General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

How Much $ on Your Hawk ??

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 05:50 AM
Back Marker

aka Yamadog is on a distinguished road
How Much $ on Your Hawk ??

Man, I'm really needing to not add up all I have spent on the SuperHawk. Please tell me I'm not the only one who has lost his sanity and spent tons of cash making the Hawk exactly what I want. I'm like a Democrat in a ***** house or a Republican at a gun show. Someone, please make me stop...need an intervention over here!
Old 11-07-2009, 06:08 AM
Superstock

nekkid is on a distinguished road
No quicker way to kill a buzz than to over analyze it. With our bikes it's very easy to spend more on mods than the bike is worth.

"she's so fine, there's no tellin' where the money went..."
Old 11-07-2009, 06:13 AM
Destructive Tester
Superstock

bjorn toulouse is on a distinguished road
If you really want to make yourself crazy, tally up the time you've spent messin' with the bike, .........................and your hourly wage!

Rex
Old 11-07-2009, 06:13 AM
Superstock

Billzilla15 is on a distinguished road
no intervention needed, you, like me have it set in your mind exactly what you want and you'll do whatever it takes to make that happen

like nekkid said don't over analyze and when you do just remember how much fun it is to ride it and it makes it all worth it
Old 11-07-2009, 06:17 AM
Who are you?
SuperSport

Just_Nick is on a distinguished road
130 for TBR carbon slip-ons and a ti FP 1.1 jet kit.
Old 11-07-2009, 06:42 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Guy I used to work with spent 40k on a civic. An old friend spent 50k on a 5.0 mustang... Just the other day there is a well known race/streetcar that was for sale around here. It's a real '93 saleen-8 second car. He EASILY HAS to have over 100k in the car. It bid up to 16k on ebay...I'm not going to worry too much over a few grand into my superhawk. And if it really bothers you just keep the stock stuff and sell the extras if you ever sell the bike. I know everything I've bought for my bike I could resell for pretty much what I paid for it, even though I've already said that'll never happen and it's going to the grave with me. After all the money we spend on other bullshit in life you should be able to have a little fun and not have it worry you, I'm sure you work hard enough for it.

Last edited by captainchaos; 11-07-2009 at 06:45 AM.
Old 11-07-2009, 06:54 AM
Superstock

kmm996
Originally Posted by bjorn toulouse
If you really want to make yourself crazy, tally up the time you've spent messin' with the bike, .........................and your hourly wage!

Rex
No thank you. I know I spend way too much time on it. But, it's like therapy. And I'm way too **** when it come to the VTR being clean enough. When I clean it up, it's a 4-6 hour ordeal. If I can't see the relections of the wheels, pipes and frame in the pavement when I ride. It's not clean enough... And, I don't even want to think about the $ spent.
Just remember you can spend your money in way worse ways. You could drink it, burn it or snort it and probably never get the satifaction of twisting the throttle or adniring your creation...
Old 11-07-2009, 07:15 AM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
compared to buying and selling so you could have the latest/greatest bike every 2-3 years, making the SH just the way you want it is cheap. Over 9 years with a lots of mods AND the original purchase price, I still have less into it then the latest literbike would cost me once with zero mods: and its perfect for me and I've learned a lot about bikes working on it. Its still one of the best all around road bikes once set up.
Old 11-07-2009, 07:54 AM
Superstock

cameron is on a distinguished road
i only got probally 4,000$ in my hawk not counting tires, chains, and other maintenance. ive been tyring to bring myself to upgrade the suspension but damn 1200$ bones for a shock i dont know. now stiffer fork springs and oil is just maintenance so i can live with spending that money.
Old 11-07-2009, 08:39 AM
Destructive Tester
Superstock

bjorn toulouse is on a distinguished road
Just for added clarity, I was not referring to time spent on routine maintenance and cleaning. That is stuff you gotta do (the level of anality is a personal thing).

Sitting in the garage, adult beverage in hand, gazing at the bike while pondering the next upgrade/modification, does count! That is R&D time!

Rex
Old 11-07-2009, 09:33 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
I stopped counting when the price of parts alone exceeded the current value of a stock bike this age... That was a while ago...

Still, like cliby said, It's cheap compared to going out and buying a tricked out 1098R Factory or Aprilia RSV4... And lets face it... even then it would take me about 3-4 months to get the itch and start tearing stuff apart anyways...
Old 11-07-2009, 10:12 AM
SuperSport

SlowHAWK is an unknown quantity at this point
All I know is my RC front end is probably worth more than the rest of the bike it's attached too!!!!

If I tallied it up, I'd probably cancelled my Paypal and EBAY accounts, and sign off this site for good!!!

J.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:53 AM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
Don't feel bad. I bought my bike in august. And in the last month have sank close to 2 grand into it. Stuff I didn't plan on doing for a couple years but decided to get done so that I could just enjoy it for a few years to come without having to do any kind of winter wrenching.
Old 11-07-2009, 11:20 AM
Crash
Superstock

COLE is on a distinguished road
better than just wasting money but i tight wad so look alot buy rarely
Old 11-07-2009, 02:24 PM
JAMES
Superstock
Superstock

Pimpsterbim1 is on a distinguished road
I'v probably spent at least $1,100, not counting tires, chain, etc.. And thats mostly used parts. If I bought everything new I'd be looking at around double that.
Old 11-07-2009, 04:04 PM
Sexual Daredevil
SuperSport

Location: Mother Earth- orbiting around Charlotte, NC. But now over the border in S.C.
motojoe is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't pay retail, but even if I were to add up what I spent on my SH, I still spent a lot.
Old 11-07-2009, 04:24 PM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
yeah i got discounts on almost everything too. lol
Old 11-07-2009, 05:19 PM
Back Marker

aka Yamadog is on a distinguished road
Yeah! y'all are all right. I was out looking for what to do for mirrors today... I'll have to fab what I want unless I can find Shane's house
Old 11-07-2009, 05:54 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
For me it was easier to work backwards, pricewise, to a goal. I want a Ducati. Can't afford one.

But, I can do the forks $400. New Rear Shock $150 - Jamie. K&N $100. Pipes & Cans $400. New rubber $400. New front brakes $150. GT $1600.

If I can buy a well cared for VTR - CCT's done, basic jetting, maybe more for $3200 - I have my Ducati challenger in place for $4800.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:32 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by nekkid
No quicker way to kill a buzz than to over analyze it. With our bikes it's very easy to spend more on mods than the bike is worth.

"she's so fine, there's no tellin' where the money went..."
you would have to ask the wife. she's been keeping track. I think the current total is around $10K. but that is after a serious crash 3 days after buying it. and all the mods I've done since. while that might sound like alot, I haven't even finished the front end yet. so that total is still on its way up. but when you don't intend to ever sell the bike, then asking whether its worth it becomes kind of trivial.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:58 AM
Superstock

salmanilla2000 is on a distinguished road
I've accepted that my Hawk project is going to take time and money...All of it. But when people admire my bike, I'm like "Really, but it's not even half way done yet". Just imagine when it is done.
Old 11-09-2009, 02:30 PM
Back Marker

Karbon is on a distinguished road
meh. diff strokes for diff. folks. I enjoy riding the bike 10x more than modding it. I guess i'm lucky, i've got a tastefully modded SH to start with. All i'm concerned with is consumables and maybe new springs.

My interests are more go than show.
Old 11-09-2009, 02:53 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
My stuff was all go and believe me you don't wanna know!! I foolishly looked up what I spent on tires the 2nd year of doing track days, won't do that anymore less than one year $2500 in tires alone!!
Old 11-09-2009, 03:07 PM
Back Marker

Karbon is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by superhawk22
My stuff was all go and believe me you don't wanna know!! I foolishly looked up what I spent on tires the 2nd year of doing track days, won't do that anymore less than one year $2500 in tires alone!!
honestly though, knowing you spent $2.5 on tires and/or track time or riding in general and knowing you are a better and more skilled rider because of it is way more satisfying and worth it than getting a bunch of bolt-ons and looking cool at the local starbux.

Like a bajillion times more satisfying.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:20 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Mines all go... No show here... It gets washed and polished twice a year if it need to or not...

The rest of the time I just hose it of... And I ride rain or shine... Almost year round (I park it as soon as that pesky white & slippery stuff shows up...)
Old 11-09-2009, 03:30 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Karbon
honestly though, knowing you spent $2.5 on tires and/or track time or riding in general and knowing you are a better and more skilled rider because of it is way more satisfying and worth it than getting a bunch of bolt-ons and looking cool at the local starbux.

Like a bajillion times more satisfying.
2 true but somehow that doesn't satisfy the wife!
Old 11-09-2009, 03:53 PM
Squid

romile55 is on a distinguished road
I'm bout to deploy and my bike is going into the shop, got a nice list of things I wanna do: Single Sided Swingarm, Mario Nava Fairing painted white, CBR Forks, rearsets, exhaust and some other random stuff I'm really not sure yet, any other ideas. So I'm probaly about to spend alot of $$
Old 11-09-2009, 04:46 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
I try not to think about it, lol Fortunately, it has been spread out over many years, although this past year has been particularly costly (braced swingarm, powdercoating, Akra exhaust, velocity stacks, machined rear rotor, Pazzo-style levers, Hyperplates, Factory Pro detent arm, Jamie D shift lever machined to accommodate needle bearing, heim joints on shift linkage, ...). That being said, I took the day off to go riding (likely the last one of the year), put over 300 km and had a silly grin in my helmet the whole time because the end product is simply awesome!!!!!

Last edited by mikstr; 11-09-2009 at 04:50 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:19 PM
Superstock

Mike996 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by bjorn toulouse
Sitting in the garage, adult beverage in hand, gazing at the bike while pondering the next upgrade/modification, does count! That is R&D time!

I have literally gotten drunk while just looking at my bike in the garage. Grab a beer, stare at bike, repeat.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:36 PM
Back Marker

storm_rider is on a distinguished road
I've owned my VTR now for 10 years and have ridden it 56,000 miles. With the Yoshimura full system exhaust and cams, and Corbin seat - about 2.5 grand. Plus about a grand on major repairs - coolant pump seal, clutch kit and chain and sprockets. Also about 10 rear tires and about 5 front tires, that's about 3 grand in tires. Also a few sets of rear brake pads, about 200 bucks. And a couple of batteries, 200 bucks.

Just received the new cam chain tensioner lifters, valve shims and various gaskets - that's another 200 bucks.

So in total about 7 grand.

No further spending planned on accessories, totally happy with it.

Name:  VTR98.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  47.1 KB

Last edited by storm_rider; 11-09-2009 at 07:52 PM.

Quick Reply: How Much $ on Your Hawk ??