General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

What did you do with your SuperHawk today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 08:03 PM
Squid

herbvtr1000f is on a distinguished road
Picked up a set of tires and am going to hopefully replace them this weekend.$170 for both front and rear. Got the shinko 003 stealth.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:58 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Battled the 96°F weather and traffic and rode out to take care of some errands. Surprisingly the VTR stayed cool and the temp gauge barely creeped over halfway. Guess the water and Water Wetter is working well for me.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:42 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
trifecta

Went for a 150 mile corner shredding ride with Hoovie and kardiac996. Nice riding w/ you Tyler. I had an awesome ride!
Name:  P070712_0825.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  84.9 KB
Old 07-07-2012, 06:30 PM
99 superhawk
Superstock

wsharpman is on a distinguished road
took mine to michigan this last week and had a good time...seemed tho (west branch area) there wasn't hardly any sportbikes at all. I grew up there so it was a visit to the old haunts, however it has been 20+ years (ok almost 30) since I was last there and I knew almost no one. was cool to ride those old familiar roads though forgot how straight and flat they were heh heh not much in the way of a challenge oh well.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:28 AM
Back Marker

kardiac996 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 97Wolverine
Went for a 150 mile corner shredding ride with Hoovie and kardiac996. Nice riding w/ you Tyler. I had an awesome ride!

Ditto! It was a pretty awesome run.

On the way to work this morning my Shift peg left my shifter and bounced off the road. I'm going to try and hard boot shift this thing to the shop at lunch to pick up a new peg. Lemme just say its difficult to do...

Also adjusted my Front preload to the top notch for my size, it feels nicer but still soft. I was also able to use my super air horn on a jetta this morning as he negated to look for anyone almost side swiping a Prius into me. Was awesome!!!!! Thank god I dont need a peg to downshift lol

Last edited by kardiac996; 07-10-2012 at 06:33 AM.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:33 PM
When in doubt, C4
Squid

Sawzall86 is on a distinguished road
Been spraying pb blaster on my front plug because the PO, or PPO, never thought to use any antiseize on it and I'm not planning on taking the head off anytime soon -__-
Old 07-13-2012, 09:58 PM
Connie Demico does toad?
Superstock

GlockPointer is on a distinguished road
PB Blaster is nasty stuff, that smell sticks around. Should work.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:38 PM
Squid

merckid is on a distinguished road
took it to the shippers 2 weeks ago...still waiting for it to arrive at the dealership in town so i can pick it up...get rather impatient...
Old 07-14-2012, 09:14 AM
When in doubt, C4
Squid

Originally Posted by GlockPointer
PB Blaster is nasty stuff, that smell sticks around. Should work.

I sure as hell hope so, the last thing I want to do is strip the threads, if it comes out, I'll gladly take the smell over pulling the head. I've either put marine grease or anti-seize on every bolt I've taken off thus far, luckily, nothing has been too much of a pain to get out save for the front spark plug.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:39 AM
Back Marker

kardiac996 is on a distinguished road
Changed Oil/filter and Air filter. (To my surprise the airbox was filled with acorns) Some crazy squirrel also dug the Vtwin I guess hahaha. Anyways as im performing my own work im finding more and more neglected items from the PO, Air box being one.... Washed and lubed the whole bike down and shes rides a lot nicer when she can breathe.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:56 PM
When in doubt, C4
Squid

Got my frozen front spark plug out!!! DPR9EVX-9!! It had to be the original plug! No stripped threads, new DPR9EIX-9 with anti-seize went right in hand tight after that, then snugged down with a wrench beautifully. So goddamn happy right now!
Old 07-16-2012, 03:39 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Sawzall86
So goddamn happy right now!

+1 for
Old 07-16-2012, 05:13 PM
When in doubt, C4
Squid

Originally Posted by 97Wolverine
+1 for
Make that +2, I'm a firm believer in this stuff for sure. 4 days of letting the bike sit and hitting it with this every so often was the ticket. I'm still in shock that I didn't manage to bugger up the threads
Old 07-17-2012, 04:11 AM
Slacker
Superstock
Superstock

BeerHunter is an unknown quantity at this point
She has been in the workshop for almost a month. Have been busy with home repairs and not had much time to work on the bike. Finally got her put back together after changing a fork seal last week. Pulled the carbs again for adjustments to compensate for the BMC. Found the PAIR reed keepers had not been flipped even though the ports had been capped all this time.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:38 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by BeerHunter
She has been in the workshop for almost a month. Have been busy with home repairs and not had much time to work on the bike. Finally got her put back together after changing a fork seal last week. Pulled the carbs again for adjustments to compensate for the BMC. Found the PAIR reed keepers had not been flipped even though the ports had been capped all this time.
I was having a oil seep from the rear pair cover, time and time again....reed valve flipped, seal good, cover tight, and still.. after every long days ride.. I'd have some oil crawling down the cover.... So I machined a plug last night, and sealed the hole in the valve cover

Now on to installing my newly arrived APEX bars.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:41 AM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
Replaced an exhaust clamp that the bolt broke off in the nut. I used anti-seize when installing new bolt, it should make a difference!

On a sidenote-Ron Ayers takes their time shipping things out don't they? It took almost a week for them to process my order. Any other vendors ship faster?
Old 07-17-2012, 05:14 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RWhisen
Replaced an exhaust clamp that the bolt broke off in the nut. I used anti-seize when installing new bolt, it should make a difference!

On a sidenote-Ron Ayers takes their time shipping things out don't they? It took almost a week for them to process my order. Any other vendors ship faster?
Nope, not for OEM parts.. I've found all of the online vendors for OEM stuff the same way...

You call and place order, they hold it till the next stock order for that brand (that messes me up when I order parts for several brands at once.. cost me a few extra days sometimes.), your stuff gets ordered.... 10-14 working days to my door.

Just got a Ronayers order in last night myself.. 9 days online order to my door.. I order from them 1 or 2 times a month. Ease of use, phone service when needed, packaging, compleat shipments, phone call when something is back ordered, prices, and shipping times on par with the other online vendors... I keep coming back to ronayers.

And really, unless you pay extra.... that is about the same time frame as walking in to a dealer.... plus the hassle and gas of going there twice, paying local tax, chance the part will be wrong.... and the price will be 2~5 times what you pay on line.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:06 AM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
What did I do with my Superhawk today? I waited for parts.
I’m still pretty bummed about the whole thing. It was a rookie screw up.
I was returning from a very nice ride on July 11, 2012. It was sunny and clear, traffic was moderate and the roads were dry.
The exit from the highway is a slow right hand corner that I had been through a number of times. I left my braking late, braked hard for the corner, locked up the rear, released the back brake and highsided. I landed on my head and shoulder.
Whether it was a matter of weight transfer, debris or fluid on the pavement, reduced traction on the rumble strips or just bad rear brake modulation, the rear wheel skid extended the distance I needed to bring the bike down to a proper speed. I had to turn the bike to make the corner and I had to release the rear brake if I wanted to turn the bike. Once I released the rear brake, the rear tire stopped sliding and gripped and I got flicked off. The magnetic tank bag went too.
I got up, lifted up the bike and pushed it to the shoulder. The bike felt surprisingly light. I wanted to leave before someone tried to be helpful and called the police.
I couldn’t start the bike in gear. The cut out switch wouldn’t activate because the clutch lever was damaged. I found neutral fairly quickly after I remembered that I had reversed the shift pattern. I was able to ride home without difficulty. The adrenaline high lasted for a while.
Aside from bumps and bruises, the only major injury was a separated shoulder. Helmets are mandatory in this jurisdiction and I was wearing an armoured jacket.
The damage to the bike is all on the left side. It looks like the bike flipped and landed slightly nose down on the left clip-on, mirror and fairing. The tank has a barely discernible dimple in it. There was no damage to the case covers. The left frame slider was torn off, the left muffler and midpipe were scraped and the left bar end, grip, foot peg, left fairing half, left fairing liner, steering stop, Pazzo folding lever, windshield, clutch master cylinder reservoir and cap and turn signal were damaged. The main fairing stay has to be replaced. The left radiator was pushed in and the mounting brackets on the radiator were bent. I’ve got to check the forks and triple clamps. The frame looks OK and I hope it’s straight. Most of the parts are on order.
I hope to be on the road again in a couple of weeks. Then I’ll ride through the corner I crashed at a few times until I’ve done it right.
I’m sixty years old, I’ve ridden for 45 years, I’ve been a motorcycle instructor for 10 years and I’ve ridden my VTR more than 100,000 kms. “In slow, out fast.” I’m still relearning old lessons.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:43 PM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by E.Marquez
Nope, not for OEM parts.. I've found all of the online vendors for OEM stuff the same way......
Thanks for the reply, wanted to make sure I wasn't getting "special" treatment.

Comedo-
Glad you weren't hurt worse!
Old 07-17-2012, 04:32 PM
SuperSport

Dear RWhisen,
Thanks for the comment. We're in the midst of a heat wave up here and most of the riders I've seen are riding in t-shirts. Wearing an armoured jacket is on a very short list of things that I did correctly.
About the parts order: The front fairing support is a very expensive part that Honda Canada said is back ordered until the end of August. Ronayers told me that they might be able to get it by the end of July. I crossed my fingers and ordered one from them. I didn't want to wait and hope that one would pop up on ebay.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:38 PM
Squid

Patton303 is on a distinguished road
Changed out my headlight lamp. Installed a K&N filter. Cleaned my carb. Drove it to work. Going to Aspen on Saturday.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:43 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Sorry to hear about your get off but glad you were wearing your gear...bikes can be fixed.

Originally Posted by comedo
What did I do with my Superhawk today? I waited for parts.
I’m still pretty bummed about the whole thing. It was a rookie screw up.
I was returning from a very nice ride on July 11, 2012. It was sunny and clear, traffic was moderate and the roads were dry.
The exit from the highway is a slow right hand corner that I had been through a number of times. I left my braking late, braked hard for the corner, locked up the rear, released the back brake and highsided. I landed on my head and shoulder.
Whether it was a matter of weight transfer, debris or fluid on the pavement, reduced traction on the rumble strips or just bad rear brake modulation, the rear wheel skid extended the distance I needed to bring the bike down to a proper speed. I had to turn the bike to make the corner and I had to release the rear brake if I wanted to turn the bike. Once I released the rear brake, the rear tire stopped sliding and gripped and I got flicked off. The magnetic tank bag went too.
I got up, lifted up the bike and pushed it to the shoulder. The bike felt surprisingly light. I wanted to leave before someone tried to be helpful and called the police.
I couldn’t start the bike in gear. The cut out switch wouldn’t activate because the clutch lever was damaged. I found neutral fairly quickly after I remembered that I had reversed the shift pattern. I was able to ride home without difficulty. The adrenaline high lasted for a while.
Aside from bumps and bruises, the only major injury was a separated shoulder. Helmets are mandatory in this jurisdiction and I was wearing an armoured jacket.
The damage to the bike is all on the left side. It looks like the bike flipped and landed slightly nose down on the left clip-on, mirror and fairing. The tank has a barely discernible dimple in it. There was no damage to the case covers. The left frame slider was torn off, the left muffler and midpipe were scraped and the left bar end, grip, foot peg, left fairing half, left fairing liner, steering stop, Pazzo folding lever, windshield, clutch master cylinder reservoir and cap and turn signal were damaged. The main fairing stay has to be replaced. The left radiator was pushed in and the mounting brackets on the radiator were bent. I’ve got to check the forks and triple clamps. The frame looks OK and I hope it’s straight. Most of the parts are on order.
I hope to be on the road again in a couple of weeks. Then I’ll ride through the corner I crashed at a few times until I’ve done it right.
I’m sixty years old, I’ve ridden for 45 years, I’ve been a motorcycle instructor for 10 years and I’ve ridden my VTR more than 100,000 kms. “In slow, out fast.” I’m still relearning old lessons.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:12 PM
Slacker
Superstock
Superstock

BeerHunter is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by E.Marquez
I was having a oil seep from the rear pair cover, time and time again....reed valve flipped, seal good, cover tight, and still.. after every long days ride.. I'd have some oil crawling down the cover.... So I machined a plug last night, and sealed the hole in the valve cover

Now on to installing my newly arrived APEX bars.
I was not aware that oil could seep from the PAIR cover. How is this happening?

Comedo - You are here to talk about it and will be able to ride again, so you at least did enough things correctly

I sometimes wonder about absent forum members... if they may have had a fatal off. We might not ever know.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:16 PM
SportTouring
Superstock

Onomea is on a distinguished road
Aloha comedo,

Glad to see that you are O.K. ATGATT is very difficult to execute all the time . Kudos for you to have the armoured jacket. Sh-t happens as we all know. Bikes can be fixed/replaced. Being around to recap situations is what its all about, even for veterans. May you have many more seasons. Ride Well...
Old 07-18-2012, 04:29 AM
Superstock

dshakes is on a distinguished road
Let's see. Today I pushed the bike 3/4 of a mile home... Left a stop sign and while making the third gear shift she gave out on me. Instruments and everything blank. Pretty sure from researching old posts that the main fuse blew and the r/r went kaput. The woman had the truck so I decided to push it home in 105 degree heat. It sucked haha but I just can't stand the thought of leaving the Hawk parked somewhere.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:21 AM
SuperSport

8541Hawk, BeerHunter and Onomea,
Thanks all for your kind comments. I've gone over the riding error more than once and there's nothing more to learn from it. It's time to nut up, pay for the parts, put the bike back on the road and ride with passion and better judgement. I appreciate your help in putting the incident into a healthier perspective.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:58 AM
When in doubt, C4
Squid

Glad to read you were wearing gear and came back to post up about it, Comedo. Like everyone said, you can replace the bike/parts, but there's only one of you.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:37 PM
Connie Demico does toad?
Superstock

GlockPointer is on a distinguished road
Glad you're ok Comedo! I dread the day my 'Hawk drops. Had some close calls already of course.

I ran the 'Hawk around the hill country a couple of weeks ago, still chasing that last .25" of chicken strips.
I picked up a Sedici tank bag from Cyclegear. Seems to be the right size, stays put, and is a 1680 denier according to them. It is way heavier duty than my Bilt luggage, wich has served me well.

Other than that I have been riding the XR alot more lately due to the crazy rain we've had. Some buds and I rode through a mild tropical storm last Sunday, pumping up the 'enduro' factor. I am glad I was not caught out on the 'Hawk that day.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:47 PM
When in doubt, C4
Squid

Finally got the Honda parts I ordered about 3 weeks ago in New slide, new OEM needles, 1 longer OEM stack (trial), and the 2 little filters in the airbox. Tore the carbs apart, replaced the needles and shimmed them according to the carb setup thread, turned my mixtures screws in 1/4 turn each, checked and lubed all cables, checked the plugs again, put it all back together, fired it up and let it get to temp before checking sync, runs amazing now I didn't even have to touch the carbs after checking the sync because they were spot on from before and actually "bounce" less than before on my sync tool. So I'll post up my setup here if there's anyone else in the same climate zone as me, FL Sea level.

OEM needles - 1 shim front, 2 shims rear
1 lift hole plugged in front slide
48 pilots
2 turns out front, 2 1/4 turns out rear
Stock mains - 175 front & 178 rear iirc
HiFlo OEM replacement air filter
TPS set to 500 ohms

Test ride went well, and I'll have to see if the weather plays nice tonight.

Last edited by Sawzall86; 07-23-2012 at 01:50 PM.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:28 PM
Back Marker

storm_rider is on a distinguished road
Put about 200 km on the VTR today. Going to reach the magical 100,000 km mark this season...

Name:  odo.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  56.3 KB

Quick Reply: What did you do with your SuperHawk today?