Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Carb needle pics?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 06:39 PM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
Carb needle pics?

Anybody got any good photos comparing the stock VTR needles to those that came in a jet kit? Just curious.
Old 12-20-2006, 03:54 AM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road
No pics, sorry. But I can tell you the taper on a Dynojet needle is very very close to being the same as OEM. The main difference is the adjustable clip.
Old 12-20-2006, 04:18 AM
Back Marker

vtrgeoff
No pics here either, but the Factory Stage 1 needle has a mildly more aggressive taper, plus the adjustible clip.

G
Old 12-20-2006, 10:10 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by shayne
No pics, sorry. But I can tell you the taper on a Dynojet needle is very very close to being the same as OEM. The main difference is the adjustable clip.
Yeah, I just bought one brand new (Dynojet kit) for 25 bucks on eBay. I figured I couldn't go wrong for that price. The taper, although very similar to OEM, looks slightly richer and the needle is longer than the stock needle. I just dropped the needles in my carbs (with the clip on the fourth slot) without any other changes and it seems to have helped with the flat spot around 5500 rpm.
Old 12-21-2006, 06:46 PM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Actually you CAN go wrong. The Dynojunk kits are not good at all, you want to do yourself a favor and get a Factory Pro kit. You'll thank me for it.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:58 PM
Superstock

VTRDarren
Originally Posted by JamieDaugherty
Actually you CAN go wrong. The Dynojunk kits are not good at all, you want to do yourself a favor and get a Factory Pro kit. You'll thank me for it.
Care to elaborate on exactly what makes them different? Or specifically why the Factory Pro kit is better? It's not because they used the word "Pro", is it?
Old 12-21-2006, 10:09 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by JamieDaugherty

I know the general consensus about jet kits around here, but I have seen good and bad results with both kits. The needles have helped with the flat spot I had.
Anyway, 25 bucks is cheap for all the fun I can have chasing my tail trying to make the Super Hawk run perfectly.-)
Old 12-23-2006, 09:14 AM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
The Dynojunk kits just don't dial-in, plain and simple. You can never get the jetting right. At best you'll get it close but that's not good enough for me. The Factory Pro kits are usually perfect after one adjustment, sometimes you don't even need to change from the baseline settings.

Just my experiences, but I know that I'm not alone. If you try to use the Dynojunk kit good luck to you my friend.
Old 12-23-2006, 05:29 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Never say never! Some have had success with DJ, as killer wrote. I think the percentage of success is much higher with the Factory kit though. The "Pro" comes from the name of the company. www.factorypro.com
Old 12-23-2006, 10:32 PM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
Go with the Factory Pro kit and order a set of 48 pilot jets from your local Honda Dealer. The Pro kit probably still comes with a 50 Pilot (stock is 45) and that is just too big of a Pilot for the SuperChicken. It will make the bikle surge at steady throttle crusing. The 48 smooths it out. Funny thing is FactoryPro originally included the 48 instead of the 50 and for some reason or another started including the 50 instead of the 48 or atleast it was that way when i bought my kit 2 or 3 years ago.

Also buy the rear emulsion tube and install in into the front carb. This is the tube the main jet screws into, its a Honda part.

If you got an aftermarket pipe and hi-flow air filter you might start by going up one size main front and rear and changing the pilot and probably 3rd or 4th notch on the needle. Should get you close. YOu will also have to play with the air screws and be dang sure you sync the carbs ones you go in and work on them.

If you are not prepared to pull the tank 2 or 3 times to dial it in, then don't complain that jet kits stink and made your bike run worse.

It is a fine art to tune a carburated machine. The SuperHawk with hi-flow air filter and exhaust can be tuned to purr like a kitten at idle, part throttle or full wide open, Mine does and is in the correct air/fuel ration range from top to bottom on the Dyno.

Good luck.

Go with the Factory Pro TI Kit.

P.S. Let us know your elevation, pipe and filter type and we can respond with our settings for comparison, which may get you closer the first time you go in to install the kit.