Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Exhaust mounting positions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 01:55 PM
Squid
Squid

thumper61713 is on a distinguished road
Exhaust mounting positions?

I am trying to decide which exhaust to buy, I like the way Two brothers looks but I want high mount and they do not offer high mount. I want a pretty loud exhaust so the Jardines might be good, I have heard that Yoshis are quiet...? I REALLY like Devil exhaust but they are bankrupt and really hard to find right now. Should I keep my exhaust where it is at or is high mount better?
Any opinions? I have read the threads about quiet exhausts and loud exhausts but I have not seen anything about the mounting positions and what is better? Does high mount throw off the balance of the bike?
Old 09-09-2009, 02:24 PM
I could ride in
SuperBike

LineArrayNut is on a distinguished road
I like my Jardine's but if you are a big guy the mid-pipe will get yer heel... I found out too late to get a heat shield...
Old 09-09-2009, 02:54 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Gregw is on a distinguished road
Micron still lists high mounts, though they are a little different, more angled than high. Here they are on my bike. Also, here is a link to their website with a sound file. http://www.micronexhaust.com/store/s..._vtr1000so.mp3
Attached Thumbnails Exhaust mounting positions?-sideview.jpg  
Old 09-09-2009, 03:51 PM
Superstock

pigwings
Call Two Bros - they might get you into some high pipes.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:51 PM
ride it out
SuperSport

nothing is on a distinguished road
I have the wolf high mounts, there more like undertail probably what you're looking for
Old 09-09-2009, 05:03 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by pigwings
Call Two Bros - they might get you into some high pipes.
Don't bother, I called them about three months back and was told they longer make the hi-mounts...
Old 09-09-2009, 05:12 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
I have Jardine hi-mounts right now. They're ok but not my ideal having owned them. I have the street baffles. Go for race baffles.

I own a set of blown out D&D's that I got from a member here and I'm currently running one of those on my '97 Interceptor. It's obnoxious loud but keeps the bitches off me while they pay more attention to their call than driving.

The Jardines are good for their angle. They could be 3-4 inches shorter to be perfect.

If I had it to do all over again, and you do with exhausts:

I would run my current Jet-Hot stock header with the matching mids that came from Jardine but had to be sent to Pascagoula so they would match the header. Instead of mounting the Jardine race baffle - regardless of finish - I would mount the D&D Carbon cans - maybe by that time they will offer them in Silver Carbon.
Attached Thumbnails Exhaust mounting positions?-pic00022.jpg   Exhaust mounting positions?-pic00019.jpg   Exhaust mounting positions?-pic00025.jpg  
Old 09-09-2009, 05:20 PM
SuperBike

drew_c14 is on a distinguished road
Don't give up on Devil yet, have patience. Once every few months you can find a decent set here or on fleabay. I have the devil CF high with baffle removed and like stated above they create a cell phone buffer zone.

hey...that rhymes
Old 09-09-2009, 06:35 PM
SuperBike

finepooch is on a distinguished road
i've had two yosh. one was on five bikes, gsxrs and an sv650! it was still in great shape when i let it go. my second yosh came with my hawk. it too is a great pipe.

i've also had arrow which i like. i have scorpions on my rc51 and they are ok. i'd really like to try leo vince. and for you, leo vince has high mounts.

as far as mounting position, i like them all. some high mounts look too "laddy boy" and some are well done. sometimes i like the can to be parallel to the tail section, other bikes(my rc51) look good with upsweeping elbows that set the pipe beyond parallel.

and the sound... jardine is pretty loud. d&d crazy loud. yosh i good. leo vince too.

is vance and hines still making sport bike pipes??? i hope not! hhahahahahaha
Old 09-09-2009, 06:52 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by drew_c14
Don't give up on Devil yet, have patience. Once every few months you can find a decent set here or on fleabay. I have the devil CF high with baffle removed and like stated above they create a cell phone buffer zone.

hey...that rhymes
Yeah, next you're going to be a musician. You're going to make me buy the bike to get your exhausts?

You need to keep your bike. You never know when Randy and I might show up.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:01 AM
SuperBike

drew_c14 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by nuhawk
Yeah, next you're going to be a musician. You're going to make me buy the bike to get your exhausts?

You need to keep your bike. You never know when Randy and I might show up.
Don't show up unannounced, I might be very very far away. Times they are a changin...
Old 09-10-2009, 04:19 PM
Squid
Squid

Everyone always says D&D's are "abnoxiously" loud, is that good or bad? Is it a good sound? Because I do not mind loud... I just want to get good pipes from the start. I dont mind waking up neighbors as I get woken up all the time by loud vehicles. Besides I start it and go pretty quickly anyways.
I looked on DandDexhaust.com and did not see pipes for a superhawk??
Old 09-10-2009, 04:50 PM
Back Marker

jaypo is on a distinguished road
Jardines

My Jardines with race baffles are really loud (for my neighborhood), but when your riding they are super sweet sounding. Everyone I ride with comments on them sounding great.
Old 09-10-2009, 05:02 PM
MotoGP

The D&D that's running on the VFR is positively without packing - it's melting out the lower joint on the can so I know it's shot. The D&D carbon fiber can on the 98 VFR that I owned briefly was really good. Nice low note but had that Nascar Raceday rasp when you got on it. I'm still kicking myself for letting that can go down the road.

Be warned! CF cans on a Superhawk get beat to death from the vibes. PO of my bike blew out a set of TBR cf cans before I bought it from him.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:03 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
I second the vote for Micron... best looking high mounts IMO. The other high mounts have too much mid pipe.

BTW, beautiful bike Gregw, why hasn't that been a contender in the VTROTM?

Originally Posted by Gregw
Micron still lists high mounts, though they are a little different, more angled than high. Here they are on my bike. Also, here is a link to their website with a sound file. http://www.micronexhaust.com/store/s..._vtr1000so.mp3
Old 09-10-2009, 09:23 PM
Back Marker

Kators is on a distinguished road
i've had two yosh. one was on five bikes, gsxrs and an sv650! it was still in great shape when i let it go. my second yosh came with my hawk. it too is a great pipe.

i've also had arrow which i like. i have scorpions on my rc51 and they are ok. i'd really like to try leo vince. and for you, leo vince has high mounts.

as far as mounting position, i like them all. some high mounts look too "laddy boy" and some are well done. sometimes i like the can to be parallel to the tail section, other bikes(my rc51) look good with upsweeping elbows that set the pipe beyond parallel.

and the sound... jardine is pretty loud. d&d crazy loud. yosh i good. leo vince too.

is vance and hines still making sport bike pipes??? i hope not! hhahahahahaha
How do Two brothers pipes sound compared to the others you listed? I am looking at getting exhaust and getting it on there this winter. Want something louder than the stockers I got, obnoxious doesn't matter or not. I live around loud trucks and harleys.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:28 AM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road
Don't rule out the option of a custom set up. You can get whatever mufflers you like if you are prepared to make your own mounts and mid pipes. This is what I did.

Name:  IMG_0194.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  142.1 KB

Name:  IMG_0193.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  151.4 KB

Name:  DSCN0176.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  110.7 KB
Old 09-11-2009, 08:31 AM
Squid
Squid

Shayne and Gregw I really like your front blinkers and how they are integrated into the mirrors!!! where did you guys get them from?
Also where do people buy D&D pipes? As I said previously I could not find them on there website, am I going to have to buy them on Ebay?
I am leaning toward D&D or Jardine.
Thanks Jaypo! maybe I will get Jardines with Race baffles!!
Old 09-11-2009, 11:16 PM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road
My mirrors were a custom job, and took a lot of time and money. Hope I never break one!

Perhaps Greg's are an easier option.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:43 PM
Squid

sschuyten is on a distinguished road
Round Jardine High Mounts with Race Cores

I even get Harley Guys asking me about my bike. Let her breathe and enjoy the ride.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:45 AM
Squid

blackvtr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mikstr
Don't bother, I called them about three months back and was told they longer make the hi-mounts...
funny, i just got my new two brothers hgih mount m5's in carbon fiber through star cycle, friday. I haven't had time to put them on yet... but i would think you can still get them if i did. p.s. $745 shipped.