General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Dirt Bike Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2021 | 05:29 AM
Squid

Csecrist3 is on a distinguished road
Dirt Bike Conversion

Greetings,

I have been toying with the idea for some time now after watching a video of some guys converting a Suzuki GSXR 1000 to an off road dirt bike. Luckily, I have a spare Superhawk with no title, but seems to be that everything is there, has compression, just has sat for a while. I am wanting to convert the bike to a dirt bike and to see how feasible it would be.

As far as the modifications, what would I need to consider? I know the forks, tires and suspension are big keys here along with the rear swing arm and such. Any ideas of what to source and what will fit the triple T, size pf tires, rims? Suspension for the rear? Longer Chain for the added rear height? Any ideas and information is definitely welcomed!
Old 02-19-2021 | 06:53 AM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
You must have a lot of free time. Years ago I would have been intrigued by a project such as this, but not so much anymore.
You have a very steep hill to climb, with or without the bike under your butt. I would suggest another repurpose for the bike. There is so much that is not right with the SH for the use you are contemplating.
Track bike? Part it out and use the money to get something more suitable to mod.
Not meaning to throw cold water on your idea. Just seems like a lot of effort for not much results.
If you go forward, post up the progress.
Old 02-20-2021 | 03:53 PM
SuperSport

ACE VenTRa is on a distinguished road
Forks and wheels!!!!! Do it do it do it do it!!!! And a bash plate. Please do this.

AV
Old 02-21-2021 | 04:47 PM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road

Last edited by Wicky; 02-21-2021 at 04:57 PM.
Old 02-21-2021 | 05:11 PM
SuperBike

Old 02-22-2021 | 04:51 AM
Squid

Those are pretty sick bikes and didn't know they made these motors into those bikes!

I am needing some information on the forks and suspension, what would work, what wheels could be used, etc. etc. The more help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-22-2021 | 12:16 PM
Squid

Any good donor dirt bikes I could use for the forks, wheels and rear suspension? Any other mods that would be necessary for this as well?
Old 02-22-2021 | 01:29 PM
SuperBike

Suspension front:
  • Fork-Kit: Marzocchi Magnum 50
    suspension travel: 285mm
    adjustable compression & rebound
  • Nissin dual hydraulic disc brake
    origin: Honda XRV750 Africa Twin (RD07)
    floating 2-piston calipers
    2 brake discs, manufacturer „Braking“, diameter 276mm
    stainless steel braided lines
  • EXCEL stainless spoked wheel 21“ X 1.85“
    hub origin: Honda XRV750 Africa Twin (RD07)
Suspension rear:
  • Öhlins shock absorber Type 4B for Honda XL1000V Varadero
    extended travel: 185 mm
    adjustable compression, rebound, preload (hydraulicly)
  • Nissin hydraulic disc brake
    origin: Honda XRV750 Africa Twin (RD07)
    floating 1-piston caliper
    brake disc diameter 256mm
    stainless steel braided lines
  • EXCEL stainless spoked wheel 17“ X 4.25“
    hub origin: Honda XRV750 Africa Twin (RD07)
Old 02-22-2021 | 01:37 PM
SuperBike

Reprofiled seat.
Touratech crash bars and brush guards.
Givi luggage and screen.
Acerbis front mudguard.
Bigger rear sprocket (+2 teeth).
Heavily modified Sci-Gall stainless cans (custom stainless pipes and heatshields, exta baffles added as they were stupidly loud).
Lightly modified Africa Twin forks, wheels, and front brakes (+2" front height +4" fork travel).
Conti TKC80 tyres 140/80-17 & 90/90-21 (outstanding rubber).
Modified Africa twin/Touratech sump guard (this needs some more cosmetic work).
Sidestand lengthened by 1.25", large alloy foot added to prevent sinking.
Custom rear linkages (+2" height).
Rally footpegs.
Heated grips, alloy bar brace.
Smaller rear indicators to clear custom made luggage case (not shown).
Custom made spacers/sleeves to get the wheels and brakes to fit.
Old 02-22-2021 | 03:03 PM
SuperBike

Another source of off-road conversion odds & ends is the Honda Transtlas.

Old 02-22-2021 | 03:06 PM
SuperBike

Old 04-09-2021 | 06:02 AM
Squid

https://www.rideapart.com/news/36207...t-bike-insane/

This is what I came across a while ago. It looks like the took off some KFX 450 forks, rims and tires and swapped them. In the video, they talked about having the stock swing arm with some spacers for the rear wheel to fit. Pretty bad ***.

What forks, rims and tires could I swap for the spare superhawk I have? More of a budget build as I have some parts at my disposal along with fabrication services.

On those rear spacers for the rear wheel, would I have to have bearings in those plates I am assuming simply like a normal bike wheel? Really taking this project into consideration.

Being a carbed bike and a touchy one at that, would there be much issues with it going off terrain or? I know there's those out there that want it to be immaculate and spend $10,000 on this type of build, but that's not what I am after. Just want to get off road a bit with this gnarly bike!
Old 04-09-2021 | 06:25 AM
SuperSport

You need a bash plate for the bottom of the motor, a top triple off a night hawk and dirt bike bars. Stiffer front springs, taller gearing and a 21" front wheel from a crf450. Single caliper up front, knobbie tires front and rear. Get a fork brace and mount a crf front fender to it, ditch the stock front fender. Remove all plastics, lights etc. You could do it in a long weekend.
Old 04-09-2021 | 06:34 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by ACE VenTRa
You need a bash plate for the bottom of the motor, a top triple off a night hawk and dirt bike bars. Stiffer front springs, taller gearing and a 21" front wheel from a crf450. Single caliper up front, knobbie tires front and rear. Get a fork brace and mount a crf front fender to it, ditch the stock front fender. Remove all plastics, lights etc. You could do it in a long weekend.
Could I use the crf450 forks as a direct swap combined with the night hawk triple? That way the whole front assembly is basically set up for the brakes and all?
Old 04-09-2021 | 06:43 AM
SuperSport

In that case, use the complete crf front fork assembly including triples, brakes etc. But if you go that route you are not limited to honda. Drz, yzf,kxf etc. As long as you can make a triple fit, anything will work!
Old 04-09-2021 | 06:46 AM
Squid

In that case, use the complete crf front fork assembly including triples, brakes etc. But if you go that route you are not limited to honda. Drz, yzf,kxf etc. As long as you can make a triple fit, anything will work!
I figured that was the case. Any ideas as far as dimenions? I want to minimum modifications as I can and the front forks would be the biggest head ache. Wasn't sure if a crf450 front fork would fit or if there's a better fitment for the superhawk?
Old 04-09-2021 | 07:31 AM
SuperSport

I have a spare triple at home I can measure but the main pivot shaft can be pressed in or out to accomodate just about any triple. Some light machining may be required. I'd find a good deal on a front end and just go make it happen. You could spend weeks measuring and researching. Why not ask the guy with the gsxr bike what front end he used? 5$ says it fits the hawk too.

AV

Last edited by ACE VenTRa; 04-09-2021 at 07:32 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 04-09-2021 | 07:35 AM
Squid

I have a spare triple at home I can measure bit the main pivot shaft can be pressed I not out to accommodate just about any triple. Some light machining may be required. I'd find a good deal on a front end and just go make it happen. You could spend weeks measuring and researching. Why not ask the guy with the gsxr bike what front end he used? 5$ says it fits the hawk too.

AV
In the video, he said it came off a kfx 450. It's pretty much a gsxr1000 power plant, frame and rear swing arm added with a kfx450 front end, brakes and rear wheel with slight mods. I'll do some measuring and see what I got for the superhawk on that main pivot and see if I cant shop around for a complete front end. Like to stay with honda either be a crf450, 250 which ever.

Have to make some mods for a custom crash cage and all. Since the motor is a structural member of the frame, do you think the motor can handle a bit of off road jumps and such?
Old 04-09-2021 | 07:37 AM
SuperSport

Jump away good man! You only live once, I'm sure the hawk will withstand more than you have guts to do!

Av
Old 04-09-2021 | 07:39 AM
Squid

Jump away good man! You only live once, I'm sure the hawk will withstand more than you have guts to do!

Av
Will do on that one! Ha maybe someone on here has a bit of knowledge when it comes to forks on here maybe?
Old 04-09-2021 | 08:24 AM
SuperSport

Triples on ebay are 100$. Ship it to me and I'll mock it up on my spare frame for free.

Av
Old 04-09-2021 | 08:27 AM
SuperSport

Old 04-09-2021 | 08:29 AM
SuperSport

Also, look back through my old posts for when I "twingled" my hawk. It sounds like the most bad assed thumper ever.

AV
Old 04-09-2021 | 08:37 AM
Squid

Also, look back through my old posts for when I "twingled" my hawk. It sounds like the most bad assed thumper ever.

AV
I'll definitely have to check out that post. Be curious of that upper and lower distance would be the same for the hawk? PM for where you're located and I can look into shipping costs. I have a spare hawk of my own in storage right now. Doesn't have a title hence the reasoning for starting this thread! Going to see if I can't find something local for the whole front assembly rather piece it together. Maybe even get the rear wheel with it as well.

On that rear wheel though, I would have to make some spacers to fit the width of the stock swing arm. Possibly use the old bearings from the oem wheel and fit it into the spaces assembly?
Old 04-09-2021 | 08:45 AM
SuperSport

Use the stock rear wheel for now. Cheaper that way. Shipping to 01360

AV
Old 04-09-2021 | 08:50 AM
Squid

Use the stock rear wheel for now. Cheaper that way. Shipping to 01360

AV
What knobby tires would fit on the stock rim?
Old 04-09-2021 | 08:56 AM
SuperSport

I'd have to measure but almost any 17" x 5"ish.
Old 04-09-2021 | 09:02 AM
Squid

I'd have to measure but almost any 17" x 5"ish.
Would a crf250r or a crf150 be too small for the front forks or? Couple dudes have the whole assembly for like $200-$300, tires, brakes and all.
Old 04-09-2021 | 09:03 AM
SuperSport

You can get this in a 170/60-17, it will fit.

Old 04-09-2021 | 09:04 AM
Squid

That would be perfect honestly ha! Be easy swap to only have to do the cage, front end swap and bottom plate.

Quick Reply: Dirt Bike Conversion