General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

What did you do with your SuperHawk today?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 03:15 PM
blah blah blah
Squid

03hawk03Z1K is on a distinguished road
I put the stock jets back in and glued some cardboard on the k and n. Installed psr pair block offs. Holy freaking my god haha. Power wheelies in 1st at anything over 1/2 throttle. And im in el Paso way above the sea haha.
Old 12-31-2014, 06:57 AM
Squid

mikenap is on a distinguished road
Installed my DMr worked over forks and replaced stock rear shock with DMr modified F4 shock.
Used a ladder and straps to lift the back end.
Attached Thumbnails What did you do with your SuperHawk today?-20141230_192329.jpg   What did you do with your SuperHawk today?-20141230_192340.jpg   What did you do with your SuperHawk today?-20141230_200908.jpg  
Old 01-01-2015, 03:32 PM
Superstock

RobertLever is on a distinguished road
It looks like the weather is giving me a decent riding day every other week this winter. Today was sunny with temps in the 40F range so I rode over to visit my old high-school friend Charlie. We watched a Mythbusters with their third JATO rocket engine car.
On the way home a suicidal pedestrian crossed the road right in front of me. I bet she wouldn't have done that to a Harley. I must find a way to make the Hawk look more evil. Perhaps bayonets pointing out the front?
Old 01-02-2015, 10:36 AM
Superstock

Big_Jim59 is on a distinguished road
I got started with the tear down. I spent most of the day yesterday out in the shop. I started by fixing the lights in the shop. I am getting old and I can’t see like I used to. I need a ton of light so I hung halogens around. It’s pretty bright but I could use more. I was pretty comfortable out in the shop. It's really cold here but I doubled my socks and used a pair of wool ones. I also wore a double sweat shirt and that helped.

I have the, tank, air box, fairing and carbs off. I am going slow so as not to make mistakes and so I know how everything fits together. As with every bike I buy that needs fixed and has had someone else’s hands on it, I have found some interesting things. There are screws that hold the air box to both carbs. The screws were tight on the back carb and loose and sticking out on the front. This could have been a disaster if the bike had eaten one of those screws. Also the rear POS choke mount snapped. I understand that this is normal. I ordered the replacement brass Polaris part this morning and will do the modifications. I can't wait to get back at it but I have other work to do.

The PO said he rode the a mile and it quit. I must check the vacuum petcock. The fuel lines had very little gas in them.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:21 AM
European Member
Back Marker

RoadManiac is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mikenap
Installed my DMr worked over forks and replaced stock rear shock with DMr modified F4 shock.
hmmm that shock extender looks alot like the extender whe used on scooters ages ago but some where really crap.....

i FINALLY got a duo seat cover.... i found one in my color wich is quite rare
even more in the US

my hawk is undergoing some cosmetic surgery..... plan on restoring alot off things, because up close its not the prettiest hawk, it always more function then form but thats gonna change
Old 01-03-2015, 08:49 AM
Squid

Changed my tires. Used my $2.67 bead breaker, 3 tire irons, giant zip ties and took my time. SportMax Q2's $199 shipped to my door, dealer wanted $430 if I brought the rims to them...crazy.
Attached Thumbnails What did you do with your SuperHawk today?-20141220_114714.jpg  
Old 01-03-2015, 11:47 AM
Superstock

I finally got to the bottom of things. I got everything else stripped from the bike. I even pulled the radiators to give myself a little more elbow room. I checked the valve timing on the front cylinder and it looks great. I checked the valve clearances on the front cylinder and all were within spec. My assumption is the noise is from a collapsed timing chain adjuster and the reason it quit was a lack of fuel. I'll know more when my parts come in and I replace the OEM adjusters. According to USPS tracking they were supposed to be in on the 31st of December and, as of today, it looks like they are in Ohio somewhere. I may be waiting a while.

Since I have nothing left to do on the bike until the parts come it, I took a look at the floppy exhaust system. It turns out that the PO had jammed the exhaust gaskets down the pipe and then tried to tighten the clamps to make it tight. He managed to strip the inside of one of the clamp's allen bolts and got both of them so tight it was almost imposable to get them off. I managed to loosen the first one but I had to drill the head off the other one. I have new gaskets on order so that should be fixed.

Last edited by Big_Jim59; 01-03-2015 at 03:13 PM.
Old 01-03-2015, 11:55 AM
Superstock

Changed my tires. Used my $2.67 bead breaker, 3 tire irons, giant zip ties and took my time. SportMax Q2's $199 shipped to my door, dealer wanted $430 if I brought the rims to them...crazy.
WOW Mike, I think I could get you a better rate if you shipped me the tires and wheels and I had 'em mounted locally. The most expensive mount and balanced around here is $40 and I thought that was robbery. $430 for one tire? My wife would hit the roof the way I chew through tires.

My hat is off to you. Changing a tire with a modern stiff bead is no easy trick. I have mounted many a tire but this was years ago with tubes and soft sidewalls. These new tires are something else entirely.

Last edited by Big_Jim59; 01-03-2015 at 12:00 PM.
Old 01-03-2015, 03:04 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by Big_Jim59
WOW Mike, I think I could get you a better rate if you shipped me the tires and wheels and I had 'em mounted locally. The most expensive mount and balanced around here is $40 and I thought that was robbery. $430 for one tire? My wife would hit the roof the way I chew through tires.

My hat is off to you. Changing a tire with a modern stiff bead is no easy trick. I have mounted many a tire but this was years ago with tubes and soft sidewalls. These new tires are something else entirely.
430 was for both tires. $60 each to mount and balance off the bike and huge markup on tires compared to online prices. Dealer quoted Metzeler M5's which are newer then the Dunlop Q2's so not exactly apples to apples....but I still saved a bunch doing it my self
Old 01-03-2015, 11:36 PM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
Stinking hot here so rode the bike the 160k round trip to work.

Got caught in a torrential downpour and got soaked to the bone.

Bike was getting a bit tatty so a good excuse to polish her up all nice and shiny while I wait for some parts from the USA for my brothers bike. Parts are so much cheaper there than here in OZ you lucky guys.
Old 01-05-2015, 05:45 PM
Superstock

My manual CCT adjusters came in the mail today so I dropped everything and ran out to the shop where I replaced the original automatic CCTs with new manual ones. I still have not found a definitive source for the original noise. I expected a failed CCT to be floppy but it is not and neither the front or the rear timing chain was slack. Am I missing something? What does a failed CCT feel like?
Old 01-05-2015, 05:50 PM
Superstock

The ladder thing is pure genius! I was trying to figure how to block up the bike with only one person (the wife is a non-starter in the shop". This is great!
Old 01-06-2015, 12:38 AM
SuperBike

Big_Jim,

Check the bike to see if it has a 4 Degree advancer.

Mine does and ever since it was fitted there is a different noise from the engine.

Sounds like a problem with the cam chain around the front cylinder.

Other owners have reported the noise when fitting this advancer as well.

2 years on and I have become used to it, however if I heard it for the first time I would think that there was something wrong with the valves, water pump, primary drive or cam chain.

It's a Metallic noise that sounds funny and hard to pinpoint.

The noise on my bike could be exacerbated by the fact that I have no anti rattle gear installed.

Check it out, it may be what you have.

There are some posts about it on here, have a look.
Old 01-08-2015, 01:55 PM
blah blah blah
Squid

03hawk03Z1K is on a distinguished road
All I have been doing is riding lately haha. I have new plugs to put in, Fab up a mount for the front m/c resi and bleed the brakes. The Yamaha R1 Master made it feel so much better.
Old 01-08-2015, 02:25 PM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
My manual CCT adjusters came in the mail today so I dropped everything and ran out to the shop where I replaced the original automatic CCTs with new manual ones. I still have not found a definitive source for the original noise. I expected a failed CCT to be floppy but it is not and neither the front or the rear timing chain was slack. Am I missing something? What does a failed CCT feel like?
Feels like your bank account getting drained
Old 01-09-2015, 06:52 AM
ole dirty bastard
SuperSport

hawxter996 is an unknown quantity at this point
rebuilt the slave cylinder.
and have new gaskets for the engine covers.
which I need to decide what color to powder coat them.

the loss of parts due to the sewer break put me back a year
according to my calculations on parts cost and frequency of ordering such.
so im still here. pardon my earlier meltdown!
Old 01-12-2015, 02:32 PM
Power User
Squid

Ndogg550 is on a distinguished road
Nothing. It's under a cover, fluids drained and on a battery tender.... It's like 9 degrees out. Sigh.
Old 01-17-2015, 06:41 AM
Superstock

Ordered a magic 6mm shock spacer from England. Hoping for a sunny weekend riding day.
Old 01-17-2015, 02:22 PM
Superstock

Today was a VTR work day. All my parts had come in and it was time to make this puppy run. I got all the stuff like radiators and carbs back on. I took my time and straightened out the Two Brothers exhaust system. Now it mounts sold and secure. With it all assembled, except for the fairing I fired it up.

It knocks. In that the previous owner was truthful. It knocks or taps to such an extent that I didn't rev it past 2K for fear that it would explode.

I made a video. Have a listen:

Other than the knock it sounds really good!
Old 01-17-2015, 04:21 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
Do you have a mechanics stethascope? If not, use a screwdriver and put the philips or standard end on the engine and the handle on your ear and try to pinpoint the tick. Did the P.O. tell you how or when the tick started?
Old 01-17-2015, 07:02 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by CruxGNZ
Do you have a mechanics stethascope? If not, use a screwdriver and put the philips or standard end on the engine and the handle on your ear and try to pinpoint the tick. Did the P.O. tell you how or when the tick started?
I talked to him tonight. He said that on first start up he could hear a small tapping but the sound of the exhaust overwhelmed it. As he rode it got louder until it made so much noise it scared him. I am pretty sure, at this point that I have a bad rod cap and I will be pulling the engine and splitting the cases.
Old 01-17-2015, 07:28 PM
Connie Demico does toad?
Superstock

GlockPointer is on a distinguished road
I uncovered and warmed up the 'Hawk today. It took a few cranks but it fired up and seemed fine.
True confession- I have been working on and riding the Concours a lot lately.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:11 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by GlockPointer
I uncovered and warmed up the 'Hawk today. It took a few cranks but it fired up and seemed fine.
I have a Concours too! It's a really nice bike (love the bags) but it feels like a truck after my VFr.
Old 01-17-2015, 11:41 PM
SuperBike

She it,

That sounds bad!
Old 01-17-2015, 11:43 PM
SuperSport

NZSpokes is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by GlockPointer
A 1000cc one? Im looking at buying one. Any good?
Old 01-18-2015, 12:07 AM
Squid

jedrek750 is on a distinguished road
Yesterday I finished and installed frame covers:

Old 01-20-2015, 04:26 PM
ole dirty bastard
SuperSport

hawxter996 is an unknown quantity at this point
Today was a VTR work day. All my parts had come in and it was time to make this puppy run. I got all the stuff like radiators and carbs back on. I took my time and straightened out the Two Brothers exhaust system. Now it mounts sold and secure. With it all assembled, except for the fairing I fired it up.

It knocks. In that the previous owner was truthful. It knocks or taps to such an extent that I didn't rev it past 2K for fear that it would explode.

I made a video. Have a listen:

VTR Knock Knock Knocking - YouTube

Other than the knock it sounds really good!
sounds like you are missing a connection on one of the pair valves.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:04 AM
Connie Demico does toad?
Superstock

I have a Concours too! It's a really nice bike (love the bags) but it feels like a truck after my VFr.

Yeah it's been a lot of fun, nice to have a touring rig for the longer rides. Is you got a c-10 or c-14?
Old 01-21-2015, 07:11 AM
Connie Demico does toad?
Superstock

Originally Posted by NZSpokes
A 1000cc one? Im looking at buying one. Any good?

Yeah mines the c-10. For the money you can't beat it. They live a long time with proper maintenance. They have screw adjust valves also.
A few foibles, very ninja-like, kinda high strung. The pegs are high and the bars low and the seat beats on yer nuts. Sound familiar? I've already worked those things out.
Obviously the SuperHawk smokes it but performance is fine.
I wanted an F6B but got the Connie for less than a downpayment.
Old 01-25-2015, 03:39 PM
Superstock

We had a sunny mild day here in the Northwest. I got a good long ride in from Everett out to Granite Falls and back. It looked like everyone had the same idea judging by the number of riders I saw out there today. I got to use up my old tank of gas which had sat a month or two. Added an ounce of Sta-Bil to the new tankful after I got her home.

Quick Reply: What did you do with your SuperHawk today?