General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

What did you do with your SuperHawk today?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 05:48 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Fastguy59
Thermostat housing is done!
You denippleized that. That's now a word. Looks fimiliar for some reason
Old 08-30-2016, 09:15 AM
Superstock

RedStormJ is on a distinguished road
Overtightened my throttle cable.
Dropped 100ml of fuel into the throat of my carb by mistake. (FK FK FKK! Clean rag!)
Put it back together ( Never found my penny... Or the washer I dropped from the fuel tank.)
Chuged it out of gas on my maiden test and ran half a click to get my tool kit...(DOH!)
Turned the petcock back on.
Tried to hold on as the front end bounced like a basketball up the steep hill we call a straight road.
The biggest mod was getting that super bird turd off my windscreen.
Old 08-30-2016, 11:55 AM
SuperSport

NZSpokes is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Big_Jim59
I am so sorry for your loss. I am in the same boat. My mom and dad are alive but on a slow glide path down. My wife and I have moved them from a retirement community, to assisted living and now we have moved them both to skilled nursing care. Each time we have moved them we have both downsized them and thrown out a mountain of trash. It really does take most of the available time. Over 60 years of marriage is stuffed in a storage unit.

It also changes your perspective. You can't take it with you. I also know that having stuff doesn't make you rich. If you no longer use the Superhawk, sell it to someone that will love it as much as you. You will still have the memories. I have been selling bikes, not because I don't love them but because I haven't been riding them. I sold my Norton. I thought I would never do that but in truth I was just not riding it, preferring to ride the VTR. Due to what has been happening in my life, I don't want to collect stuff for other people to have to deal with.
Thank you. Yes its a tough time.

Today Dads house goes up for auction. Hope it sells as its causing some family problems.

Have decided to keep the VTR and use it as a track bike. I could spend a whole lot of money and get a 600 supersport but I wont go any faster.
Old 09-03-2016, 09:37 AM
Superstock

Fastguy59 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RedStormJ
Dropped a penny looking for the gas cap and been trying to find it all day.
Nah man took some other riders on here's advice and am tearing the carbs down. I also pulled that plate outta the intake carbon means a low velocity spot and carbon I saw. Port n polish is on the list for sure now. Btw fastguy why are you doing a deep clean n restore? I may be mistaken but you the guy has had his since 97?
Not me. I bought the bike about two years ago with 22K on it. The PO had ridden it through about 5 miles of road sealer, it was covering everything... I didn't want to ride it until the MCCT's and Rectifier mods were done so I parked it for a year due to work commitments. then started working on it a while back. Almost done!
Old 09-03-2016, 09:38 AM
Superstock

Originally Posted by CruxGNZ
You denippleized that. That's now a word. Looks fimiliar for some reason
I cannot tell a lie, I totally ripped you off! Hahahahahahahahahah!
Old 09-03-2016, 09:40 AM
Superstock

Finally some time off from audio to work on the VTR1000F! Installed a Factory Pro advancer, while I was changing out the clutch side engine cover. and water pump housing for my freshly powder coated units.
Attached Thumbnails What did you do with your SuperHawk today?-14233005_1345422365491814_2569665659713503760_n.jpg   What did you do with your SuperHawk today?-14183836_1345421038825280_1818186076622022035_n.jpg  
Old 09-03-2016, 08:24 PM
Superstock

Deep cleaning.

Tore the faring off, polished a scraped mirror and deep cleaning the nasties.

Bike looks great fast guy.

Po took good care of mine but it still needs to come apadt this winter.

documenting the speed limiter delete. ill post in the thread in kb.
Old 09-03-2016, 08:50 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Finally some time off from audio to work on the VTR1000F! Installed a Factory Pro advancer, while I was changing out the clutch side engine cover. and water pump housing for my freshly powder coated units.
Bobby, you can remove the sub gear if you like. You honestly do not need it. I made a thread here for a little more informationon about it. I think a few others have as well. You'll remove a little amount of reciprocating mass by deleting it.

EDIT: Here is the thread
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...le-gear-32576/

Last edited by CruxGNZ; 09-03-2016 at 08:57 PM.
Old 09-04-2016, 02:05 AM
SuperSport

jerryh is on a distinguished road
Enjoyed the sweet handling of a 190/50 Road 2 (again)

Mounted it on stock rim just over a week ago and loved it first ride. Rear higher, steeper profile gives the flabby old bike quicker handling and additional margin at the edge. This size Road 2 works well on a 5.5.

Side note my favorite tire shredding road, the Cherohala Skyway is being blacktopped NC side, not a lot of grip versus the old exposed aggregate and even slicker when damp and oils rise to the top, so watch for that. At least the rubber will last longer
Old 09-04-2016, 06:00 AM
Superstock

Bobby, you can remove the sub gear if you like. You honestly do not need it. I made a thread here for a little more informationon about it. I think a few others have as well. You'll remove a little amount of reciprocating mass by deleting it.

EDIT: Here is the thread
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...le-gear-32576/
Crux,
Too late that ship has sailed! Engine cover back on, water pump housing back on, engine full of oil. I'm working on installing the APE Pro MCCT's and setting the valve clearances so I can finish buttoning up the engine...
Thanks for the info and the thread, maybe next clutch service!
Old 09-04-2016, 02:14 PM
Superstock

Got both the MCCT's installed and adjusted, valve clearances set, cam covers are on! Yahooo!
Attached Thumbnails What did you do with your SuperHawk today?-img_8818.jpg   What did you do with your SuperHawk today?-img_8819.jpg   What did you do with your SuperHawk today?-img_8821.jpg  

Last edited by Fastguy59; 09-04-2016 at 02:22 PM.
Old 09-06-2016, 09:43 PM
Back Marker

Aquasnake is on a distinguished road
Installed a new D.I.D. 530VX chain, 17T Superlite front sprocket & Supersprox 43T rear sprocket.
May, eventually, try a Superlite 44T rear.

Last edited by Aquasnake; 09-06-2016 at 09:47 PM.
Old 09-07-2016, 08:10 AM
Superstock

I snell engine falure.

C'mon fast guy get that thing in the bike and post up a video of it running.
I got some valve noise during my trip to work today. Its under warranty so I said screw it. gonna ride to the shop tomorrow and tear off the valve cover.
Old 09-07-2016, 11:18 AM
Superstock

Red Storm,

It used to run, now that i have worked on it... Well its anybody's guess..
Old 09-08-2016, 01:50 AM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
Fast guy , Based on what I have read and seen from you on here I doubt if your bike will have any problems running.

Keep going, you are almost there.
Old 09-08-2016, 02:54 AM
Superstock

Youll be just fine. Ive slapped an engine together in six hours after finding a blown gasket. Still runs. What I mean is with all that attention to detail she will sing her v twin song just the way you like it.
just dont do what I did more than once and forget fuel or miss a ground. That will have you stark raving mad.
As for today on my bike nothing its pouring and the jobs got me tied up.....
Old 09-10-2016, 10:29 AM
Superstock

Rads back on thermostats housing too as well as all hoses except one... I eliminated the carb hot water preheat/anti-icing loop and forgot I need a longer piece of hose to do it... DOH!
Attached Thumbnails What did you do with your SuperHawk today?-image.jpeg  
Old 09-10-2016, 08:00 PM
Superstock

Lookin good fast guy! get it out vefore the weather gets too cold.

On my side of the globe I talked to a shop with a rental vtr. They said my bike is tip top except needing tires as mine are old. They wanted to know the destricted speed and I hadnt tested it yet. After the cleaner remnants baked off I last saw the speedo hitting well over 200kph. checked for an rpm limiter as well. 10.5 as normal. Bike is much more fun now that its dialed in. I found my problem as well.... carbs. the elevation and weather change are what makes the bike run bad. I k lnow because today was cool and dry. She was an animal again.... So sp2 engine or injected hawk engine...... My wallet will let yall know.
Old 09-18-2016, 10:06 AM
Superstock

No more fighting black spaghetti during jetting or valve adjustments! I got all my quick disconnects affixed both fuel lines, tank vent, tank drain and vacuum for the petcock!
Attached Thumbnails What did you do with your SuperHawk today?-image.jpeg  
Old 09-18-2016, 05:41 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Now THAT will make things easier. Nice work!
Old 09-20-2016, 12:37 AM
Squid

PacificaJoe is on a distinguished road
rode it for the first time!
technically it was 2 days ago, but I don't care.
Old 09-20-2016, 05:57 PM
Superstock

Now THAT will make things easier. Nice work!
Thnx Crux! How is the project coming along? Sniffer?
Old 09-20-2016, 06:03 PM
Superstock

Lookin good fast guy! get it out vefore the weather gets too cold.

On my side of the globe I talked to a shop with a rental vtr. They said my bike is tip top except needing tires as mine are old. They wanted to know the destricted speed and I hadnt tested it yet. After the cleaner remnants baked off I last saw the speedo hitting well over 200kph. checked for an rpm limiter as well. 10.5 as normal. Bike is much more fun now that its dialed in. I found my problem as well.... carbs. the elevation and weather change are what makes the bike run bad. I k lnow because today was cool and dry. She was an animal again.... So sp2 engine or injected hawk engine...... My wallet will let yall know.
So jetting on a road bike is more forgiving than that... This lead ms me to believe that you bike in cool and dry (dense air) is on the border line of ok. Get some dyno time and get it jetted properly, SP2, injection not needed, just proper jetting... Dyno time
Old 09-20-2016, 07:57 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Thnx Crux! How is the project coming along? Sniffer?
It sucks to come have after a very long day of work and your bike is still sitting where you left it. Even if I finished it, I don't have time to ride it at the moment. I have a couple small items to finish on the bike and then I can ride it!

My sniffer has been doing great, thanks for asking. Being able to sleep on my left AND right side is absolutely wonderful. However, my right nostril, as of late, is making a whistling noise when I take a deep breath. Now, when I breath in quick, my wife's cats come running up to me, inches from my face and stare at me for an uncomfortable period of time. Kind of creepy really. Seeing my doctor soon to see if this noise is something permanent or some dried up snot making for some fantastic cat whistle.

What's that guys name that played a whistle and the mice followed him?

Last edited by CruxGNZ; 09-20-2016 at 07:59 PM.
Old 09-20-2016, 08:34 PM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

VTR1000F is on a distinguished road
I think it was Mat. And it was cats, not mice.
Old 09-20-2016, 08:40 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Haha!
Old 09-23-2016, 07:45 PM
Squid

Rocket Rider is on a distinguished road
I rode from KC, MO to Arkansas to attend the Bikers and BBQ weekend. 400 thousand people expected this year.
Old 09-24-2016, 06:35 PM
Superstock

Crux
I feel your pain about long days and no bike time.... I made a promise to myself about a month ago to just do one thing on it no matter how tiny the task. I'll chip away at this thing ten minutes at a time if that's the way it goes. Glad your sniffer is doing ok, get the whistle checked out! Until enjoy you Dr Doolittle control of the felines!
Old 09-25-2016, 08:26 AM
Superstock

Actually the temperature and humidity can change in a minuite of road time. I will get dyno time but after some real work.
I got a package from china now my speedo, tach, highbeam indicator and front driving light all got treatment. LED!
finally drove it after a week of heavy rain. Ran out of fuel again. I keep forgetting to check my trips... I see a gas guage in my future. Light is out...
Waiting on carbonfiber should be here soon.
Old 09-25-2016, 08:51 AM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
Actually the temperature and humidity can change in a minuite of road time. I will get dyno time but after some real work.
I got a package from china now my speedo, tach, highbeam indicator and front driving light all got treatment. LED!
finally drove it after a week of heavy rain. Ran out of fuel again. I keep forgetting to check my trips... I see a gas guage in my future. Light is out...
Waiting on carbonfiber should be here soon.
Easier to just replace the sending unit in the tank. Just a thought.

Last edited by xeris; 09-25-2016 at 08:54 AM.

Quick Reply: What did you do with your SuperHawk today?