General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

What did you do with your SuperHawk today?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 02:54 AM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
Post some detailed pics when your done.

I didn't like the weird goldy coloured engine cases on mine, they looked crap, that's why I polished them.

The red and black will contrast nicely I think.

Cheers.
Old 12-29-2015, 03:08 AM
SuperBike

On another note,

I went for a ride over my favourite mountain today with a couple of friends who ride Moto Guzzis.

The pace was rapid on the way back home, the road is a steep climb with plenty of nice smooth 35-60KPH corners.

One of the folks is a guy I went to school with and things got a bit spirited when my mate got the jump on me by doing something a bit naughty regarding double yellow lines.

I wasn't having a bar of it and at the first legal opportunity I was after him, right up his clacker as we say here in Oz.

We were fast approaching a hairpin bend at a rapid rate and I was starting to wonder if he was going to slow down when I grapped a handful of front brake trying to wash off speed for the approaching bend .By this stage I was right on his tail and he ran wide . I saw a van approaching in the opposite direction . I thought "****" he's gonna hit it, but I watched as he dropped his shoulder and just made it past. I reckon there was less than an inch in it.

A pleasant afternoon ride that was very close to going pear shaped due to two silly old farts carrying on like teenagers.

Wish I had of had my camera on so that I could of showed him how close it was .When I questioned him about it he said he knew it was close but no harm done.

I am too scared to check my Reg Grundies (Undies or underwear)after that .
Old 12-29-2015, 03:28 AM
Squid

jdhawk is on a distinguished road
1998 RC 51 LOOKALIKE

TODAY IS A VERY SAD DAY MY SUPERHAWK FELL OVER AND TOOK A HIT TO THE RIGHTHAND ENGINE COVER .......NEEDLES TO SAY I NEED A SIDE COVER NOW ANTONE HAVE ONE?
Old 01-03-2016, 07:26 PM
VTR virgin
Superstock

Cadbury64 is on a distinguished road
Today was a great day to test whether I was successful replacing the coolant hoses. I was! Went out for my current favourite 220 km loop:

A magical warm summer's day was enjoyed by all!

Old 01-03-2016, 08:49 PM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
Good on ya mate, we also had a great sunny day below 0 Celsius and no riding whatsoever ;-) oh well, maybe it's time to move back down under....
Old 01-04-2016, 09:28 AM
SuperSport

NZSpokes is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Cadbury64
Today was a great day to test whether I was successful replacing the coolant hoses. I was! Went out for my current favourite 220 km loop:

A magical warm summer's day was enjoyed by all!

Was must have almost bumped into each other. We went to Kaiaua for Fush and Chups. We were there about mid day.
Old 01-04-2016, 02:02 PM
VTR virgin
Superstock

I passed through Kaiaua at about 215 but did not stop. I can recommend the ice creams at the dairy to the north however, they're very generous!
Old 01-04-2016, 07:05 PM
SuperSport

I passed through Kaiaua at about 215 but did not stop. I can recommend the ice creams at the dairy to the north however, they're very generous!
I was about to do some couch snoozing by then.
Old 01-07-2016, 11:05 AM
VTR virgin
Superstock

For you snow-bound Northern hemisphere dwellers, here's a short clip from onboard my VTR a few days ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L0X...ature=youtu.be
Old 01-08-2016, 07:52 AM
Superstock

Hangfly is on a distinguished road
That video plays "inside out" or backwards I think. It looks like you are driving on the wrong side of the road.

Certainly nice looking weather for a ride. But I would likely die from a "head on" in a memory lapse or moment of confusion.
Old 01-08-2016, 08:49 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Wrecked it
Old 01-08-2016, 04:45 PM
VTR virgin
Superstock

Originally Posted by Hangfly
That video plays "inside out" or backwards I think. It looks like you are driving on the wrong side of the road.

Certainly nice looking weather for a ride. But I would likely die from a "head on" in a memory lapse or moment of confusion.
Sadly we get a lot of tourist drivers here who are lulled into a false sense of security by our wide open spaces and low traffic density. They wipe themselves and locals out fairly frequently by getting onto the wrong side of the road and having a head-on.

I drove my family 2000 miles around CA last Christmas and was determined not to be "that guy" that drove on the wrong side and wiped out his family. Certainly keeps one focussed.

Last edited by Cadbury64; 01-08-2016 at 04:52 PM.
Old 01-11-2016, 05:31 AM
Back Marker

AndyMX47 is on a distinguished road
Re-packed my carbon fiber TBR mufflers. A bit of a pain, but not too bad. Original packing was a little bit black and roached, but at least still there after 6,000 miles. New packing softened the exhaust tone slightly - at least that's what I'm telling myself.

Also checked valve clearances - 16,000 miles - rear cylinder was perfect, front intakes perfect, front exhausts were both at 0.011", so I left them alone for next winter.

After all that, went for a nice 85 mile ride around the local back roads with a friend who rides a 98 vfr - good stuff!
Old 01-11-2016, 07:47 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Andy what brand & what did you pay for the packing? I feel like I repack my TBR carbons all the time.

Have tried ceramic packing to aid in lifespan but always interested in what others are using.
Old 01-11-2016, 11:21 AM
Back Marker

AndyMX47 is on a distinguished road
I re-packed them with the TBR packing kits - they were about $22 each, and you need two. Well, you need about 1 1/2, so I'll use the leftover packing material in the dirt bikes. Total cost with shipping was just under $50.
Old 01-11-2016, 12:00 PM
Squid

Tantofolder is on a distinguished road
Both my ignition switch and my turn signal switch decided to stop working last night( as I was out riding). So graphite powder into the key hole, and disassembly/cleaning of the turn signal switch today. The grease that was in the turn switch was like glue, it's surprising that it didn't stop working long ago. They both seem to be functioning as they should now.
Old 01-11-2016, 02:04 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

thedeatons is on a distinguished road
Bought 4 qts of Red Line 10w40 motorcycle oil, and a Purolator Pure One oil filter.

Also ordered 1 qt of Silkolene Pro RSF 7.5wt.

Also picked up some black oxide screws...

James
Old 01-12-2016, 01:48 AM
SuperBike

Favourite mountain road at front door.

Sorry for the sound, new camera.

Old 01-15-2016, 10:29 AM
Superstock

RobertLever is on a distinguished road
January rides

We had some nice sunny mild days last weekend. High temps were in the 50 degree F range. Got to ride the Hawk for two days in a row. This weekend looks like its back to cold and rainy again. Found a nice Joe Rocket Blaster jacket on Ebay for $50.00. I've had pretty good luck getting used gear on there.
Old 01-15-2016, 01:51 PM
SuperBike

Replacing steering stem bearings with tapers.

Bloody ignition lock bolts a pain to get out!

Felt clunking in the front end under brakes, lifted front wheel of the ground and clunk clunk clunk at the steering stem. This may explain the erratic behaviour of the front end lately.

Haven't pulled the stem yet , however I'm sure the bearings will be unserviceable.

Will post pics.
Old 01-15-2016, 03:19 PM
SuperBike

Well surprise surprise the bearings and shells look o.k, still had plenty of grease in them.

Here is how I got the ignition bolts out.

Used my dremmel with a cutting wheel and the biggest flat blade screwdriver with a square shaft that I used an adjustable wrench on to turn.

[URL=http://s1000.photobucket.com/user/kbarr2/media/2016-01/3C6A3A33-AB7F-40FF-8031-F5C2BC2982EE_zpsmp02nl79.jpg.html][/URL

removed the bearing outer races(Cups) using an old very long extension bar and a big hammer. Honda have made this easy by having an area that exposes the outer race on the front inner and rear inner of the steering housing of the frame for both top and bottom outer races. Good work Honda.

Now to figure out how to get the lower inner race of the steering stem without damaging the stem. We have a bearing press in the workshop where I work but the shop is closed.

Time to do a search I think!

I might grind it off!
Old 01-15-2016, 08:13 PM
SuperBike

Well I ground it off and used it to seat the new outer bearing she'll in the lower steering tube. Used a piece of pipe to drive the new race onto the steering stem.

Back together, tension set .

Now to fit the top yoke and set tension on the steering yolk nut.

I fully expect to have to reset the tension after riding as I'm not sure if the bottom bearing outer race is seated fully.

Not as bad a job as I thought, now to reset the fork height and reassemble everything.

I also fitted Allen bolts to the ignition lock as I don't want to go through the grinding bolt exercise again if I ever have to remove the lock again.

During this mod I noticed that I will need new front pads for the F4i calipers soon, any recommendations appreciated.
Old 01-16-2016, 09:40 PM
SuperSport

Went for a nice long ride with my partner. Stopped at Kaiaua for a picnic then on to the Waikato for a few hours of nice roads.

Also proposed to my beloved and got the right response. Happy Days.
Attached Thumbnails What did you do with your SuperHawk today?-happy.jpg  
Old 01-17-2016, 12:15 AM
VTR virgin
Superstock

Congratulations, Spokes! And she's a rider!!!
Old 01-17-2016, 12:51 AM
SuperSport

Congratulations, Spokes! And she's a rider!!!
She is, thats how we meet. Then she had a wee off in Mungatangi. Took almost 3 years to get back strong enough to ride again. She started out back on a 650 Hyosung which was rubbish. Then we got her this little 600 Hornet which she loves. Had a custom shock made for it and highway pegs as she is still caring injuries.
Old 01-17-2016, 01:36 AM
SuperBike

Congrats N.Z

My bride of almost 35 years is bike sympathetic as well!

Makes for a great life.

Blessings on you and your future wife.
Old 01-17-2016, 01:42 AM
SuperBike

Well,

Went for a short shakedown ride today after fitting the tapered steering head bearings.

What a revelation!

Everything works fine and served to show just how knackered the old ones were.

Can actually ride through the bumps now and feel the suspension doing what it is meant to do.

Wondering how long it will be before I have to retention everything but for now it feels the best it ever has to ride.

The real test will be my favourite bit of mountain road. For now I am happy to recheck my handiwork and ensure that everything is as it should be.

Next job after that is new front pads for the F4i front calipers. Any suggestions appreciated.
Old 01-17-2016, 03:01 AM
Back Marker

Stephan is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by kenmoore
Next job after that is new front pads for the F4i front calipers. Any suggestions appreciated.
I use Ferodo ST and have no complaints.

Brembo SA will be good as well, or Brembo SC if you want more power but less life.
Old 01-17-2016, 06:42 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Congrats NZ!

Marriage is a lot like maintaining a bike. The closer attention you pay, the less you have to deal with major failures.

Godspeed on your journey.
Old 01-17-2016, 10:25 AM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by kenmoore

DP HH+. Stunning pads. Huge power and no fade on the track. True 1 finger stopping. All my bike has is stock apart from braided lines and good fluid. Best brakes I have had on a motorcycle.

Quick Reply: What did you do with your SuperHawk today?