyno run. A few guys have posted that they installed them already and can feel the difference. I know FTMS said he put it on the dyno, and that Tweety has access to a dyno as well. Just wondering if any of you guys that put this run of parts on has any charts to show the difference.

I'm just really curious. I know you should expect the same results from the set they were modeled after and I can look for that info. But I want to know from the guys here what it's done for you. I trust your input more than a an old chart from someone I don't know.
Moto, I don't have any charts but I have run both the original and newly machine parts on my bike back-to-back and the results are identical. If you get your hands on a set you'll be glad you did
Old 09-22-2009, 11:43 AM
SuperBike

a dyno run would...

#1) settle the debate if they work. the reason (imo) more people didn't get
in on the first run was because there wasn't any documented 'proof'.

#2) i'd get an a/f reading. you could gain/loss a couple HP with
a poorly tuned jet kit. i think i have it very close but seeing the numbers would help.

tim
Old 09-22-2009, 12:12 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Syclone
+1 I'd like to see some just for curiosity sake. And geez Mikstr, are you ever going to let things go?
I guess what pissed me off, and still does, is not so much the fact taht some chose not to participate (we live in free countries after all), but that some sceptics/cynics didn`t know when to back off, offering up an endless series of remarks and comments aimed at discrediting the entire project. As per the old adage: if you don`t have anything positive to contribute, shut the f**k up! Many missed out on opportunities to do just that, and it still leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.... That`s it, no more comments from me on this matter.
Old 09-22-2009, 01:29 PM
SuperBike

I guess what pissed me off, and still does, is not so much the fact taht some chose not to participate (we live in free countries after all), but that some skeptics/cynics didn`t know when to back off, offering up an endless series of remarks and comments aimed at discrediting the entire project. As per the old adage: if you don`t have anything positive to contribute, shut the f**k up! Many missed out on opportunities to do just that, and it still leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.... That`s it, no more comments from me on this matter.
iirc... you had a prototype, you could have made a back / back dyno run. then you could have included those charges to the price of the stacks and all those on the fence would have seen the proof & probably joined in ( me included ). i didn't understand your disbelief in the board members at the time, you can find facts about everything on the internet these days that will prove any point you'd like to make...

it seems like you got pissed because we didn't all buy them on your word alone. those that did buy them seem happy, so go ahead and gloat... you were right. there are a lot of products, like the 'Vortex Valve' that claim lots of things... you shouldn't blame people for being a little skeptical these days.

tim
Old 09-22-2009, 04:13 PM
Duc Hawk
SuperSport

Originally Posted by FL02SupaHawk996
I have run both the original and newly machine parts on my bike back-to-back and the results are identical.
The word "original" is throwing me there. You must be talking about comparing the new set and the set they were modeled after. Otherwise that reads like there is no change over stock ones. I think we are all more intrested in the change over stock ones.

Last edited by Moto Man; 09-23-2009 at 08:50 AM.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:20 PM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road
I have seen a dyno chart with before and after results on it, and they do work.

I do not have it to send to you. Maybe I chucked it out.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:29 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by trinc
iirc... you had a prototype, you could have made a back / back dyno run. then you could have included those charges to the price of the stacks and all those on the fence would have seen the proof & probably joined in ( me included ). i didn't understand your disbelief in the board members at the time, you can find facts about everything on the internet these days that will prove any point you'd like to make...

it seems like you got pissed because we didn't all buy them on your word alone. those that did buy them seem happy, so go ahead and gloat... you were right. there are a lot of products, like the 'Vortex Valve' that claim lots of things... you shouldn't blame people for being a little skeptical these days.

tim
Havign purchased my fair share of snake oil over the years I can agree with parts of your statement. However, Shayne had stepped up and mentioned the dyno data he had and still it was not enough. Also, Rick, who owns the original set that was used for the 3D scanning also shared his experience yet it too was written off. This only begs the question: what would have sufficed?
Old 09-22-2009, 07:02 PM
SuperBike

Havign purchased my fair share of snake oil over the years I can agree with parts of your statement. However, Shayne had stepped up and mentioned the dyno data he had and still it was not enough. Also, Rick, who owns the original set that was used for the 3D scanning also shared his experience yet it too was written off. This only begs the question: what would have sufficed?
can you send me the 3D file ? i'll pay for the back / back dyno & post
the results... then you can say ' i told you so ' as long & as loud as you please.

tim
Old 09-22-2009, 07:22 PM
MotoGP

send me a PM Tim and I will gladly send you my e-mail address for the file.... contrary to what you may think I am not a dick....
Old 09-22-2009, 07:38 PM
SuperBike

send me a PM Tim and I will gladly send you my e-mail address for the file.... contrary to what you may think I am not a dick....
PM sent.

btw: i don't think one way or the other, ( but willfully sharing the file is very nice of you ). 'i' would have done it a different way. to the others that did buy the stacks they obviously thought your way was fine.

i did talk to a guy today and he asked what finish i would like ? i said smooth . i'm not sure that was the technical term he was looking for. lol ... what did you do ?

tim
Old 09-22-2009, 08:29 PM
MotoGP

they came with a very nice finish from the machinist but I wet sanded them to a mirror finish before installing them.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:37 PM
SuperSport

zmaniv is on a distinguished road
Hate to disagree but I thought that intake ports benefit from a rougher finish.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:47 PM
MotoGP

only once you get past the point where fuel is added (rough finish aids atomization), and these are upwind of that point (carbs) so the smooth finish enhances airflow
Old 09-22-2009, 08:58 PM
SuperBike

thanks for the files ! a complex radius to say the least. i've never used autocad but looks like 7 listing for the top of the bell... wow.

tim
Old 09-23-2009, 10:06 AM
Superstock

salmanilla2000 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by krongsak
Just pinged Hak. I know a couple of machinists in the Bay area and will ping them for pricing. We'll see what price I can get
I'm in the Bay Area too. Keep me informed.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:17 AM
SuperSport

zmaniv is on a distinguished road
If I could get the files sent to me I can have my machinist quote me some builds.
mzaenger@gmail.com

Thanks Martin
Old 09-23-2009, 10:30 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by zmaniv
If I could get the files sent to me I can have my machinist quote me some builds.
mzaenger@gmail.com

Thanks Martin
sent.

also: i upload the two files click & save

http://www.pacifier.com/~trinc/VTR S...4 INCH DIA.dwg
http://www.pacifier.com/~trinc/VTR STACK.dwg

tim
Old 09-23-2009, 11:10 AM
Only VTR's
Squid

dvwalker is on a distinguished road
I have few questions to ask. I have looked and compared to 2 draws and the only difference i can find are the mounting flanges. 1 goes completely 360deg around the outside and the other just has 2 small mounting brackets. Does it matter which set is made or do you have to make 1 for the front and the other for the rear? If so, which is which? Also, i didnt see a meterial type listed. I am thinking Al 6066? I work with alot of machine companies and am going to have them quoted out.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:11 AM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
Will these fit an '02 RC51?

Old 09-23-2009, 12:01 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by dvwalker
I have few questions to ask. I have looked and compared to 2 draws and the only difference i can find are the mounting flanges. 1 goes completely 360deg around the outside and the other just has 2 small mounting brackets. Does it matter which set is made or do you have to make 1 for the front and the other for the rear? If so, which is which? Also, i didnt see a meterial type listed. I am thinking Al 6066? I work with alot of machine companies and am going to have them quoted out.
The stock velocity stacks have tabs, and the 360 ring hits some plastic parts and needs a bit of filing to fit properly...

But it's considerably cheaper to have made on a CNC mill than having them cut the tabs out for you... That's the only difference...
Old 09-23-2009, 12:06 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RCVTR
Will these fit an '02 RC51?

Sure they will... You just need an adapter to fit them to the larger intake on the RC... Might loose one or two ponies along the way though
Old 09-23-2009, 01:28 PM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

The word "original" is throwing me there. You must be talking about comparing the new set and the set they were modeled after. Otherwise that reads like there is no change over stock ones. I think we are all more intrested in the change over stock ones.
Sorry bro, "original" didn't mean OEM...I was talkin about having run the original billet long velocity stacks I bought way back when back to back with the new ones Mikstr had made and there was no difference they both rock, but you might need a dyno run to be sure...no I didn't
Old 09-23-2009, 04:54 PM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
I'm hoping Trinc or others start this up again. This time I will buy in. As i have discovered with my K&N experience, there is virtually no risk here. What I mean is I bought my K&N, didn't like it and resold on the forum. If it turns out I don't like the velocity stacks, I am sure there will be several willing to buy them from me.

Quick Reply: Velocity stack participants