General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related
View Poll Results: Classified Ads Comments
If you aren't interested in buy it, keep your nose out of it.
24.00%
This is a FORUM where people share ideas, info, discuss and comment.
76.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Classified Ads Comments

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 04:08 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Classified Ads Comments

This is a FORUM where people share ideas, info, discuss and comment.

If you can't handle that, don't post things for sale here.
If you aren't interested in buy it, keep your nose out of it.
Those seem to be the two sides to this discussion,,,, So, which do you feel is the better choice.

Please, no flaming for a users choice, I find merit in both, but think over all # 2 is a better over all choice...

Last edited by E.Marquez; 12-07-2008 at 04:11 PM.
Old 12-07-2008, 04:17 PM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
To me #2 is the only choice here.
Old 12-07-2008, 04:25 PM
ole dirty bastard
SuperSport

hawxter996 is an unknown quantity at this point
sounds like someone got their feelings hurt in classifieds.
mr. roundboxes is a bad man!
Old 12-07-2008, 04:26 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
I can see both sides...

1. Don't knock something for the sake of knocking it..unless you know the person and it's a joke, in which case J/K should be added at some point...lol

2. If some troll comes on pedaling his worn out **** that only belongs in the dump, and someone recognizes it, then jump in with both feet...but make sure you know what you are talking about...
As for price, well this is where for the most part folks should keep there traps shut, it's true that a Hawk sold in SD, vs say FL is going to have a different sales price..No doubt...Just because there price seems high for your area, it may be right in line for someone else...That said, use some discretion, PM the seller and ask them if they are on Crack, perhaps they have no idea what there bike is not worth! LOL...Seriously, just ask your self WWGD (What would Greg do?) LMAO....The grand poo bah...

Use common sense...and we can all get along...
Old 12-07-2008, 04:31 PM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

j shizzy wizzy is on a distinguished road
i really have to say, this is the best forum i have ever belonged to. all of you are so helpful and i have learned a lot from all of you! hopefully i will be able to give as much to this forum as i have taken from it as time goes on......i say #2
Old 12-07-2008, 04:34 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
I think once since I've been here I told somebody their price was high 'cause they wanted more for a used item than the new retail-delivered price.

A bunch more times, even for an item I didn't need or want, I'd praise the offer and bump it so others could see it.

The only "rule" should be give people the benefit of the doubt on their good will and keep the comment polite and respectful.

This forum runs pretty damn good with a minimum of rules and moderation. I vote to keep it that way.
Old 12-07-2008, 04:36 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
I'd say do it with tact and a dose of common sense... But yeah I'm gonna go with the option for having an opinion...

Y'all know I can't keep my mouth shut anyways soo...
Old 12-07-2008, 05:30 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by hawxter996
I really didn't mean to crush anyone's fingers but I might have. Facts are just that and sometimes they can be cold and hard.

I have the following comments to give example of how I view classifieds:

I prefer to deal with forum members before all others.

Have I paid too much? yes Sometimes when a member is getting out, needs some cash for a new project on his bike or whatever the reason. It's a learning experience (or was at the time) and I chalk it up as such. ALL of them are still counted as friends and guys that I could call for a favor.

By contrast I have offered members fair price for their parts when THEY didn't know what the number was. (my Penske shock)

Have I gotten good deals and good parts? yes 99.9 and you can't get that at flea-gay!

Have I sold parts to other members? yes Usually dollar for dollar what I paid plus freight to you. I don't own my Superhawk to make money off her. It's a pleasure ride and I want others to enjoy theirs too.

Do I give away parts? yes When Josh crashed we walked through the shop like we had a shopping cart. All little **** but it got him back on the road. When Ally crashed in Mn she got my stock bars, somebody got my stock mirrors to pass inspection - I look at all these parts as inferior and of little value but if it keeps you on the road everybody wins.

People who want to make money for boxing & shipping need to find a new job. My office is a half mile from a mailing station that I have used for 18 years. I've known the owner since the git. I know my freight rates are right and advantageously priced.

Have you ever been "burned" by another member? no. I've taken some bad checks, goods are shipped but payment method fails - not to worry - no unresolved issues. All these guys have been square with me, some have had difficulties but that's life.

Mr. Round Boxes retires the soapbox

Last edited by nuhawk; 12-07-2008 at 06:24 PM.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:36 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by hawxter996

HAHAHAHA! I love this forum.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:34 PM
Greenmeansgo!
Back Marker

Reason is on a distinguished road
I don't see why classifieds should be any different than any other forum section. It is absolutely possible to tactfully suggest that someone is asking too much, just as it's possible to politely disagree on the fastest color (it's black, btw). There's a world of difference between "hey, that part is $10 cheaper brand new" and "you moron, there's no way I'd pay $100 per CCT, are you friggin high?"

I go to forums to get and offer help. Telling someone a part is overpriced is just as helpful as telling them a better way to address a mechanical issue. It's all in the delivery.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:44 AM
Superstock

cameron is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Reason
I don't see why classifieds should be any different than any other forum section. It is absolutely possible to tactfully suggest that someone is asking too much, just as it's possible to politely disagree on the fastest color (it's black, btw). There's a world of difference between "hey, that part is $10 cheaper brand new" and "you moron, there's no way I'd pay $100 per CCT, are you friggin high?"

I go to forums to get and offer help. Telling someone a part is overpriced is just as helpful as telling them a better way to address a mechanical issue. It's all in the delivery.
+1
Old 12-08-2008, 06:11 AM
SuperSport

SlowHAWK is an unknown quantity at this point
OK.... I'll rock the boat a bit.... I'm honestly leaning more toward #1 than #2.... here's why...

First.... I agree if some guy with 2 posts list a bunch of over priced items... go ahead and comment away... enjoy... no arguement here. I agree with the above statements...

But...

I've also seen people list items at prices higher than "the norm" around here... say, $100 for a rear rim... now granted, that's high IN MY OPINION seeing most people on this forum price things very reasonably, but nowhere near the price you'd pay new... why should this guy get flamed, or have the bargain police chime in? Just ignore his post like everyone else does and eventually he'll lower the price or put it on EBAY and life goes on... why trash someone for asking for a price YOU determine to be too high... Maybe they are trying to recoup a bit on items from a swap or really need the cash.

I'm not taking this stance to see people get ripped off, or run prices higher here for people... but I've seen ALOT of posts where people state things like they got perfect forks for $35 dollars, or whole engines for $100... blah blah blah... that doesn't mean eveyone has to post there parts at those low prices.... (And.. BTW... if you are finding these ridiculous prices somewhere.. LMK.. I could use a few things... LOL!!!!)

Anyway... my opinion is a classified is a classified... not a discussion... if it was a discussion, we'd post it in the General discussion section... why have a classified section if that turns into a 30 post topic about the price???

J.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:28 AM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Gregw is on a distinguished road
If I'm selling- #1
If I'm buying- #2
Old 12-08-2008, 07:50 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

FL02SupaHawk996 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Gregw
If I'm selling- #1
If I'm buying- #2
+1
RC
Old 12-09-2008, 01:09 AM
Squid

59burst is on a distinguished road
If you post in a public classified forum where others can reply, then be prepared for #2. If you don't want comments, put it on ebay, craigslist, or cycletrader. Simple as that.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:20 AM
Back Marker

Otto Man is on a distinguished road
Either way is fine, provide the person punching the keys in isn't an idiot. If they are, there is no proper way to reply on a forum.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:47 AM
SuperSport

Hotbrakes is on a distinguished road
"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" says it best.

If some knucklehead joins just to sell his crap for way too much post away. None of us are here to make money, but most of us can't afford to give stuff away either. I feel like if I was selling something here I would think about what it is worth new, come up with a price I would take for it on Ebay, and then discount it on this forum in the 10-25% range or offer free shipping.

So we should only post to offer support on the item being sold or some tactful guidance to help the item get sold. If I was a potential buyer and needed something that I felt was overpriced I would PM an offer for a more reasonable price and commence to haggling because everyone likes doing that.

Is winter really affecting us this bad? We have nothing to do than to post about posting or not posting stuff that others have posted cause we don't have any rides or mods to post about? Guess that's why I posted...
Old 12-10-2008, 06:54 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Hotbrakes
"Is winter really affecting us this bad? We have nothing to do than to post about posting or not posting stuff that others have posted cause we don't have any rides or mods to post about? Guess that's why I posted...
Or sort of . . . We had a great ride last weekend, I got to lead, about a hundred miles for lunch and twisties. I wish we could export our Texas riding weather to the rest of you!

Cold tonight but back into the 70's by the weekend.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:14 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 59burst
If you post in a public classified forum where others can reply, then be prepared for #2. If you don't want comments, put it on ebay, craigslist, or cycletrader. Simple as that.
Well said, this works for me.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:28 PM
JAMES
Superstock
Superstock

Pimpsterbim1 is on a distinguished road
I voted for #2... But insted of "thrashing" their price or what-ever, maybee a PM first?..
Old 12-11-2008, 09:54 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
WWGD? Now that's funny. I don't care who you are.....

Seriously, I prefer an open forum yet I expect maturity and tact in posts. If a guy's selling something for too high of a price and nobody says anything then 99.5% of the time it won't sell at all. So, ultimately those who do post are actually trying to HELP the guy sell his stuff. Posting a good link to a price of a new part is VERY helpful in deciding the value of a part.

So...I guess I lean more towards #2, but only if it is respectful.