Members Rides Show off your SuperHawk!

My cafe build round II the CX

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 04:46 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
That sounds fun... Right now I'm about to take a hammer to my compressor... Sounds like your day is going about as good as mine...
Old 05-06-2010, 05:07 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Cool! My bike can "roll over and play dead" too. Unfortunately mine was put on its side by a distracted cager.

I hate it when studs/bolts break off flush like that. PB Blaster and a left hand drill bit sometimes works better than an easy out. Especially with smaller sizes where the easy out is likely to break. In 34 years of teaching Vocational Automotives, you wouldn't believe how many broken fasteners I had to deal with. Chisel and hammer sometimes works too.

The speedo, controls and all looks great.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:48 PM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
yes, sounds like you guys understand perfectly. my vote if you are going to hit something with a hammer is a 20 lb sledge after one hit you are too tired to hit it again.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:20 PM
Back Marker

Hawknut
I can appreciate your views on simplification.Being a mechanic for over 40 years I have seen the over and under engineered and had to work on it.Sometimes when we want to change engineering to simplify we fail to see the real reason it was done a certain way.You have definately simplified the rear suspension.Going from 2 shocks to 1.In doing so you have put alot more stress on the swing arm.Your bracing may help but the concern I have is for failure in the area were the torque tube mounts to the final drive.By moving the shock mount to the torque tube you have now made eveything aft a load bearing member.That joint was not design as a load carrying area. Several things could fail here in this possible order 1)weld failure at torque tube to flange.2)Studs pulling out of final drive(with or without cracking around studs.3)Studs shearing off.Not saying this will happen but with your change the possibility is there.Just keep an eye on this area.Keep a eye on those Com Star wheels too.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:37 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Hawknut
I can appreciate your views on simplification.Being a mechanic for over 40 years I have seen the over and under engineered and had to work on it.Sometimes when we want to change engineering to simplify we fail to see the real reason it was done a certain way.You have definately simplified the rear suspension.Going from 2 shocks to 1.In doing so you have put alot more stress on the swing arm.Your bracing may help but the concern I have is for failure in the area were the torque tube mounts to the final drive.By moving the shock mount to the torque tube you have now made eveything aft a load bearing member.That joint was not design as a load carrying area. Several things could fail here in this possible order 1)weld failure at torque tube to flange.2)Studs pulling out of final drive(with or without cracking around studs.3)Studs shearing off.Not saying this will happen but with your change the possibility is there.Just keep an eye on this area.Keep a eye on those Com Star wheels too.
Obviously any time you change something you are introducing an entirely new set of stresses and issues. Anyways just because something was not designed for a certain use does not mean it won't work. I will of course keep an eye on it but I don't envision problems (maybe hope) who knows, no expert or anything but I do know my metal and most people have no idea how strong some things really are once welded, or bolted for that matter. At any rate I will keep my eye on the drive shaft bolt mounts I hadn't consider them suspect. What was wrong with the comstars?
Old 05-06-2010, 08:33 PM
MotoGP

The spokes of the Comstars were riveted to the rim. Like I said earlier, my CX had 72,000 miles on it when I sold it. I put 53,000 of those miles on it, and even flat out at 105 on Angeles Forest Highway, I never had a problem with them. Comstars were also used on the CB750F. My friend had a '78 CB750F that he rode the crap out of for at least 90,000 miles. I heard of problems with them, but never knew anyone who had a problem. I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:52 PM
SuperBike

Thanks VTR Surfer the info on the wheels I just forgot already .

and FWIW the monoshock setup was not to simplify an already simple machine it was to allow for a lower and much cooler seat and tail section. If I wanted it simple I would have left it alone. Just trying to eliminate any confusion about my simple things speech a number of posts back. I don't do simple customs I try and do cool customs. Cool by my definition at least. Good now I feel better. No one should ever misunderstand crazy peoples thread ramblings.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:02 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by cornandp
No one should ever misunderstand crazy peoples thread ramblings.
Hey, sometimes that just goes along with being creative. Just don't go cutting your ear off or anything like that.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:21 PM
SuperBike

nah I just cut ugly motorcycles
Old 05-07-2010, 11:25 AM
SuperBike

Its beginning to look like a race bike! I got the carbs back on, the shock frame mount painted, the carbs jetted, also finished the exhaust and it is mounted. Just batteries, a seat, blinkers, and the license plate.

Name:  IMG_0123.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  174.1 KB

Name:  IMG_0125.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  143.6 KB

Name:  IMG_0124.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  118.7 KB
Old 05-10-2010, 07:14 PM
SuperBike

Anyways I started the bike today and all I have to say is wow this thing sounds great. I will post a vid tomorrow, but I don't think the video properly shows the ground shaking reverbs you can feel through your feet when next to the bike ;D.

Though its not all good news, I have a short somewhere in my electrical system that I am beginning to think might be in the horn system as the original wiring has some burned ends and after I disconnected it it stopped shorting. Now I need to figure out what to do about that. Also the AGM battery I bought doesn't allow enough flow through the terminals to engage the starter...arg so a waste of $4O now I need to decide whether to do what I originally planned which was two small motorcycle batteries with the sturdy style terminals or use the huge and ugly stock battery. I don't want to spend more money though but the downside is the ugly battery...any thoughts guys?
Old 05-10-2010, 09:00 PM
Superstock

spladle160 is on a distinguished road
No thoughts on the battery situation but have you thought about trying to move the headlight up about 3 inches, that or everything above it down? I just imagine it making the bike look a lot tougher. Oh and I think that brake pedal lever looks god awful on an otherwise great custom, maybe you could use your skills to make one that doesn't stick out so much and make me worry the kickstand needs to be shorter to make up for all that extra weight on the right. No matter what you do it's another great looking bike.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:12 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by spladle160
I think that brake pedal lever looks god awful on an otherwise great custom, maybe you could use your skills to make one that doesn't stick out so much
This I agree with, but I may wait to modify it. Its one of those things that could be an easy afternoon project once the bike is complete if I still have the time. Actually I like the headlight where it is. I tried it higher up but it looked goofy to me.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:17 AM
SuperBike

Here is a sound vid

Old 05-11-2010, 10:27 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Sounds good!
Old 05-12-2010, 08:06 AM
SuperBike

Anyone have an old vtr master cylinder laying around I might be able to buy from someone on the cheap?
Old 05-12-2010, 08:37 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by cornandp
Anyone have an old vtr master cylinder laying around I might be able to buy from someone on the cheap?
Clutch or brake?
Old 05-12-2010, 08:53 AM
SuperBike

brake, I was figuring that people who have upgraded to the f4i MC might still have the old one collecting dust. I want to try it on the cx since its old one may be a problem. No matter how much fluid I run through it it always has bubbles. So I will probably swap for braided lines and an upgraded MC if I can find it.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:11 AM
MotoGP

Ah I have a clutch MC laying around I'd let go for cheap (shipping) for the sake of your project.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:41 AM
SuperBike

Yep it was the MC I swapped it out for a cb750 unit I had laying around. Now the brakes are firm again. One problem off of my list. Next up jetting, I tried larger jets but I think I under estimated the amount of flow this motor has now with filters and pipe. Also as a note the day I rode it home it wasn't running real great but it felt very smooth like more like an inline and now it throbs like a v-twin should. If I can jet out the large flat spot under initial throttle and stop the lean backfiring out the tail pipe under mid range I will be happy. It feels like it will be pretty mean for a 500.
Old 05-13-2010, 03:13 PM
SuperBike

The shock feels good so far I haven't tested how it behaves under higher speeds and corners. I had it to about 40mph for a second then was at the end of the street. Making u turns was a simple affair, so fingers crossed that the shock is right, but its looking good for now.
Old 05-13-2010, 04:46 PM
Squid

joe6pack is on a distinguished road
Very cool, miraculously so for one of those.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:05 PM
Superstock

t-dogg is on a distinguished road
The bike is so badass. Like this one even more than the cb..
Old 05-13-2010, 09:47 PM
SuperBike

thanks guys, I am trying to not get too stuck on any particular style, although you wont find me ever making any raked out choppers, yuck. Once the finishing touches are on this bike it will really stand out. Just to warn some of you, that won't happen until next winter.
Old 05-17-2010, 04:14 PM
SuperBike

Update

Well I am still fighting the front brake not working. I have 3 master c's laying around one pumps great but won't release, one won't pump at all and the other has a micro crack in the casting causing a leak so I can't get all the air bubbles out . I just ordered a cheapo ebay unit we will have to see what happens with that, fingers crossed.

I finished the seat and its cover. I took some leftover seat panel from a porsche I think, and just did the cover myself. It doesn't look great but it will work. Actually I am embarrassed to show you since it isn't on par with my metal work. Now you know why I farmed it out for Little Horse's seat..

I still need to hook some batteries up I am planning on doing two short height batteries instead of one tall battery. Hopefully that will be sorted soon. At any rate sorry things are slowing down on it. I still am waiting to get the brakes working before heading out for a decent test ride.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:45 PM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
a caliper cylinder can cause a brake not to return. have you inspected the seals & cleaned the piston ?

tim
Old 05-17-2010, 05:59 PM
SuperBike

no, but it is a mc that did the same thing on another bike (dad's cb750). I took it off of his bike along time ago. Today I tore it apart cleaned everything blew everything out and it still stuck. The other MC the caliper releases like normal it just doesn't have any power because of the crack. Also once the line is disconnected on either end the caliper piston can be pushed in by hand pretty easily. I may clean it out though anyways just because. I am probably going to find a braided line to go with the new MC once it comes. It is a little frustrating to not be getting anywhere with this though.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:42 AM
SuperBike

I highly recommend squinting

Name:  IMG_0154.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  130.1 KB

Name:  IMG_0155.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  120.0 KB
Old 05-28-2010, 10:11 AM
SuperBike

Been pretty busy with actual work so its been a little while since there have been updates. Anyways I mounted an AGM battery under the engine, it is near the exhaust outlet so I built a dual purpose strap and heat shroud. Here are some shots of that.

Name:  IMG_0172.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  174.5 KB

Name:  IMG_0171.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  177.5 KB

Name:  IMG_0173.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  134.7 KB
Old 05-28-2010, 01:41 PM
Superstock

spladle160 is on a distinguished road
Well that won't hurt the center of gravity. I would be a little afraid of the heat, any carbon fiber left that you could replace the sheet metal with or maybe or maybe just throw some thin insulation in there.

Quick Reply: My cafe build round II the CX