General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

What did you do with your SuperHawk today?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 09:00 PM
Squid

Braymond is on a distinguished road
Well, I just spent the last 3 hours putting in a new Barnett clutch I really didn't need.

My clutch has been slipping a lot on hard acceleration. It's only got about 16k on it so I was concerned the PO had really abused it. I ordered a new clutch last week and it came on Monday. I set about changing it tonight hoping to get in a track day this weekend.

I opened the right side case and removed the disks and plates. They looked brand new to me and everything looked super clean (I had also just changed the oil a few weeks ago) inside like a new engine. I decided to change out the disks and plates anyway with the new one. Luckily, just before I put everything back together, I checked the manual and pulled the jutter spring. It was installed backwards. I'm guessing that was the problem, but I can't imagine why the PO had been in there at all.

I put everything back together with the new parts including new springs too. I still need it refill the coolant and test drive tomorrow, but I'll probably offer up these used parts here on the forum for free plus shipping.
Old 06-15-2016, 09:18 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
I had my bike for a year or so before replacing the clutch. When I removed the parts to replace everything, mine was missing the judder spring. On my bike, the clutch engaged and drove just fine even under full throttle.

I did put a judder spring in there with the new clutch and didn't notice any difference between having a judder spring or not.

Your bike may differ.
Old 06-16-2016, 09:09 AM
Superstock

Fastguy59 is on a distinguished road
Just got done installing my new Oznium led side light bolts. Using them for license plate lights. I installed them above and slightly outboard of the spot the rear reflector used to inhabit. Plenty bright, delivery was super quick with company CS direct emails for delivery tracking, cool peeps to deal with.
Attached Thumbnails What did you do with your SuperHawk today?-image.jpeg  

Last edited by Fastguy59; 06-27-2016 at 07:05 AM.
Old 06-18-2016, 08:10 AM
Superstock

Happy dance day! Mailman just delivered my Apex adjustable clip-ons. Very nice craftsmanship!
Old 06-18-2016, 11:16 AM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Those look pretty nice! I got a quick question for you. I installed DanMoto adjustable clipons and am just now installing the switches, brake/clutch master, and throttle. The stock parts have a little nub that locates and keeps the parts from moving. What did you do with that little nub? Just grind it off? Or, are you drilling a hole in the handle?

I was curious if you grind that nub off, if the parts had enough clamping force to keep them from moving.
Old 06-20-2016, 10:48 AM
Superstock

Originally Posted by CruxGNZ
Those look pretty nice! I got a quick question for you. I installed DanMoto adjustable clipons and am just now installing the switches, brake/clutch master, and throttle. The stock parts have a little nub that locates and keeps the parts from moving. What did you do with that little nub? Just grind it off? Or, are you drilling a hole in the handle?

I was curious if you grind that nub off, if the parts had enough clamping force to keep them from moving.
Plenty of clamping force is available without the nub. The nub is there for Honda's lawyers! My general procedure when fitting bars is to always wipe down the inside of the bar clamp and the fork tube with alcohol (no not Bourbon!) to make sure the mating surfaces are clean and offer maximum grip. Other than that torque to spec and you are ready to rock!
Old 06-20-2016, 10:50 AM
Superstock

After being chained to the gas grille for Fathers Day I had some down time this morning which I used to get my front brake calipers ready to rock!

Last edited by Fastguy59; 06-20-2016 at 10:54 AM.
Old 06-20-2016, 08:10 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

That's what I thought. Thanks Bobby!
Old 06-23-2016, 01:04 PM
Superstock

My latest evil plan

Boy oh boy pulling the fuel tank off the SH is a pain in the butt! Getting all the lines off the tank is a job for tiny fingered elves. So no more will I have to deal with that!
I bought two 3/8" dry break, double shutoff quick disconnect fittings for the fuel line, and a 1/4" and 5/16" non-shutoff for the fuel tank vent and drain line. I am putting a double needed house barb fitting in the petcock vacuum line. So removal will now be: 1. Remove front hold down capsrews. 2. Tilt up tank. 3. Clic, clic, clic, clic, pop. Tank off! More pix when done!
Old 06-23-2016, 02:25 PM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

VTR1000F is on a distinguished road
I assume all us forum members get the friend pricing on your easy-off tank kits?

And free shipping, of course.
Old 06-24-2016, 06:51 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Fastguy, I have those same disconnects, while you are in there save yourself a world of toil and effort by putting some inline fuel filters in the lines.

Cant imagine how much this protects the carbs from bad stuff coming from your tank that isnt getting any younger.
Old 06-24-2016, 01:42 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by VTR1000F
I assume all us forum members get the friend pricing on your easy-off tank kits?

And free shipping, of course.
As the French say, "But of course, mon ami!
Old 06-24-2016, 01:44 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
Fastguy, I have those same disconnects, while you are in there save yourself a world of toil and effort by putting some inline fuel filters in the lines.

Cant imagine how much this protects the carbs from bad stuff coming from your tank that isnt getting any younger.
That's why I hang around with you guys... Good ideas abound!
Old 06-25-2016, 10:08 AM
Superstock

CaryDG is on a distinguished road
It's been a lot of "Todays" but my '98 Canadian SuperHawk (FireStorm) is slowly becoming the bike Honda could've built. Thanks to this forum!
So far I've added; Yosh. slip-ons, Dr. Honda Stacks, Re-jetted (Hawk 8541 guidelines), Calibrated TPS, manual CCt's, Erics Max lightened flywheel, 520 chain and sprockets (16/43), Corbin Seat, Double Bubble shield, F & R Galfer rotors w/HH pads, S.S. brake and clutch lines, DMr fork valving & upgraded springs, Tapered stem bearings, Carbon fiber "bling" bits, All LED lighting, Proton signals, Mosfet R/R, Lithium battery and a few other tweaks. I'm still waiting for my rear shock (Jamie's out of the country).
Most Bang for the Buck; 1. Lightened flywheel, 2. DMr suspension, 3. Brake upgrade, 4. Jetting and calibrating.
Things I've learned: My 61 year old knees can't do rearsets! (Anyone need some DanMotos?) Yellow is faster, but, the CHP says it's more visible than "Arrest Me Red" and it's jeopardizing my license! It's going Carbon Fiber Matte next week. While that's happening I'm retrofitting a HID projector in my Headlight and installing bungs in my head pipes to allow for EGA readings for each cylinder while on the dyno.
Thanks to this forum for keeping me a happily broke old guy.
Old 06-25-2016, 10:20 AM
Superstock

P.S. Also added FP +4 trigger and shift kit.
Old 06-25-2016, 10:20 AM
Superstock

Originally Posted by CaryDG
It's been a lot of "Todays" but my '98 Canadian SuperHawk (FireStorm) is slowly becoming the bike Honda could've built. Thanks to this forum!
So far I've added; Yosh. slip-ons, Dr. Honda Stacks, Re-jetted (Hawk 8541 guidelines), Calibrated TPS, manual CCt's, Erics Max lightened flywheel, 520 chain and sprockets (16/43), Corbin Seat, Double Bubble shield, F & R Galfer rotors w/HH pads, S.S. brake and clutch lines, DMr fork valving & upgraded springs, Tapered stem bearings, Carbon fiber "bling" bits, All LED lighting, Proton signals, Mosfet R/R, Lithium battery and a few other tweaks. I'm still waiting for my rear shock (Jamie's out of the country).
Most Bang for the Buck; 1. Lightened flywheel, 2. DMr suspension, 3. Brake upgrade, 4. Jetting and calibrating.
Things I've learned: My 61 year old knees can't do rearsets! (Anyone need some DanMotos?) Yellow is faster, but, the CHP says it's more visible than "Arrest Me Red" and it's jeopardizing my license! It's going Carbon Fiber Matte next week. While that's happening I'm retrofitting a HID projector in my Headlight and installing bungs in my head pipes to allow for EGA readings for each cylinder while on the dyno.
Thanks to this forum for keeping me a happily broke old guy.
Wow, you have been hard at it! Post some pix when it's all buttoned and shined up!
Old 06-25-2016, 10:26 AM
Superstock

I'll do pre and post "Yellow" shots. I haven't had this much fun working on a bike since my NT650 Hawk. Between Two Brothers Racing and Kiyo Wantenabe It had everything that could be reasonably done. Never, I repeat, NEVER look at your receipts!
Old 06-25-2016, 11:54 AM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Originally Posted by CaryDG
Never, I repeat, NEVER look at your receipts!
And have a second bank account that your wife doesn't know about!
Old 06-25-2016, 12:10 PM
Superstock

With no work table and no kneeling on my freshly tweaked knee, I decided to modify my spare countershaft sprocket cover... After stripping all the factory paint, I used a laser to locate the center of the countershaft and then placed the cover back on and then center punched the laser dot. One 2.5" hole saw later and a cutoff tool with a thin wheel on it I'm left with this. Reasonably happy, although I wish I had carried the chain guard bottom edge forward to meet the upward incline of the cutout... Live and learn. Next off to the powdercoater with all the engine covers!

Last edited by Fastguy59; 06-25-2016 at 02:08 PM.
Old 06-25-2016, 02:22 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Fastguy59
With no work table and no kneeling on my freshly tweaked knee, I decided to modify my spare countershaft sprocket cover... After stripping all the factory paint, I used a laser to locate the center of the countershaft and then placed the cover back on and then center punched the laser dot. One 2.5" hole saw later and a cutoff tool with a thin wheel on it I'm left with this. Reasonably happy, although I wish I had carried the chain guard bottom edge forward to meet the upward incline of the cutout... Live and learn. Next off to the powdercoater with all the engine covers!
I've done the same thing, but took a little more off than you. There is a thread on here with pictures of a couple others that have done this. I think it was called Nicky Mod or something.

EDIT: Here's the thread:
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...cky-mod-32186/

Name:  20160625_161111.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  335.1 KB

Dangit, on the picture I just posted, I noticed rust on my frame bolt. Looks like that's coming back out to get cleaned up.

Last edited by CruxGNZ; 06-25-2016 at 02:25 PM.
Old 06-25-2016, 03:53 PM
Superstock

Second wife is gone. SuperHawk has a kill switch.
Old 06-25-2016, 04:00 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
I rode my SuperHawk to work today. First I've been on it since I got the Multi about 1.5-2 months ago. Really didn't realize how far leaned over I actually was on this bike. It made me want to drive fast for the aero push on my chest (sounded good anyway). I expected to be dissapointed after being on plush Ohlins front and rear but I ended up pleasantly surprised.

I'll never get rid of the old girl. Love her too much...
Old 06-26-2016, 10:01 AM
Superstock

Originally Posted by CruxGNZ
I've done the same thing, but took a little more off than you. There is a thread on here with pictures of a couple others that have done this. I think it was called Nicky Mod or something.

EDIT: Here's the thread:
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...cky-mod-32186/

Dangit, on the picture I just posted, I noticed rust on my frame bolt. Looks like that's coming back out to get cleaned up.
Crux I left a bit more on the cover on purpose. I hate it when the toes of my boots get chain qack all over them!
As far as your rusty bolt is concerned get some long handled foam detailing swabs and apply black or silver paint to the inside of the bolt as needed... Shhhh trade secret....
Old 06-26-2016, 10:09 AM
Superstock

Built a couple of plastic plates today to facilitate mounting up my Proton blinkers, used them to sandwich the blinkers to the fairings rubber grommets.

Last edited by Fastguy59; 06-26-2016 at 02:48 PM.
Old 06-26-2016, 02:34 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Fast, I also hated getting chain goop all over the bike and possibly my shoes or pants. I started using Maxima Chain Wax https://www.amazon.com/Maxima-74920-...BRYAX56M45VB35

This stuff works awesome! It does not fling off chain goop. The inside of my front sprocket cover had very little debris inside of it after almost 800 miles after applying the chain wax. I'll never go back to using chain lube.

Good idea for making the rusty bolt look better. Thanks!
Old 06-26-2016, 04:02 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

thedeatons is on a distinguished road
I too have used Maxima chain wax for the last 18 or so years with no fling.

The Nicky mod looks REALLY good when you install a Renthal front sprocket. It has a nice bevel around it and lightening holes so it looks trick.

James
Old 06-26-2016, 04:37 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Good to see you still hangin' around James. And those holes are speed holes
Old 06-29-2016, 04:41 AM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
Well,

I took a much needed break from work and went for a ride with some mates!

One on a Moto Gussi and one on a Tl1000s. I have a new set of tyres on the VTR and they changed the whole pecking order.

Fresh tyres and rarin to go!

The ride just proved why I like the VTR soo much.

She's a peach! After 4 years of ownership(It's the lomgest I have ever kept a bike!) I understand why this bike is so good.

You can tailor it to suit your own needs .

They are just great fun to ride and the experience is made all the more enjoyable by way of the fact that they engage you . There is nothing more satisfying than getting the carburation right and thrashing the **** out of it, cleaning and checking it and then doing it all over again on the next ride.

So today I rode it, Thrashed it , and had A Ball!

I don't think that there is too much I would change on my bike now so I I'll watch and observe what other folks get up to on here and in the meantime enjoy the VTR .

I saw one today in my hometown. being ridden by a lady. I stopped and parked my car up and went over and introduced myself to her. I asked her about the bike and it had done 199,000Klms with one engine rebuild. Still had standard tensioners but at least the stopper mod had been done, standard cans with a debaffle that sounded good and general tatty.

A lot of K's and still going strong. I can only hope to get that sort of mileage.
Old 06-29-2016, 10:05 AM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

You only had your VTR for 4 years? I thought you had it for much longer. I guess I thought that because of all the heavy mods you had done to it.
Old 06-29-2016, 01:09 PM
Superstock

Mounted up and wired in my rear Proton turn signals

Quick Reply: What did you do with your SuperHawk today?