Group Rides Get together with fellow riders...

Deal's Gap May 5/6

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 08:36 PM
Superstock

Brian A is an unknown quantity at this point
Deal's Gap May 5/6

I'm planning to be there this coming weekend.
If any other of you guys show up, give me a wave and we'll chat and ride.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:06 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
FYI, there is a good size VFR meet going on too. Wave at all the other red bikes you see!
Old 05-03-2007, 05:49 AM
Superstock

Sgt Rock is an unknown quantity at this point
the mini coopers and another car group are suppose to be here this weekend
Old 05-06-2007, 08:29 PM
Superstock

Well, it rained all day Saturday. I never even took the bike off the trailer. I was driving through after lunch just to have something to do, and there was this 13 year old girl screamin "MY DAD, MY DAD!" standing next to a Mini Copper that was on it side/roof. It had just happened. i was the only person there and he was still inside the car. I helped out there for about an hour. Both wound up going to the hospital but I think they were pretty much OK.

Today (Sunday) was really nice, until......
A father/son (son on Gixxer and dad on a Hyabusa) crashed big-time right in front of me. So, I stopped and helped again. It was an ugly crash. The dad was behind the son and (IMHO) crashed because he paniced when he saw his son crashing, and locked the rear wheel. But that's a story for another day....

The son wound up lying under the guardrail. Yes, he was LUCKY! He slid dead center between two support posts.
He sliced his leg open on the front and I got to see his bone and tendons and such. Not that that was something I had wanted to do....
Dad's bike stopped off the edge of the road but dad tumbled a LONG way down the bank. And I do mean a long way; 100 feet or so.
He was pretty banged up. I stayed "up top" but 2 or 3 went down to tend to him. I hear he had a pretty bad broken collar bone/shoulder and maybe some busted ribs, and more?

They both went on an ambulance ride.

The son, I'd guess he was 20 or so, had on a leather jacket and gloves, but only jeans and sneakers. Had he been wearing good gear, he likely would have had only a scratched knuckle.

Bad thing, they were down from Pennsylvania and I'm sure crashing screwed up their plans, and probably has some family/friends real worried long about now.

For those who know the road, they crashed right at the start of the guardrail, going south, just as you approach picnic table turn. The left turn right where the guardrail starts.

Anyways, I love the road, but sure hate to see folks ride faster than they should (not knowing the road backwards and forwards) then crash and screw everything up.

I have seen waayyy too many guys crash there. And some were really, really ugly.

Anyways, that was my weekend.

See you at The Gap?
Old 05-06-2007, 08:41 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
I think you said it all, in regards to not overriding your abilities or the road that you are on...Especially one you don't know...

When I get up there next month I am sure I will be the extra slow guy everyone is cursing to get out of there way...But I'd rather be safe than sorry, not too mention spoil a 7 day trip the first day or two...

And those goes for any road, not just the Dragon...

Live to ride another day!!
Old 05-07-2007, 06:55 AM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Sobering stuff. Roads like this suck me in. I feel sooo slow... "oh well, I'm riding my pace, regardless (I hope)."

Those are lessons better learned second-hand. Hope I'm wise enough to profit from them.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:53 AM
Superstock

sounds like a usual weekend here lately.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:16 AM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Sgt Rock
sounds like a usual weekend here lately.
Too bad about the weekend ruining accidents. Good reason to stay away from the Gap on weekends.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:59 PM
Superstock

In case you wanted more info:
http://www.tailofthedragon.com/

Sgt. Rock is right...seems all too common. And that's not good for anybody :/
Old 05-07-2007, 08:30 PM
Squid

SD996 is on a distinguished road
Just checked out the website...that place looks sweet! I saw the episode of super bikes where they went to the gap. seems like the kind of place you would want to go during the week. One day I'll make it out there...till then I have the S Cal canyons
Old 05-12-2007, 04:54 PM
Superstock

I took my boys up to deals gap today and traffic was very very light for a saturday. When I got to the store I was talking to one of guys I know who works there and he told me that yesterday LifeStar made 5 visits to Deals Gap, that's way too many in one day.