Everything Else Anything and everything NON-VTR related

The National Debt simply put

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 07:45 AM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by D VTR RIDER
I will garanty you that our health cost is substantially lower than what you pay through corporations and government, however if you are happy with your system, then by all means keep it.
I wouldn't care one iota about what happens south of the border except the fact that the US is our biggest trading partner and vice versa and therefore when you get a cold, so do we. In fact the whole world does. That importance is slowly changing and other parts of the world such as China, India, Brazil, etc are becoming more and more important to the global economy hence why countries such as ourselves are looking at those areas for exports. So instead of a north south relationship we ware looking more and more in an east west direction. Our oil exports have been all to the US but that may change if they decide to build a a pipeline to our west coast and that may happen sooner than later if approval isn't given to the Keystone pipeline.
The US needs to get out of the mess their in and I can't see that happening without a combination of tax cuts and tax increases. You can't possibly cut spending enough now to get to a balance budget. A country such as yours couldn't take that much pain.
Reaganomics works for a short period of time but eventually once the stimulus is over, you are in a worse predicament. Over the last 15-20 years your government has repeated tried this. The latest was the tax breaks for the rich under Bush. I'm sure his buddies are still toasting him, while the other 90% of the populace being squeezed. Buffet knows this, yet people think he has something to gain. In fact he probably does. He know that if you don't get out somehow, his net worth is going to go down or option 2 is that he simply cares about what is happening knows what it is going to take to make things better for the collective good of the nation.
If you think I like taxes, think again. I'm in a healthy bracket and would like to see our governments cut back again until in a slight surplus again. I firmly believe in balance budgets at all times except during recessions, however the other years should have a surplus. If collectively as a nation we want more services from our government, then collectively we have to pay for it. All countries have to hit a balance that they can live with. At the moment, the US is the third least taxed nation so its fair to say you aren't overtaxed. Perception and reality are always different.

Your last line pretty much sums it up.

If the US is the third taxed nation, which I doubt, then it's fair to say that we aren't as overtaxed as most of the rest.
The idea that government is a proactive force for good is a dangerous one that has been fatal to millions of people throughout history. Of course it's not difficult to see why governments, and the oligarchs who control governments, spend so much of our money propagandizing us about the benefits of entrusting money and power in government. The US Constitution, which ostensibly is the law of the land, is based on the opposite idea, that government is inherently a negative force that should be restrained as much as possible. We are a long way from that ideal and talk of handing over more money to unaccountable, criminal government takes us even further away from it.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:47 AM
SuperBike

Old Yeller is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by autoteach
I am not sure how I am over generalizing. I just think that if these banks needed to be bailed out, rather than tax dollars going directly to them without oversight, they could have atleast bought off the loans, nuke the papers, and let the people start spending the money into the economy. What would you do if you had an extra 15k?
Technically, that money given to banks did go into the pockets of us. Not in total, I'm sure, cause I don't trust big business any more than I trust the govt. But many people had debts wiped or rates re-negotiated as part of the process. In my son's case, he got a terrific deal on a repo and the additional funds to boot.

Working in the banking industry, I can also tell you that the regulators watched pretty closely how things were "corrected" within the banks. One could certainly complain about why they were in that position in the first place, and I totally agree, but it wasn't just blindly given. Same things with the auto industry and notice how quickly they paid that money back so that the gov't wasn't crawling all over their business?
Old 08-19-2011, 08:12 AM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
The gov't bailed out Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. You are part owner of all of the foreclosures. That's why the banks are so hesitant to let people out of their mortgages. It pays better to let them foreclose.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:02 AM
SuperBike

"Think you've had enough? Stop talking, help us get ready." -David Byrne

Exiting the eye of the hurrricane. A lesson in government manipulated economics.

Doug Casey: We Are Exiting the Eye of the Storm
Old 08-19-2011, 04:54 PM
Back Marker

D VTR RIDER is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RK1
Top marginal income tax rate in Canada is 29%. In the U.S. even with the so called "Bush tax cuts" it's 35%.

U.S. corporate income tax is 34%. In Canada it's 18%. Reaganomics works. Canada proves it.

The U.S. problem isn't too little tax revenue, it is the outrageous and obscene level of federal spending.

There's more to it than that, of course. Canada has a much more homogeneous population. You don't have 35+ million people descended from slaves who tend not to do as well. Your immigration policy tends to favor people capable of producing more than they consume. America's favors welfare eligible fifth grade drop outs from the third world.
You are correct that we have a lower corporate tax rate. In fact is is dropping to 16.5%. Very poor decision at this point in time when the government needs all the income to balance the budget. Our top marginal tax rate is way more than 29%. It is close to 50%. You need to factor in federal and provincial taxes. If you make 250,000 taxable income, you will pay 96,477.14 of combined taxes. Have a go at this site with your income Marginal Tax Rate Calculator by Walter Harder & Associates and compare. Use what ever province you like. Some are higher than others. Add on the unemployment insurance ($786.76/year) and CPP is 4.95% to a maximum of $2,217.60/yr. Of the remaining amount you pay 13% HST on everything you buy. Gas is $ 4.88 per gallon (1.29/litre). Municipal taxes for a 1500-2000 sq-ft house is approximately 2500.00 to 6000.00 although it can be much higher in some areas. A case of beer is 38.00, cigarettes are nearly 10.00. We don't get to right off our mortgage. Tax as a total of all our income is somewhere middle of the pack. Sure I want to see lower taxes, you bet and there is plenty of government plans I would axe in a heart beat. I'm actually relatively fiscally conservative and socially liberal.
As for your ex-slave problem, that was self inflicted and I'm sure your country could have done a much better job over the years with that outcome. Believe me, not all our immigrants are the most productive and our natives suck a huge amount of our taxes their way. Yes we have a social safety net that is fairly generous and of course as I said before, everyone gets health care. For the record, I would gladly pay for health care for everyone rather than have some useless war suck 1 billion dollars a day out of the economy. Although the like of Cheney sure didn't mind latching on to that gravy train, that now is sucking the life out of your country both literally and figuratively.
One thing is clear, if you keep doing the same thing, you can expect the same results.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:02 PM
SuperBike

Here's the basic truth about debts and deficits. It is really quite simple:

The 'Cut, Cap, and Balance' Fraud by Ron Paul
Old 08-26-2011, 03:38 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RCVTR
Here's the basic truth about debts and deficits. It is really quite simple:

The 'Cut, Cap, and Balance' Fraud by Ron Paul
Too bad Ron Paul won't make the primary, because even if I don't agree with him 100% he would be a real breath of fresh air for the country.

Voting for a republocrat 2012 (cause there ain't no substantive difference between republicans and democrats, they both want to wipe their bums with your money) is voting for the demise of this country.

I encourage everyone to vote any other party in 2012, I don't care if it is communist or anarchist, green or libertarian just vote anything but republican or democrat. It's LONG past time we threw the bums out.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:31 PM
MAB
Squid

MAB is on a distinguished road
I'll just leave this link here. If you want to understand how our monetary system works, you should watch this. Don't just assume you understand how the system works.

Money As Debt (1 of 5) - YouTube

Its a poorly drawn cartoon, but set up so that anybody can easily understand it.