General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Some cagers upset by Caltrans electronic signs

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 07:49 AM
Superstock

nekkid is on a distinguished road
Hmmm...we decry the "me first and **** the rest" attitude held by others then justify aggressive lane splitting with "because we can". Yes, we lane split because we take up less space and choose not to make as great an impact on the traffic environment as other, more selfish, commuters. The altruism and self-sacrifice makes me proud to be an American.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:17 AM
Superstock

Killemall is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by zmaniv
Nath if you went further northeast the massholes go away.

Absolutely true!
Old 02-20-2010, 09:10 AM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
nath,
Don't you wish we had those gear drive cams in our Hawks?

I rode to Laguna Seca from Anaheim with friends in '83 and '84 on my canyon racer modded CX500 (don't laugh, I had guys asking me if it was a Guzzi, even though it said Honda on the tank). Two of my buddies were on first year 750 Interceptors for both rides.

I got some great overhead full frame photos with a 300mm lens of Kenny Roberts and Randy Mamola in the Corkscrew by sitting in one of the oak trees. Man did Randy hang off more than anyone else at that time or what.
Oh yeah! Bought the interceptor with two matching helmets new north of Houston, put 600 miles on it first day, took it back the next morning for the initial service and the dealer was freakin out. Cams were soft, but were upgraded under warranty @ 8000 miles. Kick *** machine. Just a bit heavier than i prefer.

I'll bet you got some great shots at Laguna. I couldn't see that well from the hill i was camping on (partying for 3 days-hahaha), and since i had never seen that many great bikes in one place in my life, I spent a lot of the weekend trying to absorb everthing. What a time!
Old 02-20-2010, 10:11 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by nekkid
Hmmm...we decry the "me first and **** the rest" attitude held by others then justify aggressive lane splitting with "because we can". Yes, we lane split because we take up less space and choose not to make as great an impact on the traffic environment as other, more selfish, commuters. The altruism and self-sacrifice makes me proud to be an American.
lane splitting, passing on the solid line and curves, and other illegal maneuvers have nothing to do with altruism, one-uping others, feeling priveleged, getting ahead or whatever else others want to project on my actions. Rathe, it's simply matter of using the road the way I want to as long as it doesn't interfere or endanger anyone else. It has nothing to do with competition with anyboby but myself. I never try to impose on others' driving/riding, and I don't want anyone bothering me, however several cops i met don't usually see it that way, and i can understand that.

people have moved over on me to run me off the road, threw things out the window, screamed, blew their horns, spit at me, and hit the brakes trying to get me to run into their ***-end, celled the cops, and never was there any danger or imposition to any of them. I call these types "***-holes". The latest was a guy in a big shiny pick-up on wide open view turn, nothing coming, no intersections----he hit his brakes as he pulled over squeezing me to the inside of the lane I was using to pass him. I'm getting so used to it now that I really don't even internalize the anger anymore, I just expect it. But it always wasn't that way and I'm sure if someone catches me on a bad day, i may respond differently judging by my past behavior.
Old 02-20-2010, 11:53 AM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
The only time I've had someone intentionally try to squash me was when I was lane splitting in New Hampshire. Traffic was crawling at 1 mph, and I was a new rider on a rented HD Heritage Softtail with a passenger on the back. When I tried to get up next to this box van on either side he'd swerve toward the other lane of traffic. Unfuckingbelievable... what can you do? I know lane splitting isn't allowed in NH, but leave the law enforcing up to the cops, *******.
Old 02-20-2010, 12:08 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Back in the '80s when there were a lot of us baby boomers riding and legally splitting on the freeways, I would experience cars trying to squeeze me so I couldn't get by or actually try take me out on a daily basis. I kicked a few doors back then.

Nowadays, I find the drivers much more courteous towards lane splitters, however more distracted.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:49 PM
jet wrench
Back Marker

loserbaby is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CentralCoaster
The rules on lane splitting isn't specifically written anywhere in the CA laws. It's basically up to the officer's discretion whether you're doing it safely or not.

But yeah, you really can't split lanes >15mph over traffic speed safely, and generally lane splitting in traffic over 30mph is frowned upon. Crashes don't happen as often as you'd think (or I'd be dead by now) but I do think it's almost always more dangerous than just staying in your lane. I do it anyways, but some riders choose not to. I think lane splitting is especially dangerous when the two lanes are moving at different speeds, this is when a cager is most likely to dart into the faster lane without signalling or checking mirrors.

I've been that a-hole on a handful of occasions though splitting at 100mph in traffic moving 80, "because I can", so I see both sides.

But I think in general the cagers resent being "forced" to sit in traffic when motorcyclists split through. But they fail to realize nobody's forcing them to drive a car instead of a bike, or even forcing them to drive at all... and bikes splitting lanes doesn't slow down their commute any, (unless it's in India or something!)
I travel Sacramento to the Bay Area, I am amazed by the bold *** lane splitting. I was blown by at roughly 60mph while in stopped traffic, seconds later a car jumped from the #1 to the #2 lane... I kept looking for that guy laying in a pile for the rest of my commute. Another time I was past while going 60 or so in some rather congested traffic, while on my bike, by another bike... splitting lanes at that speed? I split only when traffic is or very near stopped, and my stress level is high the whole time I'm doing it. I enjoy being able to move thru stopped traffic, but some guys are giving us a bad rap. I have had very good response from "cagers" typically opening up the "line" and allowing me thru. I greatly appreciate the courtesy, especially since a bike offers absolutely NO threat to there commute time... unless some *** knocks me down!
Old 02-26-2010, 11:07 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
California case law is 10 mph faster than traffic when and only when traffic is 30 mph or less. Most of my lane splitting is on city streets at traffic lights. When I white line on the freeway, I stay pretty close to the case law guidelines. Some guys don't, but they are a small percentage of riders.

When I split lanes on the freeway, I think I'm WAY safer than staying in my stop and go lane hoping the boob behind me stops before running me over.
Old 02-27-2010, 08:36 AM
MotoGP

let's put things in proper perspective. what does this tell us about drivers sharing the roads in other countries?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViwaepHyPxY
Old 02-27-2010, 08:40 PM
Squid Poacher
Back Marker

scatterbrained is on a distinguished road
Did this stand out to anyone else?. . . .
The signs, which are due to go dark today, were a joint effort between Caltrans, the California Highway Patrol and the state Office of Transportation Safety and had been in the works for a year, CHP spokeswoman Jaime Coffee said.
It took the government a frackin year to decide to post a message on an electronic board?! Are you serious!? I wonder how much tax money was wasted on committees, analysts, consultants, test runs, surveys etc just to tell some clerk to type the message in and set a timer?
Old 02-27-2010, 11:59 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Gregw is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by scatterbrained
Did this stand out to anyone else?. . . .

It took the government a frackin year to decide to post a message on an electronic board?! Are you serious!? I wonder how much tax money was wasted on committees, analysts, consultants, test runs, surveys etc just to tell some clerk to type the message in and set a timer?
Now you know why California is bankrupt. They upgraded some traffic lights to help with traffic flow (which is good). But they bought all these signs that say (SYNC) and installed them at all the affected corners. Were the signs really necessary?
Old 02-28-2010, 09:35 AM
Superstock

AngryOlaf is on a distinguished road
But they bought all these signs that say (SYNC) and installed them at all the affected corners. Were the signs really necessary?
Maybe... if the guys that maintain them have trouble telling the difference?

...Our state is pretty brilliant with it's finances. I always enjoy the Caltrans "Your Tax Dollars at Work" signs near road projects. Especially when, after you pass the sign, you see 3-5 guys standing around chatting and staring at a hole in the ground.