Everything Else Anything and everything NON-VTR related

anyone here ride dirtbikes or dualsports?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 08:41 AM
Squid

oneshot is on a distinguished road
anyone here ride dirtbikes or dualsports?

just wondering......

i have a klx400r for trail riding. also have a plated and legal xr650r.
i'm planning a trip to big bend in south texas in january to explore
some backroads, 4wd roads, and goat trails.....can't wait!

anyone else here into the dirty side of motorcycling?
Old 11-20-2007, 08:59 AM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
Dirt is fun too!

I have a '96 Suzuki DR200se thats plated and used for both street and dirt - its cheaper to have it registered than a ticket if a conservation officer sees you on the roads near the state areas that allow riding... My aunt has land near 1000+ acres of state forest that I ride in and they do ticket folks.

Its a fun little bike with the convenience of electric start Someday will move up to a 400 or 650 but for the few hundred miles I put on it a year its fun.

Last edited by RickB; 11-20-2007 at 06:12 PM. Reason: add pic
Old 11-20-2007, 09:00 AM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
Yuppers!! Just picked up a new 08 KLR 650 a few weeks ago..Love it!! Best of Both, er all worlds! Still breakin her in, so not doing any long trips, or crazy off roading yet...just hit 200 miles yesterday...

I like the klx would love to pick one up for extreme off road stuff...

Next bike is a KLR 250 for my son, so it will be street legal...
Old 11-20-2007, 09:06 AM
MotoGP

ghopki1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by oneshot
just wondering......

i have a klx400r for trail riding. also have a plated and legal xr650r.
i'm planning a trip to big bend in south texas in january to explore
some backroads, 4wd roads, and goat trails.....can't wait!

anyone else here into the dirty side of motorcycling?
I go dirty all the time. CRF450R.....
Old 11-20-2007, 09:11 AM
Back Marker

thegreep
I have a KTM 400 exc That I ride when I can. Did a couple desert races this summer, that was some fun!
Old 11-20-2007, 09:33 AM
Back Marker

Yardstick
That's my first love. I've got a KTM520SX and an XR600. The 600 is going to get passenger pegs so my wife can ride on the back. She likes riding in the dirt (on the back) better than riding on the street.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:24 AM
Back Marker

SD Hawk is on a distinguished road
Tool around on my xr600 quite a bit. Actually commute to work once in a while (only 8 miles). Feels like the SUV of bikes.....

no curb to high, no sidewalk to safe!
Old 11-20-2007, 10:32 AM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by ghopki1
I go dirty all the time. CRF450R.....
Same here, CRF450R in the Woods and on MX tracks half the year and then the other half of the year she is a mean 100 MPH Street Legal SuperMotard as well as occasional Barber Track Day.

I put as many or possibly more miles this spring and summer on the street with the CRF than i did on the VTR.

SuperMotard and Dirt Bikes are my first love.....

If i had to make a choice between asphalt and Dirt, dirt wins everytime.

Here is pic before i installed lights..
Name:  DSCF0132.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  103.3 KB

And after lights at the gap
Old 11-20-2007, 10:40 AM
Back Marker

KC-10ENG is on a distinguished road
Hey Guys,

I just purchased a KLX300 a few months ago and have been having a really good time on it!

Dennis
Old 11-20-2007, 11:32 AM
SuperSport

Death Cattle is on a distinguished road
ive got a 2004 crf250x and ive been riding my whole life. there's nothing like it. im looking at the new klx450f. that thing is damn cool.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:06 PM
MotoGP

Nice 04 ? Thumper.

I have often wondered how mine would do in supermoto trim.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:07 PM
MotoGP

Here is my baby.
Attached Thumbnails anyone here ride dirtbikes or dualsports?-crf450r-005.jpg  
Old 11-20-2007, 01:11 PM
SuperSport

Hotbrakes is on a distinguished road
'02 YZ250F that I used to race. Now I ride it about once a year, but just can't bring myself to sell my roots.
How do converted MX bikes perform on the street? Maybe that's what she needs so she can be back on her pedestal in the center of the garage and out of the corner.
Thumper- How much did you spend roughly on your conversion?
Old 11-20-2007, 01:22 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by Thumper
Same here, CRF450R in the Woods and on MX tracks half the year and then the other half of the year she is a mean 100 MPH Street Legal SuperMotard as well as occasional Barber Track Day.
supermoto kicks a$$... i have a set of 17s for my klx w/ street tires complete w/ rear sprocket and front wave rotor. got a self contained front brake setup (caliper, master cylinder, lines) and a chain.....takes about
45 minutes of swaping parts and tweaking suspension to convert my cushy trail bike into a bada$$ curve carver.......

but i think i might sell all that stuff and get a set up for the xr.....now that would be some serious fun
Old 11-20-2007, 01:25 PM
Back Marker

bkelsey
00 XR400 converted with Baja Kit for Dual Sporting.
03 KDX200 for Enduro and Harescramble duty.

Looking at picking up an 08 KLR650 in the spring for back road commuting.
KC996, any problems with the new and improved KLR?
Old 11-20-2007, 01:30 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by Hotbrakes
'02 YZ250F that I used to race. Now I ride it about once a year, but just can't bring myself to sell my roots.
How do converted MX bikes perform on the street? Maybe that's what she needs so she can be back on her pedestal in the center of the garage and out of the corner.
i can't answer for thumper, but when i bought my xr650r, it cost me $650 to have a baja kit installed and state inspection done. then was around $50 to get the license plate......the baja kit included a new headlight w/
a high/low beam, horn, battery, tail/brake light, switch for the lights, brake light switch, key.
got all this done at the shop, but would have been a lot less if i did the installation myself.....
Old 11-20-2007, 04:16 PM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
Wow, motorcycles seem to be a passion.

I have a 86 XL600R that I learned to ride on this summer. Not a lot of dirt yet, but next summer will definitely be different.

I also have a vintage Trials bike, a 86 TLR200. She needs some work to get running again. Will be fun to learn how to do the trials stuff. She's street legal also.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:51 PM
SuperBike

Nice 04 ? Thumper.

I have often wondered how mine would do in supermoto trim.
Well lets just say the sportbikes are like a cruiser when it comes to carving curves on a Supermoto.

These things way like 250 lbs, 55-60hp and can turn so friggin quick.

I have to remind myself and my buddies when they are out riding with me to not follow me at the supermoto pace thru tight turns or they may end up doing some off road of their own on a sportbike. You would be amazed how different it is to SportBike riding. Really no comparison. Rarely do you even need brakes as you have such a nimble quick turning bike that you just rip thru the turns.

Besides laying down a dirtbike is not the same as crashing a SportBike. One you usually have already flipped down a dirt hill or hit a tree or even burrowed in a mud hole, so you not as worried about a scratch here or there. The other if you even drop it in your garage you got hundreds if not thousands of plastic damage.

If you ever get the opportunity try it.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:56 PM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
I wish my Xl600R was a little more speedy. Hmm, I know where I can get a big bore kit for it.

The tires right now are Metzelers, and they are a compromise between on/off-road. Might have to try some straight up road tires.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:06 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Hotbrakes
Do it dude, you will park the sport bike for a while and be ear to ear grin in your helmet. I wouldn't convert if you live somewhere in the flat lands and do not have back country twisty roads to play on. Flat land would be boring on a SM.

It is not cheap, but if you are like me, i ride Dirt and now street on the CRF, so it was cheaper than buying another street bike and i can ride her year round on some type of surfice.

Wheels - if you watch ebay, craiglist, etc, you might pickup a set for $600 -800 (New $1200)
I had to add a DC/AC stator to the CRF to get DC voltage to run a Rear Baja Designs LED Tail / Brake light kit and a Acerbis Front light. I added a TrailTech Voltage Regulator and a little $7.00 NIMH battery to keep the voltage steady at 14 volts so the head light doesn't go dim when idling.

I also added a small hydralic activated banjo bolt on the rear Master Cylinder to actuate the rear brake light. Turn signals are optional in TN so i just use the old arm turn signal.

Other than that i already had a bigger flywheel (+13 oz over stock) with larger magnets for stator that i used in the tight woods riding i do to keep from stalling the bike.

i run a 15/39 sproket setup and with my Garmin GPS (Odometer/speedometer)mounted on the handlebar i have hit 99 plus MPH at Barber. That works out to 16 teeth over all smaller sproket on the rear. Stock is 14/54. She has a 2.0 gallon tank and i can get 85 miles out of one tank. Gas stations are everywhere. I decided to forgore the $200 bigger tank and just stop for gas.

It's really no big deal to pull out in first gear. She never get hot, even in the middle of the summer in high 90 degree weather you would have to get caught at 3 or 4 traffic lights in a row or dead stop traffic for her to over heat. Once you start moving the huge radiator shrouds quickly cool her back down. I averaged 130 degree temps all summer as there is no thermostat and fluid is quickly cooled.

It takes some $$ to convert. If i were you i would first make sure you can get a legal tag for it before spending the $$.

I know long long reply. Funny i am eat up with SuperMoto street riding, but she is back to her True dirt form for the winter and we have been rippin it up in the woods for a couple of months now.

Last edited by Thumper; 11-20-2007 at 05:09 PM.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:12 PM
SuperBike

Here is my baby.
How do you like the 490 kit.

I considered it when i upgraded the intake valves to SS and better valve springs. The CRF has got to be one of the easiest engines ever invented to work on.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:17 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Erik S.
I wish my Xl600R was a little more speedy. Hmm, I know where I can get a big bore kit for it.

The tires right now are Metzelers, and they are a compromise between on/off-road. Might have to try some straight up road tires.

These will be my next set up SM tires. They are highly reccomended by Streetard riders that have and occasional back country gravel or dirt road they want to try.

Avon Distanzia
http://www.onoffroad.com/Merchant2/m...AL-SPORT-TIRES
Old 11-20-2007, 05:53 PM
Deus vult!
Back Marker

Mr Toad is on a distinguished road
I sold my '05 KLR to purchase my '98 hawk. I miss the KLR when I ride past a dirt road that needs exploring. It's also great fun on the twisty frost-heaved and pothole filled roads that we have up here

However, as soon as I nailed the throttle and nothing happened I'd be wanting my 'Hawk back. It's hard to compete with the sound and feel of a 'Hawk as you run it through the gears!
Old 11-21-2007, 03:08 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Thumper
How do you like the 490 kit.

I considered it when i upgraded the intake valves to SS and better valve springs. The CRF has got to be one of the easiest engines ever invented to work on.
Love the 490 kit. It gives lots more hp down low but takes away a little above 10K. If I remember correct on the hp chart sent with the kit it basically gives you 5 more hp from 3K to 9K then evens out and takes away @2 hp on top. I never hit the rev limiter on this monster anyway so it suits me perfect.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:10 AM
Sexual Daredevil
SuperSport

Location: Mother Earth- orbiting around Charlotte, NC. But now over the border in S.C.
motojoe is an unknown quantity at this point
17 off-road bikes and 1 SuperHawk are in my stable. I ride MX and trails and ATVs.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:00 AM
SuperBike

You go motojo, thats the right ratio for sure. I forgot to mention i got an ATV too.
Damn dirt riding is so much fun. No pokey to chase after you for going WFO.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:24 AM
Back Marker

spdrcr is on a distinguished road
I started in the dirt too. I still have a '94 YZ250 although it is pieces after the transmission siezed on me during a hare scramble. Took it apart and got into car racing. It will be put back together this winter. Still a fast bike.

I have been looking at getting a dual sport again. My first street bike was an NX250.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:30 AM
Back Marker

fundgh is on a distinguished road
KDX220

I got the dirt fever too! I just like the street because it is so much more accessible. Open the garage, punch the starter, twist the throttle. Here in Cali, I have to load up the gear, drive an hour+ to access some limited (but good) riding areas. So it is not something I can do every week. Also getting something with a license plate is much more difficult.

For those considering the Super Moto set-up: I have read quite a bit about people using the standard size wheels with good street tires, and have said the 17's aren't necessary for sane street/twisty riding. Having not tried it myself, I can't say, I would certainly try throwing some street rubber on your big wheels before investing in the full motard setup.
Attached Thumbnails anyone here ride dirtbikes or dualsports?-bike-compressed.jpg  
Old 11-21-2007, 09:18 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by fundgh
. Here in Cali, I have to load up the gear, drive an hour+ to access some limited (but good) riding areas.
I hear ya, i got to drive at least an hour to ride in several different places, but 2 or 3 hours ripping it up in the woods is worth it.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:18 PM
SuperSport

Hotbrakes is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the reply Thumper. I think I just found my winter project...just need a sponsor.

Quick Reply: anyone here ride dirtbikes or dualsports?