General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

what's the deal??

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 10:43 AM
Squid

hoghead5150 is on a distinguished road
what's the deal??

i'm looking at buying a superhawk. i've been around motorcycles for 20 years. i've owned all brands of carb'd bikes. i've noticed a trend that the superhawks seem to have carb problems. since i've never owned one, but have seen several threads here about gummed carbs, i was wanting to know what the deal is!! i have never personally had carbs on any of my bikes gum up. i've never had to clean a set, or even sync a set of carbs. i've owned kawa, suzuki (several of those), and 2 yamaha's. all carb'd, and no problems out of them. i really like the look of the shawk but am a little worried about these problems. i live in oklahoma, and have never winterized a bike. i ride year around. if it snows, i just pull the bike out every 2 days and start it, warm it up, and run it thru the rev range for about 15-20 minutes. maybe this is the reason no carb problems. my 99 r1 now has 25000 miles on it with no problems. please ease my mind!!!
Old 04-07-2007, 10:52 AM
Superstock

Birdoprey is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by hoghead5150
i live in oklahoma, and have never winterized a bike. i ride year around. if it snows, i just pull the bike out every 2 days and start it, warm it up, and run it thru the rev range for about 15-20 minutes. maybe this is the reason no carb problems.
So right.
Gas turns to gum and varnish when allowed to sit. The problem has gotten worse over the last 20 years or so as gasolines have been reformulated.
Old 04-07-2007, 11:01 AM
Squid

Jonny is on a distinguished road
If you run them that regularly then you'll have no problems. Park them for 4-6 months/year with out fuel stablizer or running them regularly then you increase the possiblity for issues. Don't be scared, you'll be fine....
Old 04-07-2007, 11:15 AM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
I've owned mine for 7years now with no carb problems.
Old 04-07-2007, 11:21 AM
SuperBike

drew_c14 is on a distinguished road
I've let mine sit a lot. Longest without being started was 13 months. No problems.
Old 04-07-2007, 11:22 AM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
I think the carb problems you may be referring to are the result of tuning changes when owners modify jetting, airbox components, etc. My understanding is that the Superhawk is a difficult bike to tune but once you're there - all you have to do is hang on!
Old 04-07-2007, 11:29 AM
Squid

hoghead5150 is on a distinguished road
feeling better about this already. now all i need is to heal up enough to go get a shawk!!
Old 04-07-2007, 05:09 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
What you see is the few carb tuning issues some are having this spring. What you don't see is all the VTR owners that DON'T have problems at all. It's like any vehicle forum. The "problems" seem to get more attention but in reality are a fairly small percentage of all vehicles of the same make/model.
Old 04-07-2007, 06:17 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
As far as running goes it's been known to be one of the sweeter running stock carbed bikes. Alot smoother than the fuel injected TL was when they came out. Like any other vehicle just don't let it sit for months w/o running it or storing it properly. As far as tuning goes I've had two of these bikes and have tried almost every different exhaust made and no matter they always ran perfect...w/o any jetting changes. As I've said before I'm waiting on a shop by me who is getting a dyno and I'm going to jet mine. Hoping it's for the better...I think the only trend is either bikes that have been seriously neglected or people who aren't experienced enough trying to rejet and they end up making them run worse.