General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Denver to Alaska....which bike to buy!?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 10:34 PM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

j shizzy wizzy is on a distinguished road
Talking Denver to Alaska....which bike to buy!?

Hey all.

Me and about 7 others are planning a trip from Denver to Alaska in 2015. Obviously the Superhawk isnt going to cut it. I am just now starting to do research on different adventure/touring bikes. Ive thought about the KTM adventure, the Yamaha Tenre, the BMW GS line, even a Goldwing..... Id love any input from you guys about what to look for and what to avoid. Anyone ever done a trip of this size? We are looking at about a 7000 mile round trip.

thanks guys
ride safe

Justin
Old 05-26-2013, 11:26 PM
Squid

Mikael is on a distinguished road
Superhawk will do that no problem, I did over 8,000 mile trip a couple years ago on mine, just plan on a oil change or two and get a good set of long distance tires. I went from west coast to east coast and back only thing I had to do was oil changes, a new set of tires and keep the chain in check. Of course I didn't start on a great set of tires so they wore pretty quickly.

Otherwise if you really want a second bike just for this trip and have to money the smaller of the BMW GS's would be nice for off road fun as well as road riding and not too heavy.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:33 PM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

wow, its must have been sketchy at times trying to keep the gas topped off. I dont want to slow everyone down by having to stop every 100 miles or less, plus i want some trail capability and more storage.... i was looking at the 800gs. looks like a nice rig. i agree lighter is better. i feel like something shaft drive would be best....
Old 05-27-2013, 06:14 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by j shizzy wizzy
i feel like something shaft drive would be best....
Then be careful choosing a bimmer. I've read of shaft drive related failures, lots of them.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:16 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

supermarto is on a distinguished road
Ulysses... Can't go wrong.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:31 AM
Superstock

zxbud is on a distinguished road
wow, its must have been sketchy at times trying to keep the gas topped off. I dont want to slow everyone down by having to stop every 100 miles or less, plus i want some trail capability and more storage.... i was looking at the 800gs. looks like a nice rig. i agree lighter is better. i feel like something shaft drive would be best....
Riding as one would ride on a trip to Alaska, on a afternoon mix of curvy road and highway Saturday I used 2.1 gallons in 99.9 miles total. While I'd pack 1 or 2 gallons of fuel, 46mpg is plenty for any trip in the civilized world. Sounds like a good time, too.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:08 PM
Squid

Mikael is on a distinguished road
Only one dangerously low fuel problem once and it was my own fault as I had wandered on some remote back roads, otherwise the fuel stations were pretty close together and like zxbud said bring a small container for spare fuel just in case.

Then again there aren't as many towns close together in Alaska as the rest of the states so finding fuel might be a problem.

Shaft drive would be great but research the bike first for any major problems as the bike's forum guys would know.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:03 PM
Squid

zanoj883 is on a distinguished road
It's got a good engine

Honda_XL1000V_Varadero
Old 05-27-2013, 06:06 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
For that ride I would get a V-Strom either one is good.....I like the 650 myself
Old 05-27-2013, 07:29 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Hey all.

Me and about 7 others are planning a trip from Denver to Alaska in 2015. Obviously the Superhawk isnt going to cut it. I am just now starting to do research on different adventure/touring bikes. Ive thought about the KTM adventure, the Yamaha Tenre, the BMW GS line, even a Goldwing..... Id love any input from you guys about what to look for and what to avoid. Anyone ever done a trip of this size? We are looking at about a 7000 mile round trip.

thanks guys
ride safe

Justin
The ALCAN has not needed an adventure bike for at least 15 years..
A superhwak, motorhome or Honda Accord is capable of driving the ALCAN,

I've driven it from SC to AK, AK to CO, CO to AK, AK to CA, CA to AK, AK to OR.

It is at worst these days rough road,, and short sections of chip seal.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:38 PM
Back Marker

superbeater is on a distinguished road
The V-strom is the cheap choice. Very solid bike. Lots of accessories. I've got the 1000 but the 650 might be better.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:06 PM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

ok, FOR ME the superhawk is out, not to say its impossible with the hawk. Im pretty sure we will be riding some offroad trails once there. just a few minutes ago i was drooling over the new triumph explorer. the super tenere and vstrom are also on my test ride list. what about GEAR. what kind of jackets and pants and what not are good for a trip of this scale?
Old 05-27-2013, 10:08 PM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

Living in colorado, ive wanted a dualsport for awhile now. Ill definitely get use from one
Old 05-27-2013, 10:15 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
what about GEAR. what kind of jackets and pants and what not are good for a trip of this scale?
Well to go directly to the top of the line: Motorcycle - KLIM Motorcycle Gear
Old 05-27-2013, 10:32 PM
Deals Gap is a Hoot!
Back Marker

SIRR1 is on a distinguished road
ALCAN Ride

IMHO I would pick up a 2001 or newer GL1800 Goldwing.

After owning 3 Goldwings and 36 motorcycles my Canary Yellow 2003 GL1800 Goldwing is by far the best motorcycle Honda has ever developed!

It's fast, smooth and handles like a sport bike, the linked breaking system is a great feature to the point that I never use the rear brake at all.

The bike uses an adjustable hydrolic suspension system that you can set on the fly, the stereo rocks and has a OEM port for a music player and the rider / passenger coms system is second to none.

Newer GL1800's have built in GPS and heated grips and seats and the newest models use air and not oil on the suspension system which is a cost saving measure by HMS.

Heated grips and seat is a minor accessory to add to an older 1800 and you can use your cell phone which will link to the Goldwings audio system as a GPS and the newer GL's specs are the same from 2001 to 2013.

Best tire are Metzlers and the worst are Lops for the 1800, I did have a rear Avon belt sererate on me one hot day 300 miles from home, the wife jumped on another 1800 and I rode mine home at highway speeds to minimize the thumping...

I can pull the front wheel off the ground in second gear but you have to watch how high you get because the rear fender drags the pavement and that fender is 400 bucks!

The bike is rated at 118 hp out of the crate and aftermarket exhausts and K+N filters actually bring down mpg from 52 a galllon to the low 40's so watch what you buy plus the fuel injectors don't like filter oil...

There are thousands of assessories for this bike that are really trick and more are developed each year.

The wife and I were riding the twisties in the Ozarks of Missouri a few years back with a group of friends, it was late in the day and the sun was in our faces and bam at 65mph!

The front end gets a little heavy and I slow down to a stop and I ask my friend if my front tire was getting low and he says dude you have a bent rim and a hole in the sidewall the size of a quarter!

Long story short I hit a concrete block that must have fallen off a truck and ended up in the road.

With a blown out front tire and damaged rim the GL1800 was able to slow down from 65 to a stop with out crashing and that says a lot about this bike and its handling and stability.

Good luck and let us know what you get for the ride.

BTW if you can ride 400 miles per day in all weather on the SH for a 4-5 days straight and then tour the area in Alaska on the SH and return home at 400 miles per day for 4-5 days in all weather then by all means go for it and take your SH to Alaska!

Take it from experience after a few days of riding any bike on long trips your *** skin will start to break down so don't forget your butt powder and purchase a ROHO seat cushion or a foam cushion from wally world and rotate between the seat and cushion at gas stops and breaks to save your *** and to save your trip/vacation to Alaska!

SIRR1
Old 05-27-2013, 11:07 PM
GTS
Seasoned tech
SuperSport

GTS is on a distinguished road
SIRR1 I couldn't agree with you more. While the SH would be a fun bike to take the fun would wear off after the first couple of days. I did a 2,000 mile trip last summer and was glad to be home. Maybe with a Sargent Seat and some bar risers it would have been more comfortable but I would not want to take it nearly that far.

The GL1800 is an awesome bike for the long distance. Super comfy seats, lots of storage for all your clothes and gear and some great tunes with the 6 disk changer and radio as well as built in CB so you can talk with your friends.

My more sporty choice would be a CBR1100XX. It's bigger and more stable than the VTR, has a more comfortable seating position and a score if you can find one with the matching saddle bags.

However neither would do you much good off road. That XL1000V looks pretty bad ***. I can't say I've ever seen one though. Are they even available in the US? I'd stay away from a "dual sport" if you want to go on a trip like this. As the article mentions for the XL1000V a dual sport like the XR650L is more of a dirt bike that can go on the street. For a ride like this you need more of a street bike that can go in the dirt.

After working in a Triumph dealer for 4 years I'd stay away from them. Their fit and finish is sub par by a good margin from the big 4 and I've seen a Trophy actually have such porous case castings it leaked oil right through the side of the case. Not to mention their finishes don't hold up.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:16 AM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
Two limey friends and their American friend did a trip from Denver to Alaska a few years back.

Cheapskate did it on a GTR1000, Doc on a Triumph and the Denverian on a Beemer.

43 days on the road
11575 miles
65 fuel stops
1050 liters
$985. On fuel (half the price of a tap that lights up)
12 U.S. states
3 Canadian provinces
0 bike drops / fall off/over
3 near misses (car u-turn in front of me, water tank, lightening)
1 puncture
0 speeding tickets (he he)
0 times I wore heated trousers
3 times I wore heated vest
0 plasters/band aids used
58 hours sleep lost due to snorers
1 Wild animal attack (wasp sting)
1000’s of photos and even more smiles.

Last edited by Wicky; 05-28-2013 at 12:33 AM.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:06 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
oK well now you expanded this from your initial statement of Which bike for a road trip to AK.. to include off road use while in AK.. HUGE difference,,

Of course that one little added tidbit makes most of the suggestions you have received so far invalid.. SuperHawk, Goldwing, ect..

Can you further define "Off Road".. Having lived in the Fairbanks area for 3 years and the Anchorage area for 3 years, doing off roading across the entire state.... Very little of the "Off Roading" as I think of it is doable on any bike you might ride from Denver to AK. (and most of the good to better stuff we ran is not passable to ANY bike for the most part, without major bypassing of the existing trails)

There are dirt roads that can be ridden with a Vstrom, park "trails" (really just maintained dirt roads) that you can get a Triumph down..

If it was a full zoot Adventure bike.....you can expand that a bit...
Old 05-28-2013, 08:01 AM
SuperBike

Yamaha TW200 would be a fine versatile beast for the journey...

Yamaha TW200 - Adventure Bike Conversion Build - Pashnit Motorcycle Forum

4500 miles in 10 days. ... Not a speed demon or a power hound but just straight up fun to ride. fuel friendly. practically go almost anywhere with the larger tires. easier to handle and goes alot of places that higher cc bikes struggle through.....the bike and or the rider
Name:  IMG_0195.jpg
Views: 1614
Size:  75.2 KB

Last edited by Wicky; 05-28-2013 at 08:07 AM.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:09 AM
Squid

curlcd is on a distinguished road
the smaller GS is belt drive BTW.... but they have head bearing problems.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:35 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by curlcd
the smaller GS is belt drive BTW.... but they have head bearing problems.
and a few other problems...

Name:  DSC02269.jpg
Views: 524
Size:  125.1 KB
Old 05-28-2013, 08:48 AM
GTS
Seasoned tech
SuperSport

GTS is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Wicky
Yamaha TW200 would be a fine versatile beast for the journey...
Uh yeah if you want your journey to take you 6 months. A 200cc bike is nowhere near big enough to get you that distance at freeway speeds reliably. The poor little thing would be worn out from the constant high rpm WOT just to maintain 60 by the time you hit the Canadian border.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:13 AM
SuperBike

The trick is to have different sprockets for different conditions. Folk have done long distance on 'em so it shows it can be done on something outside the norm.

TW200 Utah to Alaska - Yamaha TW200 Trailway Discussion Forum

Shame the US didn't get the VTR engined Honda Varadero.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:54 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
I would figure vstrom or versys. I cant picture wanting a 650 for a long trip other than its good off road, but how many zillions (approx) of ON road miles will you do regretting having a little 650.

The gs1200 is the most proven around the world in all conditions bike ever TMK. Great as all day highway bike and off road, but the vstom,versys are right there & would save you a bunch of dollas.

Get a givi wing rack and hard bags as shown on the varadero. Lockable and waterproof is worth its wieght in gold on long trips.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:03 AM
Superstock

KCCO is on a distinguished road
I lack personal experience with it but I see the KTM 990 hasn't been brought up aside from the first post. If it's good enough for multiple Dakar wins it may be worth looking at? Anyone here have experience with one?
Old 05-28-2013, 10:29 AM
Superstock
Superstock

wyldryce is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by KCCO
I lack personal experience with it but I see the KTM 990 hasn't been brought up aside from the first post. If it's good enough for multiple Dakar wins it may be worth looking at? Anyone here have experience with one?
Indeed, it's the only big pig "Adventure" bike worth a **** off road, but you better be a damned talented (and big/strong) rider to take it on anything gnarly. Personally if the going is rough off road, anything bigger than a 450 is begging to get your *** kicked.

But the issue I see is that you want two different things here, and while the marketing teams of all these manufactures would love you to believe that their bike is capable of being that swiss-army-knife do it all machine, that's, in reality, a very elusive wide-spread task you're asking of any bike. For me, if you indeed intend to use it as a dual sport in CO beyond this (mostly paved highway) trip, it would be a Husqvarna TR650 Terra, or a KTM 690E or R Enduro.

While many people dream of taming the Alaska backcountry by bike, my understanding (as E Marquez mentioned) is that there really aren't that many accessible off road riding experiences there. Certainly nothing like what's available in Co, or any other of the western states for that matter...

-R
Old 05-28-2013, 10:35 AM
Squid

Canyon.Shreddin is on a distinguished road
It all boils down to the type of riding you plan on doing. In my opinion (from someone who rides off-road in CO quite a bit), if you want a true dual sport, something that is actually capable of going off-road (I consider dirt roads to still be roads), I personally wouldn't want anything larger than a 650. I would be looking at the XR650's (either the L or the R, though I prefer the R). Both are cheap compared to the BMW's or KTM "adventure" bikes, both are reliable and super easy to work on, and without dumping a ton of money into one, you can easily set it up for a long adventure ride. For not a lot of money, you could get a nice XR650R (preferably one that is already titled/street legal since that's what you want), add all the accessories you want to make it comfortable and capable of a long journey, and have one very bad @$$ off-road machine.

I'd be after something similar to this:
2000 XR650R

No, it isn't mine nor do I know the seller. For a long distance journey I would put a 6.3 gallon Acerbis tank, have some work done to make the seat comfy, and that's about it. FYI - I've noticed that bike on CL for at least two months, so if it is something you're considering they might be negotiable.

Of course, if all the off-roading you'll be doing consists of dirt roads/FS access roads, you really wouldn't need something as capable off-road as an XR, and would potentially be more comfortable on-road with a bigger more street friendly machine. Just my .02.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:54 PM
Superstock

KCCO is on a distinguished road
J Shizzy Wizzy, Can we get an example of your version of "off road"? Sounds like all these options are conditional on what off-road means to you. My second bike was a 1985 KLR-600. This thumper could do the highway bit, but not comfortable for more than a few exits (old tired beast), and it could go "off-road" for fire roads and dirt trails. But like stated before your not going to get the ability of a CR250R (my other ride for example) out of anything street legal aside from a baja kit.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:02 PM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

Thanks everyone for the input! So far my understanding of the terrain is almost all highway and some minor dirt trails and camping areas. there will be some road/touring bikes going as well, so this isnt going to be a mud flinging frenzy by any means.

I really want a full size bike that can handle long distances comfortably with some off road capability. Im focusing on the Tenere, VStrom (the new one which i dont know is out quite yet), BMW GS, Triumph Explorer, KTM Adventure. I want to get a bike that is purpose built like the ones i just listed. My two big concerns are reliability and cost of ownership, and this is whats bugging me. I am having a hard time getting a grasp on the bikes in this category because i'll read one blog/review about how bulletproof a bike is then read others saying its garbage. there seems to be alot of polarity with these bikes and not alot of consensus.

I again appreciate everyones input thus far, please keep it coming. im just trying to work it all out. its going to be a big purchase and a big trip. i want to do it right the first time.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:18 PM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 First Look Review

2014 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC- First Ride Review- Photos

these look like fun

Quick Reply: Denver to Alaska....which bike to buy!?