Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

turbo question

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 04:10 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Dan Cronin
You're not being stupid, Tweety. Stupid would be knowing your never going to do it, but daydreaming about junk like the Coates spherical valve heads, an RC51 motor and a SH with better suspension & breaks. http://www.coatesengine.com/index.html

Thats stupid. And expensive. Could be fun though.

Quick, somebody give me that number for the supercharger!
A SH with better suspension and brakes isn't stupid (I think?) I'm almost done building it... (Or make that never done... )

Originally Posted by gboezio
I do cheap, stupid and fun
We can agree that forced induction is fun tough

A RSV SC project sounds like fun, would be interested in the build story.
I'm going back to practice my welds
Yeah, that we agree completely on... Halfway decided = I'm 100% decided but my significant other is also 100% decided... And as usual we are at opposite ends of the scale... Oh well I have beaten those odds before...
Old 03-20-2009, 04:28 PM
Squid

Kieran is on a distinguished road
I saw an article in a aussie bike magazine a while ago, which had a supercharged firestorm in it. Big polished cover up off the end of the crank, and he's raised the fuel tank up slightly to get the 'charger in.

And underseat exhausts. nice.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:52 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Kieran
I saw an article in a aussie bike magazine a while ago, which had a supercharged firestorm in it. Big polished cover up off the end of the crank, and he's raised the fuel tank up slightly to get the 'charger in.

And underseat exhausts. nice.
Was it that purple and yellow one? I think that is the one that ended up on Ebay a while back.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:44 PM
SuperSport
SuperSport

gboezio is on a distinguished road
This insanity talk got me going somehow and I started to build what I imagined a while back, since I don't have the money to buy the most expensive parts, I may just fuel inject it, but the airbox is too small to be naturally aspirated so it has to be completed ASAP.
Name:  DSCN2360.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  127.4 KB
Old 03-26-2009, 02:46 PM
kneeedragger
Squid

ericb269 is on a distinguished road
does anybody know how to contact the guy who built the turbo charger on youtube???
Old 03-26-2009, 02:54 PM
kneeedragger
Squid

doesanybody know how to contact the guy who made the turbo for the sh???? mc i think
Old 03-26-2009, 02:58 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
you could try sending him a message on his youtube page

http://www.youtube.com/user/mekanikker
Old 03-26-2009, 03:02 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
He's around at our Swedish VTR forum although not too frequent ... I could always try passing on a message...
Old 03-26-2009, 03:04 PM
SuperSport

zmaniv is on a distinguished road
The turbo was a one off as already stated.
If you really want to do it, and absolutely have deep pockets than I know people out in San Diego that can fab up all the piping, turbo installation, even megasquirt.
This does not come cheap though. All of the work would be one off and more than likely not under any type of warranty.

Seriously if you want that much more power you should go look elsewhere.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:05 AM
kneeedragger
Squid

I LIKE THE VTR THATS WHY I WANT TO TURBO IT AND I DONT HAVE 30 GRAND FOR A DUC SO i WAS JUST INTERESTED. THX
Old 03-27-2009, 11:26 AM
SuperSport

zmaniv is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ericb269
I LIKE THE VTR THATS WHY I WANT TO TURBO IT AND I DONT HAVE 30 GRAND FOR A DUC SO i WAS JUST INTERESTED. THX

Well if you don't have 30 grand for a duck then why are you talking about a stupid expensive mod like this anyways
Old 03-27-2009, 01:28 PM
Superstock

t-dogg is on a distinguished road
I have to agree. I put a turbo in my mazda 3 a few years ago when it was new. Lots of custom work and about 8 grand later i had a blown motor. turbos are fun and I know what getting the turbo itch is all about, but I could have saved that money and just got a faster car. In my opinion as cool as a turbo sh sounds it is wwaayy more time and money than it is worth, but if you are die hard on doing it then do it. It will either go smooth or it will be bad and believe me, when one thing goes bad it WILL all go bad..
Old 03-27-2009, 02:11 PM
SuperSport
SuperSport

I'll keep making mine
Budget 2000 $ and countless hours
Old 03-27-2009, 08:04 PM
Squid

Johnny_Rocket is on a distinguished road
Use one throttle body. "4.6L from 92-95 Ford"
Use two injectors per cylinder.
Don't use a box, use tube runners to keep velocity up.
Weld injector bungs in place to fire as close to the valve head as possible.
Mount Turbo in front of engine at same height as exhaust port.
Manifold front cylinder exhaust port to a collector and branch in original primary tube to use as a runner for the rear cylinder. Use T3 flange on collector and be sure to find some bracketing places to hang the turbo. I suggest using the faring mounting tabs and making spider brackets from 304. This will put the turbo high enough to drain oil into the pan without needing a scavinging pump. I helped a friend do a duc w/ a T25 . It was a pain in the *** and sucked in traffic.
Old 03-28-2009, 02:48 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

Originally Posted by Johnny_Rocket
Use one throttle body. "4.6L from 92-95 Ford"
Use two injectors per cylinder.
Don't use a box, use tube runners to keep velocity up.
Weld injector bungs in place to fire as close to the valve head as possible.
Mount Turbo in front of engine at same height as exhaust port.
Manifold front cylinder exhaust port to a collector and branch in original primary tube to use as a runner for the rear cylinder. Use T3 flange on collector and be sure to find some bracketing places to hang the turbo. I suggest using the faring mounting tabs and making spider brackets from 304. This will put the turbo high enough to drain oil into the pan without needing a scavinging pump. I helped a friend do a duc w/ a T25 . It was a pain in the *** and sucked in traffic.
Thanks for the tips,
The problem mounting the turbo in the front of the engine is wheel clearance, I could mount it there static but while the forks are fully compressed, it's getting tight in there. I would prefer front mounted to synchronize the pulses, but I would rather add weight to the back.
Beside I wanted to mount the intercooler under the seat, I just had a damaged core for free.
As throttle bodies, the first setup I tried to build was two runners and a plenum, I have a 240SX throttle body, but the packaging was a bitch, so I planned to use the carbs as throttle bodies, this will keep my runner length stock, but will rise my injectors a bit higher, this will increase my tau value, but setting the fuel enrich right should take care of it. Will have the throttle response of individual throttle bodies since the CV slides will be locked up. Another drawback is that the MAP sensor will hate the pulsing nature of the VTR, I may get very low vacuum reading at idle and low RPM, I will use an Hybrid Alpha-N/speed density algorithm. If it fails I have a 3" Bosch MAF sensor that I could use as a draw trough MAF setup, but they are slow sensors and bikes are rapidly changing conditions, leak sensitive... may not be a good choice.

I planned to use two big injectors since they are cheaper, I could not source Bosch green tops at local junkyards and my dead BMW has tiny injectors, I would need 4 per cylinders. Solutions were turbo 4 bangers like Volvos they have about 30 lb injectors, could do.
The turbo will be very small, I'm looking for a K03 from an Audi TT, an upgrade with a build engine could easily be a K03s or K04, these units flow enough for 250 hp, witch would be an overkill for now, 150 hp and massive amount of torque from 4000 rpm and up sounds better to me than getting rear ended at 7000 rpm, ain't no dyno queen.
So I need injectors for now, can't make the bungs and fuel rail until I get them for mock up.
Sourcing parts is fun, to me walking in a junkyard is like a girl hitting the shopping mall with a Visa Platinum.

Last edited by gboezio; 03-28-2009 at 03:03 AM.