Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Exhaust coatings/wrapping

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 05:04 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Exhaust coatings/wrapping

I found some high temps exhaust wrapping "cloth" (I had originally bought for my snowmobile) laying around and decided to wrap my headers. I started with the rear one, wanting to isolate the system and limit heat transfer into the shock. I then thought I'd wrap underneath to reduce the heating of the sump (when stopped in traffic...yikes!!). So I ended up using it all up by doing the front cylinder right to the cylinder.
I decided to try it, it didn't cost me anything.... What are your thoughts on the effect of heat wrapping? What about thermal /ceramic coatings? Help contain the heat? Any power improvement (a hotter pipe should allow gases to flow more easily) ?

Your thoughts gents (and ladies) ?

cheers
Old 11-27-2006, 07:23 PM
Back Marker

vitter is an unknown quantity at this point
I have heard that they can cause the metal to get brittle and crack.
Although I have never seen any evidence to support that claim.
Old 11-27-2006, 07:37 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
They are a no-no on thin walled stainless and Ti. Our stock headers are definitely NOT thin walled, and IMO are not stainless. But...according to the metallurgists 304 is actually stainless steel, though it is low grade. Exhaust wrapping should not be a problem. I would avoid getting them wet however.
Old 11-28-2006, 04:04 PM
Back Marker

SNGPerformance is an unknown quantity at this point
I think I'm going to have mine coated and then wrap them also.
Old 12-01-2006, 11:28 PM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road
I have heard when wet, they promote corrosion. A friend of mine lost a set of car pipes because of this happening.

I have Ti headers, and I didn't particularly like the look of the Ti as it didn't match my stainless mufflers, so I had them ceramic coated. Looks fantastic, and gives greater thermal efficiency as well according to all reports.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:28 AM
Back Marker

Arctic Fire is on a distinguished road
I'm looking into wrapping mine right now too, but i can't seem to find wrap in Canada? any suggestions anyone? what width is best to use? I am thinking of the 2".. I am going to try to find tan as well, it takes dirt a little better and has a track look. Opinions? comments?
Old 12-13-2006, 10:37 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
ebay has header wrap. I got mine from there but have yet to put it on. I'm waiting for a special day.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:25 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
I picked mine up at a place that does work on diesel truck exhausts, they had tons of it in stock. The stuff I picked up was about 3" wide
Old 12-13-2006, 07:05 PM
Superstock

Texassuperhawk
Maybe Jegs or Summit, I got mine at Competition Sales here in Houston.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:07 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Advance Auto Parts has it in their catalogue but my local store does not keep it on the shelf. It's a two or three day item and I think they only stock 2".
Old 12-13-2006, 09:04 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Waaaayy too expensive at Advance. I priced it here and they want like $50 for a roll and the little clamps. I got mine on ebay for about $20.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...le=header+wrap
Old 12-17-2006, 05:35 AM
Squid

thehandyman is on a distinguished road
i put it on my bike last year. noticed a little diff. in the summer with the heat issue. as far as power i dont know.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:23 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Heat Wrapping

Originally Posted by Hawkrider
Waaaayy too expensive at Advance. I priced it here and they want like $50 for a roll and the little clamps. I got mine on ebay for about $20.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...le=header+wrap
I got some 1" wrap years ago from Warshawsky's. I chose 1" because I thought it would conform to bends better. You are supposed to "paint" the wrap with a HT coating, which is supposed to minimize moisture absorption and provide chemical resistance for the wrap. They also recommend not using more than a 1/4" overlap to prevent hot spots and allow the header to still cool adequately. They say you get better performance and lower fuel consumption and that the mixture should be leaned out slightly because:

"By wrapping headers, exhaust gas heat within the header is maintained. This translates into better exhaust flow because the hotter the exhaust gasses stay, the faster they flow out of the engine. By improving the scavenging of spent gases, the engine breathes more efficiently. This reduces contamination of the intake fuel air charge with exhaust gases. Thus allowing the engine to develop more power with less throttle.

Why is it necessary to lean the motor down in most applications with the wrap?

Air/fuel mixture is enriched due to cooler intake and increased exhaust velocity. Increased scavenging of the exhaust has an effect on the induction side of any motor. Clearing the combustion chamber more efficiently means more efficient flow of the incoming air fuel mixture."

They also say it would take 30+ years for heat wrap to cause nominal deterioration of the header.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:58 PM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Hawkrider
They are a no-no on thin walled stainless and Ti. Our stock headers are definitely NOT thin walled, and IMO are not stainless. But...according to the metallurgists 304 is actually stainless steel, though it is low grade. Exhaust wrapping should not be a problem. I would avoid getting them wet however.

Actually the wrap holds up very well and does not cause a problem when wet. Mine has been on for nearly 5 years. I use simple green on my wrap when i wash the bike to keep it clean. I have been caught in the rain and ridden with it soaking wet just after a wash.

The proper way to install header wrap is to saok it in a bucket of hot water and then wrap it as tight as you can pull it around the pipe. Installing it wet cause it to stretch a little and then when it drys it shrinks back to normal size and is like steel. I use two runs of safety wire at each end to hold it on. The proper end to start on is the rear so the over laps are correct.

Here is a pic of mine installed with my track day body work on the bike
Name:  DSCF0010.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  178.2 KB
Old 03-09-2007, 07:13 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Really nice, Thumper but the final touch would be to coat the header so that it's chrome all the way back. Really like all the work that you've done to the bike.