General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Denver to Alaska....which bike to buy!?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 05:19 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
In my own admittadly anecdotal experience, I would steer towards the japanes bikes for ease of ownership. I myself wouldnt trust a triump out in the tundra. The ktm is based on the rc8 motor TMK and is super sporty but that doesnt translate to useable.

I think a vstrom is based on a tried and true suzuki motor. That would be my choice for a reliable real world steed that can do it all.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:18 PM
GTS
Seasoned tech
SuperSport

GTS is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
In my own admittadly anecdotal experience, I would steer towards the japanes bikes for ease of ownership. I myself wouldnt trust a triump out in the tundra. The ktm is based on the rc8 motor TMK and is super sporty but that doesnt translate to useable.
Couldn't agree more.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:18 PM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
I'm very surprised that no one has suggested the ultimate choice, an HD 883 Sportster from the AMF years
Old 05-28-2013, 08:29 PM
MotoGP

Yeah, either that or a puch moped.

I just now read a letter in BIKE magazine (Brit mag) where a guy was telling of all the times that GS1200s broke down on him and all the repairs (including many final drives) that they needed. He said he liked the bike but reliability is not its strongsuit.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:05 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
How about a Multistrada?
Old 05-29-2013, 03:16 PM
Squid

Canyon.Shreddin is on a distinguished road
If I were you, I would go to advrider.com and do some searches or pose the same question there.

Another good resource is Motorcycle Consumer News. They do all their own independent tests (hp, torque, top speed, breaking, etc is all what they measured, and not what was claimed by the mfgr), and they do not accept any external advertising $$, so I feel they are fairly unbiased and usually spot on with their reviews. Here is a listing of some model evaluations they have available online:

Motorcycle Consumer News - MCNews.com - The most complete, most detailed and most accurate information about every aspect of motorcycling.

Looks like all the bikes you've listed are on there (BMW GS, Triumph Explorer, KTM Adventure). Good luck with your hunt and have a great trip to AK! Also, if you ever want get together for a Hawk cruise through the canyons hit me up.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:41 PM
Superstock

blamecanada is on a distinguished road
In my (also anecdotal) experience, BMW motorcycle owners, particularly GS bikes are essentially apologists..."I'm on my 3rd rear drive, but I should have changed the fluid every 1000 miles instead of 1500 miles...it's my own fault, but hey...gotta pay to have the BEST BIKE EVER MADE"
Old 05-29-2013, 04:55 PM
MotoGP

+1 on MCN. Been a subscrber for years and they have no adverts, so will tell you when something stinks. By far the best motorcycle publication IMHO.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:35 PM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

j shizzy wizzy is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Canyon.Shreddin
If I were you, I would go to advrider.com and do some searches or pose the same question there.

Another good resource is Motorcycle Consumer News. They do all their own independent tests (hp, torque, top speed, breaking, etc is all what they measured, and not what was claimed by the mfgr), and they do not accept any external advertising $$, so I feel they are fairly unbiased and usually spot on with their reviews. Here is a listing of some model evaluations they have available online:

Motorcycle Consumer News - MCNews.com - The most complete, most detailed and most accurate information about every aspect of motorcycling.

Looks like all the bikes you've listed are on there (BMW GS, Triumph Explorer, KTM Adventure). Good luck with your hunt and have a great trip to AK! Also, if you ever want get together for a Hawk cruise through the canyons hit me up.
wow, thank you. that is priceless info. i live in englewood and can only ride on the weekends. usually early sat mornings. pm and we can meet up for breakfast.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:33 PM
MotoGP

Shizzy, as always, you better be wearing you chicken suit for some part of the ride!
Old 05-29-2013, 06:55 PM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

j shizzy wizzy is on a distinguished road
HA