General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Hi Newbie - first post, binned it earlier....

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 05:02 PM
Squid

Surflop is on a distinguished road
Hi Newbie - first post, binned it earlier....

Oh what fun.

I've had a really fecking ***** week from last tuesday on. I've had to deal with a lot of **** the X was throwing at me about my kids.

This afternoon at around 3:30pm I went out on the Firestorm to post a letter to her, then onto the petrol station & onto the A1 to the City to see my best mate for a good chat.

I felt up for it and had planned to go out on the bike for a few hours prior and thought I was mentally prepared.

I'll try and keep it short - I went to overtake a few slow moving cars 'approaching' a corner on a down hill stretch - I'd suggest they were hitting 40, I had slowed down, loooked ahead and popped out up to say 55, I had good time to get back in past them all and in retrospect there was no real danger at all, I saw a car coming round the corner a good way off, the down hill aspect affords a view and In reality I had all the time in the world.

My mind just went gagga and I fixated on the car coming towards me, even though it was eons away and slowly accelerating up hill, there was no threat of hittin it at all. By the time I came to my senses it was too late to bomb it past the last car I was overtaking as I fluffed the gears and had backed off, I had no grunt - I just had a mental blank, I was all fingers thumbs and nipples when I had to find a way out. The second car had sped up and had his horn on, there was no way I could pull in without him clipping me.

Ahead of the right (UK ride on left) there was a exit/entrance to the pastures with a good wide entrance running to a large grass verge, it was full of gravel etc. I decided my best course of action was to head in a straight line for it and hit the anchors - rather soft verge than wall/car - I ended up running onto the verge and the bike simply fell on its left hand side as the front lost it and turned in. All my gear is fine, no knocks or bumps, I came to a stop crouching on the machine like a surfer. In retrospect I wasnt at all concerned, just wish it was a motox and not a twin side rad faired shiny bike

What a circus fluff it was.

Grabbed the bike and sat it up - God this is light I thought.

Indicator snapped, fairing and footrest/gear lever & mirror thick of clarts.

Took it to the path and lent it over on the side stand. All looked OK apart from the snapped indicator - the fall was really slow speed stuff.

I continued unphased to the garage, filled up then rinsed the machine down with the jet wash to inspect the damage. Hairline fracture in panel - all seemed ok - couldn't see any other damage.

Straight into the A1 and into the city.

Parked up at mates.

Then realised when fitting the disc lock that as the bike had cracked down on it's left side, it had pushed the fairing over on the right and it has snapped/cracked in two places on the right. R/H rad is OK. Left hand rad has a small 1" long slight knock in the fins of the rad but no lasting damage.

Everything happens for a reason. It's my first spill. I've never had a mental blank like that before and luckily I came to and found an exit - OK not the most ideal exit but given the circumstances it was my only way out and was a decision and I stand by it.

No point saying well I should have done this, could have done this or that or t'other. The reality is that I learned a lesson. Don't ride when stressed, even if you feel confident, it may be false confidence. I normally plan much further ahead.

On the way home I was getting knee down in the dark on bends and it was graceful and smooth as silk. Such a contrast.

I'm booking some advanced rider training and a track day to help me put it all behind me and I'm not getting back on the bike till all this **** with the X blows over.

Feckin X wives.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:24 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
Sorry to hear about the ex-wife-troubles. Too bad you can't just turn the key to OFF when you want to turn her off.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:22 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
I laid my hawk down in almost the same way. but mine had quite a bit more damage. needed all new fairings, subframe, left side controls, forks and frame were ok though. anyway, my wife hates it when I ride angry. I know its probably not smart, and I hardly ever do it, but nothing makes my anger and frustration disappear faster than just riding the hell out of it for about 20 minutes. safe? Hell no! Therapudic? Hell yes! once I'm that mad, very few things can chill me out. violence will work, but isn't very socially acceptable, and you don't always get a chance to crush the object of your frustration. but when I ride angry, nothing feels better than blowing by a pathetic waste of life (that comprises 99% of the illinois driving populace) at 110 and know that you made them just pee a little then the twisties, and the rocketing out of the last corner onto a straight that lets you flirt with 120...ahhhhh. I actually laugh out loud in my helmet from pure joy. I think of it as a mental health ride. does that make my hawk the shrink?
Old 03-07-2007, 05:16 AM
Squid

Surflop is on a distinguished road
cheers swordfish

I know where you are coming from, I do the same. That's the point of riding a bike, all the rest is just mundane.

I have a Hayabusa also so replace your 120 with 170 and you get the picture.

Anywayz - I've booked up a full day advanced training to see if I can deal with target fixation and avoidance of ditching it.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:58 AM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Note to self:
Stay off the road when these guys are doing their self-administered psychotherapy. HA Ha!

Surflop did you know there's an Alnwick in the US. Actually in Tennessee near one of the more notorious motorcycle roads in the world.
www.tailofthedragon.com