General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

What did you do with your SuperHawk today?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 06:05 AM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by NZSpokes
Finished my bar conversion on the weekend without up and back blocks. Feels good but will be a day or two before I can ride it.
That looks nice! Much wider than stock. Post up your impressions once you get to ride it.
Old 06-15-2015, 01:44 PM
SuperSport

NZSpokes is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CruxGNZ
That looks nice! Much wider than stock. Post up your impressions once you get to ride it.
Stuck at home with a chest infection. No riding for a bit. They are wider than I wanted but I have some Renthal ultra lows on back order.

I rode it with up and back risers and it felt like it had a stuffed front tyre. It also felt disconnected. Im sure this will be better.

I want to be able to do long rides on it without pain. My body is a bit thrashed from years of sport, not the bikes fault.
Old 06-15-2015, 02:00 PM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
That's how the Tuono felt after riding the Storm.

I got around it by dropping the forks and then all was good.
Old 06-15-2015, 05:58 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by kenmoore
That's how the Tuono felt after riding the Storm.

I got around it by dropping the forks and then all was good.
My daily ride is a 1200 bandit naked with very wide motocross bars to help with 2 up. Its front tyre is getting coved. The Hawk felt worse. I suspect the bars were to far behind the headstock.
Old 06-16-2015, 04:34 AM
SuperBike

What does coved mean?
Old 06-16-2015, 02:53 PM
SuperSport

What does coved mean?
It means the sides of the tyre are wearing faster than the center. We like corners so I put it in pretty hard 2up. This can cause a wandering feeling at the front.

I rode it to work today and sussed out the problem. The front is to responsive with these bars. Im taking the spacers out from the shock to calm it down.
Old 06-17-2015, 02:45 AM
SuperBike

Theoretically that should help, however it may not as there will be a weight transfer towards the rear. Interested to see how this turns out.

Good luck, let us know.
Old 06-17-2015, 03:06 AM
SuperSport

Theoretically that should help, however it may not as there will be a weight transfer towards the rear. Interested to see how this turns out.

Good luck, let us know.
Before I do it I will check sags as I suspect they will now be out.

But the ride home was fun. Really liking the new position. Cant wait for the Renthals to turn up for some extra bling.
Old 06-17-2015, 08:37 AM
Pew Pew...lasers
Superstock

taskmasta is on a distinguished road
Installed Coerce hugger.

Old 06-17-2015, 10:19 AM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
Nice! It looks similar to the hugger Marquez and I ordered from Airtech, but in carbon fiber.
Old 06-22-2015, 07:57 PM
Squid

Bambus007 is on a distinguished road
Finally took some pictures of my "new to me" VTR 1000F. Already had manual TTC's so its good to go. Just waiting for flush mount turn signals, but that's a post for another day

And...... cant post pictures
Old 06-23-2015, 09:29 AM
Squid

bewsted is on a distinguished road
SEXY!

Originally Posted by taskmasta
Installed Coerce hugger.

Old 06-23-2015, 07:00 PM
Squid

bird-rider is on a distinguished road
Invested with a new set of EBC green pads which I bought from 4 Wheel Online. Getting ready for a weekend track day.
Old 06-23-2015, 08:13 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
EBC greens? For a track day I wouldn't you want HH's?
Old 06-28-2015, 01:36 AM
SuperBike

It is winter here in Oz and great weather for riding.

Today I went for a 400K ride with my brother on his Suzuki TLS and an old school friend on his Moto Guzzi California Sport Special.

We were in the boondocks and fairly up our bikes doing warp seep plus 2 as I overtook my mate on his Guzzi that tops out at 1.8 when all of a sudden my bro goes sailing past me at approx 2.2 on his TLS that I have recently rebuilt.

Of course I stayed with him and felt immense satisfaction when we pulled up and my bro tells me that after 8 years of ownership that his bike has never performed so well.

He didn't get in front of me again and all in all a great day out with a bunch of V Twins.

I was getting very good mileage until that incident and my bike performed flawlessly.

Makes it all worth while!
Old 06-28-2015, 06:50 AM
Superstock

RobertLever is on a distinguished road
Yesterday I took the Hawk across the Mountains on Highway 2 here in Washington state. It was my first time over Steven's Pass and the bike did great. I had great fun passing slow drivers and their train of detainees. The Hawk is so torquey, I never felt the need to downshift. I just wound her open and let her bellow on by the line of cars. Twice the lead car meekly moved over as I went by.
I had some range anxiety as I had not filled up at the last-chance gas. I've been getting about 98 miles till the Red Light of Death and figured I'd make it to the Lake Wenachee turnoff and its gas station. I stopped for lunch at the 59er Diner and enjoyed a burger and a malt inside. This is a 50's retro place with good food. I parked the Hawk next to a BMW twin and a Ducati Scrambler right in front of the place. It's been hot up here and I wanted to go to the mountains to cool off. I found it was best to just keep moving to keep cool. As soon as I could, I got off the highway and onto some shady backroads. It was a lovely day.
Old 06-28-2015, 12:27 PM
That one guy
Back Marker

Meier Link is on a distinguished road
Had to completely rebuild the master cylinder for the clutch. Already rebuilt the slave but had to wait on part . Now I am just waiting for time to pass for air to work it's way upwards.

Spent 2 months rebuilding it from the ground up just to have the clutch go out after 3 weeks of riding it . I will be posting pics of the rebuild in a different thread when I get time to dump all of the pics.
Old 06-28-2015, 12:51 PM
Superstock

Big_Jim59 is on a distinguished road
I took the VTR on a ride to Sherman TX to show my dad. He has been so very interested in my progress with the bike. He is not a rider and to my knowledge has never thrown a leg over a bike but he is a great mechanic and has a keen interest in mechanical things. He asks me, every time he sees me "how's that bike coming?' He was tickled that I brought it for him to see (and hear) and we spend some time outside looking it over and talking about its finer points. The day was nice for him to be out and I sat on the porch of their assisted living home, with both my mom and dad, and just enjoyed the pleasant weather. On the way back the Superhawk and I got better acquainted as we Waltzed Across Texas. We also stopped for a brief photo shoot. All in all we did a liitle under 100 miles.

I have gotten more and more comfortable with the bike. The bottom end rattle does not bother me as much. I have learned to keep the revs up in the corners and I have developed "Triumph wrist." This is what we used to call it in the old days when all Triumphs had worn out Amals and you had to flick the throttle, every now and then, to keep it idling. I have learned that if I ride in 5th gear I can keep it at just above legal speeds. It is such a great bike.

Old 06-28-2015, 01:05 PM
Superstock

Hangfly is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
Whats it from? How much?

Yes, it is from an '02 CBR954. I think I have all the parts needed to begin.
I kind of like the old style caliper design over the radial. However, I bought some newer style black "wave" rotors
As far as "how much?" , well that is an interesting subject. I didn't listen to other wise members warning about how this can get pretty expensive. The Ebay front end wasn't too bad, but by the time Catalyst Reaction got done with the forks, new rotors (Ebay seller lied, shipped rotors were bent, cast fender tab on fork broken) pads, bar kits, bearings etc. Unless you are more resourceful than I, better budget way north of a grand. Which is more than my initial purchase price for the bike.

Name:  IMG_1944.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  427.8 KB

Last edited by Hangfly; 06-28-2015 at 01:20 PM.
Old 06-28-2015, 01:29 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Hangfly
Yes, it is from an '02 CBR954. I think I have all the parts needed to begin.
I kind of like the old style caliper design over the radial. However, I bought some newer style black "wave" rotors
As far as "how much?" , well that is an interesting subject. I didn't listen to other wise members warning about how this can get pretty expensive. The Ebay front end wasn't too bad, but by the time Catalyst Reaction got done with the forks, new rotors (Ebay seller lied, shipped rotors were bent, cast fender tab on fork broken) pads, bar kits, bearings etc. Unless you are more resourceful than I, better budget way north of a grand. Which is more than my initial purchase price for the bike.

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...on-swap-21595/

Post #16 in this thread will show you what you need to do to the lower tripple to get it to work
Old 06-29-2015, 01:11 AM
SuperSport

Checked my plugs, still to rich. Time to drop shims. Seems what I have been told about NZ needing 15 points lower jetting than the US is true.

Dail the suspension better for the wide riser bars, way to twitchy.
Old 06-29-2015, 05:41 AM
Superstock

Hangfly is on a distinguished road
"Post #16 in this thread will show you what you need to do to the lower tripple to get it to.............. "

Mike,
Just read the entire thread about your adventures 5 years ago. I am sure that reading (and viewing your photos) about whittling the stops will save me some grief. I'm not sure if I will have to move back the radiators though?
Thank you.

Dan
Old 06-29-2015, 06:59 AM
Back Marker

AndyMX47 is on a distinguished road
Rode the wheels off of it for 350 miles in the NC and TN mountains around Shady Valley TN, Little Switzerland NC, and places in between. Some of the Harley folks and retirees in convertibles we testing my patience though - something I need to work on tuning next. Stable cornering right to the edge of the tires and smooth torque in between the corners - man I love this bike! I ogled a Tuono V4R at a gas stop, but can't help but wonder if I can navigate the twisties just as well on the old Superhawk - HP is never an issue, it's all handling and control.
Old 06-29-2015, 01:51 PM
Squid

BubblesNewEra92 is on a distinguished road
I need help

If anyone can mail directly with an answer I could use some help I'm a new rider and I bought my friends vtr 1000 and I went down a few weeks ago and I have all the parts on order just need fairings the ones I've been find that are affordable to me all vtr 996 on the side but are advertised as fairings for a 1000f but my friends are saying they won't fit so I'm confused as hell
Old 06-29-2015, 02:31 PM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

CrankenFine is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by BubblesNewEra92
If anyone can mail directly with an answer I could use some help I'm a new rider and I bought my friends vtr 1000 and I went down a few weeks ago and I have all the parts on order just need fairings the ones I've been find that are affordable to me all vtr 996 on the side but are advertised as fairings for a 1000f but my friends are saying they won't fit so I'm confused as hell
OK so first advice is don't post the same question in multiple threads, you won't win any goodwill points for that.

Second, a VTR1000F is a Super Hawk 996 and outside the US it is a Firestorm but also still a VTR1000F. So any fairing for a Firestorm, a VTR1000, a Super Hawk 996 or a VTR1000F will fit your bike. Also if you find chinese knock off fairings on ebay they might say VTR996 on the side but they will also fit (assuming they are made correctly, no sure thing...)

Last edited by CrankenFine; 06-29-2015 at 02:32 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 06-29-2015, 02:36 PM
Squid

BubblesNewEra92 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CrankenFine
OK so first advice is don't post the same question in multiple threads, you won't win any goodwill points for that.

Second, a VTR1000F is a Super Hawk 996 and outside the US it is a Firestorm but also still a VTR1000F. So any fairing for a Firestorm, a VTR1000, a Super Hawk 996 or a VTR1000F will fit your bike. Also if you find chinese knock off fairings on ebay they might say VTR996 on the side but they will also fit (assuming they are made correctly, no sure thing...)
I'm sry bout that the original thread I posted I didn't see any new posts so I thought that thread was dead so I apologize for that.... and thank you
Old 07-01-2015, 03:26 PM
SuperSport

nnjhawk02 is an unknown quantity at this point
FLUSH UR DOT 4

Ummm - I've been LACK in flushing out all the DOT 4 fluids - Yuck some nasty shyte in there - just did front, rear & clutch.

Ugly.

Did 2 out three cars too (Umm that be DOT 3) The cages looked like coffee. I just watched a auto show this morning & the dude said every 2 yrs - Oops....but all good now.
Old 07-02-2015, 10:51 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Tried to put the bike back together...... Swapped in the new carb isolators and then one of the band clamps decided it no longer liked me and snapped in half......

So now we sit and wait until the new ones arrive in the mail....... really sucks when the bike is your only transportation.....

Though as a consolation prize, my new Celestion G12M Creamback is showing up today so my Marshall will really start to sound good and I can take out a bit of frustration......
Old 07-12-2015, 01:38 AM
SuperSport

Went for a blast down to the Firth of Thames. Happy days.
Attached Thumbnails What did you do with your SuperHawk today?-10885599_10205825635053260_7733895353530119453_n.jpg   What did you do with your SuperHawk today?-11693894_10205825634933257_4957678404335009676_n.jpg  
Old 07-12-2015, 10:09 PM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
Just came back from a night ride, perfect weather, no cars, no animals to hit, it was a joy :-) and now a beer for the finish and I'm completely set

Quick Reply: What did you do with your SuperHawk today?