General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Deal/no deal?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 09:53 AM
Back Marker

tbartley is on a distinguished road
Deal/no deal?

Hi Everyone,
I'm new here. I decided to buy another bike and after reading a lot of info on this site and realizing that DIY can be done with the the SH, I have come across an '02 SH with a little over 30K on it. Went to look at it and the usual wear was evident, but no fairing marks, only the mirrors, footpegs, etc. had inidicators of the bike being down at least once. The rear tire is gonna need replaced...no biggy, but I noticed an engine noise on the right side down towards what I consider midway between top and bottom of the motor. It's a slight, but noticeable, rattling/slapping sound. After warming up to about 170 degrees the bike was shut off and then restarted after about a minute. The rattle came back. With a little throttle, the sound diminished, but was still detectable while idling.

What do you all think? Take a chance on it for a $2200 or not and what could the noise be. I asked two different bike mechanics and one said the "clutch basket" and the other said they all rattle.

BTW you all have an outstanding forum/site!
Old 01-16-2009, 10:01 AM
Superstock

rbrais is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the forum.
It could be the cam chain tensioners (CCT's). They're prone to failing around 20,000+ miles and cause major damage. Many here have been replacing them with APE manual cct's. Think it is around $100 for the parts.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:02 AM
Post Whore Junior
MotoGP

Cleveland is on a distinguished road
Big Vtwins make alot of noise. Mine does, and always has. I got mine with just over 6K miles on it. Currently @ 22k. Wouldnt rule out engine problems though, it's hard for me to hear it from here.. lol.

Do your research here, there's alot of good information. From what I've read, CCT's are top and (usually) front engine noise. Dont quote me, though.

And... Welcome to SHF.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:37 AM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

j shizzy wizzy is on a distinguished road
My 03' has a ticking sound in the same location with just under 2000 miles. I was worried at first but now it seems to be normal. many others here have mentioned the noise is there and always has been on their bikes. with that mileage i would suggest you replace the CCT's. could total your bike out of the blue apparently!.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:39 AM
Back Marker

Thanks for the info thus far, guys. After hearing the noise the other day, I searched this site and it seems the CCT's would be a good bet. The tutorial on changing them out is excellent, too. What do you think about the price?
Old 01-16-2009, 11:46 AM
SuperSport

SlowHAWK is an unknown quantity at this point
$2200 for a '03 with that milage seems reasonable... Older bikes (like 98-99) with less mileage go for about the same or little more, and your year and less mileage a bit more as well... Personally I think it's fair overall if the bike is in good condition.

I'd strongly suggest swapping the CCT's ASAP if there is any question on the noise... $100 investment for piece of mind is worth it.

J.
Old 01-16-2009, 02:02 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by SlowHAWK
$2200 for a '03 with that milage seems reasonable... Older bikes (like 98-99) with less mileage go for about the same or little more, and your year and less mileage a bit more as well... Personally I think it's fair overall if the bike is in good condition.

I'd strongly suggest swapping the CCT's ASAP if there is any question on the noise... $100 investment for piece of mind is worth it.

J.
It's an '02, but that's okay, too. The bike is in good condition, but could have been in a little better condition. I've just committed to picking it up at 0900 tomorrow. Gonna run it to the shop and get some new tread at least on the rear. I'll have the tech at the shop listen to the motor and if they are concerned at all, I'll do the CCT's myself after I get it home...no biggy, right? Anyhoo, I look forward to putting to good use a lot of the DIY info you all have posted in your threads on this site. Wanna do mods, too, and you HAWK JOX have the best intel and experience.

Thanx again and wish me luck!
Old 01-16-2009, 02:19 PM
SuperSport

Hotbrakes is on a distinguished road
Welcome. I suppose you're enjoying your new friend right now.

As far as the noise goes, it probably wouldn't hurt to do a valve job, take a peek at the clutch, oil change unless you know when it was last done, replace the brake and clutch fluid, fork fluid, sync the carbs, AND the cct's. Basically a good thorough tune up. That way you know you will have many more miles of problem free bliss on the new steed and she will again feel NEW. It is true that there is a lot of moving parts going tick tick tick and I sometimes freak myself out when I listen too closely, but if the sound doesn't get louder with a mechanical slushing(?) the CCT's are probably ok...or are they?...well what do you mean "slushing"?...hmm...it didn't sound like that when I first got it...now that I think about it I've never heard all that noise before...well maybe its not new...but I don't notice it when I'm riding...hmmm. Seriously though, after experiencing a CCT failure on a F4i and replacing it in time, if you hear a whishing sound WHILE you are riding between certain midrange rpm's, YOU HAVE A PROBLEM!
Old 01-16-2009, 03:04 PM
Back Marker

Thanks Hotbrakes. I'm gonna do the fluids...always do on a new purchase, 4 wheel or 2 wheel. I used to live in F-burg. Left in '01 and moved here to KY for the job. I lived down by the Simmons matress factory across from the Lee's Hill subd, off the Massaponax exit. I here it's expanded incredibly in the area off that exit. Enough of that...back to the bike. I have plenty of time to do the fluids, carbs, and CCTs. Haven't changed fork oil since my dirt bike's but can't imagine much about that job has changed. I'm sure a search on this forum will yield everything I need to know.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:02 PM
Back Marker

Fish is on a distinguished road
Welcome.

Sounds like you got a good deal on the bike. My bike has had a tick. Was all convinced it was the CCTs headed south. Narrowed it down to an exhaust leak.

Fork oil is simple. There's good info here on what weight is "best". The best thing is find a good honest mechanic. Even if you do your own work, they'll be a great source of info.

Fish
Old 01-16-2009, 09:31 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
If you think VTRs are noisy, listen to a Ducati. My riding buddy has an 851 and a 998. He's been asked at stop lights, especially on the 998, "what's wrong with your bike?". He just answers "dry clutch".