OK, so what did you almost buy...?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 06:08 PM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

CrankenFine is on a distinguished road
OK, so what did you almost buy...?

...before choosing a Superhawk.

In my case it was first a Ducati 696. Loved the looks & performance, thought I'd love the light weight in our hilly Western PA terrain. But on the test ride a section of expressway felt like the bike was getting pushed all over the road by passing trucks.

Next closest was a Harley XR1200 to my surprise. I have never been attracted to the brand but this is unique in their lineup. It was pretty close to the Superhawk for roll on grunt- i.e. "shifting is optional" at any rev above 2000. But issues discussed on the forum made me wonder about long term maintenance headaches so I bailed even though you can get great deals on these used.. not too popular in the U.S., very popular in Europe.
Attached Thumbnails OK, so what did you almost buy...?-july-2010-mc-sale-013.jpg   OK, so what did you almost buy...?-img00013.jpg  
Old 04-06-2011, 06:18 PM
Superstock

archaicguy is on a distinguished road
I was totally set on a CBR 1000F Hurricane for 2 years and was well prepared to go cross country to get one that I liked if I needed to. When I would do a search on Craiglist and Ebay under 1000F some bike I had never heard of would pop up. Hmmmm I thought that looks interesting and after plenty of research my need for a Hurricane became a need for a Hawk. I'm lovin where I'm at right now too and have no regrets.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:28 PM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

Originally Posted by archaicguy
I was totally set on a CBR 1000F Hurricane for 2 years and was well prepared to go cross country to get one that I liked if I needed to. When I would do a search on Craiglist and Ebay under 1000F some bike I had never heard of would pop up. Hmmmm I thought that looks interesting and after plenty of research my need for a Hurricane became a need for a Hawk. I'm lovin where I'm at right now too and have no regrets.
Yeah, I guess that's how I stumbled onto Superhawks too. Looking for Ducati's on Craigslist and they'd just pop up once in while during price range searches.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:40 PM
SuperSport

98VTRrider is on a distinguished road
Last spring I was on the fence between a VFR750 and the VTR. I was really drooling over the pear white mid 90's VFR. I had ridden a VTR the summer before so I knew what it was like. Had never riden a VFR but everyone I talked to said I would quickly get tired of the performance of the VFR, or the lack thereof. Was watching craigslist and my VTR came up, it's actually on here back in the craigslist ads post, long before I was a member

needless to say I'm VERY glad I made the right decision last spring
Old 04-06-2011, 06:46 PM
SuperSport

1971allchaos is on a distinguished road
To answer the question - Would be, That i had considered buy a CBR1100xx.. Yet, At the time of this choice surfaced, I owned a 2003 RC-51 in 2006 , bought it from the orginal owner.. Got married in 2009- and the wife had "No" where comfortable to ride(TRIED to explain to her that there was "no" comfortable place to ride on the RC51) Could not bring myself to tolerate an in-line 4 engine for a touring/or sport touring bike... So the 2001 S-hawk was the answer..

Last edited by 1971allchaos; 04-06-2011 at 06:59 PM.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:00 PM
Squid

jonnyd is on a distinguished road
Went to a dealership in 2007 to look at a VFR as it seemed like the right blend of everything I wanted. I didn't quite fit it right, and was hesitant at a 10k+ bike. Guy showed me an overstock 2003 hawk and I fell for it. Twin was where it was at for me!

After the hawk was totalled, I went back and compared an RC51 and another VFR, no choice really in the matter. V-twins are where it's at! Chose the RC because it was about the same price as a different hawk I was looking at, after slapping on 2k worth of mods. Still kinda miss the hawk.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:29 AM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
i almost bought an 09/10 flat black r1 the other day. i was getting gaskets and a filter for my bike and its been sitting at the dealership for ever, marked down something like 6 grand off the original price. if it wasnt for this wedding thing in june, honey moon in september, and the big one, buying a bigger house after the honeymoon id have gone for the financing. but common sense kicked in and said, uchi, if you have a newer truck and a new bike youre paying for, the bank might not give you as much money for a new house. so i think if its still there when we buy the house i may just get it then
Old 04-07-2011, 06:16 AM
Back Marker

Furrybiker is on a distinguished road
Having owned the GPz for ever, I wanted a change, I knew about V-twins as my wife and various friends had owned Moto Guzzis and Ducatis in the 80's. A friend is into Ducatis now but whenever we talked he always had them in bits, so that cut the choice down to SV1000 or a Storm. The SV forum had a "What fell off your bike today?" section and that together with the build quality made my mind up for me!
Old 04-07-2011, 06:47 AM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
I was looking at the Superhawk, the 919 and the VFR back in '05 when I was ready to buy a new bike. I always liked the v-twins and since the dealer had this '02 with only 56 miles on it for a decent price I decided on the SH - very happy with my decision
Old 04-07-2011, 06:59 AM
Stiff Member
Back Marker

turbotim is on a distinguished road
I was in love with the 919 hornet but it was a little out of my price range. I sat on one at a bike show and it felt too small. Almost traded the hawk for a sv1000. Decided to be happy with what I have. Can't complain. Tim
Old 04-07-2011, 08:44 AM
Superstock

nekkid is on a distinguished road
My last bike before the hawk was a 2000 Suzuki SV 650. I almost bought a new SV 1000 but I didn't like the angular look of the second generation SV's.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:35 AM
Squid

b1m3x8 is on a distinguished road
I orginally wanted an RC51, but my wrists and wallet wouldn't allow it.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:03 AM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

Originally Posted by RickB
I was looking at the Superhawk, the 919 and the VFR back in '05 when I was ready to buy a new bike. I always liked the v-twins and since the dealer had this '02 with only 56 miles on it for a decent price I decided on the SH - very happy with my decision

I grew up in Buffalo. Here's my Buffalo motorcycle story. I beat the daylights out a Honda CL175 (my first bike) back in the early '70s riding around the hills south of Buffalo. Rode down a dark, steep unfamiliar hill there once at night pretty fast and before I knew it, I hit a railroad crossing (short section of bumpy dead level pavement before continuing steep downgrade) and performed a completely unplanned "Evil Kinevil" flight. Scared the crap out of myself but landed safely. It took me to the bottom of the hill to even figure out what had happened. It was a "count your blessings" kind of moment I will never forget.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:20 AM
Back Marker

ninjagoalie is on a distinguished road
my last bike was an '84 Interceptor and I really liked that bike, but it was not in great shape and I sold it. Had a 750 Sabre too that I liked. The Hawk was amongst 2 other bikes I was looking at a few months ago and I just liked the looks and potential of it over the Katana and ZX7 I saw.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:40 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Well for me it was a choice between a SH and a Moto Guzzi Sport 1100.

OK, so what did you almost buy...?-guzzi-left-side.jpg

But I've been a V-Twin guy for a long time.....
Old 04-07-2011, 11:09 AM
SuperSport

PUSHrod is on a distinguished road
Winter of '97 and a friend gave me his Duc 900 SS for a day. Small, cute, moved real good and made all the correct noises, and it was time to replace the airhead Beemer. But. . .

Honda and Suzuki had just released Vee twins. Much more grunt than the Duc, simpler maintenance, better finish. The Suzuki fell down on the issue of the rear shock, a circular damper of all things, never would be an aftermarket unit.

VTR it was. Still is. But now with Moriwaki pistons and cams etc, etc, etc.

90 degree V-twin, liquid cooled. Visceral sensations during the ride. Can't get it elsewhere for the money. Moto LTR dontchaknow.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:48 AM
Superstock

bass4dude is on a distinguished road
Started off on a cb750k, and had a lot of fun in the twisties around here and got some gawks at Alices (I'm sure most of the bayarea guys know it) as it was showroom with like 7k on the clock.

Had big versions of the sabre and magnas, the sabre scared the crap out of me because it was like 6' tall and the magna died of old age (R.I.P one of the most comfy touring bikes with a lot of grumph).

I have clone '84 Vf1000F (interceptors) that I am madly in love with and they are my daily riders (one is down due to an accident) and one is in stock trim, the other is going to be a streetfighter with a lot of aftermarket goodies on it =) Now with 36k and 64k on the clocks I decided I wanted to get something that I wouldn't feel so terrible putting miles on because finding normal wear parts for an '84 can be somewhat challenging so I was hunting CL for a long time.

I knew how much fun inlines were but I love the sound and the pull of the v4s so I was looking for a happy medium of power, and handling.

The list was long but I had it narrowed down between a '98 Daytona 995i, RC51, Aprillia RSV or an SV1000. A buddie of mine had a SH that he was selling and I tested it and fell in love. The rest is history, but now she sits in my workshop in pieces

I am very happy with my purchase I just want to ride her!
Old 04-08-2011, 08:36 AM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
Whoa, that sure could have turned out badly.... My first beast was a $50 '73 CB500F, I put it through its paces and it handled them well...

Originally Posted by CrankenFine

I grew up in Buffalo. Here's my Buffalo motorcycle story. I beat the daylights out a Honda CL175 (my first bike) back in the early '70s riding around the hills south of Buffalo. Rode down a dark, steep unfamiliar hill there once at night pretty fast and before I knew it, I hit a railroad crossing (short section of bumpy dead level pavement before continuing steep downgrade) and performed a completely unplanned "Evil Kinevil" flight. Scared the crap out of myself but landed safely. It took me to the bottom of the hill to even figure out what had happened. It was a "count your blessings" kind of moment I will never forget.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:09 AM
SuperSport

zmaniv is on a distinguished road
Already wanted a hawk kind of fell in love with it in 99 but I had a cbr and couldn't justify the new bike purchase. Totaled cbr in 2003 wife at the time said no more bikes. New job 5 years ago 130 plus miles a day round trip. Decided it was time to pull the hammer and get a bike again. First one Superhawk. So damn glad I did
Old 04-08-2011, 11:16 AM
Squid

mrmhrm9598 is on a distinguished road
I was looking for either a early to mid 90's VFR or a NT650 Hawk when I came across my Superhawk. I bought it to replace my 84 VFR. Now I want a Ducati ss1000 to add to the stable.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:38 PM
Light Cycle Expert
Back Marker

tomzxt is on a distinguished road
I was originally looking to buy another Datsun Z car to add to my collection when I found the Superhawk ad. I've owned all Suzukis before this, last one being a 2006 Hayabusa 1300cc.I thought I'd give another make a chance. Honda is really the only other choice there is After I paid for it the ride home made me realize I made the right decision.
Old 04-09-2011, 05:36 AM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

Originally Posted by tomzxt
I was originally looking to buy another Datsun Z car to add to my collection when I found the Superhawk ad. I've owned all Suzukis before this, last one being a 2006 Hayabusa 1300cc.I thought I'd give another make a chance. Honda is really the only other choice there is After I paid for it the ride home made me realize I made the right decision.
I am very curious how it compares to the Hayabusa? I'd be afraid to swing a leg over one of those knowing its reputation.
Old 04-09-2011, 05:46 AM
Superstock

Mattaua is on a distinguished road
My previous bike was a pre 98 suzuki Katana 600, I almost had myself talked into a 2001 Katana 750 until I found my 98 SH for $100 less.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:27 AM
Light Cycle Expert
Back Marker

tomzxt is on a distinguished road
Arrow

Originally Posted by CrankenFine
I am very curious how it compares to the Hayabusa? I'd be afraid to swing a leg over one of those knowing its reputation.
It's hard to compare the two. They are very different bikes.

Super hawk is a "Standard" class bike. Weighing in at a dry weight of 423, 110hp, and 71 torque with its V2 engine. The handling and overall size resembles it's sportsbike counterpart. Range is limited to around < 180 miles per tank given optimal situations. Top stock speed is limited to 158mph.

The Hayabusa is a "Sports Touring" bike. Weighing in at a dry weight of 533(563 wet), 162hp, and 97 torque with an I4 engine. Handling anything but a straight line is a challenge on this machine. There are two kind of ways a bike handles. You either have to push it into a corner or pull it up from falling. This is one that you have to pull up from falling. As its weight is about 100lbs heavier than most other bikes that's not easy. Its size does not help it either with the wheel base and width. Even with the negative cornering you forget all about it when you are in a straight line. The powerful I4 pulls and NEVER stops pulling until you let off the throttle. The powerband on this machine is the whole tach! It was once described as a run away freight train. They were right, believe me. Range is > 225 miles given optimal situations. Top stock speed is 189mph with a limiter. Mine was disabled to give me the 220mph stock that it is capable of. MPG isn't a problem. I once took a trip full out for 45 minutes and was getting 28mpg @ 205mph.

Hope that's the comparison you were looking for.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:37 AM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

It's hard to compare the two. They are very different bikes.

Super hawk is a "Standard" class bike. Weighing in at a dry weight of 423, 110hp, and 71 torque with its V2 engine. The handling and overall size resembles it's sportsbike counterpart. Range is limited to around < 180 miles per tank given optimal situations. Top stock speed is limited to 158mph.

The Hayabusa is a "Sports Touring" bike. Weighing in at a dry weight of 533(563 wet), 162hp, and 97 torque with an I4 engine. Handling anything but a straight line is a challenge on this machine. There are two kind of ways a bike handles. You either have to push it into a corner or pull it up from falling. This is one that you have to pull up from falling. As its weight is about 100lbs heavier than most other bikes that's not easy. Its size does not help it either with the wheel base and width. Even with the negative cornering you forget all about it when you are in a straight line. The powerful I4 pulls and NEVER stops pulling until you let off the throttle. The powerband on this machine is the whole tach! It was once described as a run away freight train. They were right, believe me. Range is > 225 miles given optimal situations. Top stock speed is 189mph with a limiter. Mine was disabled to give me the 220mph stock that it is capable of. MPG isn't a problem. I once took a trip full out for 45 minutes and was getting 28mpg @ 205mph.

Hope that's the comparison you were looking for.
Thanks for sharing the detailed comparison. I suppose it confirms my general sense of the Hayabusa. I feel no shame or embarassment stating that machine is far beyond my needs for exhilaration, and I think beyond my capacity to ride safely. I think the SHawk will be plenty of machine for me for quite awhile. Still it's impressive to know something that powerful exists, and there are people who can actually manage that!
Old 04-10-2011, 09:50 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
=
Super hawk is a "Standard" class bike.
Only problem with this is that Honda sold the SH as a Sports-Touring bike not a Standard.....