Members Rides Show off your SuperHawk!

My Cafe Build

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 11:09 AM
Back Marker

Malice is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Tweety
Oh don't you dare stop posting... I'll come over there personally and kick yer butt... Need my fix...

We wanna see all right...
+1

This thread rocks and I want to see more
________
Pregnant Bondage

Last edited by Malice; 05-01-2011 at 07:45 AM.
Old 09-13-2009, 09:28 PM
Cigar Officianado
Squid

Stogey is on a distinguished road
Smile

Thanks for posting all the great pics of the cafe build. I've really enjoyed watching your creativity in action and the progress that you've made thus far. When will I be able to ride it?
Old 09-13-2009, 09:59 PM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Stogey
Thanks for posting all the great pics of the cafe build. I've really enjoyed watching your creativity in action and the progress that you've made thus far. When will I be able to ride it?

ha, after me...
Old 09-14-2009, 07:04 AM
SuperBike

Project cowl and tailight

Here is a shot of the tail light cut out in the rear cowl. Still a little rough but with a little mud work and a plexiglass cover for the LED panel it should look awesome. I have decided to run a clear lens with the LED panel the same color as the 3in stripe I will be running down the tank and cowl. Now all I need to decide is what color the stripe should be silver or black. Remember as of right now I am planning on a base color of pearl white with semi-gloss black frame.

Name:  projectcafe-1.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  156.7 KB
Old 09-14-2009, 07:09 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

FL02SupaHawk996 is on a distinguished road
amazing!
Old 09-14-2009, 09:38 AM
SuperBike

So I want to introduce "Stogey" to all of you, he is my Dad, and recently a year and a half ago officially became a motorcyclist. So he is still new to all this, but graciously is funding my cafe build so all of you enjoying the thread have him to thank for partially being responsible for feeding my addiction and afflicting you all with massive photobucket pictorials and dribble.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:48 AM
Uhhhhh..huh.huh..Member..
Superstock

Springbubba is on a distinguished road
I wont be able to miss that taillight! Nice job man.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:31 PM
SuperBike

Started the frame to cowl transition.
Name:  projectcafe025-2.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  139.3 KB
Name:  projectcafe027-2.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  109.4 KB

I will box it all in and make it look finished.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:26 PM
Superstock

steve.g is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by cornandp
Here is a shot of the tail light cut out in the rear cowl. Still a little rough but with a little mud work and a plexiglass cover for the LED panel it should look awesome. I have decided to run a clear lens with the LED panel the same color as the 3in stripe I will be running down the tank and cowl. Now all I need to decide is what color the stripe should be silver or black. Remember as of right now I am planning on a base color of pearl white with semi-gloss black frame.

Have you considered making the stripe a "checkered flag" effect? Triumph did a similar thing on a Thruxton using black as a base color. Looked very cool. Just my 2 cents....
Old 09-14-2009, 11:55 PM
Back Marker

Malice is on a distinguished road
That taillight looks pretty nice.

Welcome Stogey and thanks for bankrolling this build? The cash is going to a very good cause
________
Morphine Rehab Forum

Last edited by Malice; 05-01-2011 at 07:45 AM.
Old 09-15-2009, 01:53 AM
Back Marker

Liquidogged is on a distinguished road
Coming together realllly nicely so far. I wish had someone to teach me ANY metalworking skills, let alone mastering anything. Keep up the good work!
Old 09-15-2009, 08:20 AM
SuperBike

Back to the kicker

So I ended up revisiting the kick start clearancing issues I was having. So the fix I ended up going with was a mix I moved the brake pedal pad in closer to the bike about a half in. I raked the brake pedal down more aggressively by making a stop for the pedal that only allows it to pop up to the height I wanted. I accomplished this by make a adjustable screw stop that you won't see unless you look for it. I then cut and welded a relief section into the kick start to allow it to be further out when in the start position. This however created a clearance issue with the engine cover. So I rotated the kicker on the shaft back a few teeth. Problem solved there except now the kicker is pushing into my shin when on the bike. So I clamped the kicker down to my work bench and slammed it 5 times with a 20lb sledge until it curved enough to just about touch the frame and viola no more shin hit and I can start the bike without folding anything up. The end. Here's some visual aids.
Name:  projectcafe028-1.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  80.5 KB
Name:  projectcafe029-1.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  59.7 KB
Name:  projectcafe031-1.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  80.5 KB
Name:  projectcafe030-1.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  79.1 KB
Name:  projectcafe032.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  142.6 KB
Old 09-15-2009, 12:07 PM
SuperBike

Blocking in the rear frame

It is what the title says just building in sheet metal to blend the transition between the frame and cowl. Sorry about the blurry pics, stupid old camera.
Name:  projectcafe034.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  94.4 KB
Name:  projectcafe035-1.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  111.7 KB
Old 09-15-2009, 07:44 PM
Superstock

Mike996 is on a distinguished road
Damn me!

Ya know, i saw some 70's model hondas on my local craigslist.... I passed them right up not knowing thier potential... After seeing your thread i went back to look them up (they were on there for cheap)

AND THEY ARE GONE!!! grrrrr

Great build, im definately going to be watching this!
Old 09-15-2009, 08:33 PM
Cigar Officianado
Squid

Nice going on the brake lever and kick start! I'm glad to see that you figured out a solution to the clearance issues. The cowl end of the bike is really coming together. I am really enjoying viewing each day's progress. Get a better camera.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:43 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Welcome Stogey. My Dad disapproved when I bought my first motorcycle at age 35, I'm 63 next month. Your son has more than just a little talent.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:23 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
Welcome Stogey. My Dad disapproved when I bought my first motorcycle at age 35, I'm 63 next month. Your son has more than just a little talent.
Well my dad wasn't so happy when I brought my first bike home at 19, but he helped me unload it off my truck with a scowl. Then I let him sit on it and a minute or two later he was smiling. My mom was a different story, I told her I was looking at motorcycles and when I came home with one she was like "I thought you where just looking!" You know how moms are... anyways many many miles ago. But for some of you not too many years since that was six years ago. My passion for motorcycles has infected my dad, and a few friends now. It's not a good idea to hang around me if you don't ever want to ride .

Last edited by Little_Horse; 09-16-2009 at 11:23 AM.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:26 AM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
i heard Stogey rides fast ...

welcome to the forum
tim
Old 09-16-2009, 10:42 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by trinc

welcome to the forum
tim
LOL, you should have seen him as soon as Springbubba and I told him to keep his eyes level with the road in turns. The next turn he over cut it too much and then let the hammer drop . Very funny from a ten minute conversation to immediate result. I have a vid I should post it up.

Alright it is on

youtube, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qc_8X_t3f3Q

it should work soon.

Last edited by Little_Horse; 09-16-2009 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Added link
Old 09-18-2009, 08:11 AM
SuperBike

Tank sealer?

Just thinking ahead a little, what should I do about tank sealer. The new cutouts are still raw steel inside and I was wanting to coat and seal up any small holes along with the inside raw material.

Any recommendations for a product to use?

Thanks guys, more pictures up soon I hope, been busy lately but might have a few minutes today to fiddle.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:11 AM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
Just thinking ahead a little, what should I do about tank sealer. The new cutouts are still raw steel inside and I was wanting to coat and seal up any small holes along with the inside raw material.

Any recommendations for a product to use?

Thanks guys, more pictures up soon I hope, been busy lately but might have a few minutes today to fiddle.
POR-15 or Kreem. POR-15 is reported as a better product. of course you could just keep the tank full of gas & not worry about a sealer breaking down.

tim
Old 09-18-2009, 10:13 AM
SuperBike

Thanks Tim, although I am hoping if there is any pin holes in my welds it will seal those as well, so it was a kill two birds with one stone kinda thought process. You think I should still just bypass this step?
Old 09-18-2009, 11:48 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Well my dad wasn't so happy when I brought my first bike home at 19, but he helped me unload it off my truck with a scowl. Then I let him sit on it and a minute or two later he was smiling. My mom was a different story, I told her I was looking at motorcycles and when I came home with one she was like "I thought you where just looking!" You know how moms are... anyways many many miles ago. But for some of you not too many years since that was six years ago. My passion for motorcycles has infected my dad, and a few friends now. It's not a good idea to hang around me if you don't ever want to ride .
When I brought my first bike home my mother quite literally didn't speak to me for 2 weeks... All conversation went through my brother or father even if I was right next to her... Now she's accepted it... And I have even talked her in to going for a ride 2 up with me...

I have since kind of infected my dad with the bug too... Or I should probably say re-infected... He sold his last bike to pay for a station wagon about when I was born...
Old 09-18-2009, 12:09 PM
New Hawk Rider
Superstock

eersfanpilot is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Mike996
Damn me!

Ya know, i saw some 70's model hondas on my local craigslist.... I passed them right up not knowing thier potential... After seeing your thread i went back to look them up (they were on there for cheap)

AND THEY ARE GONE!!! grrrrr

Great build, im definately going to be watching this!
I just sold off my 1975 Honda CB360T Cafe bike for $1000. You can pick up different size 70's model bikes a dime a dozen down around Atlanta and some areas in FL. If you are up for traveling grab a truck and trailer and go find a barn gem.
Old 09-18-2009, 03:09 PM
SuperBike

More on the tank

So I started my clip on cut outs, I have one side done and is now waiting for finish work, bondo sand and paint. I still need to do the other side then I will have it ready for paint soon.

Here I have cut out the tank and now I need to hammer out a replacement negative.
Name:  projectcafe038.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  112.0 KB
This is with it done.
Name:  projectcafe041.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  117.8 KB
Name:  projectcafe040.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  147.6 KB
Old 09-19-2009, 07:40 PM
Cigar Officianado
Squid

Red face

Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
It sure appears that way. He was always the most creative of my three kids, played with legos constantly and just about everything he owned was torn apart, rebuilt, and improved. One time his Mazda pickup caught on fire and melted most of the electrical. I thought it was a total loss. But no, he searched in the local wrecking yards, found a suitable wire harness, and plugged away at it until he got it running again. At that point I knew he had an extraordinary talent. He's definitely the kind of guy you want around when something breaks down.
Old 09-19-2009, 07:50 PM
Cigar Officianado
Squid

Angry

Originally Posted by trinc

welcome to the forum
tim
Probably too fast for a newbie, but I'm trying to keep up with a son that rides a Hawk and doesn't have a visible chicken strip on his rear tire. I knew I should have said no when he offered me the opportunity to ride his Hawk. That cost me $160. I was only on his bike for 3 minutes when I got pulled over and hadn't even got out of 3rd gear yet. I didn't know you can go a 100 mph in second. I guess I received my diploma for a price.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:48 PM
SuperBike

Tank done!

So the metal fab is done on the tank, I finished the other clip on cut out. My LED blinkers came in so I mounted the front ones to see if they look right with the bike. I think they do. I have been pretty busy the last few days, that's why there hasn't been as many pics. I should have some more later. Enjoy.
Name:  projectcafe046.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  99.8 KB
Name:  projectcafe045.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  143.8 KB
Old 09-23-2009, 09:36 AM
SuperBike

Just been plugging away at the bike lately, I mounted the cowl by adding a few brackets to the frame. No need for a pic, it looks the same. Also fitted the seat pan. I need to mount that up then I can begin adding the foam. Remarkably the seat pan is already comfortable. I tried to contour it much like the beginnings of a bicycle seat. I think that too many motorcycle seats are shaped like what people think a seat in a car should be like. Take for instance your typical harley seat. This is a problem because the reason a car seat is usually comfortable is it distributes the weight from your butt all the way to the underside of your knees. This is not the way a typical motorcycle seat can operate, its only your butt. That is why you can start to hurt. Too much weight for the surface area. If you have ever ridden a road bicycle with a decent seat you discover two things one soft is bad firm is good, and two bigger is not better. So with these things in mind I began shaping the seat so it cradles you much like a road bike seat distributing the weight along a good portion of your inner thigh. I will be using a few layers of carpet pad in the hope that it is firm enough. Time will tell.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:48 PM
Cigar Officianado
Squid

Just been plugging away at the bike lately, I mounted the cowl by adding a few brackets to the frame. No need for a pic, it looks the same. Also fitted the seat pan. I need to mount that up then I can begin adding the foam. Remarkably the seat pan is already comfortable. I tried to contour it much like the beginnings of a bicycle seat. I think that too many motorcycle seats are shaped like what people think a seat in a car should be like. Take for instance your typical harley seat. This is a problem because the reason a car seat is usually comfortable is it distributes the weight from your butt all the way to the underside of your knees. This is not the way a typical motorcycle seat can operate, its only your butt. That is why you can start to hurt. Too much weight for the surface area. If you have ever ridden a road bicycle with a decent seat you discover two things one soft is bad firm is good, and two bigger is not better. So with these things in mind I began shaping the seat so it cradles you much like a road bike seat distributing the weight along a good portion of your inner thigh. I will be using a few layers of carpet pad in the hope that it is firm enough. Time will tell.
I knew all those miles that we rode together on bicycles would eventually be of some benefit. I approve of your idea for the achieving optimal comfort on the bike. Bigger doesn't spell better and firmer makes more sense to me too.

Quick Reply: My Cafe Build