General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Anybody ever ride without front wheel spacers

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 10:41 PM
Squid

Grasshopper is on a distinguished road
Please post results of confrontation ASAP.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:46 AM
Squid

Duckhawk is on a distinguished road
Before this thread, I've been afraid to post anything for fear of sounding like an idiot. I'm now embrace my role as an idiot.
My plan is now two fold:
a) I will print out this string and share it with the mechanic as soon as I pick up my bike.
b) As the mechanic is reading this string, I will snap a photo of him reading it with my cell phone camera and post it for your enjoyment.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:54 AM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
I am generally a non confrontational sort, maybe allow him one more chance to redeem himself by telling him politely you don't see how it is possible that you rode without them and you want him to replace the parts lost. If he still wants to disagree then share the thread.
Old 05-21-2010, 03:23 PM
Squid

Cornandp: I think you're right, non confronational is a good mode to operate in (Maybe I was being grandiose, showing off in front of you guys), but...

I just got back from the shop and at this point, I just want my bike back (it's been there for 9-days). This is starting to grind my **** off. Getting a straight answer is like trying to stick a nightcrawler up a bobcat's ***, I haven't had any luck yet. Must...remain...calm
Old 05-21-2010, 04:34 PM
SuperBike

well, hopefully they wont take too much longer, because what are you going to do trailer it home? Honestly I wouldn't even go 5 mph on it with no spacers. I once rode a bike with a sticking front brake, I knew it was I was trying to putt it home at 2mph had 100 feet left and it dropped me like a hot potato. The lesson here is you shouldn't ever chance anything unusual with front ends. Is this a local shop in Eugene?
Old 05-21-2010, 04:45 PM
Squid

Yep, it's at Cycle Sports on River Road in Eugene.
I've since heard that they are legendarily feeble (I figured hell, what can go wrong if you're just buying new tires?)
Old 05-21-2010, 06:01 PM
SuperBike

Its not like I have had any better luck with shops in my area further north. It just sucks because there are not a lot of places to go to that work on motorcycles. I have had more then one issue at more than one shop. I know things happen but I have just gotten tired of all the bull that these shops seem to think is good business.
Old 05-22-2010, 02:30 PM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Alright I'm losing patience here! Just tell the Bozo to go ahead and bolt up the front wheel without the spacers. The forks will be contacting the brake rotors, he probably won't be able to install the calipers and the forks might get bent. Then he can buy you all that stuff as well as the spacers he dropped under the tire changer.

But it's riding season. Pay them the extra $15 and hit the twisties.

But before you leave the parking lot at the stealership you better check every bolt and nut they touched. I'm talking axle nuts, caliper bolts and the pinch bolts on the bottom of the forks. Sometime they forget to tighten them. I speak from experience. Always check behind the mechanic.

Last edited by L8RGYZ; 05-22-2010 at 02:32 PM. Reason: .
Old 05-23-2010, 08:31 AM
Squid
Squid

Torque Junkie is on a distinguished road
Make them test ride it to test everything, no reason to risk your own neck on their bad questionable workmanship. If I have a bike that may have front brake issues with dragging, the last thing I would want is a shiny slippery new front tire to find out my brakes drag from wheel slop the first corner I hit at 40 mph. Also check to see they degreased the rotors and they are not covered with wheel bearing grease or greasy dorito fingerprints.

Make the boneheads do a test ride at 60 mph minimum. If they dump it, you'll know they will be paying for it. If you dump it 50 miles down the road getting them to pay for it will require a lawyer, as they will deny everything.

Unfortunately you are going to have to go buy the spacers if you want to have your bike soon. I would tell your story to every local forum around to keep everyone away from this place.

If you had time and are pissed enough, I would call a tow truck have your bike taken to the nearest Honda dealer, pay for them to reinstall everything to factory specs, then give the tire place the bill and a signed statement from the other mechanic that the bike could not have ridden in their with out spacers and would be unsafe to ride. Take them to small claims court if they won't pay. But first give them the ultimatum to have your bike done by Tuesday or you will do the above. Sound very concerned and serious when you tell them, not just pissed. Crappy shops are used to pissed customers and empty threats.

If they are smart they will just run down and buy the spacers.
Old 05-25-2010, 02:12 PM
Squid

I'm back - (Sorry I took so damn long to get back)

First of all, you guys are great (I can’t believe L8RGYZ took the time to remove the spacers and report back back on the 20th)

Picked up my bike on Saturday and I decided to go passive – I let them beat me out of the $25 for the spacers and decided to peacefully depart with my bike. Here’s what happened when I left;
- Showed up and looked for the dude that did the work to speak with him, but he was no where to be found

- I paid the bill and then the service counter dude walked the bike out of the shop to the service parking area [I probably came across as a bit condescending (that means to talk down to) and impatient, kinda let them know that “they’ve been about as useful as a trap door on a canoe, but I’m glad my bike is ready to ride.”]

- I hopped on my bike, zipped to leave the parking lot when I grabbed what I expected to be a handful of front brakes, I got nothing….rear brakes? Absolutely nothing, I pumped my little heart out until they grabbed and pulled into a near by bank parking lot – patting myself down to make sure I was still alive and confirmed that I hadn’t shat my pants. I realized that when they put the tires on, they must have expanded the brake calipers and hadn’t pumped them back to the working position. I know, I know, I know – this is my responsibility, but I can’t tell you how disappointed I was to not slow down when I (initially) activated the brakes.

- I took it to a competitors shop (Cascade Motorcycle), told the guy what happened and the owner of the place inspected the bike and he confirmed that there weren’t any parts missing.

On a positive note, the new tires (Michelin Pilot 2’s) are awesome and it seems like Cascade Motorcycles is at the opposite end of the competency spectrum (From Cycle Sports)

I look forward to posting more on this forum (again you guys have been great)
Old 05-25-2010, 02:27 PM
Destructive Tester
Superstock

bjorn toulouse is on a distinguished road
I'm curious, is Cycle Sports a franchise shop, or are they an independent?

Rex
Old 05-25-2010, 03:26 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
that is a sad end to a sad story. the whole first part and then to have wheels off, new tires installed, supposedly replacing spacers that werent there....and to kick it off they didn't even test ride it!! wow. warn your friends. that is amazing.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:01 PM
Squid

I'm not sure if they're national or not, but they do have a store in both Salem, OR and Eugene, Or.
I'll certainly warn my friends and I'm going to write a (non-emotional) review and put it on GoogleMaps. I recently noticed that GoogleMaps gathers everybody's reviews and makes them available for each business on Google Maps. Had I checked out this company via Google Maps to begin with, I would have never gone there (5 reviews/all bad)
Old 05-25-2010, 05:08 PM
SuperBike

yep write the review, in this day and age bad service can kill a business fast because of how easy bad reviews are to place now. Help save others the headache.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:50 PM
Destructive Tester
Superstock

bjorn toulouse is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Duckhawk
I'm not sure if they're national or not, but they do have a store in both Salem, OR and Eugene, Or.
Lack of clarity....my bad.
I meant are they an authorized dealer for any brand(s) of new bikes, or just an accessory/repair/used bike type outfit.

Rex
Old 05-26-2010, 03:13 PM
Squid

According to Motorcycle.com - Cycle Sports - Eugene is a dealer selling Motorcycles from Honda,Kawasaki,E-ton,Indian.

I filled out a complaint with the state of Oregon https://www.doj.state.or.us/cgi-bin/finfraud_complaint.pl, wrote a GoogleMaps review: http://maps.google.com/maps/place?cid=16383054737998058858&hl=en&gl=us and I'll make an effort to contact Honda to let them know what happened.

Last edited by Duckhawk; 05-26-2010 at 03:15 PM.