Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Exhaust/Slip On Advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 07:57 PM
Back Marker

cscrawford is on a distinguished road
Along the lines of what Tim asked...
"can anybody list out the pipes from quiet to loud ?", it may be easier to just ask which are the most quiet aftermarket slip-ons, short of a magazine decibel-test.
Reading posts it looks like maybe the older TBRs are louder than the newer ones...unless they all get louder when they blow out the packing. I'm also interested in aftermarket high pipes. Love the twin's sound, but love not drawing attention even more. I live in Dallas and there are so many squids you'd think you were in a tank at Sea World. The blue bird is relatively stealthy.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:11 AM
Back Marker

XLSR-VTR1 is on a distinguished road
Went to Laguna some years ago and listened to many bikes with slipons, the best sound to my ear was Erion Racing Black pipes, I bought a set and lovem, everyone comments the sound is really good, deep, smooth, tuned. Ive had them for 9 years and never had a problem with packing. Just wish theyd make a high mount kit for them. Jardin's run a close second. Dont care for DnD's, too blappy.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:58 AM
Back Marker

xecutech is on a distinguished road
Well, there is no way to hear every pipe on the market on one specific bike, so it's hard to say for sure. I have now heard a couple of different slipons for the sh and I ended up with the d&d carbon fiber slipons.

Now they are loud, really loud, but I am happy with them. I get tons of compliments on the sound, even from the harley crowd, so I feel good about getting them. Not because of what everyone else says, but the fact that I love the sound. My sh has a mean rumble to it and sounds great at idle.

I would be more interested in what performance gains each slipon would offer, but there are too many variables there, so I doubt we could get that info as well.

My suggestion to anyone looking for slipons? I would tell you to listen to other bikes and buy the one you think sounds the best. Don't base it on what someone on a forum would tell you. Respect their advice, but overall it's your money and bike your messing with.

If I had listened to everyone who said the d&d's were too loud, I wouldn't be enjoying them now.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:01 AM
Back Marker

Maybe somone in Admin can get each company to send a set of high-mounts at a ripping deal, like Mfg. Cost, then after someone runs a scientific test on a dyno, measure noise whether with a machine or just ear-check. Then the group can bid on the exhausts and any profits can go to managing the sight.
Is that realistic?
Old 06-14-2007, 07:08 AM
Squid

USAFrider
I have the erion black pipes on my current SH, I had TB carbon fiber on my last hawk and they were retarded loud. The packing was shot and the bike would vibrate the house next door as well as set of all the car alarms within 100ft. Erion has a better tone and build. I have heard the Staintunes and they sound Beautiful!!
Old 06-16-2007, 01:29 PM
Squid

2000vtr is on a distinguished road
The pipes and how they sound also depends on high mount or low mount. Low pipes usually louder because mid pipe is straight, high mount has an s bend that quiets it down. D&D pipes are the loudest that I have heard yoshi street baffles are pretty quiet. I think stock RC 51 pipes wii fit a hawk, and are louder than stock hawk pipes as well as lighter
Old 06-16-2007, 03:12 PM
Back Marker

Which companies make high pipes for the SH? It looks like high pipes are relatively rare.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:32 AM
Squid

Herbert is on a distinguished road
I've got a set of Staintune oval high-rise on my '05 'Firestorm' (Aussie version). Staintune are a local 'pipes manufacturer, pretty common on a range of bikes here. Removable baffles so your choice of louder or !@#$ing loud.... the dealer I got mine from described the sound as 'a kenworth on speed'! Now have in my hands a factory pro stage 1 kit to match the K&N, so looking forward to smoother noisy riding

Try link here> http://www.staintune.com.au/exhausts/honda/index3.htm
Old 07-07-2007, 02:09 PM
Squid

mtmansl
I have an RC now, but had carbon Devil high mounts on my old Superhawk. They were fantastic. I got compliments all the time, and I really do feel that Devils on a SH sound better than Sato Banzais on an RC!!!

Matthew
Old 07-07-2007, 05:34 PM
Squid

Steve30v is on a distinguished road
I just bought my SH and it had D&D slip-ons that are crazy loud. It sounds awesome taking-off from a light, down-shifting to pass, and just idling. It thumps like an HD but just a bit more aggressive.
Old 09-21-2007, 08:31 PM
SuperSport
SuperSport

supermarto is on a distinguished road
I am running a full baffelectomy, and I set off car alarms when I go by... I don't like it. My buddy went from Muzzy's (looked like garbage after a couple of years) to some really nice Titanium Microns on his 98 Supe... Awesome power, nice and quiet...

I am gonna try some short internal baffles from jc whitney to try and help silence the uncorked pipes for now.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:40 PM
smokinVTR
Squid

sittinxsidewayz is on a distinguished road
i have the carbon fiber race pips mid mount with no rear pegs the bike sounds like god and i fu throttle it right u get sick backfire and even flames deffinatley real happy i bought these!
Old 10-19-2007, 10:48 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Backfire is very unhealthy for CF pipes. I could at worst blow the can apart. Normally that will just loosen the rivets and blow out the packing more rapidly. I suggest you disable PAIR and let the acceleration make the cool sounds.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:56 PM
Back Marker

KC-10ENG is on a distinguished road
Hey Guys,

I have the black Erion Racing pipes on my bike and have had them on since 98 and they still look really nice and they sound awesome!

Dennis
Old 11-01-2007, 10:27 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by KC-10ENG
Hey Guys,

I have the black Erion Racing pipes on my bike and have had them on since 98 and they still look really nice and they sound awesome!

Dennis
I've had my Erions on for that long myself.... The only problem so far is the small loops that the springs hook into are about half way worn through now.....
Old 04-19-2010, 10:42 PM
Blue Racer
Squid

Blueracer is on a distinguished road
slip-ons and best sites to buy ?

I've looked/read many review on here sounds like 2 brother high mounts are most popular, Devils and Staintune all good marks for loud respectable rumble with solid quality and sharp look. I'm leaning towards 2 brothers titanium but still considering other options. Where is the best site to buy?
Looks like my range is in the neighborhood of $800 from what I've seen
Old 04-20-2010, 12:27 AM
SuperSport

residentg is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Blueracer
...Devils and Staintune all good marks for loud respectable rumble with solid quality and sharp look...
Staintunes are not that loud. I replaced D&Ds with Staintunes, D&Ds are LOUD.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:53 PM
Blue Racer
Squid

Blueracer is on a distinguished road
last question will i have to rejet? I just rejetted last season when the BGM filter was installed with OEM pipes (should have waited...). So rejet necessary? very expensive and I'm not handy - at all
Old 06-01-2010, 09:19 PM
Speed Demon
Superstock

crackerjackman is on a distinguished road
Im running Erion Racing black cans also. I love the deep rumble for the bike. Its loud enough that everyone hears me coming 4 blocks away. I also Love the fact that my pipes set off car alarms while driving down the road. And especially just slowly rolling through a parking garage. I love my hawk.

Philip
Old 06-02-2010, 08:02 PM
Bytes
Back Marker

Bytes is on a distinguished road
Not to be a contrarian, but...

I really like the sound of the stock exhaust. Not too loud, no head turning, but they look really good. I'm a lover the SH with it's stock cosmetics. I might pick up a pair of mufflers on ebay if the price is right and try a baffelectomy. I wouldn't do it to my stock cans just cuz I would hate to screw them up.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:20 AM
Squid

sschuyten is on a distinguished road
+ 1 on the Jardines.....don't they make my *** look sexy?

Price is lower.
Availability is higher.
Small rounds are harder to find but, worth the wait I promise you.
They all look better than stock, not a hard thing to do, and way lighter.
They all **** people off, be nice around the house.
The loudest here, may not be the best. The n th really doesn't come in 2 play.
Whichever manufacturer makes the finish you like should get your business.
See whats for sale on the forum or ebay, see if u can live with the savings?
Have your air filter chosen ahead of time and ready 2 install.
Pay somebody capable, sorry if you are, I am not even close to being capable to re jett this beast. Ditch all life sucking emissions at this same time.
Enjoy the sweet music.
Attached Thumbnails Exhaust/Slip On Advice-london-011.jpg   Exhaust/Slip On Advice-london-026.jpg   Exhaust/Slip On Advice-london-014.jpg  
Old 06-16-2010, 03:58 PM
Back Marker

CascadeRider is on a distinguished road
Silly question, but is a jetting needed any time you go from stock to aftermarket pipes?
Old 06-19-2010, 04:27 AM
Superstock

nekkid is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CascadeRider
Silly question, but is a jetting needed any time you go from stock to aftermarket pipes?
Not needed, but preferred. Engine will run better/smoother and you'll optimize any modest performance gains.