General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Harley makes the quickest production vehicle EVER.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 09:25 AM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by nekkid
For you to make this statement while Toyota is embroiled in this recall mess is curious. I remember the '70's and early 80's Honda cars being notorious for burning oil...early Toyotas that would rot out their rocker panels if you looked at them funny...Datsun/Nissans that would always have oily soot on their bumpers above the exhaust pipe...
I also remember my old '68 Mustang that ran strong and trouble free and if you did need parts, you could buy 'em for the change in your pocket.
As a loose generality, Japanese automotive products DO exhibit better "build quality" using captive fasteners and very few sheet metal screws.
"recall mess"(rattle my cage,haha): we really know very little to nothing about this problem other than what's been touted by a media that is uncredible, biased, controlled, skewed, and owned by corporations with agendas. Please don't tell me you still take their word for anything other than the weather or which movie star had an affair with whom. What we do know is the history and reputation of toyota and that is one of high repute. What you say is true about the early models, however toyota has continued to evolve to the top. I don't have a problem with mistakes if there are steps taken to correct these. It took many consumers a long time to realize the quality/cost comparisons with american manufacturers and gradually they have been converted. One of the reasons it took so long for americans to realize that they were wasting their hard earned dollars on lesser quality vehicles is the relatively short trade-in rate.
Spend $30,000 on any vehicle and trade it for another new one in 3-5 years and most vehicles will be great. Keep those same vehicles for 20-25 years, drive and maintain them equally, and you'll be able to separate the garbage from the treasure without reservation.

GM, Harley, Chrysler, Ford, etc.,along with the unscrupulous financials should have all gone by the wayside by this time if the system would have been allowed to do what it was supposed to do. Bailing out those who have not done their homework chronically in terms of doing what's right is similar to the parent who continually gets their kid out of trouble instead of teaching the important lessons that come with corrections and punitive measures. It's called learning to do the right thing. How long would any of us last as motorcyclists if we ignored or rationalized away mistakes made by us and others on the road. If we don't discipline ourselves to do our homework as riders, we usually pay the hard way.

I appreciate the attention to detail, quality, technology, and the relative cost that japanese manufacturers have given us over the last 50 years because they have and continue to raise the bar for all others foreign and domestic. Does anyone think that Ducati, Triumph or even the American auto makers, not to mention electronics, computers, etc., would have reached the heights they did without the high standards of products and practices of companies like Toyota and Honda, Sony and others?

I wish we as Americans could have been the ones who led others in these good ways, or at least were complicit in this evolutuion because we all lose as a culture, a society, and in terms of the future for us and those who follow.

That said, as soon as my Social Security check comes in, I'm gonna trade my SH for V-rod, and my toyota for one of them Chevys. hahahahaha
Old 02-24-2010, 12:40 PM
Superstock

nekkid is on a distinguished road
Don't lose hope, nath. I think America has the ability to rebound to great heights in the automotive field. Ford (especially the Focus) is well received, the quality of the current Cadillacs seems high, Corvette makes a world class supercar. Most of the models of foreign cars that have made an impact in this market are made here (Civic, Camry, etc.) Hyundai saw fit to invest in an American plant that employs local workers.
The current line of Harleys may be under-engineered, but they are probably the most reliable since the '40's. No leaks, cross country capable, good quality paint and welding. Harley's market wants what they want, and H-D delivers.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:08 PM
Back Marker

Red_Liner740 is on a distinguished road
Seen one of these run at the local strip. didnt know it was a "destroyer" until now...thought all the mods were done to the bike by the owner.

That thing is fed nitrous, only reason it makes that kinda power...
Old 02-24-2010, 02:43 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by nekkid
Don't lose hope, nath. I think America has the ability to rebound to great heights in the automotive field. Ford (especially the Focus) is well received, the quality of the current Cadillacs seems high, Corvette makes a world class supercar. Most of the models of foreign cars that have made an impact in this market are made here (Civic, Camry, etc.) Hyundai saw fit to invest in an American plant that employs local workers.
The current line of Harleys may be under-engineered, but they are probably the most reliable since the '40's. No leaks, cross country capable, good quality paint and welding. Harley's market wants what they want, and H-D delivers.
Thanks for the words of encouragement, but I'm a hard-***, so history will have to prove that what's been true over time has indeed changed. I hauled assembly line machinery on drop decks/double drops for many years to the all the major American automotive plants and have owned too many of their products for too many years and these experiences have taught me more than enough to judge thank you very much.

I'll defer to others with less baggage to do the experimenting with their pesos.

Last edited by nath981; 02-24-2010 at 03:53 PM.