General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Q = How did you know the SuperHawk was the bike for you?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 04:34 PM
Sexual Daredevil
SuperSport

Location: Mother Earth- orbiting around Charlotte, NC. But now over the border in S.C.
motojoe is an unknown quantity at this point
Q = How did you know the SuperHawk was the bike for you?

How did you know that the SuperHawk was the bike you were going to buy?

What was a deciding factor?

What else were you looking at?
Old 02-04-2009, 04:43 PM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
I had narrowed it down to the VTR and the 900RR.

I was asking my friend Bob about it, because I hadn't heard a lot about them and hadn't seen many on the road. He said "The VTR is a highly underrated motorcycle, but the people who have them, love them."

Then I asked him for a performance comparison with a 900RR. He said something like "The 900RR will definitely have more top end, but for anything below 100 MPH, the VTR is faster."
Old 02-04-2009, 04:49 PM
Super Byrd
Superstock

Byrdman is on a distinguished road
My dad bought one and he let me take it for a ride. I loved the bike every since. I almost bought a sv1000, but glad I didn't
Old 02-04-2009, 05:00 PM
Superstock

HRCVTR1000 is on a distinguished road
The sound , and when the front wheel came up on the test ride ! Plus its a Honda
Old 02-04-2009, 05:07 PM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
I had a Hawk GT for about 16 years. I really liked that bike. I'd had it since new and it was in beautiful shape. It got to the point though where I was more concerned about throwing it down the road than enjoying it.
I read about the VTR in a number of magazines. All of the reviews were favourable. The VTR's competition was the TL1000S. I decided against the Suzuki because I didn't think anyone knew much about rotary shocks and the VTR looked a lot better in my opinion. I bought my VTR slightly used. It had about 1,400 km. on it. It's been a fabulous, reliable, versatile bike. I don't want anything else.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:24 PM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
Had never even heard of the SuperHawk but my bike of the last 20 years (CX500Turbo) went into a coma. Spent the first summer since I was 18 without a bike. Knew I was hooked on torque (truly a boost junkie) so started looking at used Ducs. Came within an inch of picking up a virtually new '02 900 monster, but took a last look through Craigs list and saw the Shawk for less than 2/3 the price and also pristine.
Went to look at it and then let it sit there over a month as life got in the way. Called the owner 6 weeks later. Bike was still there an he accepted $500 less. Seemed like destiny.
Got to ride it for a month and a half and now I am buying her gifts and waitin on spring....
Old 02-04-2009, 05:31 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
I'd been riding a BMW R100RS for 15 years, and wanted a modern sport bike with better brakes and handling than the Beemer. The CBRs and RC51 on the floor had too much forward lean for me, but I took home a brochure. That was my intro to the VTR, a photo and two paragraphs in the brochure. Reasonable riding position and gobs of torque. I hadn't even seen one, but I wanted one. I had to give the dealer a $500 deposit before they would get one. They didn't want to get stuck with it. I got it for list price out the door.

That was August '05. I've got over 25,000 miles on it now. It renewed my interest in riding, Big Time.

It's my 4th bike since 1981 with a total of 175,000 street miles.

Edit, 1/8/13: 67,498 miles on VTR, way over 200,000 street miles.

Last edited by VTRsurfer; 01-08-2013 at 03:47 PM. Reason: add to post
Old 02-04-2009, 05:49 PM
SuperBike

Truckinduc is on a distinguished road
I dont know, cause I havent ridden it. But I love the power of my ducati and A couple other v2's so im sure ill like it.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:55 PM
SuperBike

Truckinduc is on a distinguished road
ive got 900rr front and rear.

Im not particularly happy with the 16, BUT I bent my stock ducati 17 incher, then I bent the replacement wheel 2 times in 1 ride.

Im thinking the half inch extra cushion might be to my advantage.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:00 PM
ole dirty bastard
SuperSport

hawxter996 is an unknown quantity at this point
i had an 89 hawk gt,lord only knows why i was punished and let that bike go.
wanted another twin,looked at ducati but all the maintainance reminded me of
my old suzi 600 kat.
what a steaming pile!
well anyway back in early 98 i saw a shawk on the showroom floor.
sweet ITALIAN RED! wasnt until august 31st 2001 that i was able to
pick up a 2000 with custom paint ,and get this!

less than 400 mi. i put about 15,000 mi. on it and started "modding madness"
Old 02-04-2009, 06:07 PM
geezer
SuperSport
SuperSport

oahu hawk is on a distinguished road
I had always liked the looks of the bike and when ran across '98 with 7K on the clock in '02, I took a test ride and scooped it up...

Last edited by oahu hawk; 02-04-2009 at 07:19 PM.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:04 PM
Back Marker

j_frank is on a distinguished road
The dealer I worked at had 2 special ordered in 98 and got to ride one
during the prep, wanted one ever since...finally got mine a couple years ago.2003 new in 2006 for a sweet deal (dealer/factory left over)
Old 02-04-2009, 07:09 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
I sat on one in a dealer's used bikes lot. We were there to buy 4-wheeler parts. I rocked it between my thighs and couldn't believe how well behaved the bike was. That began my learning curve.

Then my son got interested in bikes. I was "shadowing" his shopping when I found my Superhawk. The owner was a motivated seller under wife's orders. I wasn't out to offend this guy but if I was going to ride again it was going to be on my terms. I offered those terms and he agreed.

The looks and the sound sealed the deal. It sat in the shop for a month while I waited for my slot to come up with MSF. I was the second top student - a kid less than half my age was first. Since then I have been impossible to stop and hard to catch.

Last edited by nuhawk; 02-04-2009 at 07:11 PM.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:19 PM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

j shizzy wizzy is on a distinguished road
I found mine on Craigslist. a cool guy in his 50's bought it new put 500 miles on it, and realized it was too uncomfortable. He also had 2 Sick BMW dualsports. So I bought mine for 5k cash with a 3M clear bra, helibars, radar mount, w/ only 500 miles! Great deal in my eyes!! Of course when i first saw it I loved it, I knew there were very few on the road, I had a general Idea of the power output of the V-twin, I sat on it and realized how low its center of gravity was which made me even more comfy, my legs fit the tank perfectly and didn't poke on the inside of my knees like other bikes, then of course THE SOUND! I was sold!
Old 02-04-2009, 07:42 PM
Squid

Dano is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by motojoe
My friend let me ride his '98, the next day I bought my own. :-) I had been researching for a few months and knew it was the bike I wanted. I really wanted something with a v-twin engine, but of all the friends who had Buells in the past, none of them would buy one again or suggest to me to buy one.

Reliability, parts availability, low cost of ownership and low initial purchase price used.

Buell XB12, Ducati Monster, VFR800
Old 02-04-2009, 07:43 PM
Superstock

steve.g is on a distinguished road
Always wanted a sporty twin,the way they make power is addicting.My baby came my way last year.After riding it "I made him an offer he couldn't refuse!" The fact that it was in poor shape helped with the price and the rest is history....
Old 02-04-2009, 08:05 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
It's the last of the Mohican's. Every motorcycle from here on out will have complicated fuel injection with tons of emissions B.S. stuffed under the air box.
Plus... it's a v-twin! The ultimate motorcycle engine configuration in it's simplest form. It's a joy to work on compared to a lot of the newer bikes. (See: Valve adjustment '02 and up VFR800)

Over the past 2 years I've owned, worked on and ridden over 100 different motorcycles and in my eyes the VTR beats them in every aspect. It may not have the best suspension, the most powerful motor, or the lightest weight... but it is a great compromise between them.

Last edited by inderocker; 02-05-2009 at 09:42 AM.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:19 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
I'd been thinking about a VTR since they came out but at the time I had a good bike and didn't want to spend the money.

Came close to buying a leftover naked SV1000 in '04. Local dealer was dumping them for $5700 out the door. Wanted to pay cash and before I got the money together they were all gone.

Got serious again a few months later. I thought about getting an FZ1, but the VTR won out on sound and slimness.

Way back when I remember swapping rides on friends CB500-550-750 when I still had my TX500 and Norton. I'd be thinking "why would anybody want this? Riding around bow legged with a two and a half foot wide breadbox between their shins?"

Inline fours have slimmed down a lot since then but I still prefer a twin or a V4.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:08 PM
MotoGP

[quote=RK1;198851] "why would anybody want this? Riding around bow legged with a two and a half foot wide breadbox between their shins?"quote]

I just got involved in a fucked up ZX9r deal and you wouldn't believe how it stacks up against the Superhawk. The VTR is half the size of this tank - both height and width. The VTR might be heavier but the ZX is WIDE and tall. I can put my foot flat on the ground on my Superhawk. I'm on my tips on the zx. It runs a stock 190 in the rear. We put fresh rubber on the bike (Pilot Roads 2c) and it feels reallllly squirrly while it's cold. We also did forks, front pads and huge amount of cleanup. I've never been a real Kawi fan and this one comes in Kawi limegreen and I got one of those Roger Penske things about green on vehicles.

One day soon I will have the guts to drive it out of here. See what it's really got or not.

People will be totally shocked. "Look, it's the red-raider but he's on a green bike? WTF"
Old 02-04-2009, 09:48 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=nuhawk;198859]
Originally Posted by RK1
"why would anybody want this? Riding around bow legged with a two and a half foot wide breadbox between their shins?"quote]

I just got involved in a fucked up ZX9r deal and you wouldn't believe how it stacks up against the Superhawk. The VTR is half the size of this tank - both height and width. The VTR might be heavier but the ZX is WIDE and tall. I can put my foot flat on the ground on my Superhawk. I'm on my tips on the zx. It runs a stock 190 in the rear. We put fresh rubber on the bike (Pilot Roads 2c) and it feels reallllly squirrly while it's cold. We also did forks, front pads and huge amount of cleanup. I've never been a real Kawi fan and this one comes in Kawi limegreen and I got one of those Roger Penske things about green on vehicles.

One day soon I will have the guts to drive it out of here. See what it's really got or not.

People will be totally shocked. "Look, it's the red-raider but he's on a green bike? WTF"
Nuhawk;

Don't know what year you got there, but the '98 and later Ninja nines actually weigh the same within 3 or 4 pounds, as the VTR. And they're light and skinny compared to '70s and '80s I-4s. That said, they seem to me like wide bodies compared to my VTR.

If you have to have an 8 or 10 year old open class I-4 sportbike, that's probably the most comfortable one but yeah, I'd rather have it in primer gray than that Kawi green.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:12 PM
MotoGP

Thanks, Rand! It's a 2k model. Lime green that would turn three generations of the Penske family over in their graves, 12k miles, good to not quite excellent condition. I must admit I have never been a Kawasaki fan - about any of their bikes. They just don't make it for me. Suzuki and Yamaha are in my bank. Honda is my main ride. That's it.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:31 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by nuhawk
Thanks, Rand! It's a 2k model. Lime green that would turn three generations of the Penske family over in their graves, 12k miles, good to not quite excellent condition. I must admit I have never been a Kawasaki fan - about any of their bikes. They just don't make it for me. Suzuki and Yamaha are in my bank. Honda is my main ride. That's it.
I had a 2k model in dark purple as well. Definitely fast up top (as expected) but the bike still felt like a tank, especially when compared to the CBR929.
Attached Thumbnails Q = How did you know the SuperHawk was the bike for you?-zx9r-1-.jpg  
Old 02-04-2009, 11:01 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Dano

Buell XB12, Ducati Monster, VFR800
<rant>
XB12 - What a steaming pile of $%^! Nothing like stuffing some dated engine technology into an over-designed chassis. This is the old antic where engineers never had to work on the s.o.b., and it shows!
</rant>

You made the right choice!

Last edited by inderocker; 02-05-2009 at 09:42 AM.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:11 AM
Post Whore Junior
MotoGP

Cleveland is on a distinguished road
Let's get this thread back on track

I heard one go by my office, and got an instant woody.

The sound, price, and comfort.. equally.

Big brother.. RC51.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:20 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
I had been motorcycle-less for a couple of years and was eager to get back on two wheels. My last street mount having been an FZ750 (a bike with an addictive hit as the tach needle swung past 6,500 rpm), I decided to look into something with a more "mid-rangey" powerband (that would, I hoped, keep me honest and leave my driver`s licence less under threat). I did a lot of research and read a lot and finally settled upon the VTR as being the bike that best suited my requirements. I must admit that my first ride left me somewhat disappointed as the rush I had grown to love on the FZ was nowhere to be found. However, over time, I grew more familiar with the big-inch torque pull, and of course began modding it, and am now extremely happy with my Firestorm. I got to work as editor of a bike magazine for a short period recently and got to sample some neat stuff (Bandit 1250, KTM RC8, Ducati 1098S and 848, Honda Varadero and CBF1000, entire Victory lne-up, BMW R1200, F650GS, and GS1200,...) and must say that my VTR fares extremely well against the newer stuff.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:53 AM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
I had a cb 450 inline twin that I learned on and after a few years I knew I enjoyed twisties the most so I began looking for a good sportbike. The cbr 600rr's and gsxr's r6's all looked the same to me and all performed nearly the same and it seemed like every other sportbike I saw was on of those. I didnt care if I had the fastest bike, I like to be different so I was looking for something a little less common but not so rare parts would be hard to find parts. I was also looking at the buell xb12r and that was what steered me towards vtwins, naturally I eventually ran into comparos with the superhawk. I also couldn't get past 1200cc producing less hp than the superhawk. So I then began more research on the hawk, a month or so later the superhawk ended up on motorcyclcists' top ten best bangs for your buck. So I decided to go shopping and check them out. The rest is history but I must say once I heard the bike it was a done deal. I love my hawk its the perfect bike for me.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:08 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
"I also couldn't get past 1200cc producing less hp than the superhawk."

that's what 1950's technology gets you.... I could never relate to how Erik Buell ever considered being taken seriously so long as he had to resort to Harley`s boat anchor/paint mixer engines to power his bikes. He at long last has a powerplant worthy of being found in a sportbike with the new Rotax 1125...
Old 02-05-2009, 08:33 AM
Superstock

pigwings
Previous bike Hawk GT. Wanted to stay with the v-twin. Happy happy joy joy
Old 02-05-2009, 08:45 AM
Superstock

kmm996
I owned a 1990 Hawk GT for two seasons 1994-1995. Sold it to play with minitrucks. Decided to get a SuperHawk in 2000 after I got married. We met on the Hawk. Wainted another Vtwin Honda, and loved the VTR since it came out in 1997. Bought mine on April 23, 2000, and could not be happier.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:50 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

FL02SupaHawk996 is on a distinguished road
I can sum it up in 1 word...TORQUE!
RC

Quick Reply: Q = How did you know the SuperHawk was the bike for you?