General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Buell Goes Bust

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 07:43 PM
Superstock

nekkid is on a distinguished road
To nath981, you're right. The '70 Norton Commando Fastback I had could outrun most Harleys...but I sold it and got a Kawwie 750 triple because it was, in turn, faster.

The US gov. didn't tilt a previously level playing field in the '80's to the Benefit of Harley. They helped to even the field after the Japanese brands were seen dumping their bikes in the US market. They were selling them for less that it cost to make them solely to capture market share and hopefully engender some brand loyalty.

I like reading what captainchaos has to say. Always entertaining and usually accurate. A well reasoned alternate view should always be welcomed, right?
Old 10-16-2009, 07:51 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
I've wreaked havoc because I don't share your same views? The beauty of the forum is that everyone is entitled to voice their views. And regardless of what you think, even though nowaday they don't roadrace, Harley is still the winningest motorcycle in AMA history. Look it up. And if you want to talk history and tilting the playing field the Japanese auto industry wouldn't even exist if America hadn't spent the money to rebuild and defend their country while Japan was free to spend all their money developing their auto industy and technology. Read about it. Lee Iacocca has a great autobiography. And if it makes you feel better to insult me knock yourself out. My brother bought an '03 Acura brand new and it broke down more in 3 years than my '72 Corvette did in over 30. He went through 3 trannys inside 100k miles, while my Vette is on the same tranny with nearly 300k miles. Did get a performance engine rebuild it didn't need. Same for my brother's first car. A '70 Pontiac Lemans. Over 300k miles, original engine and tranny-never rebuilt and doesn't need to be. My brother beat the **** out that car too. I know my parents still own it. My best friend has an Acura TL too. 50k miles and already on it's 2nd tranny and he's gonna sell it because he doesn't want to deal with it again. My '90 Taurus had almost 170k miles and ran like new when I sold it. A guy FLEW down from Georgia to Florida just to drive it home. Only had to rebuilt the tranny once due to one too many neutral drops hehe. My dad's '93 Cutlass. 160k miles, original engine and tranny and still runs like new. We just take care of **** I guess. I did get a '99 Toyota simply because it was a steal and was mint. If I look it up the internet is filled with all the sludge problems and engine horror stories. And even my brand new Honda Superhawk overheated the very day I took it out of the crate. Unlike you I've yet to speak my opinion. Everything I've said just now is either my personal experience or can easily be read in a book or looked up online if books aren't your thing. I'm not an idiot & I'm no domestic fanboy or think they're the best things ever. But it's not like foreign stuff never has any problems.

Last edited by captainchaos; 10-16-2009 at 08:00 PM.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:47 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by nekkid
To nath981, you're right. The '70 Norton Commando Fastback I had could outrun most Harleys...but I sold it and got a Kawwie 750 triple because it was, in turn, faster.

The US gov. didn't tilt a previously level playing field in the '80's to the Benefit of Harley. They helped to even the field after the Japanese brands were seen dumping their bikes in the US market. They were selling them for less that it cost to make them solely to capture market share and hopefully engender some brand loyalty.

I like reading what captainchaos has to say. Always entertaining and usually accurate. A well reasoned alternate view should always be welcomed, right?
you're right about the Japs entering the marketplace with cheap prices, but isn't that free enterprise? And the gov't did impose import duties to benefit Harley, or who else, BMW, Norton, ducati, triumph, BSA? The japanese had to build them overseas, ship them here, set up dealerships, and distribute them in a country not familiar with their products. Hell, my father had to give pizzas away in the '50's because people in our town were reluctant to eat what they thought might be "greasy wop food", so i guess he should have been taxed for this. Nothing more than good marketing strategies to intro new products.

Harley beater: A '62' norton atlas(featherbed frame),flat bars, aluminum everything, fiberglass seat, pirelli tires, 23 tooth engine sprocket, reworked engine, and straight pipes. I too eventually sold it and bought a Kawi triple. The Kawi was a bit faster in the quarter mile, but the Norton would run faster top end and handle better in the twisties.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:23 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by captainchaos
I've wreaked havoc because I don't share your same views? The beauty of the forum is that everyone is entitled to voice their views. And regardless of what you think, even though nowaday they don't roadrace, Harley is still the winningest motorcycle in AMA history. Look it up. And if you want to talk history and tilting the playing field the Japanese auto industry wouldn't even exist if America hadn't spent the money to rebuild and defend their country while Japan was free to spend all their money developing their auto industy and technology. Read about it. Lee Iacocca has a great autobiography. And if it makes you feel better to insult me knock yourself out.
Sorry if you feel insulted Captain, not meant to be personal. If you feel so good about american cars and bikes in terms of their quality vs value, have at it. I believe in the merits of a free enterprise system as a means of weeding out the posers, but that's only a pipe dream now anyway. I said what i believe to be true and I'll let it be at that. Thanks for your opinions.
Old 10-17-2009, 09:15 AM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Gregw is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by captainchaos
My '90 Taurus had almost 170k miles and ran like new when I sold it. A guy FLEW down from Georgia to Florida just to drive it home. Only had to rebuilt the tranny once due to one too many neutral drops hehe.
I had a '97 Taurus SHO. Fun car to drive, mainly because the 32 valve V8, which was from Yamaha.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:40 AM
MotoGP

Who wants a new Buell cheap?

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/oped...del-motoczysz/