Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

more exhuast exiting left side rather than equally

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 07:42 AM
Back Marker

little squirt is on a distinguished road
more exhuast exiting left side rather than equally

well i had a little cam 2 fuel left over from my jet boat so i mixed it up 50/50 with 93 octane. the cam 2 i have is 110 octane. well my question is that from running this in my jet boat it was needed because of the 13.5:1 compression in it. it really smells good too! well when you run this it will turn the inside of the exhuast baffels to a white ish hue. well after running a tank through the bike, the left muffler is real white looking on the inside and the right muffler is still kinda black sutty looking.....is there a flow problem in the exhaust that makes it flow mainly out of the left side? could there be a problem where the front pipe meets the split and its blocking the right exhuast outlet? should i take my right side muffler off and look in there to see? looks like to me that this could hamper some jetting setups......just a thought, i will try to get a pic up here in a little bit....

yes i know there is no benefit to running this kinda fuel in my stock super hawk, it was just some left overs i thought i would use. thanks
Old 09-22-2008, 07:46 AM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
They're all like that. There is a restriction in the exit of the right header pipe which you can see if you remove the muffler. Some guys go to the trouble of removing this restrictor, but I don't think it makes much difference in performance.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:16 AM
Back Marker

little squirt is on a distinguished road
Ok, thanks, that sums it up nicely.
Old 10-22-2008, 03:02 PM
Squid

vtwinnubie is on a distinguished road
right side restriction

easy easy fix....I just took a hole saw and my cordless found a hole saw that was about an..eight inch smaller as you dont want to remove the WELD just the excess tube...took about 30 seconds and doink its gone...used a dremel and a long shaft beburred the hole, excess and any rough edges...this all took maybe 5 minutes total.....Along with all the other mods as a package I can say I feel this all adds together to make the vtr . have good pop and it runs all the way to the rev limiter in all six gears beautifly now....fast and quick........my other ride is an RI and I put 2000 on it this summer and 4000 on the vtr ....As a stand alone mod I dont think it would have a noticable effect but couldnt hurt either...But if your doing,airbox,velocity stack,race exhaust,rejet,filter and gearing I strongly suggest you do it.....Kinda like putting an expensive exhaust on it and leaving a half cork in one side...isnt the objective to get the exhaust out FASTER and EASIER....I just know what worked for me as a package
Old 10-22-2008, 03:15 PM
SuperBike

drew_c14 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by vtwinnubie
isnt the objective to get the exhaust out FASTER and EASIER....I just know what worked for me as a package
Not entirely, no. A well tuned exhaust has a certain amount of back pressure built into it. Not saying that's the case here, but less restriction is not always better.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:07 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
If it's white hot at the cans it's got to be blazing your valves like a torch. The Superhawk is a low compression thumper. 8.5 is stock? Other members can help here. Hi-comp for a Superhawk is 10.5 (I think). I don't think this kind of fuel will serve your valve train well.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:44 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
The white color is normal for race gas. As noted above, the restriction can be removed. It doesn't hurt anything, and as for backpressure, that little thing isn't going to make a damned bit of difference. Aftermarket cans WILL make a big difference in backpressure, but only enough to where you can take advantage of it by rejetting for more power. It will not burn valves.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:16 AM
I could ride in
SuperBike

LineArrayNut is on a distinguished road
9.4:1 is stock

Originally Posted by nuhawk
If it's white hot at the cans it's got to be blazing your valves like a torch. The Superhawk is a low compression thumper. 8.5 is stock? Other members can help here. Hi-comp for a Superhawk is 10.5 (I think). I don't think this kind of fuel will serve your valve train well.
Sorry, nuhawk, I couldn't stop myself...

By the way, it's in the manual, so...