Everything Else Anything and everything NON-VTR related

Why manmade CO2 is the important bit

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 01:36 PM
Squid

Redone is on a distinguished road
Smile

Originally Posted by CentralCoaster
Good data. The action will take place at Copenhagen at the end of this year, when the nations of the world get together, and try to agree on a plan to address this. It's not a forgone conclusion how that will go. It's dawned on China that global warming will not be good for business. They're trying to make themselves the world's leader in solar cells and electric cars. I say we should go and eat their lunch, there's a lot of bucks to be made on those, worldwide.

India may be a tougher nut to crack, but credible surveys show that 90+% of their citizens think their government should do something about this.

Last edited by Redone; 08-06-2009 at 01:41 PM.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:40 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
I am not optimistic for several reasons.. But I am optimistic for others. lol

I am optimistic for the planet, but not the average human.

I expect Obama and others to get regulations in place to charge us for CO2 (and don't say it's industry that will pay and not us, because any cost increases to a business get passed on to the customer).

And I expect the "Global disaster" will be avoided (because it wasn't coming in the first place). Al Gore will sit atop his ivory tower and proclaim victory (or his heir will).

And all of it will have in the end, done nothing but increase the size of Government, and the wealth of a few (the carbon traders).

CO2 is valuable.. the Algae biofuel generators need high levels of it to work well, plants grow best in CO2 enriched greenhouses (though usually only pot growers can afford this).. etc etc.

Industry that creates CO2 should be selling the stuff, or using it to make biofuel, not thinking of how to sequester it.

As for transportation, animal sourced Methane creates more "global warming" than all airplanes, trains, cars, boats, and motorcycles combined.. Should we put fartbags on all the deer in the forest? (we should put methane powered generators on manure creating farms.. that does make sense to me, as do TCP plants at turkey and chicken plants, but that is a side issue and more about economics than anything else)
Old 08-06-2009, 01:52 PM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by cliby
Its an evolving science, in its infancy. trying to figure out global trends with such small amounts of data (time wise, relatively) is frought with problems. These are new theories. those that adopt them early are not more wrong than those that dismiss them as scare tactics and unfounded. Its good to be alive in a time when major theories are being batted around, we missed a lot of the good ones like the earths place in the solar system etc. I think even a little common sense would say the scope and acceleration of human activities leaves an effect. whether its depleting a resource which is finite, pollution or whatever effect on global warming. To say being concerned with those effects is pointless is beyond arrogance.
To say that based on this woefully inexact science and computer modeling that has proven over and over to be inaccurate we should pass laws that allow governments to tax the living **** out of every human being on Earth and to radically reshape society because of something that might be is beyond stupid.
This is an agenda driven hoax.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:57 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by killer5280
To say that based on this woefully inexact science and computer modeling that has proven over and over to be inaccurate we should pass laws that allow governments to tax the living **** out of every human being on Earth and to radically reshape society because of something that might be is beyond stupid.
+1
Old 08-06-2009, 02:03 PM
Back Marker

Liquidogged is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by killer5280
Yeah, that would be stupid. Good thing Cliby didn't say that.

What do you think of my earlier argument that just because there may be an agenda involved, doesn't necessarily make it a hoax?
Old 08-06-2009, 02:05 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Liquidogged
Yeah, that would be stupid. Good thing Cliby didn't say that.

What do you think of my earlier argument that just because there may be an agenda involved, doesn't necessarily make it a hoax?
Just because you are paranoid it doesn't mean that you aren't being followed.

But it isn't likely.

http://www.larouchepub.com/other/200...n_swindle.html
http://newsbusters.org/blogs/matthew...g-profiteering
http://www.riehlworldview.com/carniv...es_inconv.html

Last edited by lazn; 08-06-2009 at 02:11 PM.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:07 PM
Superstock

nekkid is on a distinguished road
If the climate change theorists are right, we should stop riding our notoriously inefficient hydro-carbon furnaces with their huge carburetors...nah
With love from Hawaii, where the volcano in question is.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:11 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
My girl friend and I got a day off of high school and attended the very first Earth Day celebration in Fairmount Park, Philadelphia in April, 1970.

The topics were clean air, clean water, and most important by a wide margin: Voluntary reduction in population growth.

You see, that was before the movement sold its *** (cheaply) to the New World Order, New World Fascist Open Border Movement.

But for the America's New World Fascist Open borders policy, our population would have stabilized at about 210 million.

Because of the New World Fascist/ "Global Warming" shitbirds, we now have a population of 305 million. Projected to exceed 400 million within a generation. Due ENTIRELY to the rabbit hutch birthrates of the the fifth grade dropout, unskilled, turd world welfare dependent PARASITES welcomed into our nation by the tens of millions.

If you claim you care about the environment, but oppose closing the border and deporting 30 million illegal wetback parasites? You are a scum sucking lying bag of stinking feces.
Back Marker

Originally Posted by lazn
I am not optimistic for several reasons.. But I am optimistic for others. lol

I am optimistic for the planet, but not the average human.

I expect Obama and others to get regulations in place to charge us for CO2 (and don't say it's industry that will pay and not us, because any cost increases to a business get passed on to the customer).

And I expect the "Global disaster" will be avoided (because it wasn't coming in the first place). Al Gore will sit atop his ivory tower and proclaim victory (or his heir will).

And all of it will have in the end, done nothing but increase the size of Government, and the wealth of a few (the carbon traders).

CO2 is valuable.. the Algae biofuel generators need high levels of it to work well, plants grow best in CO2 enriched greenhouses (though usually only pot growers can afford this).. etc etc.

Industry that creates CO2 should be selling the stuff, or using it to make biofuel, not thinking of how to sequester it.

As for transportation, animal sourced Methane creates more "global warming" than all airplanes, trains, cars, boats, and motorcycles combined.. Should we put fartbags on all the deer in the forest? (we should put methane powered generators on manure creating farms.. that does make sense to me, as do TCP plants at turkey and chicken plants, but that is a side issue and more about economics than anything else)
I really do understand the skepticism that you have for government - we do have to make sure that just because they're trying to tackle real problems, they don't create or exacerbate other problems. I don't know how to make sure, but I do know that vigilance is a good thing.

And yes, methane from animals is having a huge effect on climate change, though I'm too lazy to pull up some good data right now. Fartbags on deer in the forests... lol. That's funny but it's looking right past the much larger problem staring up from our dinner plates: the meat industry. We eat huge amounts of meat in this country and so do the residents of many developed and developing nations. The methane produced from livestock animals because of this absolutely needs to be addressed if we're going to get serious about dealing with climate change. I have friends who don't eat meat purely because of how environmentally destructive the industry is, never mind the treatment of the animals.

Redone, do you happen to have any data comparing/contrasting the effects of CO2 and Methane on climate?
Superstock

pigwings
Warming

Originally Posted by Stevebis1
Respectfully, BULLSHIT. You and all the other alarmists are utilizing this data to suggest, PREDICT, that if human CO2 production is not curbed then humans will impact and accelerate climate change.

Few are questioning the raw data. We are questioning the conclusions formed and then strongly questioning the suggested human behavioral changes your groups advocate
who's your science adviser, Rush L or Bill O?
Old 08-06-2009, 02:12 PM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
It's been proven that investor speculation can double the price of homes and double the price of gas.

Now just imagine the same for carbon credits. Imagine the price of everything you purchase doubling or worse, within a 2 year period.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:21 PM
Back Marker

It's been proven that investor speculation can double the price of homes and double the price of gas.

Now just imagine the same for carbon credits. Imagine the price of everything you purchase doubling or worse, within a 2 year period.
I think it's becoming common knowledge that those price bubbles caused by speculation need to be stopped. Something absolutely needs to be done, but I'm not sure that something is scrapping the carbon credit idea.

Oil is just as pervasive in our economy now as Carbon would be - everything is somehow tied to the price of oil. This is because oil is the lifeblood of modern society. Looking at Carbon as something to be taxed is an initial first step towards a civilization that really values its long term existence. Another first step is properly funding alt fuels/alt energies. "Carbon neutral" is a silly marketing term that gets tossed around a lot, but the basic idea it comes from is that humans need to find a way to live in balance with the world.

Or maybe looking at carbon as something to be taxed is what so many here are afraid of - an initial step towards taxing us all to oblivion and controlling all human interactions. I know it wasn't you who said that, CC, but I have to ask everyone in general... WHO are the alarmists here, exactly? The climate change believers or the anti-big government folks? There's freaks on either side, and good people too.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:24 PM
RK1
MotoGP

Originally Posted by pigwings
who's your science adviser, Rush L or Bill O?
Man made carbon emissions have increased 2,700 PERCENT in the past 100 years. There is less CO2 in the atmosphere and the temperatures are lower than they were 1500 years ago. Care to explain?

Last edited by RK1; 08-06-2009 at 02:29 PM.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:30 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by nekkid
If the climate change theorists are right, we should stop riding our notoriously inefficient hydro-carbon furnaces with their huge carburetors...nah
With love from Hawaii, where the volcano in question is.
SO TRUE. Guilty as charged.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:31 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by RK1
Man made carbon emissions have increased 2,700 PERCENT in the past 100 years. There is less CO2 in the atmosphere and the temperatures are lower than they were 1500 years ago. Care to explain?
Care to provide some references or sources for that data?
Old 08-06-2009, 02:42 PM
RK1
MotoGP

Care to provide some references or sources for that data?
I might do your research for you when I get some time. For the interim, I'll go off the top of my head. About 1500 years ago a big island was settled by Norsemen. It was called "Greenland". You know why? Because it was warm, lush and green. They grew crops and raised livestock on this warm, lush and green GREENLAND. 1500 years later Greenland is 99% covered in glacier.

Why was it hospitable and lush 1500 years ago? Was it the wood burning cave fires? Was it the reindeer powered SUVs?
Old 08-06-2009, 02:49 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by RK1
But for the America's New World Fascist Open borders policy, our population would have stabilized at about 210 million.

Because of the New World Fascist/ "Global Warming" shitbirds, we now have a population of 305 million. Projected to exceed 400 million within a generation. Due ENTIRELY to the rabbit hutch birthrates of the the fifth grade dropout, unskilled, turd world welfare dependent PARASITES welcomed into our nation by the tens of millions.

If you claim you care about the environment, but oppose closing the border and deporting 30 million illegal wetback parasites? You are a scum sucking lying bag of stinking feces.
You are right in that population growth is an important factor to consider when looking at data concerning climate change, such as CO2 levels.

You are wrong if you think US population growth has a snowball's chance in hell of making an impact on overall worldwide population growth. We could import all of Mexico and it wouldn't do a damn thing.

http://www.iiasa.ac.at/Research/LUC/...gkh1/chap1.htm

I'll quote the relevant section:

"Between now and the middle of the next century world population will most likely increase by some 3.68 billion people - all of these increases will be contributed by the developing countries (see Table C1_2). In fact, the population of the developed nations as a group will most likely decline by almost 10 million people between now and the year 2050 - according to the UN medium variant projections...
Comparing the centennial growth of developed and developing countries reveals a dramatic divergence: The population of the developed countries as a group will have increased by less than 350 million between 1950 and 2050. The developing countries, on the other hand, will have an estimated 6.8 billion people more - thus almost quintupling their 1950 population."

For those who are curious, here is the wikipedia entry on the IIASA, which is the source I just quoted.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IIASA

Sure, it's a wikipedia entry, but at least it isn't rightwingerswithshotgunsforjesus.com or bleedingheartdouchebagshumpingtrees.com. In any case, the IIASA seems pretty legit, so hopefully you'll find the above quote useful. Please correct me if I'm wrong. This is all part of watching your references, if you're the kind of person that bothers to provide any.

Anyways, nice try at connecting climate change to US immigration problems. Also, good job at respecting our right to free speech by hijacking the thread with this nonsense and calling people lying sacks of ****. Very patriotic of you.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:50 PM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
Or maybe looking at carbon as something to be taxed is what so many here are afraid of - an initial step towards taxing us all to oblivion and controlling all human interactions. I know it wasn't you who said that, CC, but I have to ask everyone in general... WHO are the alarmists here, exactly? The climate change believers or the anti-big government folks? There's freaks on either side, and good people too.
Are you implying that isn't happening? Do you honestly believe that if we began living in harmony with nature that they'd stop or reduce those taxes? Taxes aren't a means to an end either, they are the end.

When is the last time any tax was eliminated?
Old 08-06-2009, 02:59 PM
RK1
MotoGP

You are right in that population growth is an important factor to consider when looking at data concerning climate change, such as CO2 levels.

You are wrong if you think US population growth has a snowball's chance in hell of making an impact on overall worldwide population growth. We could import all of Mexico and it wouldn't do a damn thing.

http://www.iiasa.ac.at/Research/LUC/...gkh1/chap1.htm

I'll quote the relevant section:

"Between now and the middle of the next century world population will most likely increase by some 3.68 billion people - all of these increases will be contributed by the developing countries (see Table C1_2). In fact, the population of the developed nations as a group will most likely decline by almost 10 million people between now and the year 2050 - according to the UN medium variant projections...
Comparing the centennial growth of developed and developing countries reveals a dramatic divergence: The population of the developed countries as a group will have increased by less than 350 million between 1950 and 2050. The developing countries, on the other hand, will have an estimated 6.8 billion people more - thus almost quintupling their 1950 population."

For those who are curious, here is the wikipedia entry on the IIASA, which is the source I just quoted.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IIASA

Sure, it's a wikipedia entry, but at least it isn't rightwingerswithshotgunsforjesus.com or bleedingheartdouchebagshumpingtrees.com. In any case, the IIASA seems pretty legit, so hopefully you'll find the above quote useful. Please correct me if I'm wrong. This is all part of watching your references, if you're the kind of person that bothers to provide any.

Anyways, nice try at connecting climate change to US immigration problems. Also, good job at respecting our right to free speech by hijacking the thread with this nonsense and calling people lying sacks of ****. Very patriotic of you.
Frankly, I don't give a **** about the "world". I care about my people, culture and country. If you did you'd be outraged about America's de facto open border policy for the past 20 years.

It's worse than that. America's elites have forced America to be the "safety valve" for Mexico and other turd world **** holes. Allowed them to continue their corrupt and dysfuntional policies, provided welfare, food stamps, section eight housing vouchers, WIC coupons, "earned" income tax credits etc., subsidized their insane rabbit hutch birthrates and rewarded them for it.

If you don't understand the relation between the environment, the population bomb and open border immigration, you are a brain dead ******* moron!

You claim you're concerned about energy consumption? What is difference in energy needs between a nation of 210 million vs. a nation of 400 million?

What is the incentive for Mexicans to stop having 10 or 12 children when America will accept all the millions of 5th grade dropouts needing welfare, food stamps and a housing voucher?

You are not an environmentalist, you're a bullshitter and a fraud.

Last edited by RK1; 08-06-2009 at 03:06 PM.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:07 PM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
65 degrees and it looks like rain today. Highly unusual weather in recent times.

I'm getting ready for some long, cold winters here in the west. The snowpack in the sierra is normally completely gone this time of year. But not for the last couple.

The pacific ocean is going into the cold phase of its cycle. The pine trees are heavy with cones this year.

http://icecap.us/images/uploads/Wash...ersaddress.pdf
Old 08-06-2009, 03:13 PM
Back Marker

Are you implying that isn't happening? Do you honestly believe that if we began living in harmony with nature that they'd stop or reduce those taxes? Taxes aren't a means to an end either, they are the end.

When is the last time any tax was eliminated?
I guess you're wondering how naive I am. Not naive enough to believe that if we'd reach some official state of equilibrium with the natural world then all of a sudden the carbon tax would go away.

I do believe that living in a state of balance with the world we live in means emitting far less carbon than we do currently. If we actually develop a lifestyle or set of technologies that enable us to emit less, (which is what the tax is ostensibly supposed to encourage,) then the tax will be a moot point.

We're getting off-track, anyways. This thread isn't really supposed to be about the political ramifications of CO2 so much as the science of it. An important distinction, I think, even if the two might be inseparable in actual practice.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:29 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by RK1
Frankly, I don't give a **** about the "world". I care about my people, culture and country. If you did you'd be outraged about America's de facto open border policy for the past 20 years.

If you don't understand the relation between the environment, the population bomb and open border immigration, you are a brain dead ******* moron!

You claim you're concerned about energy consumption? What is difference in energy needs between a nation of 210 million vs. a nation of 400 million?

You are not an environmentalist, you're a bullshitter and a fraud.
Did you bother to read ANY OF MY POST? AT ALL?

Do you understand that a couple hundred million is a small fraction of 3.68 billion? Basic math? Hello? Anybody in there? THERE IS NO POPULATION BOMB IN AMERICA.

The only argument you can make in the face of these figures is that argument that people in the US, regardless of their origin, use more energy than people in developing countries. But of course, you didn't make that argument. I had to make it for you. What's next, I have to wipe your *** for you too?

This'll be the last time I acknowledge you in this thread and maybe any others. If you understand nothing of what I say to you, understand this: I pity you.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:39 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Frankly, I'm tired of this debate.

I think I'll just go out and fire up all my vehicles and let them idle in the driveway.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:46 PM
RK1
MotoGP

Did you bother to read ANY OF MY POST? AT ALL?

Do you understand that a couple hundred million is a small fraction of 3.68 billion? Basic math? Hello? Anybody in there? THERE IS NO POPULATION BOMB IN AMERICA.

The only argument you can make in the face of these figures is that argument that people in the US, regardless of their origin, use more energy than people in developing countries. But of course, you didn't make that argument. I had to make it for you. What's next, I have to wipe your *** for you too?

This'll be the last time I acknowledge you in this thread and maybe any others. If you understand nothing of what I say to you, understand this: I pity you.
Every person serious about the environment, serious about sustainability realized 40 years ago that the "secret" was zero population growth.

Americans and Western Europeans achieved voluntary native born zero population growth 30+ years ago.

It's ******** like you who have fucked it all up. Instead of demanding turd world countries figure out what first world nations knew 40 years ago, you insist we accept the excess population of the turd world and reward them for having babies. Environmentalism and zero growth population are the same thing. If you had a brain and a pair of *****, you'd know that already.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:46 PM
MotoGP

One thing that must be realized is that arguing online is not going to convince anyone of anything.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:50 PM
Squid

Smile

Originally Posted by RK1
Sure. Your "facts " are wrong. CO2 levels are higher now than they've been in hundreds of thousands of years:

For this time, nature has limited CO2 fluctuations to between 200 and 300ppm or so. But we've managed to exceed the speed limit.

Ditto temperatures for the last 12,000.

Originally Posted by RK1
About 1500 years ago a big island was settled by Norsemen. It was called "Greenland". You know why? Because it was warm, lush and green. They grew crops and raised livestock on this warm, lush and green GREENLAND. 1500 years later Greenland is 99% covered in glacier.

Why was it hospitable and lush 1500 years ago?
It wasn't. Only the coast was habitable, then as now. That's where all the settlements were. The central ice dates back to over 10,000 years ago, it's basically leftovers from the last ice age. And the name?

A guy named Eric the Red got into trouble in Iceland and was forced to flee, in about 1200. He named the place Greenland to attract settlers. An early case of real estate fraud. Eric would have been quite comfortable as a Florida swampland seller. In about 1400 the temperature cooled very slightly (as I said, that was the natural trend, and you can see the dip in the graph above, it's sometimes called the Little Ice Age) and everyone fled.

Iceland was named Iceland for the reverse reason. It had nowhere near as much ice, and the inhabitants wanted to keep people away.

Last edited by Redone; 08-06-2009 at 03:57 PM.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:53 PM
Squid

Smile

Originally Posted by lazn
One thing that must be realized is that arguing online is not going to convince anyone of anything.
Sure. That's why I post data and facts, and don't try to oversell it.

Last edited by Redone; 08-06-2009 at 04:22 PM.
Old 08-06-2009, 04:17 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Redone
Sure. That's why I post the data, not rhetoric.
The problem is the conclusions reached from the data is rhetoric, and the data itself is arguable.

I have a theory that if the sky turns blue we will all sprout wings.

Look the sky is blue, and I can prove it a billion times over!

We are all going to have wings soon, and if you argue with me I will just prove to you again that the sky IS BLUE!

edit: whoa ninja edit! lol

Last edited by lazn; 08-06-2009 at 05:58 PM.
Old 08-06-2009, 04:27 PM
RK1
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Redone
Sure. Your "facts " are wrong. CO2 levels are higher now than they've been in hundreds of thousands of years:
Really? If CO2 levels are the highest in "thousands of years", and C02 elevates temps via "global warming" why aren't ambient temps the highest in "thousands of years"? Please explain.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:05 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by RK1
Really? If CO2 levels are the highest in "thousands of years", and C02 elevates temps via "global warming" why aren't ambient temps the highest in "thousands of years"? Please explain.
Sure. They are. See the last graph above.

But not by much. This isn't a linear deal. Doubling CO2 does not double temperature. CO2 just raises temperature enough to be annoying. Right now, mildly annoying. Eventually, though, it will be REALLY annoying.

Last edited by Redone; 08-06-2009 at 05:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Why manmade CO2 is the important bit