General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

how much is too much?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 12:01 PM
Squid

Gtrain00 is on a distinguished road
how much is too much?

Hello everyone
as you can tell i a new to this site, but fell in love with it as soon as i found it. for once a site where people dont ridiculously price their bikes.

But my question is how much power is too much, i am looking to upgrade from a 400cc. Is the jump to a 1000cc superhawk too much( keeping in mind i ride to ride, not to pop wheelies)

Thanks for any input
Old 01-12-2009, 12:07 PM
ole dirty bastard
SuperSport

hawxter996 is an unknown quantity at this point
what bike you have now?

you should be ok. just be careful grabbing a handfull of throttle in lower gears.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:30 PM
jonesey
Squid
Squid

jonesey is on a distinguished road
I've never subscribed to the thinking of 'easy does it' by going 250,400,600,1000 etc,
i think that you should only spend the money once and then learn to ride.
The vtr is a superb all rounder, which is happy to go through town, twisties and occasionally be a complete hooligan.
Go for it and enjoy.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:43 PM
ole dirty bastard
SuperSport

hawxter996 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by jonesey
I've never subscribed to the thinking of 'easy does it' by going 250,400,600,1000 etc,
The vtr is a superb all rounder, which is happy to go through town, twisties and occasionally be a complete hooligan.
Go for it and enjoy.

or learn to die.

something cheap and easy 1st,then what ever you desire after you develop skills.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:46 PM
Squid

yeah something cheap and easy is what i had( just sold it) 1991 suzuki bandit- super fun but definantly ready for something bigger, but thanks everyone for the input. I am also looking at some sv 650's .. or maybe just go to a straight crotch rocket.

The superhawk is very appealing though
Old 01-12-2009, 12:54 PM
Back Marker

bundleofgrundle is on a distinguished road
My VTR is the first bike i've ever owned and i'm still here and have all my limbs. I didn't have a dirtbike background or anything like that. the only real experience i had before getting my rig was putting around on friends bikes in parking lots. if you're a prudent, heads up person, that knows your limits you should be fine on a superhawk.

...just my $.02
Old 01-12-2009, 01:03 PM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by bundleofgrundle
My VTR is the first bike i've ever owned and i'm still here and have all my limbs. I didn't have a dirtbike background or anything like that. the only real experience i had before getting my rig was putting around on friends bikes in parking lots. if you're a prudent, heads up person, that knows your limits you should be fine on a superhawk.

...just my $.02
I agree.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:04 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
If you are going to start out with a liter bike the VTR is a good one to choose.

I learned on a briggs powered mini dirt bike at a real young age and the only real difference is that if you freak and peg the throttle accidentally on one of them you crash at 15mph and get some scrapes. (and I saw plenty of my friends do just that on that bike) But if you do the same thing on any full size street bike you can do a lot more damage.

But if you can keep cool and remember what does what, any bike will only go as fast as you drive it.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:05 PM
jonesey
Squid
Squid

jonesey is on a distinguished road
My first bike was an R6 and i am still in one piece, but i appreciate what you're saying hawxter, each to their own right? I suppose you've got to be comfortable and confident with what you're doing, if you can't relax or you're always scared of the bike you've bought, it is'nt going to be much fun.
Chris.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:12 PM
Squid

yeah i understand. but i am a responsible rider, i have seen too many idiots around my town with near misses.

Another thing- i have heard the superhawk is a very heavy bike. i am not completely sure what my buddy meant by it, he loves the bike but said it was heavy- anyone know what he means? or if he is full of crap?
Old 01-12-2009, 01:35 PM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
I still wouldn't call it heavy. A goldwing is heavy. Now compared to the latest 1000cc replica bikes its a bit portly about 40 to 60 pounds. You shouldn't notice too much though the hawk is ladylike in the slow stuff.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:09 PM
Honducati
SuperSport

jbaxx is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by cornandp
I still wouldn't call it heavy. A goldwing is heavy. Now compared to the latest 1000cc replica bikes its a bit portly about 40 to 60 pounds. You shouldn't notice too much though the hawk is ladylike in the slow stuff.
Compared to my 1000cc race replica, it feels light moving around my garage/driveway, even though it weighs a tad more. Riding at a street pace any weight difference is negligible IMO.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:23 PM
MLB
Back Marker

MLB is on a distinguished road
Yep

Originally Posted by jonesey
Go for it and enjoy.

There are scads of dead rookie riders that totally agree with you!
Old 01-12-2009, 02:38 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
On any size of bike... You control the speed... If the bike is controlling the speed at any time... stop dismount drop the keys and walk away... Go find an exorcist, preacher or whatever...

Or my choiche, a shrink... Fix your head... Because there are times when you are out of control, but never ever when the bike is in control... Never happened, never will...

The VTR is a rather well behaved "big bike", not as scary as some others... Doesn't mean it can't bite you in the *** though... You can go to fast on a pedal driven bike if you try hard enough... On a VTR you won't need to try very hard...

If you put it on a scale it's heavier than a more modern bike, but it carries it well... It's well balanced and proportioned, rather nimble in corners for it's size... If you sit on it it doesn't feel heavy balancing it and moving it... If you ever drop it it might be another story though...

In the hands of a good rider it can put a twice as expensive bike to shame... But it's rather user firendly... torque, lots of it but linear power, it's not gonna explode underneath you... Well, not as long as you behave... Twist it hard and you get a response in kind...

If you keep your head in the game you will be fine...
Old 01-12-2009, 02:39 PM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Weight is a non-issue. This bike will acquit itself in just about any street setting. I have found that when I can't keep up with someone it's just because they're a bit better rider than me. (Damn, I hate saying that!)
Old 01-12-2009, 03:33 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
This is what happens when a newbie forgets what control does what:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QD59liIvD-g
(more funny than bad)

But if you are past that kind of mistake, and in a panic situation you react right, then it doesn't matter how big of a bike you have as long as you keep your head on straight.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:50 PM
Back Marker

jbeber is on a distinguished road
I went from an FZR400 to the SuperHawk and found the transition easy...you just have to exercise some restraint on the 1000 until you get to know it a little better.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:42 PM
Squid

lovin this forum, super responsive and helpful. but to the youtube video of the sv newbie. hahaa i am far beyond that point. If you are gonna get on a bike and just run into a tree at 3 miles an hour... chances are you should just get off and call it a day.

Thanks to all responses
Old 01-12-2009, 05:22 PM
SuperSport

Hotbrakes is on a distinguished road
You will be happy with a Superhawk. Very neutral riding position, perfect motor, great sound...I could keep going. It is not heavy at all, especially compared to a RC51. I've owned many bikes before the 'Hawk, it was the first one perfect enough to teach me how to "ride". An SV650 would also be an excellent choice but Superhawks are cheaper.
Many will agree that these are the 3 best bikes ever made. Pure fun.
Name:  VFRSVVTRside.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  197.6 KB
Old 01-12-2009, 05:24 PM
SuperSport

Death Cattle is on a distinguished road
its going to depend on your experience really. my hawk is my first street bike and the first street bike ive ever ridden. ive been riding dirt bikes my whole like, but the hawk hasnt surprised my once yet.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:00 PM
Back Marker

g_clarke_2008 is on a distinguished road
This was my first bike and other than one little whoopsy due to the much talked about cold tire issue it has been an easy bike to ride and great to learn on.

Last edited by g_clarke_2008; 01-12-2009 at 06:01 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-12-2009, 06:45 PM
Superstock

steve.g is on a distinguished road
If you feel your ready to move up to a "bigger" bike,then the VTR is a good choice.I agree with Jonesy,its a great all rounder,not heavy and it has one of the BEST engines in all of biking. Also consider.... "If more is better,then too much should be just enough!"
Old 01-12-2009, 07:08 PM
Squid

hotbrakes: i love all three of those bikes. i may have considered an inteceptor, but from what i have seen they are the most expensive of the three, and also i like the looks of the hawk a little more. Kudos on the bikes though, very nice.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:05 PM
SuperSport

Hotbrakes is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Gtrain00
hotbrakes: i love all three of those bikes. i may have considered an inteceptor, but from what i have seen they are the most expensive of the three, and also i like the looks of the hawk a little more. Kudos on the bikes though, very nice.
True, the VFR is considerably more. But if you ever want to do some touring by motorcycle, I highly recommend it. In September I rode it to coast to coast.

L8RGYZ- its ok to feel that way. You're faster than most and faster than most of us will be at your age.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:38 PM
JAMES
Superstock
Superstock

Pimpsterbim1 is on a distinguished road
I went from a crf150(dirt) to the superhawk.. IMO as long as you know the basics and fundimentals or riding (and have common scence).. nothings too powerfull..