Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

CBR929 cluster

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 01:58 PM
Squid

mopar_man is on a distinguished road
CBR929 cluster

Has anyone swapped there early model VTR analog cluster for a CBR929 digital one? Any help would be appreciated
Old 04-29-2012, 12:18 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Nope, never been done... And you can't find 10+ discussions with the exact steps to recreate it either by searching for it... I'm sure that's entirely impossible...
Old 04-29-2012, 11:49 AM
Squid

mopar_man is on a distinguished road
great advice, thanks...
Old 02-02-2013, 09:23 AM
SuperSport

sailorjerry is on a distinguished road
Tweety has some sarcasm, Haha.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:20 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
So should I come on & type in BAZINGA whenever someone sticks their neck out and tweety swats them with GO SEARCH slap down?

Oh and mopar. I did it with a CBR600RR dash. Its awesome. Digital speedo, digital temp guage and working fuel guage. (my bikes a 98).

It is not for the mere mortal or faint of heart. I think you can check my threads.

heres the tube vid

You can use a 2nd gen vtr float or do what I did and graft a cbr float to fit. (but its amazingly difficult). But the vtr one doesnt get you the whole guage of bars.

Oh and you need the cbr temp sensor too.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:58 AM
SuperSport

matt365 is on a distinguished road
Joe, I think the redline difference between the two would mix me up a bit. Perhaps some red vinyl over the tach where the VTR redlines to cover past 9.5 grand?
Old 02-03-2013, 09:04 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by matt365
Joe, I think the redline difference between the two would mix me up a bit. Perhaps some red vinyl over the tach where the VTR redlines to cover past 9.5 grand?
The rev limiter cuts in at 10.3K RPM so does it really matter?
Old 02-03-2013, 12:05 PM
SuperSport

matt365 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
The rev limiter cuts in at 10.3K RPM so does it really matter?

I suppose it doesn't Mike.

Just a suggestion.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:19 PM
MotoGP

On a vtwin you dont notice it. Keep an eye on your tach and tell me how often it goes anywhere near redline.

For me on the street I was never using the full tach, but even when I do its not hard to know where the 9 is.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:58 AM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
On a vtwin you dont notice it. Keep an eye on your tach and tell me how often it goes anywhere near redline.
Umm.....daily? It can also be identified by the WHAP-WHAP-WHAP-WHAP of the limiter cutting in. I know the sound very well.

I think Tweety himself did a CBR1000RR cluster swap. Should be doable with a little effort and the VTR and CBR's wiring diagrams.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:03 AM
MotoGP

Daily? Maybe anger management would help. (joking, dont torch my house)

I found that there is plenty of swept field on the cbr dash to use. For sure tweetys 1000RR dash is a better option but I found the 600 dashes to be less than half the cost so it was better for me. I do love the digital speedo tho. Couldnt read the #s on the 200mph sweep on the archaic stocker. Digital temp and clock sweet too. And fuel guage on 98 is awesome. Like getting a new bike
Old 02-05-2013, 02:30 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by JamieDaugherty
Umm.....daily? It can also be identified by the WHAP-WHAP-WHAP-WHAP of the limiter cutting in. I know the sound very well.

I think Tweety himself did a CBR1000RR cluster swap. Should be doable with a little effort and the VTR and CBR's wiring diagrams.
Not only doable, it's in fact easy, since I have posted the wiring...

And it has the added benefit of the programmable shiftlight that I have set to flash at stock redline....
Old 02-05-2013, 06:30 AM
MotoGP

Tweety easy? AND a shiftlight? I had the biggest issue building (literally) the tank float. I am guessing you used a 2nd gen float & use less bars on the dash?

For sure that is the better way to do it but like I said I just could spend that much when I could get the 600 so much cheaper.

One thing I did do is track down and graft in the stock plugs. This way at any moment I can unplug this unit and replug the stock. I hate burning bridges (mechanicly, but do it alot in life)
Old 02-05-2013, 06:53 AM
MotoGP

The easy part was about the cluster as a whole... I have the matching sets of wires posted more than once, and apart from that, it's the same issues you have already fixed with the temp sensor and such...

The older ->07 gauges doesn't have a tank gauge as stock, so I just built and added one with ten LED's as bars, easy peasy... Actually, I used a VFR float, as that's the tank I'm using, so it was a direct drop in... But for the newer gauges, the tank gauge is identical to what you have now... (Yeah, yeah... It's cheating to build your own... )

I kind of did the same, I replaced the stock plugs with a weather sealed single large plug, and used the same on the stock gauge/swapped gauge, so I can put it back if I want to as well...
Old 02-05-2013, 07:23 AM
MotoGP

OH! So you created your own bar guage out of leds? I gotta call foul on that, cuz its WAY outside of easy. (to mere mortals).

I didnt know you had a vfr tank. I figure the inside of your head must sound alot like mine, and I'm a lifelong insomniac.

For my float I had to use plastic welding since all the epoxy I tried just didnt survive. Even "plastic gas tank repair" stuff. The cbr float is thermoplastic so it melts & welds easily(well, not easily)
Old 02-05-2013, 08:22 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Come on, Joe! Just gotta swap the tank with a VFR one (you know, new petcock location and block the old one), new temp sensor that works with the sending unit for the computer (the old one is now a just a plug), match all the different wires and try to either use existing harness plugs that don't have the right number of connectors or find new ones from God know's where, mount the thing from different points, program a shifter or something and you're done! It's a piece of cake! Why you gotta be warning people of Tweety's relative scale of "easy"? That's just fine print...
Old 02-05-2013, 08:50 AM
MotoGP

Seven, the next thing we'll find out is that tweety mined his own silicon and copper, refined it into chips and wire, etc.

I am just trying to look out for the neophytes around here since in some ways I am still one of. I know a little about a little, just enough to get me in way over my head most of the time.

BUT I usually enjoy the process so its not total torture.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:10 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Whats funny, is the bleating going on from a few,,

All of those things above, are MOD's done, documented, are easy to follow and replicate. The fact that a few find them confusing and difficult then berate another user for saying they are in reality just simple MOD's.. yes a hand full needed to do the overall change as Tweety described... but individually, simple. Folks have done the VFR tank swap with just hand tools, a hack saw, hammer and a drill. Wiring harnesses can be a bit complicated for anyone unable to read a wiring schematic and use a VOM, use a heat gun, soldiering gun plus some crimpers. But my Son has been able to do that since he was 10, so Id guess most adults ought to be able to learn as well.

While I understand one persons easy is another's monumental task... That really speaks more to the limits of the one person and not the strengths of the other.

Back on topic...

The large unused portion of the Swapped TACH is what has stopped me from this MOD.... I like the updated look... and I'd like a digital speedo read out... but the half unused Tach sweep to me makes the whole thing look unfinished, unrefined. And well aesthetically unpleasing. Seeing as My speedo and Tach works just fine... with full performance as needed... A Swap to a different look that is not aesthetically complete as it is fully functional.. just makes no sense.

Hats off to those that like the look and have or will make the swap...Building a VTR to what YOU want is the endstate and there is no wrong answer... just different ones.

Last edited by E.Marquez; 02-05-2013 at 09:17 AM.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:28 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Haha, I was just messin'...

It's not necessarily an evening project though, or even a weekend one if you missed one of the posts, but it *could* be if you prepped for it.

In all fairness, the swap is pretty easy and I'd be curious to see any seriously mess it up because like you said it's all pretty straight forward, as opposed to adding a supercharger or something similarly involved and discretely documented. But it's no oil change either.

If you're like me, I had to learn how to get the little wires out of the plugs, which isn't hard but the very first time takes like 30 minutes to figure it out. Or learn that I had to source a temp sender to work with the new gauges, then learn that I needed to test it (and then testing takes 10 minutes, learning how to the first time takes at least 30 minutes). All of these things would be a breeze now and take me a quarter of the time easily...

Seriously, though, I'm just having fun... I'm just remembering the days when I didn't know what the hell a "ground" wire was for, haha!
Old 02-05-2013, 10:16 AM
MotoGP

Marquez, sound like you have a career in politics in you future.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:31 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by E.Marquez
The large unused portion of the Swapped TACH is what has stopped me from this MOD.... I like the updated look... and I'd like a digital speedo read out... but the half unused Tach sweep to me makes the whole thing look unfinished, unrefined. And well aesthetically unpleasing. Seeing as My speedo and Tach works just fine... with full performance as needed... A Swap to a different look that is not aesthetically complete as it is fully functional.. just makes no sense.
Another reason I choose the early model CBR 1000RR gauge... It only goes to 13.5K which means the redline at 11.5K "matches" up to the VTR's stock revlimiter, so the only "unused" part is the red colored area...

It's not visible on the image, but it actually has the bar gauge for the tank at the top left edge, inside the glass, aimed down... It goes from one green LED to yellow and red, and then blinking as RLOD equivalent...

Not in the picture, added later is the prototype gear indicator, and voltage meter, added at the top right edge, like the tank gauge... The voltmeter has a switch between warning light, ie on when NOT charging, and on, showing current voltage...

Like some said, not a newbie project perhaps... But, yeah, I'm an EE by trade, so that part I find extemely easy...

And, seven... I'm not that bad, really... I'm just easily frustrated by newbs that procastrate instead of picking up a tool and trying to learn, just because "IT'S ELECTRICS, THAT'S HARD!"...
Old 02-05-2013, 03:27 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
Marquez, sound like you have a career in politics in you future.

No idea what the hell that means....

And as my response was an honest one that had no hidden meaning, nor was paid for, it should be clear i have absolutely no future career in politics

Last edited by E.Marquez; 02-05-2013 at 03:35 PM.