General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

frame sliders??

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 08:24 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
Re: frame sliders??

Here is what they said...cost is AU$218.18 plus AU$29.00 for air mail postage. Delivery takes about ten days.....That is $185.31 US, with todays exchange rate....Kind of high, imo.... I have sent another e-mail to see if they will give me a better price if I buy multiple sets.... Anyone else interested in getting them, depending on the price?? I will post the results...?
Old 01-30-2006, 09:53 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Well, any amount over 4 sets only gets an additional 10% off....still too much for me....Anyone interested in getting them on there own, you can e-mail simon@kenma.com.au Simon Harris is the guy to talk to....
Old 01-30-2006, 11:16 PM
SuperBike

EngineNoO9 is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm getting the others...
Old 01-31-2006, 04:01 AM
Back Marker

HotStreetVTR

Web searches seem to yield nothing. (It didn't take manufacturers long to phase us out, heh?)

But, I know that Lightning Performance made them in the past and might still. At least, there should be back stock that can be accessed somehow.

I would try Marietta Motorsports (now known primarily as 1-888-fastlap). Call them at 1-888-fastlap, as I already looked, and their online catalog of frame sliders is "under construction" and does not currently include Lightning, though I know that they have ordered Lightning frame sliders for me in the past.

http://www.1888fastlap.com

(You might have to leave a voice mail message, as they are in the process of moving from Marietta to somewhere in western Georgia and have only two phone lines in the interim.)

You should also specify that you are looking for Lightning frame sliders for the VTR1000 and that the frame sliders might have to be located from back stock.

I believe that the price is somewhere between $70 and $80, if they can still be accessed.

cheers,
--HotStreetVTR
Old 01-31-2006, 01:12 PM
SuperSport

NOrrTH is an unknown quantity at this point

Now THIS is a frame slider:

found at: http://www.whaccessories.com/VTR%20Accessories.htm

I can't see this bending or breaking off, also it sticks out far enough to use as a kick stand 8)

Expensive but its one of my last 3 mods to do.
Old 01-31-2006, 03:42 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Tis a bit high on the price, again, why??? Why are they sooooo expensive, it is a feaking piece of metal, and a little rubber.....

Ok, I am over it now.....I will pony up the money for some soon, as I would hate to have to pay even more to replace parts in a lay down, or drop.....
Old 01-31-2006, 04:13 PM
SuperSport

I think they're so expensive because they're not mass produced.

Well..if you buy the cheap ones and they bend or break then not only will the money you spent on them have been a total waste but you've missed your chance to save the bike from damage. Usually what gets taken out is the exhaust, crank case, fairings, rear cowl, levers, signals...

Some people recommend that sliders should be the very first mod you do. Personally I've dumped my bike 3 times, twice on one side, one on the other and wish I'd followed this advice.
Old 01-31-2006, 05:28 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Could you possibly put a smaller picture up I'm able to see it without any problem....really...anything smaller would do. :wink:
Old 01-31-2006, 05:33 PM
MotoGP

Really like that predator seat but damn over $600 ohh to be a rich man I could clean these guys out.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:23 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Cool stuff.,,,,over priced....baby needs shoes....
Old 02-01-2006, 09:59 AM
SuperSport

Ya that picture sucks and Wildhair even pulled it directly off Metisse's web site. I have seen better picks when a set came up on Ebay and went for $125 but had a worn ****. The brackets have "VTR" ground into them.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:05 AM
MotoGP

Oh yeah I remember those, nice.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:44 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Found these, anybody know anything about them?? MV-Honda

http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scrip...?idCategory=86
Old 02-01-2006, 01:14 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Says you have to shave some of the fairing....Is that normal for mounting these things???
Old 02-01-2006, 02:17 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
For the link you listed, it does appear that you'll have to drill off part of the fairings. Most of the ones I've seen use an adapter plate so the frame sliders poke out above the fairing. Just look for the engine bolt that's hidden, and you'll see what needs to be drilled off.

I'm tempted to try these out. Since my bike has no fairings right now, I've been looking to get "regular" frame sliders. I've always been a bit skeptical of adapter-frame-sliders, but other people have used the adapter-style to good effect.
Old 02-02-2006, 08:11 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Almost seems contridictory to cut the fairings to mount sliders to save the fairings.....hmmm interesting....me thinks I'll keep looking for now....
Old 02-02-2006, 09:44 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

Well, the sliders are supposed to protect the frame, not the plastics, right?
Old 02-03-2006, 08:06 AM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Maybe Just don't seem right to cut it though....
Old 02-03-2006, 08:15 AM
Hmm?
SuperBike

Originally Posted by cliffhangerstx";p=&quot
Maybe Just don't seem right to cut it though....
No worries. I wouldn't cut the SuperHawk plastics either. Replacements are more expensive and harder to find than for other bikes.
Old 02-03-2006, 10:57 AM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by marmaladeboy";p=&quot
Well, the sliders are supposed to protect the frame, not the plastics, right?
ha ha does anyone actually believe this? Who cares if the frame is tweaked as long as it looks good
Old 02-03-2006, 11:04 AM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

LOL....

And don't get me wrong, I think that they would look fine, even with the plastic being cut so they fit....Just not by me....lol....It would look like a 2 year old did the job.....and with that it is not worth saving a few bucks....
Old 02-03-2006, 01:35 PM
SuperSport

Loco
I figure frame sliders prevent you from severely damaging your bike's internal components, i.e. radiators and electronics. But they really only protect you from lowsides at slower speeds. The bike is still going to slide on that side, and fairings are going to get scratched no matter what. Norrth, you're exactly right, in fact. Instead of having the frame absorb the impact of a fall along the broad edge of the frame (which is a pretty hard fall IMO), all of the force gets directed into that little 2 inch piston attached to your frame.

Frame sliders seem like a great investment, but has anyone really saved money by installing them? (I'm asking seriously, not sarcastically)
Old 02-03-2006, 01:58 PM
Squid

yellowvtwin
yep I save big $$$ haveing them fitted to my bike 2 lowsides and under $200 to repair with out the OGGY's it woud have been $2000+ in repairs and the frame hasent got a mark on it
Old 02-03-2006, 02:14 PM
SuperSport

Loco
Good to hear, but out of curiosity how did you figure $2,000 in repairs without the sliders??
Old 02-03-2006, 08:02 PM
Squid

yellowvtwin
2 drops each "could" have cost left fairing ,nose piece and headlight ,clip-on ,clutch lever ,left radiator , left footpeg and gear shifter ,bar end , tank left mirror and left exhaust can (mine was damaged but I still have it on I am useing it without a problem) $2000 (for 2 lowsides) is a rough guess on what could happen not saying all will need to be replaced or repaired but they could ,I had a mate come off on the same corner I did at about the same speed and his bike took weeks to repair had to be trailered home and cost alomst $1500 to get back together after 1 lowside, as it was I rode mine home and had it on the road the same day a little rashed but riding
Old 02-03-2006, 08:25 PM
Squid

Infusi0n

I have frame sliders with a bracket so i dont need to chop the fairing, they work really well.
Old 02-04-2006, 07:25 AM
MotoGP

My buddy went down on the track with his gsxr1000 with a lowside and all that happened was a bent rear brake lever and rashed fairing. At the speed he was going it could've been much worse.
Old 02-04-2006, 07:46 AM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Well with insurance prices the way they are, I see these being a lot cheaper than full coverage insurance....Here it would run me $1500 a yr for full coverage....plus a ded...I put that in the bank, and frame sliders on, and hope nothing happens for two yrs.....then I am making money, in theory of course....lol....If I put that much away each yr, after 5 or 6 yrs I go pay cash for a new bike....once again in theory.....
Old 02-04-2006, 01:30 PM
Squid

DavidH1172

Where do you guys go for insurance? Why you wouldn't have anything other than state farm insurance baffles me. I have full coverage insurance and I pay $300 a year. Hoping I'm not coming off as a jerk, but like I said, it baffles me.
Old 02-04-2006, 01:51 PM
MotoGP

David, it's not really who you go through all thou that does matter somewhat. It's more about where you live and your driving record. I have allstate and pay about the same amont as you right now. If I moved about 10 miles southeast I'd be paying almost triple what I pay now. I had a 600 Katana and was paying $1500, moved where I'm living now with the same ins agent and it went to $800. Why I pay less for a more powerful bike is beyond me but....

Quick Reply: frame sliders??