Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

Goose gets a tickle.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 04:04 AM
Squid

Snoogle is on a distinguished road
Goose gets a tickle.....

Well the time has come to do something a bit different to poor old "Goose" basically I'm in the early stages of streetfighting my fairly bog standard Firestorm...

This picture is how I bought the bike back in Feb last lear....

Since that picture was taken I've changed the chain and sprockets for 16/45, added some chinese knock off Pazzo style levers and braided front lines (still got the clutch line to do but will do this while the panels are off.

How she looks now.....

I'm waiting for some pics off my spray guy of what he has done so far, but as far as I can tell, the tank and the rear seat hump have been primed and are ready for some colour and most of the what is going back on has been prepped. He's coming to my house today to show me some fiberglassing, so I'll get some pics of that (weather permitting)
Plastics going back on will be a pearl white and hoping to do the frame, subframe etc in black. I'm contemplating wrapping the manifolds, but will do them black for now I think.
Still waiting for some stuff to come in the post so I can crack on with bits to go to the powdercoaters etc so hopefully the project will gain momentum as the week goes on. 8)

Stuff I've bought......Triumph Speed Triple fly screen/bikini fairing, Renthal braced bars, CB400 Super Four top yolk (sure somebody says they fit - if not I'll make it fit somehow :wink: ) tail tidy with integrated rear light and some fork leg mounted headlight brackets. I'm trying to find some headlights that I like the look of. Speed Triple ones are too expensive so think I'm gonna have to have a go with the Dominator ones until I can find some I really like the look of.
I'm also in the hunt for some carbon cans, or re-doing my cans with some stuff from this site http://www.pjengineering.co.uk/index.asp
Ideas on this sub-project would be most most helpful

Anyway......I'll keep the pics and stuff coming as and when I get some!

Snoogle Woogle biatches!!
Old 02-27-2011, 01:21 PM
Squid

Top yolk time!!

Todays job was to get the new top yolk fitted......
I wont bore you with the pictures of the original, as I'm sure you're all fairly used to seeing what they look like.

Off with the old...
DSC00264-1.jpg?t=1298840373

On with the new...
DSC00266.jpg?t=1298840570

Well impressed with the fact that I took a plunge and they fit spot on with no worries. Next is to get some taller risers so the new bars clear the top of the suspension legs.

I'm after some advice actually, Is it worth doing that and keeping the standard suspension height and settings, or shall I just raise the legs in the yolks?! I understand that doing the latter will alter the way the bike rides, but, surely me swapping from clip ons to renthals will do that anyway?? HELP lol

Another thing to consider is that an ABM comfort kit or similar is north of £200. I've bought the yolk an bars for less than £50 and I'm sure if I had searched I could have bought all the parts needed for the conversion for even less than that!!

Top mod in my humble opinion, hope it has got some people's creative juices flowing!!

Time to site back and admire my handy work!!
Old 02-27-2011, 01:37 PM
Superstock

AngryOlaf is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Snoogle
I'm after some advice actually, Is it worth doing that and keeping the standard suspension height and settings, or shall I just raise the legs in the yolks?! I understand that doing the latter will alter the way the bike rides, but, surely me swapping from clip ons to renthals will do that anyway?? HELP lol
I would keep it standard and find taller risers. Raising the bars more with higher risers only changes your seating position... But moving the fork tubes down will change the angle of the front end (rake and trail) which will alter the handling characteristics of the bike, making it turn slower and feel less nimble.
Old 02-27-2011, 01:42 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by AngryOlaf
I would keep it standard and find taller risers. Raising the bars more with higher risers only changes your seating position... But moving the fork tubes down will change the angle of the front end (rake and trail) which will alter the handling characteristics of the bike, making it turn slower and feel less nimble.
Thought as much, thanks for your reply......to the web!!
Old 02-27-2011, 02:08 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
cool triple swap. what part are you fiberglassing? You making a new front fairing?

looking good so far... like others have said, changing the geometry the rake/trail will make riding different, although rising the bars up in the triples does make it turn in slower, it will be more stable at high speeds...
Old 02-28-2011, 04:19 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by 7moore7
cool triple swap. what part are you fiberglassing? You making a new front fairing?

looking good so far... like others have said, changing the geometry the rake/trail will make riding different, although rising the bars up in the triples does make it turn in slower, it will be more stable at high speeds...
Not quite, just repairing the old belly-pan. It had a few cracks here n there. Plus I'm changing it a bit so I dont kick it off every time I go to put the side stand down

I was considering making some "shoulder" fairings to cover the rads, but I quite like the look of them sticking out the side.....don't really see it on a normal 'fighter! Plus it gives the bike some width, they are very narrow otherwise IMO. Each to their own right?

Thanks for the replies on suspension/risers, found some risers I like the look of so just waiting on answer from seller
Old 03-11-2011, 03:53 PM
Squid

Cool Spy shots.....

Couple of spy shots.........

DSC00272.jpg?t=1299886852

IMAG0005.jpg?t=1299886827

Hoping to get it back on the road for next weekend depending on paint!

Wish me luck lol
Old 03-15-2011, 05:08 PM
Squid

Update

Got a few bits done since the last time I posted

Fitted the headlight brackets and mounted some old handle bars to the risers to work out where I'm gonna need to run cables etc
IMAG0006.jpg?t=1299956986

Then mounted up the clocks to work out how much room I'm gonna need for cables behind clocks and lights etc
IMAG0007.jpg?t=1299956986

Then finally mounted the fairing to cover the back of the clocks and tidy it all up
IMAG0011-1.jpg?t=1299956986

It now all needs to come off again to tidy everything up and swap out the shitty nuts and bolts for good ones and for the fairing to be sprayed

You may also notice that the exhausts have been removed....

After removing a rusted/snapped stud in the front head I managed to slap the new one on. I've decided to put a the baffle in the can as the previous owner (well his misses actually) said that it was a bit too loud to use without - we'll see. It's only a 2 min job to undo and remove the baffle if I think my tinnitus ridden ears can handle it without anyway so no big problem

Here it is....

IMAG0023.jpg?t=1300053744

Its not quite fitted to my liking yet, as I think I'm gonna have to get another link pipe made up so it comes up at more of an angle

Also while I was at it, I swapped my spare bars out for the ones I'm going to use. Managed to get most of the wiring hidden behind the cowl and lights just need to make a cover for the sides and get the dangling left switchgear cables out the way.....

IMAG0035.jpg?t=1300053744

When I was nearly finished for the day I turned round and found my 10 month old lad rifling through my tools working out which ones tasted better....

IMAG0025.jpg?t=1300055759

Apparently he likes the taste of a 17mm Hilka combi spanner, must teach him what they are really for

So to todays shenanigans.....well.....

I had a phone call whilst I was at work

IMAG0053.jpg?t=1300232119

They do need a good polish to finish them off but I couldn't wait to get the pics online lol
Just need to sort out some graphics and wait for other parts to come back. Then it can all go on
Its not a true reflection of the colour because its not out in natural light, so will probably look a bit different when I take some pics of them on the bike

IMAG0045.jpg?t=1300232273
IMAG0046.jpg?t=1300232560
IMAG0047.jpg?t=1300232340
IMAG0049.jpg?t=1300232368
IMAG0042.jpg?t=1300232560
IMAG0039.jpg?t=1300232560

Does that mean I'm a tiger blooded warlock whose fingertips radiate sunshine??
Charlie Sheen, gotta love him! lol
Old 03-15-2011, 11:34 PM
Superstock

hondavtr1000sp2 is on a distinguished road
I like the look of your paint, should look great in the sunshine.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:11 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
I hate to keep up with celebrity nonsense, but Charlie Sheen is just blowing my mind right now! Nice, clean mounting of the headlights, etc. I really like how you just moved the original gauge cluster.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:45 AM
Back Marker

ninjagoalie is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Snoogle
Apparently he likes the taste of a 17mm Hilka combi spanner, must teach him what they are really for
I like the taste of my 15mm wrench better...

Cute little man you have there. And your build is looking and coming together really great! I am looking forward to how the exhaust turns out when you are done. Thanks for all the pics.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:48 AM
Back Marker

offroad_rider2008 is on a distinguished road
poor charlie, lol, making drugs worse for the rest of us! lol, but I love the paint might consider doing my gsxr that color, then go with tattoo graphics
Old 03-16-2011, 12:33 PM
Superstock

Mattaua is on a distinguished road
sick man, can't wait to see the finished product
Old 03-16-2011, 06:36 PM
Squid

Cheers for all the comments guys.

Hoping that it shouldnt be too much longer now until I get it all bolted together again and get it back on the road.

I have finally got photoshop up and running on my laptop, so had a go at creating some stickers. They are nice and simple and I honestly think that they could be a winner! Its a take on the forum logo but not gonna show until I have them on the panels in case I don't like them lol then I can rip 'em off before they are seen.

PS...Ninja...

He is tooooo cute...must get his looks from the milkman/postman!! Gets away with everything
Old 03-21-2011, 01:35 PM
Squid

So here we are....I'm still waiting for few parts to come back from spraying so not quite finished but getting close

IMAG0071-1.jpg?t=1300711588
IMAG0073-1.jpg?t=1300711588

What dya think?

I had a few problems getting it running again after having the tank sprayed, turns out I'd connected the vac hose to the drain spout D'oh!!!!!

Ahhhh well, at least its running now. I will get some vids of it with the exhaust on for all of those interested, and will have it on the dyno soon through one of my mates who has access to one
Old 03-25-2011, 03:44 AM
Squid

Well no pictures just a bit of a report...

Finally got a few things buttoned up, tightened this and that etc etc

...and the best bit, managed to get out for a ride. I thought that the old mans 600 Bandit I had a go on at the weekend was nippy, but obv I had forgotten the bottom end grunt the old girl has

The good points to note are that its a hell of a lot more comfortable now and an added bonus is that the front end is even lighter than it ever was before. I think it could quite easily end up being a Suicycle.

Only thing I can complain about at the min (besides a serious lack of seat time) is the fact it's cutting out at low revs. I'll give it a good once over at the weekend and see if it is something simple like the idle control **** under the tank or something that requires a bit more attention. It might even need re-jetting with the new exhaust etc, but, I guess I'll just have to wait and see. Any suggestions on this one are more than welcome
Old 03-28-2011, 05:58 PM
Back Marker

Arctic Fire is on a distinguished road
Do you still have that lower? I'll buy it off you!
Old 03-29-2011, 02:34 PM
Squid

Updates.......

Got it running and **** me that can is loud!! I had the noise tester out and its weighing in at 92dB idle and 108dB at 4k rpm...not gonna be able to do any track days but thats not wot the bike is for anyway

Still got some prep work to do on the front mudguard, hugger and bellypan. As soon as this is dome ill get it back to my mate for spraying and hopeful have it all buttoned up again.

I am seriously considering packing the can wit some wadding to try and quieten it down a touch. I can imagine that level of noise getting very tiresome very quickly lol
Old 03-29-2011, 02:56 PM
Squid

FastRED is on a distinguished road
Where did you get that exhaust? How did you get it so you only need one can? Did you need to do any sort of tuning to get the engine to run properly without backfire and such? Looks great btw!
Old 03-29-2011, 09:36 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by FastRED
Where did you get that exhaust? How did you get it so you only need one can? Did you need to do any sort of tuning to get the engine to run properly without backfire and such? Looks great btw!
To be honest. I did an exhaust swap with a friend. The end can is from a gsxr 1000 k1 and all that was needed to be done to make it a single was cut the header just after the pipes join from 2 to 1 and then a small link pipe was made to fit the can. I'll find a pic of it off the bike in bits to show you

As far as I am aware my bike is on standard jets and I haven't had to change anything to make it run with the new exhaust.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:41 PM
Squid

Still waiting for some bits, might of guessed...

Anyway, here is a vid, got my exhaust on and packed seeing as though it wasn't quite the right tone for me.

YouTube - Tingle's VTR Firestorm with single Micron can

Wot ya think?

PS. Excuse the weeds....I mean greenery...I was once told a weed is only a weed if it growing somewhere you don't want it to ;-) lol
Old 06-16-2011, 04:13 PM
SuperSport

Crashrat is on a distinguished road
I dig the can. I've mulled over how to get a Buell underslung thing on the SH very often and this is as good as solution as I've found. One concern / question -- will a can off a I4 be blown apart by a twin?
Old 06-17-2011, 04:23 AM
Squid

I always worry about clearance when putting cans underslung.

I know what you mean about the can, when I re-packed it I did put some more rivets in just to reinforce it a bit...I'll be happy it lasts a year lol
Old 06-19-2011, 05:29 AM
Squid

bigspanishmarty is on a distinguished road
hi mate
dynojetting it will make a big difference with your exhaust set up, just ask mik_str from canada, he's got one of the most tuned superhawk/firestorms out there....
i'm glad to see you are on this forum as well as vtr1000.org like myself.....lol.
and if you do change your undertray/tailtidy let me know mate, i would be interested in buying off of you, even tho it doesn't throw out much light.....
Old 06-19-2011, 05:47 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by bigspanishmarty
hi mate
dynojetting it will make a big difference with your exhaust set up, just ask mik_str from canada, he's got one of the most tuned superhawk/firestorms out there....
i'm glad to see you are on this forum as well as vtr1000.org like myself.....lol.
and if you do change your undertray/tailtidy let me know mate, i would be interested in buying off of you, even tho it doesn't throw out much light.....
I think I joined up here before I did on the UK site lol
Yeh I know the key thing to get it running well with the exhaust set-up will be jetting and a set up. Just have to wait and see about that. I'm contemplating a lightened flywheel first though. Don't see the point in having the jets and set up done before I change something else which SHOULD dramatically change the way the bike revs out.

If I you buy me the other undertail u can have this one? How's that?
Old 06-24-2011, 04:43 AM
Squid

Nearly there...

I finally got my hugger, front mudguard and headlight cowl/fairing back from my mate who's spraying it for me.
Pic of me throwing them on...

IMAG0482.jpg?t=1308914426

Got my headlights set up and the beam pointing in the right direction. All the wiring connected and shrink wrapped behind the newly painted and fitted cowl...

IMAG0488.jpg?t=1308914241

Got a pic of the rear end and lights...

IMAG0457.jpg?t=1308915387

And here's a pic of the decals I had made (can you guess where I got the inspiration??)...

IMAG0456.jpg?t=1308914665

Also got this one to go on the front cowl when I get chance

Firestormlogo2.jpg?t=1308608200

Here is an up to date pic of her sat outside the test station waiting in anticipation of a fettle by the test man.

IMAG0495.jpg?t=1308913973

All in all a very busy week, she just needs a ******* GOOD CLEAN!!!!!

I'm still waiting for my belly pan to come back as we didn't have time to get that prepped and sprayed with the other bits so that's something else to look forward to. I think that and getting the wheels powdercoated white will finish off the look I'm after! 8)

I did blow the end plate off the exhaust can when I went for a ride after the test lol so the next project on the cards will be fixing or replacing that

Let us know wot ya'll think :beer:

Nearly forgot....the Lincoln Autojumble is tomorrow, so me and the lad will be popping along to see if there are any deals to be had :thumbup:
Old 07-13-2011, 09:25 AM
Squid

Well yesterday I decided to give my bike a clean (got a week off work for my birthday!!!)

Only problem was after a couple of mins of messing about with the wheels trying to clean the polished edge of the rim I decided it was about time that I took them off for powder coating...

IMAG0526.jpg?t=1310550434

IMAG0527.jpg?t=1310546709

IMAG0528.jpg?t=1310546652

You can also see in the first pic that I've taken the front mudguard and tank off too. I scratched the mudguard when installing so that's getting a fresh spray and my mate who did the spraying wasn't happy with the job on the tank so he wanted to re-do that too. Should be getting my belly pan done at the same time so will be looking a bit different the next time I put up some pics.
Old 07-23-2011, 05:33 AM
Squid

Cool

Soooooooo....Got a couple of bits sorted out so got a couple of pics to show.

I took the wheels off to get powder coated and got them back last weekend along with a couple of other bits that I got sprayed.
Fitted it all on Monday night so I thought I better get a picture of it posted up here to see what you guys think now its almost there now...

Sorry the pics aren't the best but will get some better ones up as soon as I can.

IMAG0555.jpg?t=1311368177

IMAG0563.jpg?t=1311368234

IMAG0557.jpg?t=1311368207

I'm actually really impressed with how the bike looks now the wheels and belly pan have been put on.

What you all think?
Old 07-23-2011, 12:26 PM
Ditch Magnet
Squid

mput is on a distinguished road
Nice job, sweet bike. The wheels do make the rest of the bike pop. I would be shopping for chain wax or anti anti fling lube.
Old 07-23-2011, 01:22 PM
Superstock

t-dogg is on a distinguished road
Very impressive! The wheels made a huge difference and actually make it a little more modern to me. Very creative idea with the exhaust also...

Quick Reply: Goose gets a tickle.....