General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Fuel consumption

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 12:24 PM
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike

Jack Flash is on a distinguished road
Fuel consumption

Friday afternoon, pretty slow on the forum, so I figure for ****'s 'N' giggles, what is your best and worst fuel consumption with your chicken.
Obviously, if your carb is stock like mine, you will have better gas mileage
then if it's not stock. As I previously said, for S 'N' G, doesn't really matter.

-Best for me 247km (155mi)
-Worst for me 84km (53mi)
Old 08-24-2012, 01:07 PM
aja
SuperSport

aja is on a distinguished road
I scared myself pretty bad when I came up on 140 miles out in the desert with no idea where the next gas station was. I finally found a pump, no attendant or building, just a pump. I was at 148. I've never got worse than 100 miles.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:05 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Jack Flash
Friday afternoon, pretty slow on the forum, so I figure for ****'s 'N' giggles, what is your best and worst fuel consumption with your chicken.
Obviously, if your carb is stock like mine, you will have better gas mileage
then if it's not stock. As I previously said, for S 'N' G, doesn't really matter.

-Best for me 247km (155mi)
-Worst for me 84km (53mi)
"53 miles" for 4.2 gal..........I never heard of such a thing. Someone stole your petrol boy, probably went in the neighbor's lawn mower.

I usually do 125 to 145.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:57 AM
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike

Originally Posted by nath981
"53 miles" for 4.2 gal..........I never heard of such a thing. Someone stole your petrol boy, probably went in the neighbor's lawn mower.

I usually do 125 to 145.

It's an honest story, where quite a few years ago (wasn't as smart as today) drove the bike pretty much open throttle for a ride that lasted close to an hour. Trust me, your not going to squeeze many more miles from the tank. God forbid anyone should try this, unless in a controlled environment.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:57 PM
MotoGP

It's an honest story, where quite a few years ago (wasn't as smart as today) drove the bike pretty much open throttle for a ride that lasted close to an hour. Trust me, your not going to squeeze many more miles from the tank. God forbid anyone should try this, unless in a controlled environment.
Against my better judgement, and because you're from Canookville, I'm gonna accept your explanation. But this is the last freebie.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:16 PM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
I'm not buying it Jack. I've ridden 45 minute stretches at near full throttle at too dark in the morning and still did better than ~12mpg. But, it's your story to tell.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:50 PM
SuperSport

matt365 is on a distinguished road
10% ethanol in our fuel in Canada. Might have had something to do with it.

unneccessarily big jets???
Old 08-26-2012, 07:40 PM
Squid

jdobeckj is on a distinguished road
Here in Phoenix AZ im Squeezing somewhere around 130-135 per tankful.... Ive pushed the beast a few times, Im a little wiser now.. that is a hefty push in 110 degrees outside.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:36 PM
aja
SuperSport

aja is on a distinguished road
If the ride was an hour, and if the ride was 53 miles, then you averaged 53 milesper hour. I don't see how it would be possible to burn through a full tank in one hour while averaging 53 miles per hour.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:47 AM
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike

Easy gentlemen, I never ment to insult anyone's intelligence with my story. My intentions were to have a light conversation on fuel consumption, and see what anyone has managed to squeeze out of thier gas tank.
Maybe your all right, my numbers don't add up. This is something I did roughly ten years ago, and maybe certain details escape me. After that high adrenaline ride along with the excitment, once at the gas pump, maybe I miss read the km on the gauge, maybe I started the ride with less fuel in the tank then I believed I had, or put less fuel then I rememeber puting in while refueling.
I simply stated the details I remember from this crazy ride.

Bottom line, just wanted to have fun with this thread...sorry I brought it up
Old 08-28-2012, 08:08 AM
Back Marker

kardiac996 is on a distinguished road
Ive gotten as low as 90 on a full tank. After purchasing from the PO I was like WTF opened my air filter to swap for a new OEM and found the whole thing filled with acorns. I was running super rich. After swap out i got back to 135.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:28 AM
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike

Originally Posted by kardiac996
found the whole thing filled with acorns. I was running super rich.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:51 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jdobeckj
Here in Phoenix AZ im Squeezing somewhere around 130-135 per tankful.... Ive pushed the beast a few times, Im a little wiser now.. that is a hefty push in 110 degrees outside.
Haha, yeah, pushing in Phoenix is a lesson learned fast! How are things going man?! There's another guy on here that wants to go ride when the weather get's a little cooler... maybe a quick one up south mountain or we could head out to Tortilla Flats...
Old 08-28-2012, 09:35 AM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

CrankenFine is on a distinguished road
I seem to average about 36-39mpg and typically get to 120 miles per tank before refilling. But I never wait for the little red bar to start flashing at me. We have too many hills here to push a bike up.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:51 PM
DudimusMaximus
Squid

Dudimusmaximus is on a distinguished road
My fuel light has been coming on at around 60 miles after filing the tank. Each time when I refuel it shows only 2.5 gallons or so consumed (topped off the fill each time). Thus, I figured it was a fuel gage issue so today I continued to roll even after the fuel light came on. Sure enough I ran out of fuel at 67 miles. What the hell? I have a 98 hawk with the standard 4.2 gallon tank.

A few questions/thoughts:
Something wrong with odometer (don't believe so the distances seem to be accurate)?
Why won't tank take 4.2 gallons if I just ran out of gas?
What are some issues to look into that would create fuel consumption in the 15 mpg range? (I was determining mileage to be around 25 mpg before this event)

I was told by previous owner of the fuel consumption issue with the Hawk: only 90 -120 mile range per tank of gas and best to plan on refueling every 90 miles, but 67 miles is ridonculous. Lastly, I ride pretty mellow, especially in comparison to a number of riders on the forum, and the bike runs well and is well maintained.

Thanks
Scott

Last edited by Dudimusmaximus; 09-01-2012 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Errors
Old 09-01-2012, 07:32 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Dudimusmaximus
My fuel light has been coming on at around 60 miles after filing the tank. Each time when I refuel it shows only 2.5 gallons or so consumed (topped off the fill each time). Thus, I figured it was a fuel gage issue so today I continued to roll even after the fuel light came on. Sure enough I ran out of fuel at 67 miles. What the hell? I have a 98 hawk with the standard 4.2 gallon tank.

A few questions/thoughts:
Something wrong with odometer (don't believe so the distances seem to be accurate)?
Why won't tank take 4.2 gallons if I just ran out of gas?
What are some issues to look into that would create fuel consumption in the 15 mpg range? (I was determining mileage to be around 25 mpg before this event)

I was told by previous owner of the fuel consumption issue with the Hawk: only 90 -120 mile range per tank of gas and best to plan on refueling every 90 miles, but 67 miles is ridonculous. Lastly, I ride pretty mellow, especially in comparison to a number of riders on the forum, and the bike runs well and is well maintained.

Thanks
Scott
2,5 gal for 67miles= 27mpg

somebody's hiding in your tank. Maybe you need to look in there with a lighted scope and see who it is. Could be you need to remove the petcock and check the screen.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:45 AM
Back Marker

ascothawk is on a distinguished road
137 mi. took 3.1 gal. = 44mpg
Old 09-02-2012, 01:21 PM
Squid

TJ91 is on a distinguished road
Honestly I was shocked when this happened to me too. Could be the ethanol too. But yes I got about the same doing a similar ride
Old 09-05-2012, 07:11 AM
Squid

tasum is on a distinguished road
I understand that changing the sprockets can affect the speedo, but would it also affect the odometer when using it to record distance travelled?

not sure if that's the problem for Dudimusmaximus, hope you don't find any acorns in your tank
Old 09-05-2012, 09:54 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Yes, it affects both... So you are usually covering less miles, at lower speeds than your gauges tell you...
Old 09-05-2012, 11:04 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by tasum
I understand that changing the sprockets can affect the speedo, but would it also affect the odometer when using it to record distance travelled?

not sure if that's the problem for Dudimusmaximus, hope you don't find any acorns in your tank
yes indeed. with 15/44 gearing and a 190/55 tire, mine shows 12 per hundred more miles than OEM. I typically run 130 miles to fuel lite(corrected about 115 actual) and add 3.5gal, so 32mpg average.

check your odometer and speedometer with interstate mile markers for a close approximation of actual figures.

Last edited by nath981; 09-05-2012 at 11:09 AM.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:07 AM
Superstock

blamecanada is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Erik S.
I'm not buying it Jack. I've ridden 45 minute stretches at near full throttle at too dark in the morning and still did better than ~12mpg. But, it's your story to tell.
I've done track days and emptied the tank in 20-30 miles...I'll believe his story...
Old 09-05-2012, 11:26 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by blamecanada
I've done track days and emptied the tank in 20-30 miles...I'll believe his story...
yeah valentino, but that's because you were leaned over so far the fuel was running out the overflow.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:48 PM
Superstock

zxbud is on a distinguished road
MPG

Best--46mpg
Worst-39mpg
Old 09-05-2012, 08:17 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by zxbud
Best--46mpg
Worst-39mpg
man you have to have an in-line 2 FI getting that kind of mileage. Let me borrow that thing for a couple tankfuls and i'll get that mileage back where it belongs.

best i ever got when i had OEM gearing was 37. Good looking hawk you got there zx.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:48 PM
Squid

Alterego is on a distinguished road
I use my Hawk to commute to work and it's a mix of city and highway. I usually see the gas light flashing at 90 miles. I feel like I should be getting better mileage than that.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:09 PM
SuperSport

twist is on a distinguished road
Easy gentlemen, I never ment to insult anyone's intelligence with my story. My intentions were to have a light conversation on fuel consumption, and see what anyone has managed to squeeze out of thier gas tank.
Maybe your all right, my numbers don't add up. This is something I did roughly ten years ago, and maybe certain details escape me. After that high adrenaline ride along with the excitment, once at the gas pump, maybe I miss read the km on the gauge, maybe I started the ride with less fuel in the tank then I believed I had, or put less fuel then I rememeber puting in while refueling.
I simply stated the details I remember from this crazy ride.

Bottom line, just wanted to have fun with this thread...sorry I brought it up
yer opened the box, I've seen some odd performance and had a few exciting moments myself so I ain't gonna challenge yer. I haven't had my bird long enough to have had any stories, yet. I am very paranoid about the fuel since a friend of mine had a hawk and advised me to keep an eye on the fuel. Sucks having such a small tank. I'm kinda toying with a few ideas tho.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:19 PM
SuperSport

twist is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CrankenFine
I seem to average about 36-39mpg and typically get to 120 miles per tank before refilling. But I never wait for the little red bar to start flashing at me. We have too many hills here to push a bike up.
+1, living in san francisco I do not want to push up hill. At least there is a down hill side too but seems like they never lead to a station. I am paranoid about it since running out of gas on a different bike on the golden gate during rush hour. I was in fear for my life. MUNI truck came to my rescue, gave me a gallon of gas and stayed behind me until I got it in the tank and started.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:46 PM
Superstock

zxbud is on a distinguished road
MPG

Originally Posted by nath981
man you have to have an in-line 2 FI getting that kind of mileage. Let me borrow that thing for a couple tankfuls and i'll get that mileage back where it belongs.

best i ever got when i had OEM gearing was 37. Good looking hawk you got there zx.

Thanks, Nath
I had a SV1000 that got better ridden the same conservative way I like to ride through the same territory. So it seems about right to me and as a matter of fact the 800 lb VTX 1800 below always returns 45 to 50 mpg on gasahol. I'm stunned but I'll take it.

Last edited by zxbud; 03-22-2013 at 08:27 PM.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:36 AM
Back Marker

Tebs is on a distinguished road
Funny you mention it, I acutally paid attention when filling up the last two times and got 35.45 mpg. Not bad but I was hoping to be closer to 40.

Quick Reply: Fuel consumption