Members Rides Show off your SuperHawk!

My cafe build round II the CX

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 01:39 PM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
The exhaust is coming along nicely. I will just be doing a simple under engine can for now.

Name:  IMG_0096.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  130.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0097.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  151.3 KB

Also I have decided to put the ignition embedded in the cowl. It was very long and I couldn't find anywhere else. Plus I actually think it is cool back there, but maybe I will be the only one.

Name:  IMG_0098.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  122.8 KB
Old 04-27-2010, 02:23 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Kind of looks like a Saab, with the ignition switch in the console.

Good idea with the exhaust, should be really light.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:14 PM
SuperBike

VTS you weren't kidding the shock is great. Props to VTS guys he is a great seller!
Old 04-27-2010, 09:32 PM
Cigar Officianado
Squid

Stogey is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=Stogey;263839]
Originally Posted by cornandp
Well, I got tired of trying to make all the parts for the tail and cowl. So I am putting the original seat back on.

You better take your temp.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:33 AM
SuperBike

Well initial trial and error is done on the shock mounting location time to weld her up and road test.

Name:  IMG_0099.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  132.7 KB

Name:  IMG_0100.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  117.9 KB
Old 04-28-2010, 06:14 PM
SuperBike

My swing arm brace is going to have to go under rather than on top of the swing arm. Not enough room up there with the shock and all.
Old 04-29-2010, 03:35 PM
SuperBike

So here are some more pics of the exhaust and of the brace. Some things are just tacked in place so don't panic. I need to remove the rear wheel so I can weld up the swing arm. Then paint it. The exhaust is done other then a few dents I will blend out hopefully, I have a feeling the exhaust is love it or hate it, but it is very light and keeps the look of the bike very compact which was the goal with this one for me. After that it is on to the details left undone. Brake lines back on and new fluid. Shock fluid replaced Wiring to finish blinkers to install all little stuff that I probably won't post then first ride yehaw.

Name:  IMG_0103.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  165.3 KB
Name:  IMG_0105.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  122.3 KB
Name:  IMG_0106.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  89.0 KB
Name:  IMG_0101.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  88.2 KB
Name:  IMG_0102.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  91.2 KB
Old 04-29-2010, 04:22 PM
MotoGP

The exhaust looks good.

But I guarantee you will need to rejet with those K&Ns. I tried a K&N in my '78 with the stock airbox, and went back to the stock element a week later, because it had a big mid range flat spot. That was with 2 into 1 exhaust that it had when I bought it.. At least the carbs are sitting right there staring at you, unlike on the VTR. Rejetting would take about 10 minutes per carb, including R & R.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:29 PM
SuperBike

I expected to need to fiddle with jetting, hopefully not too much of a nightmare but you are right the carbs will be very easy to pull.
Old 04-30-2010, 01:23 PM
Squid

dean is on a distinguished road
love where you're going with this. i will say that going through all this work it's a shame to see you stick with the stock seat. i liked what you were doing before.

also, that exhaust is very much like what i'd like to do with my cafe cx500 when i get around to it. a few questions if you don't mind.
- what can is that and what are it's measurements?
- how much ground clearance do you have with it?
- could you click a pic from the side at a distance so i can see who the under-engine can looks?
- i've never done headers before... where did you get the piping, what size is it and what is the material?

where are you going to put all your electrical and battery?

really can't wait to see this completed.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:20 PM
SuperBike

LOL the stock seat thing was totally a joke just to point out the hilarity in how huge it is.

The can is a resonator found on alot of Audi's. I used the stock headers but changed the directions they point. I also ended up using a few elbow from another exhaust that happened to have the same material as the stock headers. Ground clearance is still good, probably seven inches to the can so plenty still. The size of the additional tubing is 1 1/2 in OD. I am going to put the batteries anywhere where they are almost invisible to the eye. I have a few options here but I will need to fiddle most likely. The electrical bits go under the seat and the R/R goes under the cowl.

Name:  IMG_0110.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  139.6 KB

Name:  IMG_0111.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  119.0 KB

Name:  IMG_0109.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  156.8 KB

Name:  IMG_0112.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  168.1 KB
Old 05-02-2010, 07:16 PM
SuperBike

I must have scared everyone away...

Ok guys I am sorry, I cut up another classic...you can come out and harass me for how horrible this thing is turning out.

Truth, in an age of complexity I find myself searching for the meaning behind mechanical life. Everywhere I look there are mechanical things so complex mechanics now are trained to work on only one car brand sometimes even being an expert of only one model. Why, in our ability to create things can we not engineer within it simplicity? I don't know myself for sure but money is definitely behind this issue and that is what angers me. This is why I find myself tirelessly working on old things, grease always left there between my callused fingerprints. I try to wash them spotless but the black never really breaks free. After a few weeks of not wrenching they are clean again as new skin has replaced the old. I see it as my reminder I have been away too long. My red box of tools calls me, the dust forming on its lid as an outrage to my absence. With the completion of my cb project I found myself feeling empty. There was nothing for my mind to wander to. No crazy ideas I could bring to life. Just fantasies of future projects, the allure of the unknown, maybe in part my personal purgatory. A place where things could be, and at the same time not be. The untried and the unsolvable it haunts me and the only answer to it is to pursue it to go for my dreams. My dreams are of iron and steel and my hands know how to form them, somehow my hands know what to do all I have to do is listen to them. It would be a sin for me not to use my hands, a crime to the one who imparted this trade to me. There will be more, there has to be now I am beyond the point of turning back and it inspires me.

Don't get too caught up in my ramblings .
Old 05-02-2010, 07:36 PM
Superstock

AngryOlaf is on a distinguished road
Oh that poor, poor CX. So unfortunate I'm not referring to your project... I talking about the stock one that will one day find itself parked next to your beautiful creation and long for what it could be.
Old 05-02-2010, 07:48 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Don't get too caught up in my ramblings .
Why not? They are half the reason I come back to this thread...
Old 05-02-2010, 09:26 PM
Cigar Officianado
Squid

Stogey is on a distinguished road
The Goldwing cafe is next.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:39 PM
Back Marker

Karbon is on a distinguished road
Build projects are awesome. I'm rooting for you. good luck with the build!
Old 05-02-2010, 10:21 PM
MotoGP

The stock CX looked like crap. You're creating a 1 of a kind.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:01 PM
Back Marker

revhead1957 is on a distinguished road
Hanging out for each day's progress.
I totally relate to your 'ramblings' about a simpler mechanical life. I often wonder about the state of the latest bike offerings in 20 years or so - sensors everywhere with connections that will inevitably break down with corrosion and the absolute nightmare of finding the rogue connection.
I was out on a ride yesterday with a guy on his latest GSXR1000 and he was having fits about not being able to blip on downshifts to lower gears - it farts just like ours sometimes do. He has taken it to the dealer and they plug it in, announce that there is nothing coming up with an error message, therefore there is nothing wrong it is him!
Old 05-03-2010, 05:20 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
A guy I used to know (now dead) once said in a moment of clarity...

"I like my complicated things simple and my simple things complicated..."

He was talking about bikes and women...

Which was which he didn't specify... If you figure it out let me know...
Old 05-03-2010, 06:01 PM
SuperBike

I think alot of it for me is I like being able to understand the entire system and how it works as a unit. The latest and greatest has things I don't fully understand nor could I even tell you all the sensors what they are and how they change things. I don't like the unknown. It just seems complicated for the sake of being complicated. Even if someone could argue the benefits of all the gadgetry I want to know why there isn't an LCD display in the engine bay that tells me what the cars codes are or even what the problem is. Why should you have to have a $3000 tool to do that. The car computer already knows. See complicated to be complicated. We are not making our lives any easier. Take this for example my 65 vw bus probably has 500k miles and I still am driving it. When something breaks I go to the import parts guys by my part which usually cost half of what I expect an hour later my bus is rolling down the road again. So with new cars it breaks you tow it to a mechanic, the mechanic calls you and says such an such a part is bad it costs said huge amount then quotes you said obscene amount of hours. When you hear the amount you immediately cant breath, but what can you do you need your car. Its a scam, me and my bus are giving it to the man every day, after all freedom is independence and I think that is what I am doing.

So today I did a very fast bodywork job on the tank and cowl and hit them with some flat black paint. I will let my sister get her newbie niggles out on cheap paint. Then after summer she can figure out what color she wants and I will have my painter do it right. No grumbling people it goes stealth for now. I can make a statement with it later.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:40 PM
MotoGP

corn, I like the looks of the upper shock mount/linkage. it looks like you've shaved off a good 70+ pounds. Stock was around 500 pounds, if I recall. Any idea what it'll weigh when completed?
Old 05-03-2010, 08:46 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
And how does it ride?
Old 05-03-2010, 09:01 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
corn, I like the looks of the upper shock mount/linkage. it looks like you've shaved off a good 70+ pounds. Stock was around 500 pounds, if I recall. Any idea what it'll weigh when completed?
I would be very happy if it was more then 30 lbs. I figure I am at least there now. I know it doesn't seem like alot but there are not many more free ways to shave weight.

Originally Posted by lazn
And how does it ride?
Hopefully I will find out in a week or two. I am waiting for large jets, I need to get my batteries and wire them in. I also need to tidy some wiring in the front. Then a seat cover.
Old 05-04-2010, 02:28 PM
SuperBike

now with a little paint

Name:  IMG_0113.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  183.0 KB

Name:  IMG_0114.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  172.0 KB
Old 05-05-2010, 01:44 PM
SuperBike

Alright I finished my controls, check that off of the list woot!

Name:  IMG_0116.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  145.6 KB

Name:  IMG_0115.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  123.4 KB

Name:  IMG_0118.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  108.7 KB
Old 05-06-2010, 01:49 PM
SuperBike

Name:  IMG_0122.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  118.7 KB
Old 05-06-2010, 02:04 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
At first I thought it fell and was but then I saw the tire and realized you were teasing us.
Old 05-06-2010, 03:52 PM
SuperBike

yes teasing... but there was a good reason for it to be on its side that I am not happy about
Old 05-06-2010, 04:15 PM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
yes teasing... but there was a good reason for it to be on its side that I am not happy about
Oh no.... hopefully not too serious.

i like the flat black ! it'll be cool to see the two parked next to each other ( and obviously going down the road together )

tim
Old 05-06-2010, 04:27 PM
SuperBike

Angry

Long story, ever have something go wrong then in the process of trying to fix it it just gets worse. Yeah I was having one of those. I am replacing my exhaust studs since 3 of the 4 sheered on removal so I needed to remove the last stud that was still in the head, so I heated the head and had sprayed some lube in there, and I start removing the stud only to have it sheer right on the head. Ok no big deal I can use an easy out. So I drill it out put the easy out in it, and snap the easy out breaks buried deep in the head. You can't drill it because it is harder then the bit. So anyways I ended up having to grind the edge of the mount until I could get the old stud and easy out out of the head so I laid the bike on its side on a tire and thats that. Then I welded new material on the head, now I need to drill a new hole and tap it to be done. So like 3 steps back.

Oh and the radiator has a hole in it too

Quick Reply: My cafe build round II the CX